April 28, 2024, 04:01:05 PM

Author Topic: Triniwings match report.  (Read 3430 times)

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Triniwings match report.
« on: May 10, 2005, 09:33:08 PM »
Triniwings Match Report.

A brilliant day of pleasant sunshine was the setting within which I drove down to the Hasley Crawford Stadium to witness a friendly warm-up between my local Soca Warriors and 2004 PFL Champions, North East Stars. Somehow, there was a deep feeling of optimism in the air, that my Warriors would be a new team, playing with a greater sense of purpose and national pride that was seemingly absent in our Senior team of the fairly recent past.

I arrived at the venue exactly at 5:30p.m., and as I proceeded to the entry gates, to my pleasant surprise, ENTRANCE WAS FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was seated in Grounds at around the 4th minute of play (hence was not able to hear the starting line-up) and was anticipating a good contest.....here is what I got instead.................

Starting Line-up (could have some errors due to some player unfamiliarity).

Goalkeeper.
Duarance Williams

Defenders.
Atiba Charles
Derek King
Keyeno Thomas
Nigel Daniel

Midfielders.
Angus Eve
Densil Theobald
Aurtis Whitley (aka Otis Seaton - #10)
Arnold Dwarika

Forwards.
Gary Glasgow
#11 Michael Celestine

To sum things up in my uncharacteristic brief and frustrated match report, we played with no kind of cohesion, purpose and were totally outclassed by the Sangre Grande outfit!

Players' first touch were deplorable, and when placed under pressure which lasted for almost 90 minutes, un-professional errors and poor quality in their individual technique were severely exposed. At times, it would have been easier to support NE Stars, and the crowd, approximately 2,500 strong (I stand to be corrected) began to get behind the real Stars on the day.

Our defenders were unacceptable in terms of their trapping and controlling off the ball when placed under pressure.  They should all be replaced in my opinion, although some were worse than others. Their distribution out of the back always seemed to result in an interception or another playing unable to hold possesion of the ball. At times they were caught ballwatching while many NE Stars players made runs at them. When they tried to play the ball between themselves at the back, the passing of the ball were so bad that many players had to run after balls in empty space with players on their backs. It really looked like panic recovery at times. The T&T wingbacks were non-existent throughout the match, especially with respect to Nigel Daniel. So many on this board have praised his ability and work-rate, but I can confidently tell all on this board that he is not all that some claim him to be. Maybe it could be the strategy and formation that Leo B implemented, but his control and passing in tight spaces were a lot less to be desired. He was absolutely nothing offensively, as he hardly made overlapping at all. The same can be said about Derek King, who was played at the right back position. Thomas and Charles were just about average, and can be easily replaced by Andrews, Sancho, Cox....or even Anton Pierre for that matter.

The midfield was almost as disappointing because although some players did try their best, the distribution from the back was so poor, that they had to fight hard to collect the ball and create anything with the pressure that NE stars midfielders and defenders placed on them. The best midfielder on the day hands down for me was Densill Theobald.  Everytime he collected the ball, clearly there was some purpose and thought behind his decisions. He passed the ball well, distributed well, turned well, but somehow the T&T unit looked a bit disorganised in their positional play, and our midfield could not link well with our forwards. Theobald however, had an admirable work rate offensively and defensively, made some intelligent runs, distributed quickly, and was certainly one of the few players that Leo B could safely retain. Whitley played a fairly decent game, but it must be said, that a lot more was expected of the San Juan Jabloteh player. He really tried at times, and although his passing was decent, he was not as effective in midfield as probably Theobald was. Well as for Angus Eve, he did not have a good game at all. He was pretty much, an ordinary midfielder, that was non-existent and added nothing that another midfielder could have. I was anticipating a solid performance from him, but that is not what Leo B got. Dwarika also had a decent game, but as we all know him to be, he was inconsistent in his performance, however his effort was there to be seen. When he did play well, he added a little spark of creativity and unpredictability, but he did have a sitter saved by the goalkeeper about ten yards outsied goal midway in the first half. Dwaika seemed to play up-front at times, on the right on other ocassions and even drifted into center midfield. His positioning was a bit vague, but I am unable to comment on this, since I do not know what was Leo B's tactics on the day. Maybe he was instructed to play as a roaming midfielder, I do not know. He was certainly one of the best of a very bad lot today. His best play was when he was in midfield though, not up front.

