April 23, 2024, 09:50:53 PM

Author Topic: Greatest Save Ever?  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Greatest Save Ever?
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:57:41 AM »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Greatest Save Ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 07:07:05 AM »
Haha.. well he saved well... he is obviously mad no arse... he could have not himself out by hitting the top bar wit all de height he get fuh dat... pretty reckless...  I suppose in de end he didnt conceed de goal.

BEST KEEPER EVER.

Gordon Banks...

The save against Pele's close range header in the 1970 World Cup.

That had to be the best reflex save ever....
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:45:29 AM »
Haha.. well he saved well... he is obviously mad no arse... he could have not himself out by hitting the top bar wit all de height he get fuh dat... pretty reckless...  I suppose in de end he didnt conceed de goal.

BEST KEEPER EVER.

Gordon Banks...

The save against Pele's close range header in the 1970 World Cup.

That had to be the best reflex save ever....
even pele was amazed.im sure banks was surprised too.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:50:55 AM »
What was incredible about the Banks save was not that he saved the header, but that he somehow managed to parry it up off the ground up over the bar....not sure if he even knew how he did it.....

As a side note, if you ever get to see that save again, in the entire sequence, pay attention to the pass that was made to Jairzinho for him to cross the ball to Pele......magical.

My vote for best save ever is:

Taffarel vs Scotland W.C. 90......a point blank save in the dying minutes......wish I had the clip..

someone on big soccer alluded to it in this thread:

http://www.metrofan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216377&page=2
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 10:12:15 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 10:22:45 AM »
kelvin jack vz bharain....it gave us all a smile......tnt tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 10:26:29 AM »

i wanna say that too but i was waiting to see what men think could compare.

that save was impossible fuh mere mortals. the whole ah trini was in his hands when he dove fuh that ball.

god had somthing to do with that cause when the camera show the view from the back it was ah blind shot

best in my book :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 10:29:49 AM »
ah glad yuh mention dat morvant....because ah telling yuh....it was not " kelvin jack" save dat.....and who dont believe in dat...well one day.....god bless tnt.....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »
Peter Schmeichel for Man Boo vs Arsenal in the FA Cup in the treble year.
I don't remember if it was the replay, but Bergkamp get a ball at the top of the box and I swear it was goal.
The ball was heading for the bottom right corner and Schmeichel fly and palm it out. 
Bergkamp was in shock.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »
I now watch de video.  Why did Coupet head the ball? Crazy yes.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 11:43:22 AM »
What was incredible about the Banks save was not that he saved the header, but that he somehow managed to parry it up off the ground up over the bar....not sure if he even knew how he did it.....

As a side note, if you ever get to see that save again, in the entire sequence, pay attention to the pass that was made to Jairzinho for him to cross the ball to Pele......magical.

Taffarel vs Scotland W.C. 90......a point blank save in the dying minutes......wish I had the clip..

Taffarel is brazillian, right?
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »

Taffarel is brazillian, right?
correct is right...was de keeper for dem also in 94
Back in Trini...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 12:34:45 PM »

Taffarel rep'd Brazil in WC'S 90, 94 & 98

Some would say that he was the first of a new breed of good Brazilian keepers (Brazil was often considered sub-par in the keeping dep't)......I think he was the first foreign keeper to start for a serie A team (Parma).....feel free to correct me if you know different. Before senior level, he was known at olympic level for being a good pk stopper......
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 12:36:39 PM by kicker »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »

Taffarel rep'd Brazil in WC'S 90, 94 & 98

Some would say that he was the first of a new breed of good Brazilian keepers (Brazil was often considered sub-par in the keeping dep't)......I think he was the first foreign keeper to start for a serie A team (Parma).....feel free to correct me if you know different. Before senior level, he was known at olympic level for being a good pk stopper......

