March 28, 2024, 01:37:27 PM

Author Topic: What does the board make of this?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What does the board make of this?
« on: March 16, 2006, 06:58:51 PM »
West Indies in New Zealand, 2005-06

Styris lashes out at 'laughing' Windies

Tony Cozier

March 16, 2006

Hit first, remorse later: Ramnaresh Sarwan was felled by a Shane Bond bouncer © Getty Images

Scott Styris, the New Zealand allrounder, has accused the West Indies players of "laughing and joking" when he and three of his team-mates were hit on the helmet during the first Test in Auckland.

Styris adopted the holier-than-thou attitude that the New Zealanders always show compassion in similar circumstances. "There was a little bit of disappointment when their guys were laughing and joking when our guys got hit," Styris said during New Zealand's practice session in Wellington yesterday. "I mentioned it to Fidel [Edwards] after I got hit [by him], just their lack of checking out to see if we are fine. You want to play the game hard, you want to play the game fair, but you always want to make sure the other bloke isn't hurt," he added.

Styris claimed that the New Zealanders ensured Ramnaresh Sarwan was okay after he was felled by a bouncer from Shane Bond in the West Indies' second innings. "That's why we got pretty grumpy and disappointed with [Shivnarine] Chanderpaul and [Daren] Ganga when Jamie How got hit under the lid," he explained, referring to the blow to the helmet to the short-leg fielder when Chanderpaul pulled a ball from Daniel Vettori.

Brendon McCullum was heard through the television stump microphone telling Chanderpaul to move away when he approached to see if How was alright. "You didn't show any concern before," McCullum, the talkative wicketkeeper, said.

Styris conceded that the West Indies players "finally showed a bit of concern for someone, but we thought it was a little too late. I don't know if there is an international understanding but you expect natural consideration for someone who is hurt," he said. "You want to get him out, you want to intimidate him to get him out, but you don't want to see a guy carried off on a stretcher." "We certainly don't, and I know Bondy [Shane Bond] doesn't, and he's mentioned that," Styris added. "He's trying to hit him but he's not trying to knock the guy out and if he does hit him then he is looking to see if he is okay."

The New Zealand media has picked up the theme with Jonothan Millmow citing the alleged "lack of remorse" shown by the West Indies as "probably a legacy of their upbringing". "They will have been raised on stories of Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall and Joel Garner breaking bones as regularly as they broke stumps and of home crowds delighting in batsmen being carted off injured," he wrote.

© Trinidad & Tobago Express

I just read this Trinidad Express story on cricinfo. Jonothan Millmow's reference to the upbringing of the West Indian players was particularly troubling to me as he seems to be making a sweeping generalization as a whole about all West Indians in general based on what he has seen and heard of West Indian cricket.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: What does the board make of this?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »
Styris is right. palin and simple.

it's a gentlemens sport.

since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »
I dont know what is happening down under in this series but I see this reference to the West indies team of old as another way to try to cheat the team of its finest years. At this rate they will probably sue vivian richards and Clive Lloyd for ball abuse !
I dont see them saying anything about Lilee and thompson who batterd and bruised the West indies in australia ??? nor the body line series ???
these countries will always find things to ponder from the west indiies, pakistan, india and never england, australia and south Africa ...I wonder why ?
have you seen any reference to South africa's apartheid years ???  i guess that is long forgotten ....

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 09:46:30 PM »
I dont know what is happening down under in this series but I see this reference to the West indies team of old as another way to try to cheat the team of its finest years. At this rate they will probably sue vivian richards and Clive Lloyd for ball abuse !
I dont see them saying anything about Lilee and thompson who batterd and bruised the West indies in australia ??? nor the body line series ???
these countries will always find things to ponder from the west indiies, pakistan, india and never england, australia and south Africa ...I wonder why ?
have you seen any reference to South africa's apartheid years ???  i guess that is long forgotten ....

true... and wait... aint Chris Martin one stink lil bitch.

dat man does bowl more bouncer dan tino best... he behavin better now... buh ah know ive seem him cuss and get on bad.

Jeff Thompson said that he prefered to hit the batsman rather than the wicket...

i rovoke my previous comment... Styris f**k off.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 01:54:24 AM »
There are always crusader and activist type personalities out there who will look for something to fight and grouse about at the snap of a finger. We always have the option to ignore.

1]; } ?>