April 19, 2024, 11:17:36 AM

Author Topic: Your Most Memorable 'Old School' match  (Read 8057 times)

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Your Most Memorable 'Old School' match
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »
Recent threads on the board about past players and where they are now, brought back some real good football memories for me.

So I want to know... what is your most memorable 'OLD SCHOOL' game whether is for SCHOOL, CLUB or INTERNATIONAL ?
For this case 'OLD SCHOOL' will have to be defined as any season prior to 1991....because ah know some men would want to talk about the Strike Squad days.

One of my most memorable games would be 1985/86 Sando Tech vs Arima Snr. at the HC Stadium.
Those old enough would remember that year Tech boasted 11 national youth players...men like...
Leonson, Latas, Sutton (Russel or Ricardo, ah does get tie up with the two brothers), Ainsely Weekes, Sean Walkes, Marvellous Marvin Faustin, Gill, 'Nip', Anthony Clarke (who was at the sweat the other day) to name a few....
Arima was boasting the likes of Timothy Haynes and Kerry Jamerson (later strike squad) and others...
Anyway, game going down to the wire and scores deadlocked...then Faustin, who coulda play anywhere on the field...back, front, left, right...didn't make no difference, same poison...come charging down the right side, cut in towards to 18yd box from the by line...keeper rush out to cut off the angle...kinda half expecting Faustin to cross the ball since the angle cut off...but leave about a 9 inch space between he left leg and the near post...ent yuh know Faustin go put it right in the hole  :o
Crowd start to bawl....

Later that year, the same Tech team play the Defence Force in an exhibition game.  DF was the undisputed national champs at the time.  DF win the game one nil, but had to play they arse off to get the goal late in the game.  DF team at the time had men like Roderick 'Rambo' Gibbs, Bertran O' Brian, Seales (a short redman from the coast guard), Sutton (the older of the brothers).

The big clubs in those days were TRINTOC, DF, CIVIC CENTRE and CARONI.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Your Most Memorable 'Old School' match
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:54:30 PM »
Chris Sloan Seal was the man name. from South. Good footballer played for Hurricanes and then went to the Army.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »
Chris Sloan Seal was the man name. from South. Good footballer played for Hurricanes and then went to the Army.

I will put down de 9-1 licking St Georges get vs Tech institute on QRC ground in ah semi final. It will have to be ´73 or ´74 and was a semi final. St georges got to the final courtesy a 2-0 victory against QRC on their home ground .. we left the field after waiting for hours for them Royalians to come out from dey dressing room ...Ah promise to look one day to see if they still in deh but ah eh  get de time yet !!! heh heh heh

Anyway tech give we a sound lickin with peter mitchell de star of the show. fat man thorpe was also good showing men dat fat men can play too. ( Maybe i can start a thread for fat men footballers over de years ? )
Tech howver had about 7 players on de south trinidad team...as usual so we didn´t feel too bad ...I got de goal for out team... a mistake i believe !

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:07:02 PM »

That is the man self.  He was real fit, even as army men standards go.
Men used to say he could bun a car....meaning that a car would run out ah gas before he tired.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:07:19 PM »

That is the man self.  He was real fit, even as army men standards go.
Men used to say he could bun a car....meaning that a car would run out ah gas before he tired.

got it  :)

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:11:11 PM »

I will put down de 9-1 licking St Georges get vs Tech institute on QRC ground in ah semi final. It will have to be ´73 or ´74 and was a semi final. St georges got to the final courtesy a 2-0 victory against QRC on their home ground .. we left the field after waiting for hours for them Royalians to come out from dey dressing room ...Ah promise to look one day to see if they still in deh but ah eh get de time yet !!! heh heh heh

Anyway tech give we a sound lickin with peter mitchell de star of the show. fat man thorpe was also good showing men dat fat men can play too. ( Maybe i can start a thread for fat men footballers over de years ? )
Tech howver had about 7 players on de south trinidad team...as usual so we didn´t feel too bad ...I got de goal for out team... a mistake i believe !

