April 19, 2024, 04:32:39 PM

Author Topic: We Must Be Represented at the Concacaf Champions Cup  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
We Must Be Represented at the Concacaf Champions Cup
« on: March 09, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
Looking on last night I was thinking how our absence from this tournament was a wasted opportunity to develop our local teams and players even more.  If our league is to gain respectability and exposure, then the PFL must ensure that a repeat of no representation due to the financial impotence of Grande United is never repeated.  All of these tournaments add up in terms of exposing our local based players to top class opposition.  It could have been us playing Club America last night.  We are behind a lot of the countries in Concacaf, in terms of club development.  Costa Rica's Saprisa seem to hold their own against MLS teams, and rallied from 0-2 down to win 3-2 against the Galaxy last night.  Portmore were somewhat overmatched, but it was a good opportunity to play against a superior opponent.  We need to participate and take these tournaments more seriously, if our football is to progress.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: We Must Be Represented at the Concacaf Champions Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
Wheeey! so Saprissa actually came back and won the game...I'm glad, I thought they were done for after the first half and switched the channel. I also felt like one of our teams should have been there and was a bit upset by their absence. Maybe next year.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 10:10:03 AM »
Looking on last night I was thinking how our absence from this tournament was a wasted opportunity to develop our local teams and players even more.  If our league is to gain respectability and exposure, then the PFL must ensure that a repeat of no representation due to the financial impotence of Grande United is never repeated.  All of these tournaments add up in terms of exposing our local based players to top class opposition.  It could have been us playing Club America last night.  We are behind a lot of the countries in Concacaf, in terms of club development.  Costa Rica's Saprisa seem to hold their own against MLS teams, and rallied from 0-2 down to win 3-2 against the Galaxy last night.  Portmore were somewhat overmatched, but it was a good opportunity to play against a superior opponent.  We need to participate and take these tournaments more seriously, if our football is to progress.

ternorsaw did you see the game How did lowe play though?  
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:31:51 AM »

i agree. de teams in pro league should enter these tournaments. players get better,  teams get noticed,  better players come down,  and more money to put into de youth system.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:40:26 AM »

ternorsaw did you see the game How did lowe play though? 

Lowe was not selected for whatever reason.  Portmore looked disjointed, disorganized at the back, and their goalkeeper was very shaky.  They seemed in over their head, even though they managed to score.  Club America used this as a chance to try some new, talented players.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 10:54:44 AM »
I think people need to atleast start attending PFL games for the league to be commercially viable, then maybe we'll get somewhere. I have no motivation to go to any of the games, I would go to an intercol match much quicker.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 11:03:29 AM »
It's a pity we are not represented in this tournament by our clubs every year and that's understandable, because it takes a lot financially and most of our clubs can't afford it,i think finance is the main reason they don't participate.Back in the day DF always took part at times Police did,i think Palo Seco took part one time and more recently Jabloteh and W Connection,if you look at the trend it's teams who can afford too.

For DF to play in this tournament every year we did a lot of fund raising eg Carnival fete,sold drinks for Christmas,run a Six-a-side tournament plus money we won in the league etc it can be done but i think a lot of clubs just not organized or prepared for this undertaking.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:19:19 AM by Coop's »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 11:11:03 AM »
Anybody know what the financial rewards of the tournament are. Like how much do the teams win?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 12:47:03 PM »
It would be nice for teams to represent us at these tournaments but we not representing the teams locally. I thnk everybody agrees that the teams need to idnetify with a community base cause without that backing they will go nowhere. I think that is one of the things the A - LEague teams have done well. Central coast has a good backing. Playing for the pride of a community can be a great inspiration. It also allows the media to hype the game and draw attention. That is why men can watch an Intercol game. No matter how much $hit your team play you wouldn't care. Once they fought hard and represented you would think you got your money's worth. It is alos an opportunity to meet old boys and see how the school going. Nice lime!!!
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 09:10:23 PM »
I was shocked when the TT team decided to drop out.  It is a shame!  If weant our players to develop and our league to get any type of respect, we cannot avoid these kinds of tournaments.  Do you mean that our champion team can't find a way to compete in a regional tournament?  What kind a  players we expect to produce at home?
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 06:42:21 PM »
Don't worry , when Diego FC start playing in the PFL we will Represent.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 06:53:54 PM »
Its just a hard luck N.E stars couldnt find the funds.

Jab and W have held their own when it comes to Cbbean opposition but always falter against MLS teams.

That last playoff against the Chicago fire just goes to show someting does jest be wrong.

Also when Jab play metrostars down here in a friendly Jab control the game and still lorse.

But these championship games are usually well attended with riddim section and ting.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

1]; } ?>