June 16, 2024, 12:40:33 AM

Author Topic: Another racist encounter.  (Read 6962 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Another racist encounter.
« on: March 12, 2006, 03:39:16 AM »
Ah sit down last nite in de hotel bar with two pardners from Scotland (ah fed up on de mountain so ah take ah nite in town  ;D ;D). Anyhow de Portugal rugby team staying in de hotel an dey jus get beat bad by Georgia 40 - 0.
So i mining my business trying to understand wha de f**k mih scottish breds an dem saying wen one a de portugee fellas say he want mih stool........ what?
Ah watch de man an tell mihself is ah joke an continue about mih business, den a leave an went to penal. When ah come back de man on mih stool , so ah watch him an ask him if he comfortable.. nex ting i know he accusing mih of being rude an saying all kina ting about how black people have no respect.
Now ah was drinking ah German beer an dis beer in ah big heavy bottle , ah watch mih beer an ah watch he head, ah watch mih beer an ah watch he head, den a decide he head eh worth de price ah mih beer.

Now across here wen people see ah black man dey does stare an ting but is only out of curiosity.
De few occasions ah come across any kinda negative racial vibes was from so called Euro nationals.
So ah really concerned about boisterous trinis let loose in Germany an what could happe if we beat England an some ah dem skin head types decide to make trouble a, ah kno is only ah few of dem because ah working wid de English an Americans fuh years an is only on rare occassions ah come across any thing like mih bar experience.

But it bother mih so ah post it fuh some feedback.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 07:48:24 AM by Tallman »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Another racist encounter.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 03:59:48 AM »
Trinis will be a shocker for Germans. I can't wait to se it. I live here and I can tell you it go be fun to watch :devil:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:27:33 AM »
Fish ah hear ya loud and clear

My first day or I should say my first week at work, now mind you the company I work for has about 600 workers in it. Out of the 600, an estimate of 180 are minorities. That being said, minding my business, doing the people work, this Swedish guy (a minority) comes up and kept looking at me in this way. So I say to myself " must be meh perfume he like" so ah smile. Man watch me and dust it. Ah say alrighty.

Next day he comes back, now I don't put water in my mouth to say anything to anyone....ah ask him what wrong. Hear his response... and until I die I won't forget it. "Oh!! I've never seen a 'black' (man stress on the black) woman in a suit before....is that how you all normally dress from where you're from".

Fishs now ya hafta excuse meh french now... because that was my first time experience of a racist comment, and I didn't know how to respond. Infact my mother forgot to mention racism in her birds and bees speech.  I didn't know if I should have taken offense or take as a compliment, just the fact that the word 'black' was used rush meh blood to my head. I know now, to just smile and ignore.

I couldn't care if his name was Mr. Smith dey Managing Director or Mr Smith dey cleaner. I got up walked straight up to his face and whispered  "yes c**t, this is how we dress...but the next time you use the word black infront of me you white discolored pr*ck i'll re-arrange your f**king ignorance. Took 2 steps back and walked calmly back to my office as if nothing ever happened.

I spoke to a couple of my co workers about it, some said don't worry about it, others said I should have taken it up with his Manager. I let it slide.  But to this day that man would see me walking down the hall way towards him and he will go the other direction....he can't face me.

Fishs it really does affect you in a negative way - insecure is the word.....but ya know what, just smile and walk away. That will totally confuse the shit outta people...leave them wondering why didn't he/she respond ?  :beermug:

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 08:17:34 AM »
just be glad you not in the navy

cause i does deal with it here everyday

i lost rank last time ah man tell meh fellow trini(ah indian) if he forget to put on he turban

i does slap them when they tell me bout go back to my island and shyt like that

thats why all the money in the world cant keep me here in the usa

i go go back home so when some shyt like this happen i could deal with them better

i hate racism with ah passion and americans are the prime example of this shyt
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:09:09 AM »

i lost rank last time ah man tell meh fellow trini(ah indian) if he forget to put on he turban

i go go back home so when some shyt like this happen i could deal with them better

yuh know in all my years in de Navy ah never get none ah dat shit.  I not saying it doh happen, because ah had reports come over my desk..but personally, I never get none ah dat.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 11:13:20 AM »

yuh know in all my years in de Navy ah never get none ah dat shit.  I not saying it doh happen, because ah had reports come over my desk..but personally, I never get none ah dat.

well on the ships it cant and wont happen because those ships have nothing but trini's and jamaicans and hatians but in this avation community which is like 97% white yuh have to have ah strong head on yuh shoulders

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 11:48:28 AM »
morvant, many ships come here to Vctoria every year. have you ever been here? Or just the west coast based ships will pull een here?

yeah i went to the stennis a couple times and i used to visit el centro every month on small detachments. i was frequent on the west coast last 2 years.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 06:26:08 PM »
fishs ah woulda wait fuh de fukker to go pee and drop one jump kick in he friggin back.and trust meh,ah dead serious.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 10:16:08 PM »
fishs ah woulda wait fuh de f**kker to go pee and drop one jump kick in he friggin back.and trust meh,ah dead serious.

