March 28, 2024, 08:05:03 AM

Author Topic: USA move into world's top five for first time  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
USA move into world's top five for first time
« on: March 15, 2006, 11:48:21 AM »

LONDON, March 15 (Reuters) - The United States have moved into the top five for the first time since FIFA's world rankings began in 1993 after publication of the March list on Wednesday.

Brazil remain the clear leaders, with the Czech Republic and the Netherlands unmoved in positions two and three respectively, one point apart.

Argentina are fourth and the U.S. fifth, up from their shared sixth place in February.

France drop from fifth to eighth after their surprise 2-1 defeat by Slovakia on home soil on March 1.

The March rankings cover 82 matches comprising 21 qualifiers for the Asian Cup 2007 and 61 friendlies.

Top 20 in rankings (previous month in brackets if changed, points total):

• 1. Brazil - 835 • 2. Czech Republic - 789 • 3. Netherlands - 788 • 4. Argentina - 765 • 5. (6=) United States - 764 • 6. Spain - 763 • 7. (6=) Mexico - 762 • 8. (5) France - 760 • 9. England - 756 • 10. Portugal - 755 • 11. Turkey - 743 • 12= Nigeria - 738 • 12= Italy - 738 • 14. Denmark - 736 • 15. (16) Cameroon - 726 • 16. (15)Sweden - 725 • 17. Egypt - 714 • 18. Japan - 712 • 19= (22) Iran - 705 • 19= (23) Croatia - 705
The Warriors (49) move up 2 places
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: USA move into world's top five for first time
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »
for what?

they beat any significant team?

Poland!? stewpssssssssssssssss utter bullshit.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:58:04 AM »
WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE YOUNG MAN!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

lol
Utter tut tull bey in truth, hey but if daiz how fifa do it oh well
But the question now remaind for all SW & WN peeps, can the White team beat the red team and move up in de rankings

Know what it just hit meh we cud form some permanent teams before the world cup and have a mini tournament before de Wc, what say alyuh

Jeffers go tuh skool

fat boi out

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:02:04 PM »
WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE YOUNG MAN!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

lol
Utter tut tull bey in truth, hey but if daiz how fifa do it oh well
But the question now remaind for all SW & WN peeps, can the White team beat the red team and move up in de rankings

Know what it just hit meh we cud form some permanent teams before the world cup and have a mini tournament before de Wc, what say alyuh

Jeffers go tuh skool

fat boi out

pasdah beats go an train fuh de sweat so ah dont mek yuh look chupid.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:16:19 PM »

LONDON, March 15 (Reuters) - The United States have moved into the top five for the first time since FIFA's world rankings began in 1993 after publication of the March list on Wednesday.

Brazil remain the clear leaders, with the Czech Republic and the Netherlands unmoved in positions two and three respectively, one point apart.

Argentina are fourth and the U.S. fifth, up from their shared sixth place in February.

France drop from fifth to eighth after their surprise 2-1 defeat by Slovakia on home soil on March 1.

The March rankings cover 82 matches comprising 21 qualifiers for the Asian Cup 2007 and 61 friendlies.

Top 20 in rankings (previous month in brackets if changed, points total):

• 1. Brazil - 835 • 2. Czech Republic - 789 • 3. Netherlands - 788 • 4. Argentina - 765 • 5. (6=) United States - 764 • 6. Spain - 763 • 7. (6=) Mexico - 762 • 8. (5) France - 760 • 9. England - 756 • 10. Portugal - 755 • 11. Turkey - 743 • 12= Nigeria - 738 • 12= Italy - 738 • 14. Denmark - 736 • 15. (16) Cameroon - 726 • 16. (15)Sweden - 725 • 17. Egypt - 714 • 18. Japan - 712 • 19= (22) Iran - 705 • 19= (23) Croatia - 705
The Warriors (49) move up 2 places

well now self ah kno dat ranking doh mean JACK!! :rotfl:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 12:24:47 PM »
Kid i playin this game before u born... train... train... how dear u insult me... train 4 u..... HAHAHA i laugh at u

fat boi out

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 05:30:23 PM »
There are not enough intercontinental games for there to be an accurate world ranking of teams, period. USA being #5 is case in point.

They should just do regional rankings and done the story, because the world thing is a joke.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 05:57:15 PM »
 :bs: :bs: :bs:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »
It sound like most if not everybody saying that US (as well as CONCACAF) don't deserve ah place in the top 5. Most would say in the top 10.

The US record against Mexico justifies their place above Mexico so they numero uno in CONCACAF and if they aint belong in the top ten then why the hell FIFA give CONCACAF three and ah half places (end up with 4) for the World Cup of 32 teams.

