April 19, 2024, 11:55:42 PM

Author Topic: Where are they now?  (Read 39400 times)

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they now?
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2005, 08:07:53 PM »
Yea freal Hayden Tinto is another young player cah be more then 21 yrs old....he needs a chance with the national team...very skillfull and speedy winger...i hope that we have a little more time to scout for players sum of these guys are given a chance to try out

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2005, 08:09:42 PM »
Yea freal Hayden Tinto is another young player cah be more then 21 yrs old....he needs a chance with the national team...very skillfull and speedy winger...i hope that we have a little more time to scout for players sum of these guys are given a chance to try out

yeah tinto went malick so he deserve ah spot ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2006, 06:56:43 AM »
Allyuh evoke some memories dey boy....
Not sure if this is the thread to raise it on but....
The younger posters might not know some of these fellas, but.....What happen to men like...

Colin Rocke
Kona Hislop (Shaka younger brother)
Ivan Sampson (Benedicts)
Kurt Barrington (San Juan Snr)
Grimes (cyah remember the first name, but he used to play with one of them schools in the East)
Timothy Haynes (big player for Arima Snr)
Sean LeGendre (think that is the fella name...used to star out for St. Augustine Snr)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2006, 07:03:33 AM »
Padners  , yuh call some really nice players they boy, whey yuh pull them names from??  Good question, is a pity that these players was so good at the youth level but never featured on the senior natl team.. We have that ongoing problem of bridging that gap.

Oh,by the way ah thing Grimes went Eldo.. ah could be wrong doh

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2006, 07:48:09 AM »
There was an aritcle about Rocke opening his own indoor soccer academy in the States, tried to find it on the forum but couldn't..

I did an interview with colin some years ago, when his career was winding down.

He was coaching and still playing some pro ball.

http://caribsport01.homestead.com/football.html

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »
The younger posters might not know some of these fellas, but.....What happen to men like...

Colin Rocke
Ivan Sampson (Benedicts)
Grimes (cyah remember the first name, but he used to play with one of them schools in the East)
Sean LeGendre (think that is the fella name...used to star out for St. Augustine Snr)

Well I was in touch with Colin just 2 weeks ago, his business suffered extensive damage after Katrina and he was in Houston. He is still keeping himself in shape and wanted to get in touch with Corneal to get an opp to try out for the left side for the WARRIORS, not sure if that is something that's going to happen now though, the door is closing, but I told him to keep trying.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2006, 11:08:02 AM »

Colin Rocke
Ivan Sampson (Benedicts)

Ivan Sampson is running a big coaching school "Sampson Soccer School" in the DC/Maryland area.

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2006, 01:58:05 PM »
That's why i am in support of what Beenie is doing.  Colin Rocke and anybody else who wanted to play with the Warriors before qualification had a chance to speak up.  Beenie is well within his rights by the way to dance with them who brung you.  P.S. Of those that were mentioned Kona Hislop is the real tragedy.  A beautiful left footed player blessed with speed and deadly shot with minimum back lift.  Injuries snuffed out his career.  Real tragedy.

Offline shooter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2006, 04:21:08 PM »
by the way fellas...where dem Benedicts men from the 90's like Sampson, Jordan, Landeau, Neverson and Benjamin?

so where is Marvin Gordon ? (who maybe play 9 years of intercol)glen benjamin doh coach mobile no more....he was ah grad assisstant coach, but he sill doing he thing down there in alabama..i does see him once in ah while...he was here jus before the christmas to play in ah alumni game...bless
Marvin Gordon plays for Defence Force

Offline shooter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »

Glenn Benjamin is a coach at the University of Mobile.

what about the other benjamin? I remember Glenn and Alvin. Can't remember which one was on the '91 team with yorke.
Then in the late 90's a 3rd brother Nicholas had a big goal-scoring season.
that was glen

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2006, 04:58:27 PM »
Allyuh remember Marvin Raeburn? he use to rip with Trotty (rest his soul) for fatima back in de days...he had real touches

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2006, 05:00:58 PM »
After Latas and Leonson went Portugal we hardly had any players going over there.

De only other people I could recall going there was Clint Marcelle and Cornell Glen. It have any more?
Shawn Cooper had a stint over there also.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2006, 05:11:46 PM »
Since this is a 'where are they now' topic anyone remember or know the whereabouts of Sterling Smith ex-national youth captain, I always thought he woud amout to something special.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2006, 01:46:53 AM »
There are some Secondary starts who never make the transition to the big time.

Garnet Craig, Skinner, Corneal and Ronnie Simmons are some footballers who should have done better. I think at times they were the victims of curious selection policies.

Out of those 4 one only was a quality player and that was Skinner...the other 3 made it to the national team because they went to coaching school.
Incidentally, the unsung hero of that Fatima defence was a 14 year old youth called Fritz.

If allyuh want to call "great players" in the late 70's Belmont Sec had a team that consisted of players like Sacky, Bird, Blip and Plucky.

