April 25, 2024, 08:23:29 PM

Author Topic: Limited Beckham runs out of tricks as wide boy  (Read 4316 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Limited Beckham runs out of tricks as wide boy
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:25:17 AM »

The Times    March 09, 2006

Limited Beckham runs out of tricks as wide boy

Rick Broadbent finds there is something missing from the armoury of the England captain these days
DAVID BECKHAM’S difficulty with his son’s maths homework is fitting enough because something else does not quite add up. The galáctico is captain of his country and, as far as his league form goes, often lord of the manor, too.

Yet there is a perennial campaign that paints him as the thoroughbred show pony, someone for the marketing men to put their shirt on. He was coming home to debunk the myths.

Real Madrid’s modest achievements of late, plus the arrival of a less starry-eyed president, have resulted in the flaws in the galáctico method being exposed. Arsenal themselves know that the sum is more important than the individual parts. Before their triumph in the Bernabéu a fortnight ago, they had wowed Europe by humbling Inter Milan 5-1 in the San Siro in November 2003. On that day they had no Patrick Vieira, but they did have Michael Papadopoulos on the bench.

Real were out of the traps fast last night, like a pack of greyhounds rather than the startled rabbits of the first leg, and Beckham provided his signature trait in the early exchanges, a lustrous cross-field pass from the right that found Zinédine Zidane on the left edge of the Arsenal penalty area and exposed Emmanuel Eboué for the second time in a nervous opening.

Soon afterwards, Beckham was charging down the left flank. It was an inconsequential few seconds, but they highlighted why managers love him. He is less of a genius than a high-class trier. Think souped-up Capri rather than Rolls-Royce. When he was dragging England, single-handed, through their mediocrity, capped with that free kick against Greece at Old Trafford in 2001, it was his hyperaction that was his trademark. That is why Peter Taylor is still proud that he was the first to give him the captain’s armband for England.

But the trouble with Beckham is two-fold. First, he is limited as a central midfield player. He tackles in hope and with one eye on the escape route. So play him wide, as Real did, except he is no natural winger. It is the old complaint. He does not tackle, he has no trick, he has only moderate pace and he is average in the air. Add to the list of shame that he was up against a makeshift full back in Mathieu Flamini and you have a decent agenda for any radio phone-in. “Big questions will be asked,” Beckham said afterwards. Robbie Savage once said that all people see in himself is “hair and someone running their bollocks off”. Savage is the Millets version of the galáctico, but the same might be said of Beckham. The big difference is that Beckham is a clean striker of the ball and therein lies the tale of his career. One 40-yard free kick last night had shades of the truest galáctico, Ronaldinho, about it, almost catching out Jens Lehmann, the Arsenal goalkeeper, and making one wonder whether he meant it.

But the trouble with being an attention-seeker is that you get the attention when it goes wrong. It was Beckham catching the spotlight as he failed to show England that Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, had been wrong all along or that he is notably better than Shaun Wright-Phillips.

It perhaps says it all about his stock that, when pub talk turns to the players who need to perform well to win the World Cup, Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard top the list. Last time, Beckham had a broken metatarsal and he made the News at Ten. This summer he needs to prove that he is not a broken Meta-man and make the myths reality.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Limited Beckham runs out of tricks as wide boy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 08:57:10 AM »
Beckham was always overated in my books. Close him down quickly and shut down his crosses and he is ineffective. Imagine a fella tellin me last week that Beckham is a better winger than Figo when Figo was in his prime and the funny thing is de fella doesnt do drugs.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

MickeyRat

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:00:10 AM »
2 words..Avery John

hard jam, plenty pain to get...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:07:30 AM »
Beckham was always overated in my books. Close him down quickly and shut down his crosses and he is ineffective. Imagine a fella tellin me last week that Beckham is a better winger than Figo when Figo was in his prime and the funny thing is de fella doesnt do drugs.

Even now Figo is a better winger than Becks........Figo is a natural winger.....and he still has game....anyone who follows Inter would agree with me.

