April 19, 2024, 09:38:04 PM

Author Topic: "Maybe we needed our ass kicked." -- Kasey Keller  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
"Maybe we needed our ass kicked." -- Kasey Keller
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:58:33 AM »
USA coach Arena, Keller sound off

Jamie Trecker / Fox Soccer Channel

DORTMUND, Germany - The message was clear: The Americans got a wake-up call tonight, and some of these players won't be around anymore.

In a scathing series of statements both manager Bruce Arena and goalkeeper Kasey Keller lit into a side that conceded four second-half goals in a 4-1 collapse tonight at the Westfalen stadium.

"Tonight was a reality check for us," said a seething Keller after the game in an interview littered with curse words. "I don't think I can express how I feel in words you guys can print."

Arena was no less cutting: The MLS players? "I think you saw that they were very unfit to play at this level," said Arena.

Bobby Convey, the lone attacking midfielder? "He didn't do well defensively — his man (Arne Freidrich) outplayed him in that aspect of the game."

Was he happy with anyone? "I don't think too many players played themselves onto the World Cup roster tonight."

The bottom line, according to Keller: "These guys have to know that a team like this isn't just going to let you run around. I think some of us thought we could walk out on the field and kick the s--- out of anyone. Maybe some of these guys took our ranking too seriously."

Strong stuff — but did the team get the message?

Heavily-criticized defender Gregg Berhalter — who was involved in three of the four goals — tried to deflect some of the blame tonight, saying: "We gave them too much space at the back, but you have to play defense as a group."

Keller wasn't having it. Without singling anyone out, anyone who saw the game knew what and who Keller was talking about when he called the mistakes "stupid" and added that "you can't just let the ball bounce around in your box like that."

The truth is tonight probably doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Despite the name on the jersey, this was hardly the side you'll see come June.

Yet this game shouldn't have been this ugly for the Americans, despite their reduced status.

"We got beat and we deserved to get beat," said Arena. "This was the USA playing tonight — it doesn't matter who we were missing."

Arena now must go back to the drawing board and reevaluate an historic problem area for the American team: the defense. As seen in 1990, 1994, 1998 and yes, even 2002, defense and lapses of concentration chronically plague this side.

Several Americans — notably Chris Klein, Brian Ching and Kerry Zavagnin — lacked any sort of spring in their steps and at one point defenders Cory Gibbs and Berhalter were inexplicably conceding the entire right side of the field to the German offense.

Arena, who usually shoulders all blame, did admit that he wished he hadn't taken a "second-string team" to play Germany.

"We got hurt when Josh (Wolff) had to come out [concussion] but we made a dumb mistake at the start of the first half that allowed the Germans to play to their strengths."

As for any charity to the German team, which has been in a media-stoked crisis?

"Who cares about the Germans," said Keller. "I care more about what this does for us. Maybe we needed our ass kicked."

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "Maybe we needed our ass kicked." -- Kasey Keller
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:02:16 AM »

DORTMUND, Germany - The message was clear: The Americans got a wake-up call tonight, and some of these players won't be around anymore.

In a scathing series of statements both manager Bruce Arena and goalkeeper Kasey Keller lit into a side that conceded four second-half goals in a 4-1 collapse tonight at the Westfalen stadium.

"Tonight was a reality check for us," said a seething Keller after the game in an interview littered with curse words. "I don't think I can express how I feel in words you guys can print."

Arena was no less cutting: The MLS players? "I think you saw that they were very unfit to play at this level," said Arena.

Bobby Convey, the lone attacking midfielder? "He didn't do well defensively — his man (Arne Freidrich) outplayed him in that aspect of the game."

Was he happy with anyone? "I don't think too many players played themselves onto the World Cup roster tonight."

The bottom line, according to Keller: "These guys have to know that a team like this isn't just going to let you run around. I think some of us thought we could walk out on the field and kick the s--- out of anyone. Maybe some of these guys took our ranking too seriously."

Strong stuff — but did the team get the message?

Heavily-criticized defender Gregg Berhalter — who was involved in three of the four goals — tried to deflect some of the blame tonight, saying: "We gave them too much space at the back, but you have to play defense as a group."

Keller wasn't having it. Without singling anyone out, anyone who saw the game knew what and who Keller was talking about when he called the mistakes "stupid" and added that "you can't just let the ball bounce around in your box like that."

The truth is tonight probably doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Despite the name on the jersey, this was hardly the side you'll see come June.

Yet this game shouldn't have been this ugly for the Americans, despite their reduced status.

"We got beat and we deserved to get beat," said Arena. "This was the USA playing tonight — it doesn't matter who we were missing."

Arena now must go back to the drawing board and reevaluate an historic problem area for the American team: the defense. As seen in 1990, 1994, 1998 and yes, even 2002, defense and lapses of concentration chronically plague this side.