It doh sound like CONCACAF need to have all that mickey mouse team going the big dance. Right ???

Hush allyuh ass before they take away some places. Trini does never be satisfied boy....keep complaining and see what go happen.

Just recently Mexico tried to join CONMEBOL. Yuh feel if they ever get through FIFA giving CONCACAF another spot. HAHA they go take way bout 2 spots.

Crab mentality will get the best ah we yes.

Support allyuh CONCACAF neighbours nah. How come allyuh does complain so ???

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 06:11:58 PM »
The US record against Mexico justifies their place above Mexico so they numero uno in CONCACAF and if they aint belong in the top ten then why the hell FIFA give CONCACAF three and ah half places (end up with 4) for the World Cup of 32 teams.

It doh sound like CONCACAF need to have all that mickey mouse team going the big dance. Right ???
Because it's a World cup and it wouldn't be able to be marketed to the world. The world cup is not the best 32 teams in the world, it's 32 of the best teams from various regions, a big difference.

Do you think there would be anywhere near the supporter appeal if the WC was 32 Europe and South American teams? It's a big reason why Football has grown from strength to strength, because FIFA is smart enough to market the game for the World, not just for the exclusive Football crazy nations.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »

Because it's a World cup and it wouldn't be able to be marketed to the world. The world cup is not the best 32 teams in the world, it's 32 of the best teams from various regions, a big difference.

Do you think there would be anywhere near the supporter appeal if the WC was 32 Europe and South American teams? It's a big reason why Football has grown from strength to strength, because FIFA is smart enough to market the game for the World, not just for the exclusive Football crazy nations.

Really ??? I didn't know that.

Stueps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuh think FIFA cyah take ah spot away from CONCACAF and give it to Asia, Africa, Europe and not lose an viewers.

If yuh didn't know the structure of the 32 teams is not in stone. That has changed and will change again.

Australia ketch dey ass to qualify...yuh doh think FIFA coulda give one ah CONCACAF spots to OCEANIA and not have them going to CONMEBOL to qualify. Australia would ah been making World Cup everytime in that region and lets face it they have the facilities to even host ah World Cup.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:36:20 PM »
Yuh think FIFA cyah take ah spot away from CONCACAF and give it to Asia, Africa, Europe and not lose an viewers.

If yuh didn't know the structure of the 32 teams is not in stone. That has changed and will change again.

Australia ketch dey ass to qualify...yuh doh think FIFA coulda give one ah CONCACAF spots to OCEANIA and not have them going to CONMEBOL to qualify. Australia would ah been making World Cup everytime in that region and lets face it they have the facilities to even host ah World Cup.

Australia is moving to Aisa from now on, if you didn't know. Asia already had 5 places, and many people thought they didn't deserve their spots either. Call an Asian powerhouse.... Iran? South Korea? Japan? China? Atleast for Concacaf, the USA and Mexico have been consistent performers on the world stage, the Asians had one fluke semifinalist (who hosted), that's about it. I'm pretty confident the extra Concacaf places are aimed to target the Central American market (Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador etc), but it's a testament to the strength of Trinidad and Jamaica that we have beaten them to it :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 06:44:08 PM by R45 »

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 06:47:01 PM »

Australia is moving to Aisa from now on, if you didn't know. Asia already had 5 places, and many people though they didn't deserve their spots either. Call an Asian powerhouse.... Iran? South Korea? Japan? China? Atleast for Concacaf, the USA and Mexico have been consistent performers on the world stage, the Asians had one fluke semifinalist (who hosted), that's about it. I'm pretty confident the extra Concacaf places are aimed to target the Central American market (Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador etc), but it's a testament to the strength of Trinidad and Jamaica that we have beaten them to it :)

So now the US consistent on the World Stage when it convenient for your argument.

The extra spots is because of Jack the devil. Jack have the support of CONCACAF and hold tons of votes that Blatter need to counter the support UEFA get in FIFA so in return for Jack's unending support Jack been gettin what he want. And he fight for all the spots CONCACAF get. The Central Americans were in charge at one time and they aint do ah damn thing for the region especially the Caribbean. Blatter need CONCACAF votes to stay in office.

The Asian market means more to FIFA because of wealth and population. Your argument is flawed but I don't want to be picking on you....I am stating what you end up saying....maybe without even realizing it. Yuh say the US been consistent on the world stage which was my argument.
Funny how you end up saying what I say :rotfl:  That happened bacause you thought about it logically instead of playa hatin on the US and they position (which helps CONCACAF by the way).