Our frontline was the worst I have seen in years. Gary Glasgow (#9) and another player who I was unable to identify(#11 Celestine ?), lacked aggression, confidence and any kind of attacking instincts expected of modern strikers.  Glasgow was easily 8-10 times offisde in the match while Celestine really brought nothing to the team. Celestine did throw away a simple shot on goal on an almost 1v1 with the keeper, but selected to lay-off the ball for Glasgow who was nowhere in as good a position as he was. Besides that, I cannot recall any other goal scoring opportunities that came the way of the Soca Warriors. The offense was so minimal that the NE Stars goalkeeper began to do some light jogging and stretching laterally across the field, a considerable distance outside his penalty box. How embarrassing.

All in all, the Warriors were pre-occupied with defensive responsibilites in order to keep out the NE Stars. NE Stars did look quite menacing in attack, and really proved to Leo B, that there is not much between the players selected to represent T&T and other local players who were discarded or overlooked. Our players, especially our defenders and forwards were outhustled and showed little skill and technique in their first touch, passing, and movement in tight spaces. As a result, our passing and offensive attempts if any were either hustled with poor technique, very defensive, or lacked the confidence expected of players representing the twin-island republic. The backline was so defensive and at times displayed such a lack of confidence in their individual play and belief among themselves, that the ball was played back to the keeper so so so so many times that the keeper could have easily had one of the most touches in the game.

Not a good start for Leo B, but to be fair, he only had the team for a few days. Improvement is a must. There were substitutes, but I could not identify them and the PA system was very weak where I was sitting. They did not make any impact at all. I do remember Nigel Pierre being one of those.

Look like this was not so brief after all.

Anyways fellas....I tired and a bit disappointed.  Let us look forward to the next game.

I out

Laters

Tell meh wa alya tink...Feedback is welcomed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 05:28:16 AM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Triniwings match report
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 09:46:09 PM »
Like Touches a good report, but very different viewpoint. That is all good.
Patriot and Cowens's next. It is clear doh, that NE stars played quite well, and outshone the national selection. As stated, I am not surprised.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Triniwings match report
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 09:48:14 PM »
Triniwings, thanks for the report; allyuh men ah envy duh driv edown and watch the game is  exactly how I would like tuh spend my retirement in th enext couple of years  at home watching we boys!!!! and what a sight?

I mean these are we best local pros but hey dont worry  it's only a "fun warm up  come down to the grounds and run a sweat game"
 who care about score!!!!!! I mean dis eh we real side man wait till we big boys come down oh gad yuh go see ball; ah hope dey have a fete match aganist the same N.E. stars again. Man allyuh eh think  we big boys go do better?
Triniwings,  boy allyuh men could be roving or freeelance reporters.

10 days looks like we ought not to expect too much.

20 days maybe we could expect to score a goal next time

25 days of coaching we tie a game

one moth and four days maybe we beat Panama.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Triniwings match report.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 06:37:02 AM »
Out of de 3 reports yours kinda rough. I eh know who to believe, but 2 saying de team did ok and one say no, so I might go with de advantage..
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:16:58 AM »
If anybody here say dee team did ok......dey only foolin' deyself and others on this forum.  I agree that it was a training match and I agree it is by no means time to panic, but the team did NOT play ok.  I just write how I see it.  I don't post things to ensure others don't panic.  We have lots to improve on and lots to look forward to.  Yesterday was just not a good display from the warriors.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:31:08 AM »
Out of de 3 reports yours kinda rough. I eh know who to believe, but 2 saying de team did ok and one say no, so I might go with de advantage..

Touches and dem was sitting together.
Is really reports from two groups.

I think this just show we starting from the ground go up....not making modifications to what was already in place.

This game like half tryout half training.

It even sound like the formation change three times.  Once he getting plenty useful information he didn't know about before and need then it serve its purpose.  Maybe they should have 2day training camps and these kinda games on the 3rd day.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 08:31:38 AM »
I have to agree with you Sam.. Also he went to the hasely crawford stadium so maybe he see a different game...  ;D Triniwing I only kicksing. Thanx for the report, everybody have they own opion and I was not there so who am I to say anything...

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:44:27 AM »
No seen Sam.  Its only my opinion, and I write how I see it.  I am by no means a pessimist, and my past reports usually are realistic with a touch of optimism.  I just did not observe much positive things to walk away with after yesterday's performance thats all.  Thats why this is a message forum, we all have opinions, no one is right or wrong, we all have dee ame goal and passion....seen.

Good to see some appreciation:)

Laters

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 01:18:23 PM »
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!Thanks guys for your reports,they are very good,getting the different points of view will give every one a different prospective on what's going on with the team,lets keep the criticism constructive we all mean good for the team.
     I still don't like when people talk about when our (big boys) come the team will be better,that's left to be seen.

