April 20, 2024, 06:14:05 AM

Author Topic: Where are they now?  (Read 39404 times)

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they now?
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2006, 10:01:17 AM »
FISHS: From my very personal dealings with Alvin and his family ,indeed he is a decent person. His influence through the game had a significant impact on my life as a youngster and many others. I'm probably still connected to the game today because of his mentorship.
However, I'm also aware that many other people don't share the same opinion about him. (...my mother taught me that if you have nothing good to say about someone; you should whistle, and if you can't whistle;just spit...if yuh mouth too dry to spit; don't say anything at all... :-X)
As for the Maple years, you are probably right even though I played with them...Dexter Skeen, Garth Polonais; Renwrick Jones; Alvin Clifton; Trevor(Masters) James...to name a few.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Player Watch, "Where is X?"
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
A new thread! To ask people where a certain player is now. I need it for my own nefarious ends, so I'll ask the first question

Where's Leslie Fitzpatrick now? Last I heard he was in Puerto Rico? Or NE stars?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Player Watch, "Where is X?"
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »
Where's Leslie Fitzpatrick now? Last I heard he was in Puerto Rico? Or NE stars?

He's the Technical Director of Kenton Soccer Club in upstate New York.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Player Watch, "Where is X?"
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »

That's good to hear - but why do a seemingly large-proportion of our ex-footballers set up camps in the US rather than in Trinidad?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
 but why do a seemingly large-proportion of our ex-footballers set up camps in the US rather than in Trinidad?

we could give you a 1000 reasons why. I will say less headache.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »

That's good to hear - but why do a seemingly large-proportion of our ex-footballers set up camps in the US rather than in Trinidad?
simple......because there is support and good financial stability and backing. To a certain degree there are much more appreciation shown here.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »
We need to change that...

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
You right but do you know that the former TTFF and hopefully not the new TTFA has literally for argument sake discarded most of the guys who have came to America for  College and otherwise. I for sure will love to comeback and give back. However, why would i leave the people who pay for all my Licenses and give me an opportunity to further my career with no malice.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2014, 04:00:07 AM »
You right but do you know that the former TTFF and hopefully not the new TTFA has literally for argument sake discarded most of the guys who have came to America for  College and otherwise. I for sure will love to comeback and give back. However, why would i leave the people who pay for all my Licenses and give me an opportunity to further my career with no malice.

For the same reason you might go to the UK/US to do a degree and come back to Trinidad to do good work? You usually pay for licenses (or are you saying that the club/company paid for it?), so there is a bit of 'giving back', but really justify it as the land of your forefathers, a place that's being under-served and lacks coaching, that lacks support, and that you can be part of the solution here and now. The USA already has the highest participation in soccer for kids it's ever had, with tens of thousands of coaching programmes and soccer academies.

It's a personal moral choice and I (and Englishman) ain't gonna preach on what you should do - no right to. You're doing good work in coaching no matter where you d it, but I think Trinidad needs it more than most :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2014, 05:08:42 AM »

For the same reason you might go to the UK/US to do a degree and come back to Trinidad to do good work? You usually pay for licenses (or are you saying that the club/company paid for it?), so there is a bit of 'giving back', but really justify it as the land of your forefathers, a place that's being under-served and lacks coaching, that lacks support, and that you can be part of the solution here and now. The USA already has the highest participation in soccer for kids it's ever had, with tens of thousands of coaching programmes and soccer academies.

It's a personal moral choice and I (and Englishman) ain't gonna preach on what you should do - no right to. You're doing good work in coaching no matter where you d it, but I think Trinidad needs it more than most :)

... given that the US landscape is littered with Englishmen, none of whom are present out of morality, loyalist would best be advised to carry on smartly.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2014, 05:18:48 AM »

... given that the US landscape is littered with Englishmen, none of whom are present out of morality, loyalist would best be advised to carry on smartly.

I'm not sure what your point here is? I'm trying not to take it as an Anglophobic comment but I can't really interpret this sentence except as "He's English so don't trust what he's saying"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2014, 06:37:59 AM »

Quick funny story about Tiger.

I was once in a sweat with Tiger in upper manhattan, small goal (2000/2001).  Anyway, we were on the attack and Tiger collect the ball in midfield and no sooner than after he collected the ball, his cell ph which he had on him rang (in those days de damn ph was big and was hanging down his pants).  Anyway, Tiger answer de call, he talkin, one man geh beat and he advance, he still talkin and anodder man geh beat and he advance....well he continue to beat about 4-5 man and den slot de ball home and walk to de sideline and continue his conversation.  Everybody on the opposition was like, wha de hell, ah watch him and say "gallery while smiling"

Glad to hear he's still doing this thing....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »

I'm not sure what your point here is? I'm trying not to take it as an Anglophobic comment but I can't really interpret this sentence except as "He's English so don't trust what he's saying"