I gathered you went George's, if so, you would know what ' by their fruits we shall know them' is all about.

anyway jai john, dais the only game yuh could find to talk about.. lawd.. yuh aint have no memorable games that yuh actually won or is that the only one yuh score in. ;D

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 07:58:58 PM »
most memerible has to go to

ST JAMES SEC VS MOCORAPO

this game we was up 2-0 at half time

multiple spanners later i saw shotta and figgy and dem beating ah bucket and dancing and celebrating our victory

so in the 80th minuite i decided to come off and wine on dem baddess and dem

tweet ball gone out so ah call out ah tired so bermont sub meh

trow in and ah man get the ball beat down the line spanner meh bighead leftback and chip meh keeper

ah hold meh head

very next ball ah feller take the ball beat the same left back and meh last man buddarush in easy easy to ah cap and boom

bullet fuh the keeper

goal

fellers it hard to believe but the next posession them get is de same youth man turn down de line and tear-up meh defence and score in the 91st min.

ah was so vex i laugh
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 08:24:24 PM »
Yep the Big 7 and Intercol finals of 85 with Sando Tech and Arima. It was 1 of them that Sando Tech won with 10 men as Dexter Gill was send off. That was SSFL you just use to go to school to meet to go to football. Those were the days.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 09:58:21 PM »
The 80s, anytime Bourg and Gustine play

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 10:55:13 PM »
John D vs Fatima  . CIC ground. 78'

QRC vs CIC , 80 someting Intercol final or semi in de Stadium ah tink Garcia play in dat game ah redman was de captain of QRC forget he name , maybe de Rocke brothers were playing fuh CIC too.
Ah getting old mih sight an memory fading .  :devil: :devil:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 11:10:30 PM »
QRC- CIC oval '67  or was it 66 ??? ;D

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 05:40:23 AM »
WAYYYYYYYY, 78, 80?!?! Men REAL showing dey age yes!!  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 05:45:48 AM »

I will put down de 9-1 licking St Georges get vs Tech institute on QRC ground in ah semi final. It will have to be ´73 or ´74 and was a semi final. St georges got to the final courtesy a 2-0 victory against QRC on their home ground .. we left the field after waiting for hours for them Royalians to come out from dey dressing room ...Ah promise to look one day to see if they still in deh but ah eh get de time yet !!! heh heh heh

I gathered you went George's, if so, you would know what ' by their fruits we shall know them' is all about.

anyway jai john, dais the only game yuh could find to talk about.. lawd.. yuh aint have no memorable games that yuh actually won or is that the only one yuh score in. ;D

no I dont boast about my achievements ..just the things I remember easily.... that game stood out for me.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 07:08:46 AM »
 tnt vz bharain     16-11-05

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 08:28:00 AM »
I go say about '70 in de oval
man i come out de oval into ah set ah qrc boys and I lost my good t-shirt dat day. de one wid all de ting bout qrc :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

'70 ? then yuh saw me, warm up....i was the fella from QRC, coach warm meh up from 2nd min in the 1st half...through half time, an 5 mins into the 2nd half...then ah went in the stands an sit down, with meh pardners an some nice gyul....he say "Maxg, yuh supposed to be out here warmin up"...ah cheers him with ah carib, and shout, "Coach, ah bun, send somebodyelse, ah cyar help the team"...of course that was meh last game...buh dah play had history, this youthman wasn't bad jus so..

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 09:08:46 AM »
I go say about '70 in de oval
man i come out de oval into ah set ah qrc boys and I lost my good t-shirt dat day. de one wid all de ting bout qrc :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

'70 ? then yuh saw me, warm up....i was the fella from QRC, coach warm meh up from 2nd min in the 1st half...through half time, an 5 mins into the 2nd half...then ah went in the stands an sit down, with meh pardners an some nice gyul....he say "Maxg, yuh supposed to be out here warmin up"...ah cheers him with ah carib, and shout, "Coach, ah bun, send somebodyelse, ah cyar help the team"...of course that was meh last game...buh dah play had history, this youthman wasn't bad jus so..