One of the reasons why players like Rocke never received  national level attention is that they chose schools that gave them little or no exposure to a higher level game.
 When the influx of Trinibago players into US colleges started in the 80's a lot of guys saw an education as something that lasts a lifetime and football as only a temporary thing. If you look at schools in the NE Conf. the teams were a lot stronger then than they are now.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2006, 02:42:42 AM »

boy i really forget you was in them Courts commercials with yuh brother yes..my memory really going lol.

by the way fellas...where dem Benedicts men from the 90's like Sampson, Jordan, Landeau, Neverson and Benjamin?..dem days Naps had good players but not good enough to beat the other schools i guess.

ah know I coming in here late with this one, but the last time I see Edson Landeau was playin with him on the Club Sando squad back in 98 with that other glad man call Olievera( ah sure a spell he name wrong...lol) :rotfl:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2006, 05:41:57 AM »
There are some Secondary starts who never make the transition to the big time.

Garnet Craig, Skinner, Corneal and Ronnie Simmons are some footballers who should have done better. I think at times they were the victims of curious selection policies.

Out of those 4 one only was a quality player and that was Skinner...the other 3 made it to the national team because they went to coaching school.
Incidentally, the unsung hero of that Fatima defence was a 14 year old youth called Fritz.

If allyuh want to call "great players" in the late 70's Belmont Sec had a team that consisted of players like Sacky, Bird, Blip and Plucky.

One of the reasons why players like Rocke never received  national level attention is that they chose schools that gave them little or no exposure to a higher level game.
 When the influx of Trinibago players into US colleges started in the 80's a lot of guys saw an education as something that lasts a lifetime and football as only a temporary thing. If you look at schools in the NE Conf. the teams were a lot stronger then than they are now.

The man played in the MLS and A League.

Wasn't that enough to warrant national level attention?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2006, 10:39:22 AM »
Sterlin Smith had a successful collegiate career and now coaches a youth club in Conneticut. There are so many talented players our country lost during the 80's. US College scholarships was basically the best opportunity these players had to make the most of their football talent. Many of them are still involved in the game and have made usefull careers with their education.
We lost many of these players because our TTFF did not ...and still does not have a proper player development system/mechanism in place. Making it at the top pro and international level takes much more than just talent. I've said in other posts, untill TTFF gets this corrected our players will continue to struggle to establish themselves on the highest level of the professional ranks.
ALCONS was bringing along some of the best youths in the country, TTFA ban players from playing for the National team because they wanted to play for ALCONS...(Peter Alfred and many others). There was a lot of damage done to many players by the TTFA and it's band of crooks. How you go give big men a box ah Royal Castle and ah Solo after they just play a match for the National Team!!! :devil: that is wickedness.
How JW could walk into the locker room before a National Team match and tell the coach who he must play or not play!!! :devil:
Ah does try real hard to hold my peace on this forum, but as allyuh start to bring up some ah these players' names, tears in meh eye for we country football. Ah real happy we going to the WC and ah doh have tuh take no ole talk from people here in the US; but I'm very concerned about what will happen after the WC.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2006, 11:16:15 AM »
MEP: I think you making a mistake. All four of these players were boss players. Craig, Skinner and Simmons all very talented defenders. Corneal...if is Anton you talking about...also a boss player and one of the most skillful youth players to come through the ranks. Coaching school have nothing to do with these fellas playing for the National team. In fact I think that Anton never had a fair chance because most people believe he made the team because of his father, and on the other hand he didn't make the team for the same dumb reason. ???
Coaching school was the standard of excellence for young players back in those days...doy you know that York; Latas; Faustin,Haynes ect. also played with Coaching school?

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2006, 01:48:56 PM »
wha ever happen to man like

darin lewis?
craig dennim?

Craid Dennim is no longer with the Rochester Rhinos. He is presently in pre-season camp with Virginia Beach Marines. Darin Lewis (NCAA College Cup MVP back in 1999) had signed a mutli year contract with Portland Timbers, the same team that drafted Anthony Noriega but that contract has expired now. He no longer plays professional in the American leagues.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2006, 02:19:52 PM »
Like ah say they only had one quality player of the the 4  that should have made it big on the national level and that was Skinner....yuh sound like a Fatima man CK1...Garnet Craig just never really impress me enough for him to be a national player. Anton Corneal was good yes I don't disagree with that but I'm comparing him to the pool of players that were available at that time and as a striker he would have been 4 or 5 on my list.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »
MEP: I think you making a mistake. All four of these players were boss players. Craig, Skinner and Simmons all very talented defenders. Corneal...if is Anton you talking about...also a boss player and one of the most skillful youth players to come through the ranks. Coaching school have nothing to do with these fellas playing for the National team. In fact I think that Anton never had a fair chance because most people believe he made the team because of his father, and on the other hand he didn't make the team for the same dumb reason. ???
Coaching school was the standard of excellence for young players back in those days...doy you know that York; Latas; Faustin,Haynes ect. also played with Coaching school?
MEP, you seem to have some knowledge of that era. Three quick questions for you. When did Anton and Craig make there national team debut? What team were they playing with? and Who was the National team coach at the time?
Live large and prosper!

