April 20, 2024, 02:05:17 AM

Author Topic: Stickmen in Australia  (Read 7262 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Stickmen in Australia
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:45:24 PM »
WE REACH!

We arrived in Melbourne, Australia this morning (6:30) Melbourne time. I think we're 15 hours ahead of T&T time.

I will post updates of our progress at the Games.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stickmen in Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 06:00:17 AM »
How are T&T's chances against the other teams in the group?

India would be the favourites no?

In squash, I know our two boys are in for some cut arse, though Colin has a chance in his first game, but after that he'll end up playing a seeded Aussie :whip:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:04:26 AM by R45 »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »
We are the lowest ranked team in the competition at 23rd in the world. The number 1 team in the world and favourites to win are the hosts Australia. The team is confident that we will be competiting for a semifinal spot (top 2 in the group). Based on our ranking and international experience it is going to take a bit of work, but I don't think it is beyond us at all.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 10:13:05 AM »
I see, well best of luck and do us proud :beermug:

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »
more of the athletes are starting to mingle now. The squash boys are young. As usual the track athletes stick to themselves and it's like pulling teeth to get a hello out of them. Only Ayanna Hutchinson seems to be a polite person.

Usual little injury concerns, but everyone is ready for the Games to start.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 07:51:07 PM »
more of the athletes are starting to mingle now. The squash boys are young. As usual the track athletes stick to themselves and it's like pulling teeth to get a hello out of them. Only Ayanna Hutchinson seems to be a polite person.
Not surprising, I really don't have great things to say about Darryl, Marc and some of the others based on experiences, but I'll keep that to myself.

Yeah the squash boys young. Josh is 16 and Colin must be 21/22, can't remember. It'll be a good experience for them, regardless of the results. Thanks for the updates.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 07:59:12 PM by R45 »

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 09:07:34 AM »

Good Luck brudda.....most importantly, all yuh have fun down there too and REPRESENT!.....

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 01:05:55 PM »
I forgot to ask, how was your results in the friendlies with scotland, england, and the other teams?

How's the team looking overall?

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 05:16:32 PM »

Gordo,
Good luck at the Games.  Take it easy on de track fellas....it have a reason for that, it kinda unfortunate but that is how it is..i will explain later.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 08:32:17 PM »
good luck breds  :beermug: hope u guys are in the top 3

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 01:49:21 PM »

From the opening ceremony

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 05:19:53 AM »
Aren't those the ugliest outfits you've ever seen? My goodness! I will never buy Meiling if that outfit is what I have to work with. As a group we didn't look to bad in it, but it was an awful outfit in so many ways.

Our one gymnast, Ananda, cannot recover from her ankle injury and is officially out of the Games. Nice young lady, too bad for her.

The table tennis guys lost to England and Singapore 3-0 and 3-0, but beat Barbados 3-1. I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet, but I'm pleased that they beat the Bajans. They didn't seem too positive up to yesterday. The younger guys on the team can learn a lot from Anthony and Reeza in terms of attitude and preparation.

The squash team also lost today. I am not sure who else went into competition today. We play tomorrow against South Africa. I believe our start time is 1:00 am T&T time. We have two fairly serious injury concerns, but the rest of the team is fit and ready to go. I'm certainly getting nervous, but I feel confident. We've been improving steadily over the past 3 weeks in particular and the guys are psyched to create the upset.

We played 7 games in the UK including 2 against Scotland. We were hammered by the Scots 0-7 and 0-5. Both games were played in below freezing temparatures and it affected us more than it should have. Kudos to Scotland though who were better than us over the 2 games, even if the scoreline is a bit misleading in terms of game play. In the other games, against clubs, we drew one 2-2, lost one 4-3 and won the rest 3-0, 6-2 and 4-3.

Ato Modibo is a beast. Part of our recovery routine is ice baths. We have a big garbage bin that's been cleaned and converted into a stand in tub. It's filled with water and ice. You stand in it for about 5-10 minutes. It's one of the toughest things I've been in, but he just hopped in and asked for more ice.  ;D He's one of the few track athletes who talks to us. Cleopatra just got in and she seems friendly too.

Thanks for the interest guys. I'll continue to keep you posted.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 06:11:14 AM »
In Squash, Colin won his first match, but lost to the #3 Seed in the 2nd round. Josh lost his first round match. Infact, all Caribbean competitors were knocked out in the 2nd round in both the Ladies and Men.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 08:17:58 AM »
Aren't those the ugliest outfits you've ever seen? My goodness! I will never buy Meiling if that outfit is what I have to work with. As a group we didn't look to bad in it, but it was an awful outfit in so many ways.

Our one gymnast, Ananda, cannot recover from her ankle injury and is officially out of the Games. Nice young lady, too bad for her.

The table tennis guys lost to England and Singapore 3-0 and 3-0, but beat Barbados 3-1. I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet, but I'm pleased that they beat the Bajans. They didn't seem too positive up to yesterday. The younger guys on the team can learn a lot from Anthony and Reeza in terms of attitude and preparation.