Ah telling yuh , ah was on de verge of a major one. Ah kinda small and ah doh relly mess wid anybody but de last time ah get in trouble de man almost lose he eye an ah had ah lot of trouble wid de maraval police.
So ah guess ah reach de stage that unless yuh hit mih or interfere wid mih peeps ah leaving it alone.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:21:14 AM »
fishs and capodetutticapi...try and remember allyuh in another man's land

if allyuh was in TNT i could understand allyuh bussing ah cuff in he face....incase ah emergency allyuh have back up...dey rest ah TNT.

some ah dem foriegn pow pow ain't like minorities ya know....watch dey TV news nah.

but....I ain't go lie to allyuh, ah woulda fine some way to get back at dey mudda ass....jus nobody ain't go see me start, and i could bawl real hard and point just incase he hit meh back.   :devil:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 09:35:25 AM »

My first day or I should say my first week at work, now mind you the company I work for has about 600 workers in it. Out of the 600, an estimate of 180 are minorities. That being said, minding my business, doing the people work, this Swedish guy (a minority) comes up and kept looking at me in this way. So I say to myself " must be meh perfume he like" so ah smile. Man watch me and dust it. Ah say alrighty.

Next day he comes back, now I don't put water in my mouth to say anything to anyone....ah ask him what wrong. Hear his response... and until I die I won't forget it. "Oh!! I've never seen a 'black' (man stress on the black) woman in a suit before....is that how you all normally dress from where you're from".

Fishs now ya hafta excuse meh french now... because that was my first time experience of a racist comment, and I didn't know how to respond. Infact my mother forgot to mention racism in her birds and bees speech.  I didn't know if I should have taken offense or take as a compliment, just the fact that the word 'black' was used rush meh blood to my head. I know now, to just smile and ignore.

I couldn't care if his name was Mr. Smith dey Managing Director or Mr Smith dey cleaner. I got up walked straight up to his face and whispered  "yes c**t, this is how we dress...but the next time you use the word black infront of me you white discolored pr*ck i'll re-arrange your f**king ignorance. Took 2 steps back and walked calmly back to my office as if nothing ever happened.

I spoke to a couple of my co workers about it, some said don't worry about it, others said I should have taken it up with his Manager. I let it slide.  But to this day that man would see me walking down the hall way towards him and he will go the other direction....he can't face me.

Fishs it really does affect you in a negative way - insecure is the word.....but ya know what, just smile and walk away. That will totally confuse the shit outta people...leave them wondering why didn't he/she respond ?  :beermug:

I feel de man  was trackin yuh in he bumblin farm way oui

Doh mind dey come from developed countries, some ah dem fellahs is real 'country boookie'
In europe dat is how dem does talk, "a black" as opposed to a "a black guy, woman",, whatever.

I surprised he livin in Ontario and never see one in ah suit, PLUS he eh know ontario discrimination workplace laws doh mek joke
My opinion, if yuh cuss, yuh lower yuhself to he standard...cause dat is the stereotype dem fellahs expect...yuh ha tuh shit dem up so smood or with some wicked sarcasm that dey go never approach yuh chupid again
I guess at the time yuh just raw wit anger, so naturally dat is de first ting go come out...wha yuh go do

That being said, I still feel de man was trackin yuh in he bumblin country boy way  ;D

As for Fishs..yuh make de right move bredrin....unless yuh Scottish pardners was willing to back yuh, it doh make sense...sometimes yuh hadda grit yuh teet and walkaway
Plus you livin in ah area of de world where apparently de prisons out dey does make Golden Grove seem like a paradise.

Like TT say, I cyah speak too  much on dat
Most setta drama I use to get is when on my motorbikes . Police was stoppin me everyday...but my head was so above that and ah talkin to dem straight,,, watchin dem in dey eye hard etc AND mih papers in order...dem hadda humble deyself and say have a nice day

I livin in Ontario since I is 17 when it hardly had Trini up here (34 now) and I never experience none ah dat blatant stuff nah......then again (I've been told) I doh really look like ah fellah who too approachable, (although I very meek)  so maybe people does pick dey mark.