Becks is not a natural winger. Beckham is midfielder with an incredible right foot, who is not enough of a commanding general to be a dominant central midfielder...so he's often pushed out to the wing.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline FATZ

• Hero Warrior
  • I SELL FOOTBALL JERSEYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 09:16:39 AM »
2 words..Avery John

Beckham only reaching Avery(that is if Avery actually plays) when the match done, to shake his hand and say good luck in the 2nd rounds. :rotfl: :rotfl:
WELCOME TO DINSLEY OUT IN THE STREETZ THEY CALL ME FATZ

Without Him, I am nothing but with Him I can do all things. Phil 4:13

MickeyRat

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »
2 words..Avery John

Beckham only reaching Avery(that is if Avery actually plays) when the match done, to shake his hand and say good luck in the 2nd rounds. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Na dread, Avery starting....

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:25:02 AM »
And we done know pretty boy like to skip from from tackle. Avery just have to put one blade on him and he not going back or jus tell Cyd to switch sides and hit him.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 10:45:39 AM »
Beckham was better when he was at Man U.  He used to run forward back then.  Now he only hangs back and plays long passes.

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 11:02:37 AM »
So Beckham couldn't make the T&T team then?

If Beckham wasn't such a pretty boy people would get off his case and realise what a world class footballer he really is.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »
You dont have to mark beckham just limit his space and close down his angles for the crosses ...he is a smart player people only criticize him because they are unable to find out why he has been so successful with so little flamboyance....its quite simple if you think about it...it's a matter of compensating for your shortcomings.
1)in terms of pace he's not the quickest but he is extremely fit similar to yorke you'll never see him walking on the field he's always working doesnt matter how talented or quick you are if you're unfit you can't do a damn thing.
2) he is not the best one on one player so what he doesnt create in the dribble he creates in the delivery of the cross from whereever he is and he is still the most accurate deliverer of the deadball in those situations love him or hate him as talented figo or ronaldinho is they dont have anything on him in terms of his delievery and all of the haters know this as well. Beckham can easily hit a bending delivery from the half line behind the defence bending back into the path of his strikers with the correct backspin his weigting of his delieveries  are perfect and that is an extremely difficult thing to do because people normally hit it with too much bend or too straight..bigups to him
3) In terms of tackling...his technique is poor but....he never gives up always hassling and harrying you thats the worse kind of player to play against in the middle one who is fit and will always keep annoying you even when you beat him like three times  always get a toe or put you off just a bit by being in the way.
4) Belief and pride in his play he is very proud to be the england captain and he values this and will never give up even when his game is down....after all this criticism he has recieved over the years he is still here and still keeps coming back...Mentally he is strong and will keep fighting his detractors....

Dunno bout allyuh but he not crying bout real supporters hating him he just say he'll come back i think the only time he really talk much is when he was leaving manu cuz he really love that club and when yuh get into his family and personal life other than that he does his talkig on the field....
NB i think avery can do a good job on his man to man but  he has to understand he doesnt have to close down the man else he'll just get cards he has to close down space because beckham's technical ability is first class

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 11:07:26 AM »

If Beckham wasn't such a pretty boy people would get off his case and realise what a world class footballer he really is.

Some would argue that if Beckham wasn't such a pretty boy he wouldn't be as popular as he is...........or  even further and say that if he wasn't a pretty boy, and he wasn't British, he'd be even way less popular.........

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 11:18:36 AM »
Sounds like men jealous doesnt matter if he is a pretty boy he is a hardworker and no one can deny that i rather a pretty boy who does work than one who doesnt

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 11:27:30 AM »

Some would argue that if Beckham wasn't such a pretty boy he wouldn't be as popular as he is...........or  even further and say that if he wasn't a pretty boy, and he wasn't British, he'd be even way less popular.........

Ngozi summed him up well, he is a tryer and does his talking on the pitch. All fans love a player who gives 100% every game and plays for his shirt and He would be popular with the England fans if he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle!