I wud sooner say he was the last in the old breed of bad keepers. Dida and Julio Cesar are far better than Taffarel ever was. And Dida is a prolific pk stopper, Taffarel made his name as a pk stopper off the back of 2 games - the 94 WC (although it was Baggio dat missed rather than him saving) and the UEFA Cup 2000 shootout. I found him very erratic otherwise

Having said that, he was playing behind a very suspect defence for most of his international career. Its only recently that Brazil's defence has become respectable.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 01:17:15 PM »

I wud sooner say he was the last in the old breed of bad keepers. Dida and Julio Cesar are far better than Taffarel ever was. And Dida is a prolific pk stopper, Taffarel made his name as a pk stopper off the back of 2 games - the 94 WC (although it was Baggio dat missed rather than him saving) and the UEFA Cup 2000 shootout. I found him very erratic otherwise

Having said that, he was playing behind a very suspect defence for most of his international career. Its only recently that Brazil's defence has become respectable.

Taffarel got a rep for being a penalty stopper at the youth level (the olympics).

He was been around way before WC 94....The penalty that he stopped in 94 was Massaro's. Baresi and Baggio both hit over the bar.

Brazil kept a clean sheet in 5 out of 7 games in WC 94. (same number of clean sheets as Zenga in Italia 90) If that is a record of a suspect defence, then I don't know what to say about most defences in world football.

Taffarel also saved 2 pks in the W.C. 98 shootout against Holland

Taffarel was criticized from time to time in the latter stages of his career, but for the most part was a well respected keeper.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 01:24:41 PM by kicker »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »

Taffarel got a rep for being a penalty stopper at the youth level (the olympics).

He was been around way before WC 94....The penalty that he stopped in 94 was Massaro's. Baresi and Baggio both hit over the bar.

Brazil kept a clean sheet in 5 out of 7 games in WC 94. (same number of clean sheets as Zenga in Italia 90) If that is a record of a suspect defence, then I don't know what to say about most defences in world football.

Taffarel also saved 2 pks in the W.C. 98 shootout against Holland

Taffarel was criticized from time to time in the latter stages of his career, but for the most part was a well respected keeper.

Fair points. But you cant compare Taffarel to Zenga. Zenga is a legend.  ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 01:46:26 PM »

true Zenga is a legend....Taffarel is not....but I respected him in his day.

Offline Augi

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 01:47:28 PM »
Kevin Leacock in the HC  National Stadium 91  north zone intercol semifinal QRC v Saints.What a game!So many great saves by leacock

Isaachunt

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 01:55:31 PM »
 What about Kahn against South Korea?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 03:38:37 PM »

i wanna say that too but i was waiting to see what men think could compare.

that save was impossible fuh mere mortals. the whole ah trini was in his hands when he dove fuh that ball.

god had somthing to do with that cause when the camera show the view from the back it was ah blind shot

best in my book :beermug:

...and the shot come off Ian Cox head too and Jack still save it.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 03:42:48 PM »

true Zenga is a legend....Taffarel is not....but I respected him in his day.

Taffa is probably the Best Brazilian goalkeeper I've ever seen. He was really good. "Frangiero" ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 03:51:53 PM »
if Zenga considered to be great, i doh see why taffarrel cyah be considered a great keeper too... d man show up when it counted, world cup finals (twice), that is the mark of a great player.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »
was done by A columbian Keeper .. It was a donkey kick save.. I think his name was higeta..save was de best ever recorded..  I got a link somewhere for it I..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »
was done by A columbian Keeper .. It was a donkey kick save.. I think his name was higeta..save was de best ever recorded.. I got a link somewhere for it I..
war

Higuita's Scorpion Kick...dat wasnt so much a save as a party trick. He never did it in a competitive match and never attempted it under pressure.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 04:28:20 PM »
was done by A columbian Keeper .. It was a donkey kick save.. I think his name was higeta..save was de best ever recorded.. I got a link somewhere for it I..
war

Higuita's Scorpion Kick...dat wasnt so much a save as a party trick. He never did it in a competitive match and never attempted it under pressure.

i see that too. I thought that was a blooper , had no idea it was intended

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 05:02:11 PM »
war

i see that too. I thought that was a blooper , had no idea it was intended

He did it on several occasions, most noteably against England

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/20379/amazing_goal_keeper/

As people was discussing Zane in another thread (http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=12734.0), I see him do the same move in a Intercol match (obviously not as goalkeeper)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 05:04:24 PM by Ryan »

1]; } ?>