April 27, 2024, 01:52:03 PM

Author Topic: Freddy Adu Thread  (Read 120273 times)

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adu caps Benfica win
« Reply #480 on: November 26, 2007, 05:45:42 AM »
That is the second powder puff goal i see freedy score.

Take care the CIA paying goal keepers to let them go in.

American interest come first anything is possible.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 26, 2007, 05:50:51 AM »

If that was the case, they would've win the world cup in 94 man...yuh doh think?
you have to admit that was some serious backspin on that ball though
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 26, 2007, 09:44:27 PM »

If that was the case, they would've win the world cup in 94 man...yuh doh think?

Front-spin yuh mean.  De result of de touch on both the keeper and de near-post obviously.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 26, 2007, 09:45:18 PM »

Forward-spin yuh mean.  De result of de touch on both the keeper and de near-post obviously.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 10, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
Zeppo, wha'happen, you on a break this weekend?

The education of an American soccer player, Freddy Adu, continues in Portugal.

“The first thing about being in Europe is that you would not survive at a place like this unless you pay attention to every single detail and work hard every day,” Adu said last week in a telephone interview from Lisbon, where he plays for Benfica. “It is a very competitive environment, and everyone is a good player. No one’s place is guaranteed. You have to come to work every day, and that’s what makes you a better player — constant competition.”

Adu left the relative comfort and security of Real Salt Lake and Major League Soccer in August on a $2 million transfer to Benfica, perhaps the most successful club in Portugal. But he has played sporadically. He became the youngest American to play in the European Champions League on Oct. 24, against visiting Glasgow Celtic. Benfica has been eliminated from the Champions League and is in second place in the Portuguese league.

“It doesn’t matter whether I play 2, 5, 30 or 90 minutes, I’m still going to go out there with the same mentality,” Adu said. “Hopefully I’ll get in the starting 11 sooner rather than later. But right now, I’m happy with my development.”

Adu, who turned 18 in June, said his adjustment to a new country had not been without pitfalls. “At first, I was not sure about it,” he said. “But I realized that I have to grow up sometime. I made the jump to Europe, something I wanted to do, and now I couldn’t be happier.

“I’ve had to grow up out of necessity. I live here by myself. In America, it was like I was in a bubble — everything was there for me. Now it’s just about being a man.”

Adu was with the United States national team recently, starting in a 1-0 victory against South Africa on Nov. 17 in Johannesburg. He said he hoped to remain an integral part of Coach Bob Bradley’s plans for next year’s World Cup qualifying matches and, ultimately, take another trip to South Africa for the 2010 tournament.

“I would be disappointed if I’m not on that team,” he said. “I really, really want to achieve that goal and will do whatever it takes. I’m going to work hard and do whatever Bob asks me to do.”

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 10, 2007, 04:07:32 AM »
Uh oh! I've been slipping!

Thanks for getting my back, asylumseeker!

;)  ;D
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 10, 2007, 04:49:52 AM »
Uh oh! I've been slipping!

Thanks for getting my back, asylumseeker!

;) ;D

Zep, try not to make it a habit.  :-X ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Adu scores twice; U.S. secures Olympic berth
« Reply #487 on: March 20, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »
Adu scores twice; U.S. secures Olympic berthAssociated Press
Updated: March 20, 2008, 10:16 PM EST add this RSS blog email print NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Freddy Adu scored twice on free kicks, and the U.S. Under-23 team earned an Olympic berth Thursday night by beating Canada 3-0 in the CONCACAF qualifying semifinals.

Sacha Klejstan also scored in a victory that gives the Americans their seventh berth in eight Olympics dating to 1980, with 2004 the lone miss in that stretch.

Honduras took the other berth in Beijing in the earlier semifinal in a 0-0 tie decided 6-5 on penalty kicks.

The Canadians missed qualifying for the Olympics again in a drought that stretches to 1984. They earned a spot in the semifinal by beating Guatemala 5-0 last weekend in Group B qualifying, but had trouble generating any offense against the Americans.

The United States, which had allowed only one goal in Group A qualifying, took the first four shots with most of the Americans' offense set up by fouls on Jozy Altidore.

Nikolas Ledgerwood tripped Altidore, and Adu scored on a free kick in the 27th minute for a 1-0 lead.

Goalie Joshua Wagenaar caught the ball on another free kick by Adu in the 42nd minute. But he couldn't stop Adu on another free kick opportunity in the 47th minute when Andrew Hainault was given a yellow card for a collision when he stuck out his leg and collided with Altidore's knee.

Adu's kick cleared a line of defenders and bent away from the goalie into the right corner of the goal for a 2-0 lead. He ran over to the end line and was smothered by his teammates in celebration.

Altidore picked up a yellow card himself in the 66th minute for tripping Dejan Jakovic. But a few seconds later, he gave the U.S. the chance at another goal as he dribbled the ball down the right side and passed to Adu in front of the goal only to see Adu's kick go just wide.

Adu also set up the third goal with a long pass from midfield to Stuart Holden, and he passed over to Kljestan who scored from just in front in the 78th minute.

U.S. coach Peter Nowak substituted in the 76th minute, pulling Altidore for Charlie Davies. Adu, the tournament's leading scorer with four goals, went to the bench himself in the 82nd minute, replaced by Eddie Gaven.

Canada's best scoring chance came on a pass by Will Johnson, who came in with three goals in this tournament, to Andrazes Ornoch. But Ornoch's header didn't come close to the goal in the 68th minute. Tosaint Ricketts got around defender Jonathan Spector only to have Marvell Wynne clear the ball from him near the goal.