Breds what everybody trying to tell you is that, unless you come home with your own resources or have local or foreign sponsors, be  prepared  to work for free.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
Tiresais I understand what you are saying. I guess for me i am able to work in an environment where I can conduct my coaching in a very professional manner. I am able to work with no interference or problems per say. The question I ask myself all the time is, if i am to come back home and contribute to the development of the game, is the standard in terms of organization going to be high or disorganized? I will definitely love to give back. For myself who are a former national player, and other former national players ,high school players who came to the U.S to play football and have gone into the coaching, I am sure that at some point will love to come back and give some help. I guess the politics of the game in Trinidad could prevent that though.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
There is no infrastructure in place period for anyone with higher education or skill set to return home and give back.........while being able to maintain some kind of normal lifestyle..........so many daughters and sons of the soil with talents acquired abroad would love to return home and contribute to society...........I have even heard stories of people who received government scholarships but can't get into the workforce once they returned because of politricks...........for me it reach to the point where I prefer to be comfortable in the cold than to be dealing with dodging bandits and 3rd world governmental buffoonery that continues to destroy the nation..........hopefully the future brings a little change
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:32:51 PM by Agent Jack Bauer »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
I can understand that - you gotta earn a living. My comment was more towards the players who have perhaps earnt quite well abroad and can bring funds to bare domestically, a la Sancho, and employ some of you abroad. I should have perhaps phrase the original comment better...

Lets hope (or effect) some change can occur in the next decade...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »

Why?

A DoC in the US can make anywhere from US$30,000 - Over US$100,000 + a year working most often 5-9 hours a day.
How are you making that kind of living in T&T?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2014, 03:18:59 PM »
I can understand that - you gotta earn a living. My comment was more towards the players who have perhaps earnt quite well abroad and can bring funds to bare domestically, a la Sancho, and employ some of you abroad. I should have perhaps phrase the original comment better...

Lets hope (or effect) some change can occur in the next decade...

The TTFF who does collect millions of $ a year from FIFA doh give back, but you want men to give they blood back? Alyuh eh serious.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »

Why?

A DoC in the US can make anywhere from US$30,000 - Over US$100,000 + a year working most often 5-9 hours a day.
How are you making that kind of living in T&T?

That's what I meant, we need to come up with a way to make it pay to do good for Trini football, which links directly to your next post. If the TTFA ain't doing what they're supposed to then it's just left to us, which I'm definitely not happy about, but we're left to do what we can. Given how untransparent and murky football governance is I'm not sure what we could do to change the TTFA...

Anyway as I said earlier - I'm not telling them, I'm sort of 'asking' them. The answers will tell us half the problem in football, regardless of yes or no

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »

I seen him coaching some youths with a soccer academy in Toronto.. This was in November

http://torontoskillz.com/leadership/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:44:07 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »

... given that the US [coaching] landscape is littered with Englishmen, none of whom are present out of morality, loyalist would best be advised to carry on smartly.

I'm not sure why you're not sure what the point is. I'm less sure why you've settled on anglophobia.

1. Soccer is still an under-served game in the US. Juxtapose that vis-a-vis Trinidad and Tobago and you have one of the answers you sought.
2. Other posts since mine have pointed to the economics (hence the comment:  ... "none of whom are present out of morality")
3. There is a similar need for youth coaches in England ... yet there's an opportunistic exodus by Englishmen to the US based on the attributes of the US model that other posters have alluded to ... reality.
4. The problem is not loyalist's presence in the US ... the problem is not bridging resources such that loyalist et al can live abroad while making a difference at home.
5. This work need not be the work of the TTFA.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »

... given that the US [coaching] landscape is littered with Englishmen, none of whom are present out of morality, loyalist would best be advised to carry on smartly.

I'm not sure why you're not sure what the point is. I'm less sure why you've settled on anglophobia.

1. Soccer is still an under-served game in the US. Juxtapose that vis-a-vis Trinidad and Tobago and you have one of the answers you sought.
2. Other posts since mine have pointed to the economics (hence the comment:  ... "none of whom are present out of morality")
3. There is a similar need for youth coaches in England ... yet there's an opportunistic exodus by Englishmen to the US based on the attributes of the US model that other posters have alluded to ... reality.
4. The problem is not loyalist's presence in the US ... the problem is not bridging resources such that loyalist et al can live abroad while making a difference at home.

My original comment explains the 'leap' to anglophobia.

1) I'm not sure how you measure Soccer being under-served - do you have any articles or evidence on this (again please don't take this as disbelief, I'd be interested in the evidence).

2) As my post notes above, certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for making a living

3) Again not sure why you think there's a lack of English youth coaches? The problem historically has always been the methods, rather than the quantity - every club and their mum has a youth team here.

4) Agreed, as I pointed out above the comment was phrased badly and wasn't pointing at Loyalist.

5) Agreed

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2014, 04:04:32 AM »

1) I'm not sure how you measure Soccer being under-served - do you have any articles or evidence on this (again please don't take this as disbelief, I'd be interested in the evidence).

2) As my post notes above, certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for making a living

3)Again not sure why you think there's a lack of English youth coaches? The problem historically has always been the methods, rather than the quantity - every club and their mum has a youth team here.

4) Agreed, as I pointed out above the comment was phrased badly and wasn't pointing at Loyalist.

5) Agreed

Let's start with #3.