that happen to sherwyne marcano in ah intercol final in de oval. i rell laugh

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 09:47:01 AM »
1979...John D vs Fatima. Intercol North Zone Final replay.(John D won the first game 2-0 in the Oval, but Fatima protested claiming that the ref played the game 5 minutes too long during which time the first goal was scored)
The replay was on CIC grounds..John D down by 3 goals with ten minutes left tied the game. Total madness...fans converge on the field...overtime could not be played so they had to replay the game again.
Big Up!!! to my John D squad...one of the finest squads in the history of the colleges league.
Errol Lovell; Clayton Morris; Alan (Peru) Anderson; Garfield De Silva; Brian Haynes; Chris Pugh; Brent Cummberbatch; Wendell Ferguson; Shawn Annizette;Mercheson Jules; Ramos Carmona; Novell Gittens ;Curtis Riley; Castillano; Lester Parris; Kendall Reyes; Terry St Louis; George...
Of course the coaching staff-: Brigan; Nat and Ken Henry
Serious nostalgia yes!!!! :) :'(
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 10:10:49 AM »
1979...John D vs Fatima. Intercol North Zone Final replay.(John D won the first game 2-0 in the Oval, but Fatima protested claiming that the ref played the game 5 minutes too long during which time the first goal was scored)
The replay was on CIC grounds..John D down by 3 goals with ten minutes left tied the game. Total madness...fans converge on the field...overtime could not be played so they had to replay the game again.
Big Up!!! to my John D squad...one of the finest squads in the history of the colleges league.
Errol Lovell; Clayton Morris; Alan (Peru) Anderson; Garfield De Silva; Brian Haynes; Chris Pugh; Brent Cummberbatch; Wendell Ferguson; Shawn Annizette;Mercheson Jules; Ramos Carmona; Novell Gittens ;Curtis Riley; Castillano; Lester Parris; Kendall Reyes; Terry St Louis; George...

Dat was de game.
Las ten minutes John D score three goals , ah remember de linesmen an dem had tuh guess where de lines was because of de crowd.
Brent an me does still lime wen ah home, he working NP now, ah feel yuh have some names wrong though.
What were you doing then ?
I was in civil tech.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 10:20:25 AM »
This is an unfair thread. Pre 91. plenty of the men on this board probably was under 10. :D
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 10:44:03 AM »
i remember a time a team from trinidad came to NY,  played a game at randall's island. i not sure about de team i think it was petrotrin something,  i was small and cant remember to much. i was de ball boy during that game. it was before de 94 world cup. if anybody know where im coming from help meh out.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 10:46:30 AM »
Fishs: I really want to keep my identity private because of some of my opinions on other polls...nothing personal, but let's just say that the police horse did not trample my foot when the madness break out. The back up keeper George had to be treated because the horse run over his foot, that's how close I was to this game. I do believe that I have most, if not all of these fine brothers' names correct.

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 11:02:36 AM »
Benedicts - Ptown 98 or 99 (ah tink) Intercol Final (or was it South Zone)
Two early goal on de NO 1 shirt. Coming in as favourites already down at de half. De benedicts stand at de skinner park quiet. Not ah sound. Felt like St Anthony's de year before. Not ah chanter in site. Men face tuh de floor. We vex bad bad bad. We attack in shambles. Imagine de La Romain lions in ah hole.. No hope in site. Then out ah de blue, counter attack, Dia Hunte decides tuh make ah run... takes on one... gets by him..... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the defender comes from no where... all we know in de stand Dia cyar get up (we find out after he hand brake) .... One man start shout Toussaint.... Toussaint Now de whole crowd pick up Toussaint Toussaint. Issa, Mohammed heed de crowd advice.. Toussaint Toussaint some clown with ah Two Face flag feel we calling him waving ah blocking we view... All yuh hear is "Two Face put down yuh flag"... new chant start.... "Two Face put down yuh flag". By de time Two face flag down ... Toussaint down take on de defensce slap in one. Before we cud done sing "Run dem round St Benedicts, We don't care what nobody say play boys play with ah piece ah rope and ah mango see we go !@#%$# de goally" .. Toussaint pick up ah next ball at de half, cap bout three men and slot ah half vollyed shot home... Ah cyar tell yuh how de last goal score cuz all ah know is dat de big bottom ting infornt meh jump up, knock off meh glasses de man next tuh meh mash it.. But ah still tek ah wine on she and pinch she tush... Whole evening ah singing " Oh when de saints go marching home"

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »
Allyuh men is real kicks boy...ah really like the naratives.  I could remember hearing about the JD vs Fatima game too.  Controversy went on for a good while after the game.