Hol allyuh head up
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 07:28:17 PM »

some ah dem does be 'fraid to swim wid Sharks so day leavin you alone

[

Possibly...but I is ah sardine....okay mebbe when ah get vex ah does turn into ah big wabeen...but dais 'bout it  :D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:24:37 PM »
Ah was fooling around with a Chinese ting up in her room in her house and ah was real liking mehself

Then she grandfather ketch we...boy the mood get kill dey

So three of we in de kitchen now, he giving her the birds and the bees talk in Chinese and I doh know one arse of what he saying

She tell meh later that he ask her sarcastically if she want ah Indian baby and if she like curry

At that point i didn't know if tuh get vex or start laughing....i say is differnet generation and different way of thinking

but yuh does have to let it go and say some people just ignorant no arse and racist ppl doh go nowhere in life
I hate racism with a passion too and I believe that it is a dying mentality...i have experienced much worse...but yeah yuh does have to have real mental discipline when it is directed at you

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 10:16:02 PM »
Ah was fooling around with a Chinese ting up in her room in her house and ah was real liking mehself

So three of we in de kitchen now, he giving her the birds and the bees talk in Chinese and I doh know one arse of what he saying

She tell meh later that he ask her sarcastically if she want ah Indian baby and if she like curry

At that point i didn't know if tuh get vex or start laughing....i say is differnet generation and different way of thinking

but yuh does have to let it go and say some people just ignorant no arse and racist ppl doh go nowhere in life
I hate racism with a passion too and I believe that it is a dying mentality...i have experienced much worse...but yeah yuh does have to have real mental discipline when it is directed at you

Well boy consider yuhself lucky

when i geh old...If I ketch ah man in mih grandaughter room...me eh care wuh race he is,,, REAL bullpistle passin and den ah go mek him dial 911

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 02:41:20 AM »

when i geh old...If I ketch ah man in mih grandaughter room...me eh care wuh race he is,,, REAL bullpistle passin and den ah go mek him dial 911

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

bullpistle ?

As meh mother always say, when ya make an girl chile buy ah gun.  I now see why  :devil:

I agree with you grande on your  statement 'different generation/different way of thinking'
Soon in Trinidad and Tobago there will be no longer the old words "black, white or indian" - new words dougla, cerole, pelau (when ya have 25% of every race in TnT) or my favorite TRINIBAGOIAN  :beermug:

I hope in my life time I see that day.

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 10:26:30 AM »
Show racism the red card

Nah de worst is tuh experience racism here at home back in de trini... man yuh does be annoyed.
De incidents at home Between afro and indo still apparent but its sad becuz when we flyout tuh foreigh we does have tuh stick together so it is Sad

Offline verb

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »
I am so fed up of some people complaining about racism.  You complaining saying white people treat you this way but you're the same one whose always in their face.  Always mingling with them.  When your own kind try to have a conversation with you you treat them like shit.  That's because you hate your skin.  This Jamaican dude told me he don't like dark skins girls and he darker than charcoal.  He said he don't want to have daughters with nappy hair.  See U can't even trust your own kind.
Love for all my Carribean people!

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 11:47:15 AM »

Well Done  ;D Too bad yuh get ketch doh.. you move bad deh... as ah trinbagonian yuh should have mastered the art of NOT getting catch..  :devil:
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 12:16:10 PM »
I am so fed up of some people complaining about racism.  You complaining saying white people treat you this way but you're the same one whose always in their face.  Always mingling with them.  When your own kind try to have a conversation with you you treat them like shit.  That's because you hate your skin.  This Jamaican dude told me he don't like dark skins girls and he darker than charcoal.  He said he don't want to have daughters with nappy hair.  See U can't even trust your own kind.

Buh wuh de??....  :rotfl:

You gone mad or wha? ..who you direct dat to? anybody in particular on here? or you just venting?

I tend to agree with you that there are people with remnants of the old colonial mentality of dark/light....but you come in guns blazin..shoot everybody and de man yuh lookin for not even in de bar

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" oui

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 12:30:50 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

bullpistle ?

As meh mother always say, when ya make an girl chile buy ah gun.  I now see why  :devil:

I agree with you grande on your  statement 'different generation/different way of thinking'
Soon in Trinidad and Tobago there will be no longer the old words "black, white or indian" - new words dougla, cerole, pelau (when ya have 25% of every race in TnT) or my favorite TRINIBAGOIAN  :beermug:

I hope in my life time I see that day.

Well said Cana I like how you put that  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 03:03:55 PM »

Now verb if i wrong ...correct meh eh, I look forward to it.

So your views of dealing with racism is to stay away from/doh mingle with "White People" and remain with the "Non-White people" and not Jamaicans.

I have no control over the educationally or intelligence level of people around me
But I do have control over the educationally or intelligence level of people associated with me.