Several Americans — notably Chris Klein, Brian Ching and Kerry Zavagnin — lacked any sort of spring in their steps and at one point defenders Cory Gibbs and Berhalter were inexplicably conceding the entire right side of the field to the German offense.

Arena, who usually shoulders all blame, did admit that he wished he hadn't taken a "second-string team" to play Germany.

"We got hurt when Josh (Wolff) had to come out [concussion] but we made a dumb mistake at the start of the first half that allowed the Germans to play to their strengths."

As for any charity to the German team, which has been in a media-stoked crisis?

"Who cares about the Germans," said Keller. "I care more about what this does for us. Maybe we needed our ass kicked."

"Who cares about the Germans," said Keller.

and he plays in de bundesliga.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:07:13 AM »
I'm sure he didn't mean it like that but meant, how cares about what the win did for them than what the lost did to the US.  It good fuh dem though, stop bumpin you gum so damn much.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:12:00 AM »

"Who cares about the Germans," said Keller.

and he plays in de bundesliga.

That was just his unsportsmanlike way of discrediting the German team's performance.......yeah he coulda been a little more mature and commended them, especially since he does play week in and week out with those guys........sounds like the interview was done while his head was still hot.....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 10:13:46 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 10:12:56 AM »
the us didnt score one goal. if you see the game you would understand what i mean. de man hit de keeper

yuh cyar do that.

code amoungst strikers is not to damage the keeper
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:14:45 AM »
Hmmm, at least dey willing to admit they didn't perform well and were not making excuses.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:31 AM »
Arena needs to check himself. Dumba*@ american pride just got a good ole beat down. Just like them lose a game and suddenly no one is good, i am the only good player/coach everyone else is at fault. :rotfl:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 10:20:40 AM »
dem men crosss...lol..

Today is a good warrior nation day

GO WARRIORS
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 10:21:43 AM »
what he actually means, is that despite FIFA rankings, the USA are still as much a force in world Football, as Jamaica are in downhill skiing.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
dem men crosss...lol..

Today is a good warrior nation day

GO WARRIORS

LOL... that article and this post make my day  :)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 10:38:53 AM »
As soon as I saw the article I said, "nah boy , I must post this one!" 

It is really good to see the big talkers eat a lil humble pie.  And on a day with no other International Friendlies, and the German team and coach under some pressure, THE WHOLE WORLD WITNESSED THE CUT ARSE THEY GOT.

If you want to see what the US fans are saying go here

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329525

Enjoy!   ;D

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 10:48:08 AM »
Is time osmeone put them in deh place.  We need to do the same thing!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 10:57:25 AM »
I already stated my caase on the USA. But I must admit I have to smile when men on this site say the US does bump dem gum. Like man doh read dis site or what. We does real bump we gum, so we guilty of the same.

Now the USA and Mexico are  the measuring stick for CONCACAF regardless what people say. Mexico carrying the banner at the World level on a consistent basis for the longest while. USA had one good World Cup outing and people already talking about them winning in 2010. Reality check please!

We never beat the USA in competition and quite frankly that does not matter for the WC because we not playing the USA. However, for the sake of CONCACAF realize all eyes on us. Most of World Football, especially the South Americans and Europe think is no way in hell we should have 4 spots. and believe me dem arguing tooth and nail in the halls of FIFA.

We meaning Trinidad and CONCACAF need a solid outing to prove the critics wrong. 
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Augi

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »
I know the US defense was non existent but Keller have to take some of the blame. In the past you could give the US a fighting chance against any team in the world because of the heroics of Keller.Last night he was less than his usual self.I hope this is trend he plans to continue right on into this summer.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »

These two statements were key for me. If anyone of us think we can carry a 2nd string team and compete with anyone worth playing, or PFL players. I think you are sadly mistaken. We will get the same sort of licks and would have mainly wasted already scarce resources.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 11:31:21 AM »

But wait, I now ketch dat too. Dat mean Arena was beside he dam self. Dat mean he didn have no respeck for Germany.
Toujour Pret!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 11:34:29 AM »
I eh goh lie...Arena and Keller come across a little ungracious and sound like sore losers. Shame on them for disrespecting their teammates like that. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

At the same time, we need to take a page out of their book...be hard on yourself...be critical. That is why USA will continue to improve. That is why they continually cut our a$$ going and coming.....because they have self-belief. Imagine, a 2nd string US team walks into Germany's own back yard expecting to win. They collect 4 and get vex. If we send our 2nd team to germany and collect 4, one setta men on theis site go say we woulda beat them wit' we A side, we going and win the WC. How much licks we does get by the US and still talk one setta shit about how we better than them and make one setta excuses about why we didn't win...USA eh makin' no excuses...they just gettin vex and they going to be a better side for it....

