April 19, 2024, 10:41:33 PM

Author Topic: ‘Warriors’ regroup for Honduras, Guatemala clashes.  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
‘Warriors’ regroup for Honduras, Guatemala clashes.
« on: March 14, 2005, 05:07:46 PM »
Issued By: Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Press Officer.
[/size]

National football coach Bertille St Clair returned from London on Monday following his six-day visit with some of the country’s overseas-based professionals and will resume training at the Larry Gomes Stadium from 4:30pm on Tuesday.
St Clair reportedly held excellent meetings with some of the players including striker Dwight Yorke, Coventry City’s Stern John and Portsmouth goalie Shaka Hislop, as well as technical consultant Graham Taylor about this country’s recent matches and ones to follow beginning with the warm up international against Honduras at the Ted Hendricks Stadium in Miami on March 22.
“The trip was a useful in the sense that we held some excellent talks with some of the players about what we are aiming to achieve over the next few matches,” St Clair told TTFF Media. “The schedule here is still very hectic and this meant that we were not able to meet personally with some of the guys but we were all in touch and they have all expressed a huge amount of desire to put their best effort forward in the back to back qualifiers we have coming up against Guatemala and Costa Rica.”
For the friendly against Honduras which will also face the United States in another friendly on March 19, T&T is expected to have the full quota of overseas and home-based pros. But St Clair could not reveal the final list as some niggling injuries has caused a delay. Dallas FC striker Cornell Glen is struggling with an ankle strain and midfielder Denzil Theobald is also nursing an instep injury. The likes of Yorke, John, Hislop, Carlos Edwards, Marvin Andrews, Brent Sancho and Kenwyne Jones are almost certain to be in the line up.
“The guys are all confident and it’s important that we go into the friendly with the best team possible because what takes place on the field matters the most. And the friendly against Honduras is just the type of game we need before taking on the other two teams from Central America,” St Clair added.
John meantime scored for Coventry in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Cardiff City with St Clair sitting in the stands and is hoping to maintain his form with the T&T number 14 on his back.
“He knows I can score goals so it was that big of a deal scoring in front of him (St Clair),” John said. “But I think it was an important goal for the club because we are fighting relegation and hopefully I can keep them coming for the next set of games coming up for T&T.”
The local contingent departs for Miami on Sunday and will be met by the overseas-pros on the same day ahead of Wednesday’s friendly. Following the World Cup qualifier against Guatemala on March 26, T&T will then host Costa Rica on March 30 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 05:45:32 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Warriors’ regroup for Honduras, Guatemala clashes.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 11:23:21 PM »
Issued By: Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Press Officer.
[/size]

“The trip was a useful in the sense that we held some excellent talks with some of the players about what we are aiming to achieve over the next few matches,” St Clair told TTFF Media.

Did he really have to go all the way to England to tell dem fellas what they should have known donkey years now? GT getting paid to host BSC when he's in England..what esle could his job be?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 01:24:40 AM »

The only thing really useful i could see from the trip is taking a look at the fringe players and maybe letting them know they stilll in the loop.

Talking to the rest of players who already in the squad could really and truly be done over the phone.

I not sure what the talks with GT are like...chalk board sessions?  looking at video footage?  ole talk and mamaguay?

Wonder what the squad who actually training at home think about this trip.  I hope Bertille know he has to be tight with the local players and have their trust.  He at home now and should try his best to implement whatever tactics he has "gathered" with just the local players on the pitch.  O wait...no warm up games.  dem men have to play at least one game before they leave even if is 7 subs allowed.

I thinking this is not so much for the players but more for the technical team to try to actually execute our planned tactics...especially if they have anything new in mind.  Hope everything goes well this week.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:40:28 AM »
I hope Theobald and Glen is ok for those games, we need runners and workers and them men fit the bill....

1]; } ?>