Offline Benjie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 02:06:06 PM »
After reading these reports I have to say I am happy not because I see an improvement but that the Coach was able to see the problems that our players have excecuting instructions. The fact that so many days of training were carried out and all that could be seen was players inability to understand their roles. What some see as improvement I see as the first step in learning. They were obviously told to hold position. This is easy for the pivot -Theobald because all he has to do is link the middle and the defence. For the rest they were obviously uncertain as to when they had to go or when they had to stay, so they did neither. All the incidents outlined say one thing they have been told to pass the ball, to actively make the ball do the work and this is a hard habit to break Whitley is a dribbler and runner to be told to pass more than do that is tantamount to him having both his legs broken. Eve plays best when running off the ball but his fitness does not allow him to play that way anymore. the Defence lacked a leader and a controller, someone to control the play from the back. that is something we need desperately. the fact is we need a sweeper to play defence right but we have no one at present in this team.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 08:19:44 AM »
From these reports and listening to beenie man, it looks like we'll be depending heavily on de foreign base.......Lord put ah hand,heaven help us!

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 01:49:33 PM »
Fellas from what i saw ..... and from reading the various post i can safely say that what was written by all is true. The local team didn't play badly nor did they play great either.

Sadly to say though...i doubt much of that team will be in the starting 11 and YES we must depend alot on the foreign based pros. Triniwings was a bit critical of some of the players ...but in my opinion some of it is justified  from what was displayed on the field not all.

Remember this fellas..... the local team had everythign to lose going into this match while NE stars had everything to gain. The Local boys were playing for the first time in a match situation for their new coach who everyone was aware was gonna make the next cut. Nobody wants to get cut.....You could see some of the pressure on the fellas as the game start .... alot of tentative play and uncertanity that may have led to the great number of mistakes.

To add insult to injury ...the man beenie cut score the very first goal against the same team he get cut from ....... pressure.

However TWeet game start ......local team moving in tandem. ball on the right the entire team move to the right .......ball swing left ....them fellas pack dey bags and move left with the ball. In defense the entire team behind the ball ....... you could see the pla laid down by beenie. At no time was the Local team in a position ehich they couldn't get out of good positioning by Theobald....always supporting the man with the ball. Dwarika at times was all over the pitch.....maybe beenie set him up with TSTT and there roaming features. But fellas ....Arnold tackling ....never thought i woulda seethe day .... but Dwarika tackling man. Lawd help us ...what this place coming to.

I'll jsut talk about those who stood out ....good, the bad .....and the ugly.

Good.
Theobald. Sure to be in the side come June 4th. This fella have skill and composure on the ball. read the play well and ably supported his teammates. Not a part of the starting 11 though ...but important sub in the middle especially when a little tempo is needed in the game just like against the USA.

Dwarika. Good but will/should improve. Looked at little out of sorts at times.....not sure if it was lack of match fitness but still showed some neat touches.

Bad.
M. Celestine. Not sure what position he was playing .....looked to be up front initially with Glascow but definitely not striker material .....it have no way any striker in the world will be basically 1 on 1 with a goal keeper alone to beat and pass the ball to the wide right to a man not even in a goal scoring position.

Eve.
definitely not Eve's better games. looked out of it for the majority of the game. Doesn't look like he has the mettle for a full 90 anymore. St.Clair used him well as a sub and that trend should continue. Maybe it just might be that better player brings out the best in him ....well we'll wait on the other warm ups to see.

Glascow.
Every break foot like this guy loses something..... he doesn't seem to have that pip he once had ... not sure what to make of it.

there was on other can't remember his name No #15. Andre could probably fill in his name. To much offside ....not sure if the tent he pitch could come down but ........ he'll have to compete with Carlos and Chris for that position ...and i feel that impossible.

Durance Williams.
This man does real frighten me ....every back pass i feel he will miskick. Doesn't command the back line like Clayton of have the calming influence like Shaka. Pray people Pray nothing happen to Clayton.

UGLY

the entire defense. Why Pierre get drop ah doh know. I hope St.Clair ain't let beenie man try non ah he weed. Give the man some high grade.

overall the inclusion of the foreign based with beenie's tactics should prove interesting. I just have a wait and see approach .....

Go Warriors Go.

Fellas it have hope
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 02:26:35 PM »
Nice report they cowen... when yuh really analyze it, all the reports mesh together.. just some from ah different skew than others
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>