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 11:46:51 AM »

These two statements were key for me. If anyone of us think we can carry a 2nd string team and compete with anyone worth playing, or PFL players. I think you are sadly mistaken. We will get the same sort of licks and would have mainly wasted already scarce resources.

Breds you took the words right out ah meh mouth.  This is a point i've been trying to make on a previous thread when men saying oh we not playing enough warm up games and we level of competition to soft and why we didn't go to the tournamant in the middle east?
Thank God for Beenie, he knows what we have. man talking 'bout let the 'B' team play.

If you play a 'B' (from the pool of 'B' team players we have) against world cup calibre teams the outcome will be similar to what happened to the US yesterday or even worse.

You may not be able to evaluated a player properly if he is stuck with 10 other 'B' team players, I like beenies approach, you systematically placed them amongst the core of your starters and see how the chemistry unfolds.

Hind -sight is 20-20 and ah betting Bruce Arena would want to go back and rethink before singning that contract to play Germany with the players he had available. Loosing 4-1 right before a WC does nothing good for a team's morale.

Thank you Beenie, I have full confidence in your judgement.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:49:50 AM by College »

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 11:49:46 AM »

Breds you took the words right out ah meh mouth.  This is a point i've been trying to make on a previous thread when men saying oh we not playing enough warm up games and we level of competition to soft and why we didn't go to the tournamant in the middle east?
Thank God for Beenie, he knows what we have. man talking 'bout let the 'B' team play.

If you play a 'B' (from the pool of 'B' team players we have) against world cup calibre teams the outcome will be similar to what happened to the US yesterday or even worse.

You may not be able to evaluated a player properly if he is stuck with 10 other 'B' team players, I like beenies approach, you systematically placed them amongst the core of your starters and see how the chemistry unfolds.

Hind -sight is 20-20 and ah betting Bruce Arena could go back and rethink before singning that contract to play Germany with the players he had available. Loosing 4-1 right before a WC does nothing good for a team's morale.

:applause:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 11:55:55 AM »
this defeat was a mighty blow de yanks took from zee germans.i would not say it broke their spirit but made feel vulnerable.they are not as mighty as they think.and this is wat hurts them.YANKEES... get use to it.there is more to come.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 12:06:54 PM »

But wait, I now ketch dat too. Dat mean Arena was beside he dam self. Dat mean he didn have no respeck for Germany.

Yuh unerstan!

I also agree with what College said too.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 12:12:52 PM »
I reading their board and noticing someting
1) It have ppl alleging that Klinsmann and Arena did work something out to make sure he job safe. Especially as Klinsmann livin in Cali he and Arena tight....so dey really eh dissapoint me with de excuses  :rotfl:
2)In a way they discrediting the quality of players that play in the MLS and in a way the standard of their league........

That second one have me a lil suprised doh.....
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 12:13:23 PM »

Hind -sight is 20-20 and ah betting Bruce Arena would want to go back and rethink before singning that contract to play Germany with the players he had available. Loosing 4-1 right before a WC does nothing good for a team's morale.

Ghana postpone ah game with Iran because they couldnt get enough 1st team players.

I think in the long run even though this was clearly a US B team they will learn from the experience and while losing like that for many other countries will bring morale down....I think it will have the opposite effect with the US.

Note that the US were beaten 4-2 by Germany BEFORE the 2002 World Cup. We all know how that went for them.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »
Ghana postpone ah game with Iran because they couldnt get enough 1st team players.

I think in the long run even though this was clearly a US B team they will learn from the experience and while losing like that for many other countries will bring morale down....I think it will have the opposite effect with the US.

Note that the US were beaten 4-2 by Germany BEFORE the 2002 World Cup. We all know how that went for them.

Point taken...I might  agree with you in the case of the US, but not miost teams..

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 01:57:03 PM »
Das to show yuh how serious d veterans on both our and d US teams     if TnT was to play cocky and expect to win  i am sure dwighty wouldda sed d same far less fuh beenie yuh no how he does move

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »
stewps...... i dunno why anyone botherin to read this shit.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 02:32:51 PM »
Fellas see how the US is and does think.  They think the entire world supposed to bow down to dem in football.  We'll see how much better their 1st team will do.  No coach should ever dis their team like that. I feel he was probably trying to save his job.  Sore losses.  Reality check! take that and Feel!
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »
When and where that game showin again?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 02:50:57 PM »
When and where that game showin again?

I was checking on ESPN, buh dey eh have it sceduled. Well ah only checked for today and tomorrow eh, so maybe dey'll show it over de weekend.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »
"Maybe we needed our ass kicked." -- Kasey Keller .....AND they got JUST that :rotfl:

1]; } ?>