The squash team also lost today. I am not sure who else went into competition today. We play tomorrow against South Africa. I believe our start time is 1:00 am T&T time. We have two fairly serious injury concerns, but the rest of the team is fit and ready to go. I'm certainly getting nervous, but I feel confident. We've been improving steadily over the past 3 weeks in particular and the guys are psyched to create the upset.

We played 7 games in the UK including 2 against Scotland. We were hammered by the Scots 0-7 and 0-5. Both games were played in below freezing temparatures and it affected us more than it should have. Kudos to Scotland though who were better than us over the 2 games, even if the scoreline is a bit misleading in terms of game play. In the other games, against clubs, we drew one 2-2, lost one 4-3 and won the rest 3-0, 6-2 and 4-3.

Ato Modibo is a beast. Part of our recovery routine is ice baths. We have a big garbage bin that's been cleaned and converted into a stand in tub. It's filled with water and ice. You stand in it for about 5-10 minutes. It's one of the toughest things I've been in, but he just hopped in and asked for more ice.  ;D He's one of the few track athletes who talks to us. Cleopatra just got in and she seems friendly too.

Thanks for the interest guys. I'll continue to keep you posted.

Nice Nice....the results not bad man....trust me those conditions not easy to play in, and I hope all yuh got to play in Peferrmills in Edinburgh cause that's a sweet turf.....

also the Scots will surprise teams in the Commonweatlh...they are prolly the most underated team in the tournament in my opinion.......

Good luck against South Africa boy...

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 05:05:36 AM »
We did play the first game at Peferrmills. Scotland played a really good game against Australia tonight and still lost 5-1. We played a good game against South Africa and lost 6-1 (5-0 at half time). We had a 10 minutes period where we went into a mad zone and were thoroughly punished for it. It was very clinical how they made us pay. We were more consistent in the second half and gave them a good run for their money. Malaysia tomorrow so we need to regroup and go again. Can't dwell on the losses.

The badminton team lost to England and India I believe. They have Seychelles to  play still. Table tennis lost a shocker to Jamaica and then beat Malawi. They play Fiji in the morning. I think the boxers get under way tomorrow as well. At least one of them does.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 05:25:57 AM »
The Malaysia vs T&T game is live on TV6 if anyone is interested

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 09:38:56 PM »
Oh gosh allyuh! We lost 8-0. Again we went down 5-0 at the half and again the opening goal scored around the same 17th minute mark as in the first game. From there the flood gates opened. We're having some problems getting good defensive work out of our forwards and suprising for this level we have players losing their marker because they are ball watching. Hopefully we can get it together soon since India and Pakistan will be viewing us as goal difference boosters.

Track and field started today. Fana scraped into the next round based on time. She came fourth in her heat. She's comfortably overweight and I don't expect her to even make the finals. Ayanna is in better shape and qualified from her heat. The guys looked good. Sour puss Jacey did what we expected him to do... he also had to rely on his time rather than the automatic spot, but like Fana he's not expected to even make the finals.

Just in... Darrel knocked out. Marc is through to the semifinals. Asafa is looking very good so far. Jacey is running soon.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 03:47:15 AM »
It keeps getting worse everytime I come on here. We lost 10-1 to India to say. We're just a cut behind these teams.

Fana and Ayanna both came 5th in the semifinal heats and are out of the 100 M finals. Jacey came 6th out of 6 and is also out. We thought he had an excellent chance with Frater and the Englishman false starting, but it was not meant to be. Asafa caused some concerns among the Jamaicans when he ran out of his lane looking at himself on the big tv in the stadium. They were all quite irate. Marc looked comfortable in winning his semifinal and we're hoping his form is good enough to beat Asafa. Nekeisha Charles is supposed to be running soon. I doubt I'll get back to the house to see it. I'm still routing for her.

From what we've heard Darrel is out of the Games with a grade 1 strain of his hamstring.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 02:45:03 PM »
padna....don't take this the wrong way...but those results aren't horrible...all yuh playing against the top countries in the world...this isn't barbados and dominica we playing....it was always going to be hard just to be competitive...so don't beat up all yuhselves...just take this as a learning experience...these games in my opinion should be used as warm up games for development purposes...we have a young team and we will get better.....remember the focus is on pan ams next year in brazil....i would actually boldly say the focus should be on qualification for the olympics in 2012...cause qulaification for the olympics in 2008 is going to be real hard...

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Canada 2 Trinidad 0
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 09:26:52 AM »
from the Canadian Hockey website www.fieldhockey.ca

March 24, 2006

Canada vs. Trinidad & Tobago : 2-0 (half-time: 2-0)

11’ 1-0 CAN, Mark Pearson, fg
12’ 2-0 CAN, Peter Short, fg

Canada played Trinidad & Tobago for the 9th-10th place with a depleted roster: Robin D’Abreo and Rob Short were out, Connor Grimes could only play for a couple minutes because of back spasms and Anthony Wright had to play with a mask to protect his face still badly bruised from the hit in the face suffered against England.

Trinidad & Tobago relied on a solid defense and fast counter-attacks led by Kwan Brown, who was as usual omnipresent organizing the Trinidadian game in defense and midfield.