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2006, 07:11:04 PM »
MEP: I'm definitely not a Fatima man. I played with Skinner and against Fatima. If you read the post about most memorable games you'll see that I'm definitely not Fatima, but those players were very good back in the day.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:30 PM »
MEP, you seem to have some knowledge of that era. Three quick questions for you. When did Anton and Craig make there national team debut? What team were they playing with? and Who was the National team coach at the time?

Some knowledge just some.......padnah...and ah sufferin from selective memory too :) :) :) but to answer yuh question when they made their debut off the top ah meh head cyah remember....I believe they maybe have been with Maple and ah don't want to venture a guess at to who the coach was....Lordy..yuh have meh searchin in the deep recesses of meh memory....

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »

Some knowledge just some.......padnah...and ah sufferin from selective memory too :) :) :) but to answer yuh question when they made their debut off the top ah meh head cyah remember....I believe they maybe have been with Maple and ah don't want to venture a guess at to who the coach was....Lordy..yuh have meh searchin in the deep recesses of meh memory....

The reason I asked, is because of the following comment -"...I think that Anton never had a fair chance because most people believe he made the team because of his father, and on the other hand he didn't make the team for the same dumb reason. ???"

Alvin Corneal was the coach who handed him his debut. At the time he played with Maple who were playing second division football at the time. Six or seven Maple men were in the squad at the time too. Does that jog you memory ??? :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
I always find that a good way to measure how good a college player can be is through how many championships they carry their team to in the college days. latas and sando tech were nigh unbeatable when he was there, Signal Hill win back to back (or was it 3 national titles?) with Yorke running things. The only true dynasties based on one player since then was Dwarika for Malick in the early 90's, and he throw away his opportunity for greatness because Scotland was too cold or something. The other Malick titles were a different star each year (Glasgow, Knights, Westfield). I know Naps and St. Anthony's had a good run in the late 90's/early 2000 but i get the impression those wins were based on good teams rather than any dominant players. I mean, if u can't make your team dominate at college level, then u can be good but u not going to be one of the greats.

Wasnt Dwarika playing for East Fife? That was hardly an opportunity for greatness. Scottish lower divisions are rubbish.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2006, 08:49:55 PM »
I thought Alvin was the coach but not liking to be wrong didn't answer.... :) :) :) I understand where you're coming from in that he was doomed to failure one way or another but CK was responsible for that comment not me. I'm not fan of Alvin Corneal even though if you were to go down North Carolina and mention his name people start bowing in reverence. I've met both players and coaches who have nothing but praise. Ah eh know but I want him to saty far from the national team.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2006, 11:57:17 PM »
Alvin was the coach at the time. Maple was playing in the top division and won with those 6 or 7 young players together with some vetrans like Reynold George.
I do think that Anton was doomed one way or the other because of his father. In true Trini style he was in a love /hate situation. He was definitely a very capable player with the potential to give much to the National Program at the time.
IN MANY AREAS IN THE US AND AROUND THE WORLD ALVIN DOES GET MUCH RESPECT, BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, HE GETS AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF DISREGARD. HE'S A VERY WELL RESPECTED COACH AND EXCELLENT TEACHER OF THE GAME,BUT HID INTEGRITY IN PERSONAL DEALINGS IS OFTEN QUESTIONED.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2006, 12:08:32 AM »
Alvin was the coach at the time. Maple was playing in the top division and won with those 6 or 7 young players together with some vetrans like Reynold George.
I do think that Anton was doomed one way or the other because of his father. In true Trini style he was in a love /hate situation. He was definitely a very capable player with the potential to give much to the National Program at the time.
IN MANY AREAS IN THE US AND AROUND THE WORLD ALVIN DOES GET MUCH RESPECT, BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, HE GETS AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF DISREGARD. HE'S A VERY WELL RESPECTED COACH AND EXCELLENT TEACHER OF THE GAME,BUT HID INTEGRITY IN PERSONAL DEALINGS IS OFTEN QUESTIONED.

Ah suppose anybody dat doing something at a national level open for criticism but I never heard of his personal dealings being questioned and I will say from a personal level that Alvin is quite a decent person.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2006, 07:25:32 AM »
I thought Alvin was the coach but not liking to be wrong didn't answer.... :) :) :) I understand where you're coming from in that he was doomed to failure one way or another but CK was responsible for that comment not me. I'm not fan of Alvin Corneal even though if you were to go down North Carolina and mention his name people start bowing in reverence. I've met both players and coaches who have nothing but praise. Ah eh know but I want him to saty far from the national team.

Sorry 'bout that.
Live large and prosper!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2006, 07:40:13 AM »
CK1, you are sadly mistaken! Maple got promoted to NSL Div 1 in 1981. When them fellas made their debut, they were playing in the 2nd division. If my memory serves me right, they were also the only div 2 players on the National squad then. My team practiced in the savannah just across from where Maple practiced during that time. I also played with a couple of those Maple men in some minor league as well. This was also much discussed at that time. Those are the facts. What one deduces from them is up to them.
Live large and prosper!

1]; } ?>