As England fans grasp for indicators of how their team will perform at the World Cup, Digger can reveal statistics that will lead only to pessimism.

Three years ago an official report concluded that coaching is the "golden thread" leading to international success, but new Uefa data shows that there are only 2,769 English coaches holding Uefa's B, A and Pro badges, its top qualifications. Spain has produced 23,995, Italy 29,420, Germany 34,970 and France 17,588.
Between them those four nations have provided eight of the 12 finalists at all the World Cups and European Championships since 1998. England, meanwhile, have not appeared in a tournament final in 44 years.

There are 2.25 million players in England and only one Uefa-qualified coach for every 812 people playing the game. Spain, the World Cup favourites, have 408,134 players, giving a ratio of 1:17. In Italy, the world champions, the ratio is 1:48, in France it is 1:96, Germany 1:150 and even Greece, the Euro 2004 winners, have only 180,000 registered players for their 1,100 coaches, a ratio of 1:135.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/01/football-coach-shortage-england

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:06:39 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »

3)Again not sure why you think there's a lack of English youth coaches? The problem historically has always been the methods, rather than the quantity - every club and their mum has a youth team here.

5) Agreed

Let's start with #3.

As England fans grasp for indicators of how their team will perform at the World Cup, Digger can reveal statistics that will lead only to pessimism.

Three years ago an official report concluded that coaching is the "golden thread" leading to international success, but new Uefa data shows that there are only 2,769 English coaches holding Uefa's B, A and Pro badges, its top qualifications. Spain has produced 23,995, Italy 29,420, Germany 34,970 and France 17,588.
Between them those four nations have provided eight of the 12 finalists at all the World Cups and European Championships since 1998. England, meanwhile, have not appeared in a tournament final in 44 years.

There are 2.25 million players in England and only one Uefa-qualified coach for every 812 people playing the game. Spain, the World Cup favourites, have 408,134 players, giving a ratio of 1:17. In Italy, the world champions, the ratio is 1:48, in France it is 1:96, Germany 1:150 and even Greece, the Euro 2004 winners, have only 180,000 registered players for their 1,100 coaches, a ratio of 1:135.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/01/football-coach-shortage-england

Well that's depressing! Seems English football is worse than I thought

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2014, 05:24:50 AM »
You inquired re:#1 also ... There are several ways to look at it. Let's start with the players.

The US child population is at or about 74 million. In 2012, there were 3 million youth players registered with US Youth Soccer. This 3 million figure has remained unchanged during the past decade. It constitutes only about 4% of the child population. Within this, certain segments of society are glaringly under-represented.

The numbers peaked in 2007/2008, but are now back at year 2000 levels. It's a drop in the order of about 100,000 players, and is likely attributable to economic considerations.

Other kids participate outside of the 3 million.

1974 - 103,432
1980 - 810,793
1985 - 1,210,408
1990 - 1,615,041
1995 - 2,388,719
2000 - 3,020,442
2005 - 3,050,465
2007 - 3,123,698
2008 - 3,148,114
2009 - 3,094,868
2010 - 3,036,438
2011 - 3,025,551
2012 - 3,020,633

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2014, 06:07:17 AM »
You inquired re:#1 also ... There are several ways to look at it. Let's start with the players.

The US child population is at or about 74 million. In 2012, there were 3 million youth players registered with US Youth Soccer. This 3 million figure has remained unchanged during the past decade. It constitutes only about 4% of the child population. Within this, certain segments of society are glaringly under-represented.

The numbers peaked in 2007/2008, but are now back at year 2000 levels. It's a drop in the order of about 100,000 players, and is likely attributable to economic considerations.

Other kids participate outside of the 3 million.

1974 - 103,432
1980 - 810,793
1985 - 1,210,408
1990 - 1,615,041
1995 - 2,388,719
2000 - 3,020,442
2005 - 3,050,465
2007 - 3,123,698
2008 - 3,148,114
2009 - 3,094,868
2010 - 3,036,438
2011 - 3,025,551
2012 - 3,020,633

So how does that compare to coach numbers? I'm surprised the numbers havent gone up given southern demographic changes

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
Asylumseeker, that's some good data there. For me being educated in my coaching under US Soccer, has shown me why the game is developing at a scary speed here in the US. The vision and goals of the US Soccer and the seriousness that is shown to develop the level of coaching here is tremendously high. Its almost as if the US Soccer has a bad mind and are highly determined to produce very talented players. In doing so they are not just giving any Tom, Dick and Harry their Licenses. That person must show the capability of being able to affect the game here so that it can benefit soccer for the sake of the national team. For example, only 33% of the class passed the C License when I did it last summer. There were 40 coaches who did it. I don't know how the Local coaches in Trinidad and Tobago go about getting their Licenses. Also, are coaches motivated to continue improving their craft in order to help change the game in Trinidad and Tobago at the youth level?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
Some years ago one of the forumites here said he was the Asst. Coach of the US girls U-14 team, do you guys remember who that was?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
Some years ago one of the forumites here said he was the Asst. Coach of the US girls U-14 team, do you guys remember who that was?

VB

Yes.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »

VB

Yes, I remember who he is.

1]; } ?>