Canada had control of the ball at the beginning of the game. On good work along the back line by Paul Wettlaufer, Mark Pearson recuperated the ball in front of the goal to score the first goal. Shortly after, Peter Short penetrates the circle on the left and scored a second goal with a superb reversed stick shot.

With two goals in two minutes, the crowd was expected a high scoring affair (as the opening act for the much anticipated semi-final between Australia and Malaysia), but the game settled. Canada had most of the possession but didn’t seem to want to take much risk and often temporized the game instead of pushing forward.

Neither team had a real opportunity for the remainder of the period (2-0 at the break).

With the appearance of the sun, Trinidad & Tobago suddenly pushed up the pace, had three successive spectacular shots on goal and earned a series of penalty corners. The Canadian were struggling to extricate themselves out of their defensive position and the crowd was now supporting the effort of the Trinidadian to come back in the game.

The players from Trinidad & Tobago were always a split second faster on the balls, and the Canadians had trouble keeping the ball when they earned a possession. They were only dangerous by Peter Short, the most active of the Canadian forwards today.

Canada finished the match short one player (yellow card for Scott Sandison), but Trinidad & Tobago could not score a goal to show for their clear dominance of the second period.

“We played this game with only 12 players and it is our third game in four days,” said Gene Muller, Coach of the Canadian Team, “so you are always caught between wanting to say that the guys did well because of the difficult circumstances and being critical of some of the aspects of our play. We’ll have time to look more critically prior to the Qualifier in China; today, I wanted to take the team positively thought the game”.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 06:07:06 AM »
This was an absolute heartbreaker. The only thing worse than this was the 4x100 relay team dropping the baton. The triple jumpers showed tonight but it was not enough to win a medal. Simon came 5th and Hercules came 7th. More impressive for his effort was Hercules who started cramping up late. It was a bit hot so he probably wasn't properly hydrated. The 4x400 team placed 6th in a race won by the Aussies. Not bad for a put together team.

Tomorrow is the last day. Emile Abraham is the only competitor I know of from T&T competing. More later.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 11:32:13 PM »
India is a big gun in hockey...we not in their league at all at all. Chalk it up as experience breds.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »
Actually India and Pakistan are no longer the top dogs in the game. They are both top 10 ranked team though. I'll post more on my thoughts of us in the Games later. For now, here are some pictures.

One of the hockey guys (Dillet) and Nekeisha Blake (Badminton).

The T&T medical staff at the games. They kept us going... we couldn't have done it without them.

Ananda Fraser, the gymnast, on the left and Karielle, one of the physios, on the right. That's before the opening ceremony.

Waiting to burst out onto the grounds of the MCG during the opening ceremony.

The 400M relay just won by Australia.

More pictures to come.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 07:28:05 AM »
Actually India and Pakistan are no longer the top dogs in the game. They are both top 10 ranked team though. I'll post more on my thoughts of us in the Games later. For now, here are some pictures.

One of the hockey guys (Dillet) and Nekeisha Blake (Badminton).

The T&T medical staff at the games. They kept us going... we couldn't have done it without them.

Ananda Fraser, the gymnast, on the left and Karielle, one of the physios, on the right. That's before the opening ceremony.

Waiting to burst out onto the grounds of the MCG during the opening ceremony.

The 400M relay just won by Australia.

More pictures to come.

keep the pics flowing man........yuh representing us well.......

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 07:31:43 AM »
India is a big gun in hockey...we not in their league at all at all. Chalk it up as experience breds.

Australia is number 1 now, and they are the brazil of hockey in the last 2 years.....that team is pure fyah....any team that face dem is like they playing against 14 not 11 players......

inida and pakistan dominated hockey in the 80's but not anymore(they are both 5th and 6th ranked in the world now though)....but teams like holland, spain, germany and australia in a class of their own....

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 03:40:43 PM »

T&T hockey boys warming up to play Pakistan

Australia vs. Pakistan in the final. Australia won 3-0

T&T hockey boys warming up to play South Africa

More of the same

Part of the opening ceremony

Le Juan Simon during the triple jump.

Again, more to come.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »

Roger Daniel - Our flag bearer for the closing ceremony

One of the hockey guys during the closing ceremony - the youngest member of our team

Another one of the hockey guys during the closing ceremony

Some of the T&T officials with athletes from India during the closing ceremony

Our cyclist, Emile, and 2 T&T officials

The New Zealand shot put and Commonwealth Games champion and one of the hockey players during the closing ceremony

T&T vs India prior to the start of the match

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »

A group of us hockey players waiting to go into watch the netball semifinals.

An artist in downtown Melbourne doing his stuff.

Down time in the village. The guys were playing All 4s.

Liming outside our house in the village.

Some of the hockey guys and Josh Pinnard (squash) raising a football.

I have lots more as long as you guys willing.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
keep dem comin Gordo
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 08:47:11 PM »
keep the pics flowing man....nicholas looking real funny in de pic wid de 2 girls.... :rotfl:

1]; } ?>