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 06:50:17 PM »
So now the US consistent on the World Stage when it convenient for your argument.

The extra spots is because of Jack the devil. Jack have the support of CONCACAF and hold tons of votes that Blatter need to counter the support UEFA get in FIFA so in return for Jack's unending support Jack been gettin what he want. And he fight for all the spots CONCACAF get. The Central Americans were in charge at one time and they aint do ah damn thing for the region especially the Caribbean. Blatter need CONCACAF votes to stay in office.

The Asian market means more to FIFA because of wealth and population. Your argument is flawed but I don't want to be picking on you....I am stating what you end up saying....maybe without even realizing it. Yuh say the US been consistent on the world stage which was my argument.
Funny how you end up saying what I say :rotfl:  That happened bacause you thought about it logically instead of playa hatin on the US and they position (which helps CONCACAF by the way).
Please quote me where I posted the USA was a poor team. I'm looking forward to you finding it :)

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 11:52:08 PM »
You ent say the US is poor and I ent say you say that.

Ah just make yuh admit that the US is consistent and that is why ah gettin kicks.

Like ah say if they aint good enough for ah top 5 or 10.....nobody in CONCACAF good enough fuh that because they are the best in the region....like it or not.

So where does that leave our region ???

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 05:02:48 AM »
I think FIFA use friendlies as part of their ranking system and most countries don;t really take friendlies all that seriously.

up until the rule change, England, France, Spain and Italy would all make 7 or 8 changes at half time so that key players did not have to play the whole game. This was the only way they could get the clubs to realease the players for a meaningless game.

That said, USA have been crawling up the rankings for some time, but whether or not they are a better team that Engalnd, Frnace, Spain, Italy and Portugal would be open to a lot of arguement.

anyeay, it's how you perform on the day that counts.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 05:10:07 AM »
You ent say the US is poor and I ent say you say that.

Ah just make yuh admit that the US is consistent and that is why ah gettin kicks.

Like ah say if they aint good enough for ah top 5 or 10.....nobody in CONCACAF good enough fuh that because they are the best in the region....like it or not.

So where does that leave our region ???
You "made" me admit nothing..... I said the USA is not a #5 side and I maintain that. Beating Poland is hardly what I consider the defining 6 -> 5 jump. I said at the beginning that there'll never be an accurate ranking system because not enough cross continent games are played. Friendlies, under strength teams and other factors will also affect the accuracy of calculations. And obviously USA/Mexico are the top Concacaf teams, you seem to arguing with yourself than anyone else in the thread, you're making points about things that no one has mentioned.

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 09:03:58 AM »

thanks for finally expaining why the fifa list is a bit strange.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 09:32:28 AM »
I eh go yuh out R45 cause yuh ent the only one that make comments about the US position in the rankings. I am pointing out what nobody is saying because what I am saying is asking a logical and critical question which makes absolute sense.

If the US is the best team in CONCACAF and by most on the forum they don't deserve top 5 or top 10 then what does that say about our region ???

Is this region that shitty ???

And if we think so low about our own region...ah could only imagine what the outsiders think about CONCACAF ???

Like ah say i eh picking on nobody.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 11:05:46 AM »
It's possible to support your team and be realistic. I would guess that the USA and Mexico deserve to be within the #8-15 spot. Both of them are what I consider a tier2 side (tier1 being Brazil, Italy and whoever else is peaking atm). Tier3 would probably be Costa Rica, then I would put us in the tier4 category. I think we are capable of being a tier3 side, however we don't have results to justify it yet.

CONCACAF is not as strong as UEFA or CONMEBOL. Concacaf has the most nations however the majority are small islands, the actual competitive footballing nations would be perhaps 1/3rd of the total amount. Mexico is perhaps the only real historical large footballing nation in our region. The USA has only emerged as a real power in the last decade. The central american teams have similiar population to some European powerhouses, eg. Guatemala and Holland have similiar populations, Sweden has near Honduras' population.. yet the level of football is about two tiers higher.

The USA versus Mexico is a complex ranking. Head to head, there is no doubt that USA has the advantage. However, Mexico has performed better on the world stage than the USA. That's what makes the whole ranking screwed, the USA has not played any tier1 teams in the last year to justify being considered a tier1 team. In the past 3 years, they've played close games with both tier2 and tier3 teams, and lost to tier1 sides. Mexico faired better with their confedaration's cup run so one can argue in the eyes of the world, Mexico is better. The answer isn't clear cut.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 11:09:42 AM by R45 »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »
reality will set in when usa dont enter 2nd rd,fifa will drop they rankin like hot hot hops.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>