April 27, 2024, 08:22:57 AM

Author Topic: Freddy Adu Thread  (Read 120258 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Freddy Adu Thread
« on: May 13, 2005, 02:50:23 PM »

Adu selected to national team roster

May 12, 2005
BLAINE, Minn. (AP) -- Teenage sensation Freddy Adu of D.C. United was among 24 players selected Thursday for the U.S. Under-20 national team that will face Canada on Wednesday.

Coach Sigi Schmid chose eight professional players, seven from MLS teams and one from Europe, and 16 nonprofessionals currently in camp at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

Adu, at 15 the youngest member of the squad, will be joined by Chad Barrett (Chicago Fire), Hunter Freeman (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Gaven (MetroStars), Will John (Chicago Fire), Danny Szetela (Columbus Crew) and Tim Ward (MetroStars) from the MLS. The lone overseas professional is goalkeeper Quentin Westberg, who plays for ESTAC Troyes in the French second division.

The match will be a tuneup for the Americans, who will compete next month in the FIFA World Youth Championship in the Netherlands. They are in Group D with Argentina, Germany and Egypt.

``This match against Canada is crucial to our preparations for the World Youth Championship,'' Schmid said. ``Going up against a quality opponent who has also qualified for Holland will provide us with a measuring stick in terms of how we are progressing and what we will need to work on before our first match of the tournament.''

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:40:04 PM by Flex »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adu selected to national team roster its happening already
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 04:05:31 PM »
oh i thought it was the full nt 

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 11:33:09 PM »
he was always on the u20's he score against we in miami

doh hype up the board for nuttin nah!!!
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 02:36:01 AM »
Bally, like yuh smoke ah piece. ?

Abu has been on the US under 20 team a while now, de man play against we in LA boy.

I believe once he reach adult he will even out, he will not be anything special, de US does hype him up to much, that over age clown.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 09:54:11 AM »
he eh have no birth certificate - he could be 25 not 15

seriously though, ah go agree with sam, he eh nothing special and he go be decent but no phenom.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 12:00:22 PM »
Yah boy Sam I post it before reading but even if he is 17 teen and let me note they did a bone marrow test to confirm his age he is special don’t hate because he’s not playing for Trinidad because if he was a trini you guys would off been all over him. They guy is good very good. 

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 12:18:08 PM »
yea, buh he ent US either, so...an he playing for dem....so wha wrong with we, we have equally good youths, always had... buh yuh doesn/t know, improper attitude & future training/development, regressive sport environment, disruptive friends and peers, ignorant and selfish parents,abusive & insulting SUpporters...make every potential pearl, just want to stay in dey shell....thankfully few stepup...
Hurrah all T&T representatives...dah includes you Dwight,please doh mess we up again

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 12:29:35 PM »
I’m not saying we don’t have talented players I’m just saying if Adu was a Trini every body would be hailing the new king the kid is good even if he 17 his vision ball control and his ability to use both feet put him in a different class it don’t matter where he was born or who he plays for the kid is good 

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »
he is good for 15 turning 16 look cornell glen does struggle in the mls this youth is running with big men
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 12:52:51 PM »
I’m not saying we don’t have talented players I’m just saying if Adu was a Trini every body would be hailing the new king the kid is good even if he 17 his vision ball control and his ability to use both feet put him in a different class it don’t matter where he was born or who he plays for the kid is good 

I hear yuh...buh what I saying is ..yes Adu is good (special even)...I saying if we had equal oppurtunities , or more direct, equal attitudes towards development, we could most likely produce a few Adus (or Adues ???)...Our bigest problem is us, we can eventually produce the individuals as training and nuturing awareness improve, and I think it is in that process now...football is a team game though....and that has been our major obstacle...that is where attitudes, and exchanging respect with team-mates, opposing players, coaches, confidants, supporters, a mix, as opposed to an individual, plays what may be as far as we and team sports are concerned , a major role....like some fellas say...dah's is wha make WE we...Our individuality, our uniqueness, our ability to stand alone, and withstand any environment, our ability to achieve as individuals...our society preps us for it....