I know some men would be of age to know back in the days when we had the TTFA and TTFF was the break away federation.  I was too naive to really care what was going on at the time.  Anybody out dey have any of details of what went on that cause the split ?  I remember teams like ASL with Brian Williams pulling out of TTFA.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 01:33:32 PM »

He is a boss coach just as he was a boss player. Boss!! I believe he coached the national under 15 team back in 1997. Him and Lester Young from Joe Public. He is not doing anything now but just spending time with his family. Trinidad and Tobago needs him in their youth system.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 02:01:36 PM »

He is a boss coach just as he was a boss player. Boss!! I believe he coached the national under 15 team back in 1997. Him and Lester Young from Joe Public. He is not doing anything now but just spending time with his family. Trinidad and Tobago needs him in their youth system.

Kingman

lester young coach me at his coaching school in 99-01. i hear he like boys now. de man kick meh out when he find out ah went on ah caledonia trial oui

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 03:24:06 PM »

Kingman

lester young coach me at his coaching school in 99-01. i hear he like boys now. de man kick meh out when he find out ah went on ah caledonia trial oui

:rotfl:

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 03:40:32 PM »

The John D perspective with photos
http://fatimaboys.homestead.com/fatimajohnd1979.html

The Fatima perspective with photos
http://fatimaboys.homestead.com/graemerodriguez.html

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 05:06:05 PM »
well I have memorable games anybody remember Memphis vs Army at Lever Brothers gound in Tunapuna when Memphis had Keto Joseph, Caryle general Andrews, Mickey rat, clyde grant, Banks in goal, ARMY had Ron nad Len, Anthony Fernands, Delecphe, keto had just left the army was playing with memphis. Five minutes into the game he get lick up, long story short memphis put it on them ah think the final score was 2-1 if ah remember right mickey rat and micheal chance socre, and for mine minor game Aranguez league anytime Hillsdale meet either Organs, Naco, Mirco, Ballplayers, Petit Bourg youths, Bluffers yeah that was good football we used to pull nuff crowd, man used rush outta work to see that

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 06:15:57 PM »
well I have memorable games anybody remember Memphis vs Army at Lever Brothers gound in Tunapuna when Memphis had Keto Joseph, Caryle general Andrews, Mickey rat, clyde grant, Banks in goal, ARMY had Ron nad Len, Anthony Fernands, Delecphe, keto had just left the army was playing with memphis. Five minutes into the game he get lick up, long story short memphis put it on them ah think the final score was 2-1 if ah remember right mickey rat and micheal chance socre, and for mine minor game Aranguez league anytime Hillsdale meet either Organs, Naco, Mirco, Ballplayers, Petit Bourg youths, Bluffers yeah that was good football we used to pull nuff crowd, man used rush outta work to see that

Let me suggest a lil correction, the biggest crowds in Aranguez in hem times you talking about was always MICO  and Survival, hands down.. how yuh go leave out Survival??? and with maddee s the feferee, yuh never know what go happen next, Maddee used to give man red card before the game start.

Yuh absolutely right about Narcotics and Organs real big side, used to pull real crowd, when nuts man and the pie lady sell out yuh know is real big crodwd.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »
VB: Thanks for the articles, I have the John D one s friend sent me when it was published. The first replay of the trilogy I believe is an all time classic. I have a colleague who recentlt told me that as a youngster he was at the first game at the Oval, and when he saw John D play he became a footballer that day...determined to do all that he could so that one day he would wear the Maroon & White.
With all due respect, Fatima had a serious squad too. ;)

1]; } ?>