I like the guy, he is a first class professional and a good family man. There are a lot of footballers who should follow his example.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 11:39:52 AM »

Ngozi summed him up well, he is a tryer and does his talking on the pitch. All fans love a player who gives 100% every game and plays for his shirt and He would be popular with the England fans if he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle!

I like the guy, he is a first class professional and a good family man. There are a lot of footballers who should follow his example.

he has a great right foot, and his work rate is admirable.......

The press, his glamorous lifestyle and his good looks have raised his stock though....that's so much more than just my opinion, I almost want to say it's a fact.........not his fault though...in fact more power to him..........

If Ronaldinho looked like Beckham, and was british.........just imagine....

GO MADRID !!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:42:06 AM by kicker »

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »

he has a great right foot, and his work rate is admirable.......

The press, his glamorous lifestyle and his good looks have raised his stock though....that's so much more than just my opinion, I almost want to say it's a fact.........not his fault though...in fact more power to him..........

If Ronaldinho looked like Beckham, and was british.........just imagine....

GO MADRID !!

No doubt about that. I worked for Vodafone who sponsored him directly for the simple reason he is one of the most instantly recognised people in the world. Men love him because he is a great footballer, women love him because he is a pretty boy. He is admired as a family man, a sportsman and a style icon.

Real Madrid recovered the transfer money in a few months just on the number of shirts they sold in the far east (Jananese girls are obsessed with him).

Looks sell, which is why I'm poor ;D

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »
Wether he is a pretty boy or not is not the issue. Would you pick Beckham in your world 11 or your world second 11? I not goin to take nuttin away from d man he is d probably d best crosser in the world and although he  hasnt been scoring free kicks regularly, he is still a threat on top d box. He real fit but I would not say that Beckham is world class though

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 06:37:41 PM »
beckham is a very good football player but not the best........it's just that with the type of popularity he has people expect alot more from him........stuff that he isnt capable of or is not part of his game......beckham may not be the best player but he's good at what he does and he's an excellent midfielder

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 09:38:55 PM »
Beckham isnt anything special

He just has one heck of a right foot..............and he uses it very well

Skill for skill.....he is ordinary

But vision amd passing ability from anywhere on the field..................there is no one better

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 02:47:03 AM »
Beckham isnt anything special
But vision amd passing ability from anywhere on the field..................there is no one better

That sound kinda special to me!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 03:54:44 AM »
Good captain as well, He leads by example.

When England drew against Greece to qualify for the last world cup, he ran something like 10 miles in that game.

He's main rival for England is Sean Wright Phillips, a guy who is very fast and very tricky, but does not have the vision and crossing ability of Beckham. For me Beckham is an automatic choice for the England team and whilst not the best in the wolrd by a l.ong way, he could make a world 11, but certainly a world "Squad".

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »
I would not say that Beckham is world class though

That's a little rediculous yuh don't think ? He might not be the best in the world, but to say he's not World class. You must know something that all the best coaches in the world don't.

Skill for skill.....he is ordinary

That sounding like the typical Trini extremely narrow defintion of skill.........what kinda skill are you talking about ?? "a spanner and drag" ??

the man has a terribly skilful right foot.......
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:31:47 AM by kicker »

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 08:53:05 AM »
Skill don't mean a thing if you don't know how to use it.

Lomana Lua Lua is one of the most skillful players in the Premiership, but he would not even make the England team let alone a world team.

Offline Benjie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 07:49:13 PM »
Skill don't mean a thing if you don't know how to use it.

Lomana Lua Lua is one of the most skillful players in the Premiership, but he would not even make the England team let alone a world team.

That is the definition of skill - ability backed by the knowledge to use it at the appropriate time.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »
He's main rival for England is Sean Wright Phillips, a guy who is very fast and very tricky, but does not have the vision and crossing ability of Beckham.

I'm actually more worried about facing SWP than Becks. I think his pace and dribbling ability would cause more problems for our defence than Beckham's crosses. The one area where I'd be worried about Beckham is freekicks anywhere around the 18yd box.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>