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 01:09:46 PM »
I know exactly what yah saying I used to talk about  a fella call Josh Belgrave this guy is good but his head get big and he stop training and school so he fall of the raider now he’s a star in St Ann’s and that’s it this guy had a trial with Porto at age 10 but his mom felt he was to young but maybe if he had gone to Portugal he would off gotten the right training to be a professional 

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 06:27:28 PM »
I have had the oppertunity to see this kid play many times and like some of you had the same feelings about him,but lets forget where he from and all that,lets look at football he has proven himself,he plays in the same league some of our best players are struggleing to play in and does well,if T&T could do what the US does with players we could be able to produce a few guys like that,look back a bit we had guys like Anton,Marcelle etc     

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 08:51:24 PM »
i hope yuh aint talkin bout anton corneal. Oh no, the fruit did fall far from de tree. Marcelle is something else though.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 05:30:37 AM »
I was more or less refering to youth players getting on senior teams or senior national teams.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 08:17:10 AM »
I know exactly what yah saying I used to talk about  a fella call Josh Belgrave this guy is good but his head get big and he stop training and school so he fall of the raider now he’s a star in St Ann’s and that’s it this guy had a trial with Porto at age 10 but his mom felt he was to young but maybe if he had gone to Portugal he would off gotten the right training to be a professional 

Bally is dis  Josimar Belgrave yuh talkin bout? jus curious.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 09:40:39 AM »
yes

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 11:46:44 AM »
yes

Sorry to hear dat man. ah remember yuh used to talk about his potential alot. hope he could jus get his life in order now.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 05:30:03 PM »
Freddie is being to pushed too fast into a situation that is designed to benefit only the MSL.  If they are not careful he may turn out to be an average player in the next two or three years.  He should of taken the opportunity to go to Europe when it was available, he would have been playing in the reserve league for the next two years and would have been well developed by 17 to enter the full league.  The MSL needed a Hero.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »

I doh get why Landon Donovon run back to MLS.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 06:05:34 PM »

cuz he snake it up in germany....

de last game leverkusen play in the Champions League, they say never a worse game was played by anyone... two different sources to boot... on de other hand Beasley doing ok over dey
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 09:04:49 PM »
LANDUMB LIKE THE SLOW BORING PACE OF MLS HE RECOGNIZE IT GO BE TO MUCH THINKIN IN EVEN SECOND DEVISION EUROPEAN FOOTBALL FOR HIM TO HANDLE
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 06:26:19 AM »

WC qualifications going on, and he needs to be playing regularly.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Freddy Adu
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 05:30:17 PM »
I watched Freddy play in the youth championship today and have seen him in MLS games.
The youngster clearly has skill and is very good for his age. But I think he is just overrated since the US is searhcing for a "Soccer" hero to fit into their marketing machine.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What y'all think of Freddy Adu
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 06:15:16 PM »
Too early to tell.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »
What you mean by overated the mls i will say level above our own pro league.How much 16 years old in trinidad can play at the level freddy adu is playing.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 06:33:23 PM »
How many from Canada can? ::)

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 06:43:11 PM »
In my opinion I find it hard to call Adu overrated when he is still a boy playing among men. He holds his own against others. Even if he looks ordinary against the other MLS players...that says a lot about his skills and ability.

Now is the US trying to make him out to be a superstar. YES
Should they....YES.
They should be applauded for that....if only T&T had the foresight to mold young players to be that "star" it would do well for many in the PFL and school leagues. Look at when Jones start playing for the National Team.

The coaches in T&T prefer to bring back fellas like Dwarika and Rougier (no offense to either player) and others who while maybe better than most young players in T&T are NOT going to improve.

A full year with the National Team with the right coach would easily get players like J. Johnson and others to their level and higher.

Yuh think Beasley and Donovan were better than players on the US team when they were first drafted on the National Team....NO but the US prepare for the future well and those players were groomed to be where most of our players aren't because we keep going back to the same "names." over and over.

If Adu continues he would be at "Worst" on the same level as Beasley and Donovan and at Best...who knows ???

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 06:48:27 PM »
One thing is certain, Adu right now is nowhere near as good as Rooney was at 16

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 06:59:23 PM »
yuh want to be smart treutrini and talk carp aye  well dont study who from cananda "can" that talk is about trinidad and tobago dumb azz>:(

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Media Hype
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 09:52:43 PM »
Adu is good player. I think he will be able to play consistently well enough in Champions League eventually. The MLS is using his ability to generate publicity for the league as product and soccer as a sport. The youth is good but I must say that he is overrated.

If you saw the South american U17 qualifying tournament and Saw Brazil and Uruguay play you be saying Adu Who? There is a youth name Kerlon (a few months older than Adu) who is much better than him. That Brazil team of mainly 16 year olds  and even a 15 year old had at least 3 players at a higher level than Adu. I hope he does well.

PS
The MLS is a shit league. Its superior to the local league because of the greater physical intensity. Their players and not better than ours. They have the benefit of much more foreigners, and you know yankie could organise. The Management of their league is much better

1]; } ?>