There is a difference.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:06:02 PM by TriniCana »

Offline verb

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »

You gone mad or wha? ..who you direct dat to? anybody in particular on here? or you just venting?

I tend to agree with you that there are people with remnants of the old colonial mentality of dark/light....but you come in guns blazin..shoot everybody and de man yuh lookin for not even in de bar

Nobody in particular but I'm just tired of people complaining about racism.  When they are being racist to their own kind.  If you treat your people like crap, the man sees that he'll treat you like crap too.  Because you put the man on a peddlestool when he gets in your face.

Offline verb

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 05:48:10 PM »

I look forward too, I don't let racism gets too me it just hurts when our own people from the island saying they don't like being black, they don't want their kids to have nappy hair because that's ugly.  I've experienced racism too.  But I'm not going to quit my job because the boss call me a nigga.  I have responsibilities. I'm not going to move away to another or back to another country because of that.  Even in the island the lighter skin people always think they're better than the dark skin.  So you can't really escape racism.  You just experience racism in a different way in the islands.  Even in St Marteen you could tell there's a bit of segration.  They treat darker skins different.

Nobody in particular but I'm just tired of people complaining about racism.  When they are being racist to their own kind.  If you treat your people like crap, the man sees that he'll treat you like crap too.  Because you put the man on a peddlestool when he gets in your face.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 07:13:57 PM »

I disagree

Is only insecure people put others on peedlestools.
Do you think if you are comfortable  in your own skin and confident in your thoughts and words, anyone can 'talk down' to you?
Is not possible

Again I'll say "its who you or the group you associate yourself with"

Offline verb

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »
I'm Very comfortable in my skin.  I'm not insecure.  I don't hang out with people who don't like their skin.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »
I'm Very comfortable in my skin.  I'm not insecure.  I don't hang out with people who don't like their skin.

never said you

just commenting on your statement.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 10:24:37 AM »

Just out of curiousity... since that was apparently your first encounter with this gentleman are you sure that he was being a racist? Or could you possibly have misinterpreted his statement? If you did not misinterpret him then you could have used the opportunity to engage him in some intellectual race-relations discussion and help to educate him. Just ah thought.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 10:31:36 AM »
Ah sit down last nite in de hotel bar with two pardners from Scotland (ah fed up on de mountain so ah take ah nite in town  ;D ;D). Anyhow de Portugal rugby team staying in de hotel an dey jus get beat bad by Georgia 40 - 0.
So i mining my business trying to understand wha de f**k mih scottish breds an dem saying wen one a de portugee fellas say he want mih stool........ what?
Ah watch de man an tell mihself is ah joke an continue about mih business, den a leave an went to penal. When ah come back de man on mih stool , so ah watch him an ask him if he comfortable.. nex ting i know he accusing mih of being rude an saying all kina ting about how black people have no respect.
Now ah was drinking ah German beer an dis beer in ah big heavy bottle , ah watch mih beer an ah watch he head, ah watch mih beer an ah watch he head, den a decide he head eh worth de price ah mih beer.

Now across here wen people see ah black man dey does stare an ting but is only out of curiosity.
De few occasions ah come across any kinda negative racial vibes was from so called Euro nationals.
So ah really concerned about boisterous trinis let loose in Germany an what could happe if we beat England an some ah dem skin head types decide to make trouble a, ah kno is only ah few of dem because ah working wid de English an Americans fuh years an is only on rare occassions ah come across any thing like mih bar experience.

But it bother mih so ah post it fuh some feedback.

So Fishs yuh just let the man take yuh bar stool. Yuh mean to tell we yuh Scottish pardnahs wouldna have yuh back if yuh had ress ah guiness bottle on him ;D ?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 12:10:08 PM »

Just out of curiousity... since that was apparently your first encounter with this gentleman are you sure that he was being a racist? Or could you possibly have misinterpreted his statement? If you did not misinterpret him then you could have used the opportunity to engage him in some intellectual race-relations discussion and help to educate him. Just ah thought.

I hear ya Pointman

But in my situation, facial expression and tone of voice played a major part in my decision to answer him the way I did....Note, I didn't stoop to his level, as others may think.
At that time/moment when someone tries to belittle who I am and what I'm trying to achieve in a work place, my red blood will flow faster.
I consider myself a confident, smart and approachable indvidual. I'm not going to sit back and say "well he didn't know what he was saying" and smile.
If you want to ask me a question, there are certain "words" to be used. 

Other curious people including other Swedes asked questions.  I had no problem sharing with them  Some of them got to see family photos in the space of 2 days. What made him, another minority different ?

Thanks for your thoughts tho  :beermug:

1]; } ?>