The U.S. improved to 4-2-1 against Canada in Olympic qualifying.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Adu scores twice; U.S. secures Olympic berth
« Reply #488 on: March 20, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »
I would have sworn Winnipeg Fury would have been the first to post this result and report on this site.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 20, 2008, 11:32:50 PM »
The 2 games was shite......was not worth the trip. If that is the future of CONCACAF then we in trouble and in no way deserve to have 4 WC spots.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2008, 03:20:24 AM »
The 2 games was shite......was not worth the trip. If that is the future of CONCACAF then we in trouble and in no way deserve to have 4 WC spots.

Elan it seems yuh was dey in the flesh ...

Yuh not going to get fully open play with so much @ stake. I didn't see a lot of negative tactics employed during the Canada v US match and - although I didn't see regulation play or most of extra time - my sense is that the approach was similar during the other semi-final.

Buh doh be so pessimistic, both teams will supplement their squads with 3 senior players and perhaps other personnel and some present contributors won't make the final Olympic squads.

One of the things I thought about during this tourney concerns how hamstrung our effort to make it to Beijing was.  Someone correct me if my recollection is off, but I don't recall a player like Julius James being involved in the process. I remember making the comment in relation to the US college season and player availability. I'm hoping dahis what it boiled down to, and not something more insidious.

When one considers the ability/foresight/communication of the US to be able to secure the services of Johnathan Spector from West Ham for this stage of the tournament it makes some of our logistical handicaps look like self-inflicted wounds.

Looking at individual players, my observation is that there were several eye-catching players and talents that are going to come along the CONCACAF conveyor belt. Whether 4 WC spots or three, improvement seems to be the order of the day. Right now iz 2 Olympic spots and ah really feel the best 2 have come through on all the info available ... Cuba didn't provide a full dossier buh still ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:25:36 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2008, 03:31:08 AM »

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 21, 2008, 03:39:38 AM »
Zeppo 3 - Winnipeg Fury 0

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 21, 2008, 07:10:12 AM »
Adu headlines a dominating team effort

Following the United States' 3-0 semifinal defeat of Canada in the men's Olympic qualifying tournament, Canadian head coach Nick Dasovic was asked what he thought of Freddy Adu's ability on free kicks. He responded with a wry smile, "I hate it!" The Americans love it, however, as Adu tallied twice from set pieces to help them punch their ticket to the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

That Adu donned the hero's cape was nothing new. Ever since the tournament began the Benfica attacker has been the Americans' steadiest and highest performing player. What was different about this match was that almost every one of Adu's teammates performed at a similar level, dominating the Canadians from the outset, and winning the high-stakes match in a walk.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 21, 2008, 08:21:57 AM »
I would have sworn Winnipeg Fury would have been the first to post this result and report on this site.  8)

Peggy only comes around when times are good, for  the semi's de man post about 20 times in one min. Now nothing ???
I know peggy it hurts but this is life, you must be Strong my frozen brother . deep down inside I know that you wish that you were Trini thats why you love to post here. You want to be part of a real football family so all I can say to you is learn the words of Forge from the love of liberty  :salute: and also I am ah Soca Warrior  :wavetowel: and you will feel better.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »
US national soccer team pool is increasingly deep. Many on that Under 23 team seeing decent time on the senior national team

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Should Johnson & Adu have come back to MLS instead of joining Aris ?
« Reply #496 on: January 07, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Counterattack: Should Eddie Johnson and/or Freddy Adu Have Come Back To MLS Instead Of Joining Aris?

The moves of the two Americans is up for debate in the latest "Counterattack."

This week, Fulham and Benfica, respectively, loaned out-of-sorts Americans Eddie Johnson and Freddy Adu to Aris. Each one has earned caps on the United States National Team but have since fallen out of favor.

Johnson and Adu will attempt to find their form at the Greek Club in hopes of making the U.S.'s World Cup roster. Goal.com's Greg Lalas and Noah Davis debate whether the loans were a good move.

Greg Lalas: I say yes and no, if that's allowed here. Adu should've come back; Johnson made a good move.

Noah Davis: I like that they both stayed abroad. Whether it's true or not, returning to MLS looks like they've been defeated by Europe.

Lalas: That's true, it does look that way, but it doesn't mean that's the case.

Here's my thinking on EJ: He needs to play somewhere out of the limelight for a little while, get kicked around in a difficult environment, where he is very far out of his comfort zone. A place where he doesn't speak the local language or his manager's language. He will have to do all his talking with his play.

It reminds me of when he was shipped off to Kansas City by Dallas. That move seemed to ignite him.

Davis: Do they not speak English in Kansas City?

Lalas: Not when their mouths are full of barbecue from Arthur Bryant's.

Davis: It's not as though he found a comfort zone in England, either.

Lalas: In northern Greece, he will have prove himself in a way he's not accustomed to. The league is not glamorous. It's just football. Just a job.

Davis: Playing Devil's advocate -- I agree this is a good move -- but what makes you think he won't crumble under the pressure in Greece?

Lalas: Because there is less pressure. Less pressure to become the next Clint Dempsey. Less pressure to become the next Dwight Yorke. Less pressure to be anything except a soccer player. Score goals, learn the game. And that's why the specific move to Aris is such a good one.

Davis: At 25, he's running out of time to learn the game. And if this league is so rough and tumble as you say, where exactly is he going to learn?

Lalas: In some ways, yes. In some ways, no. I don't think he ever took the time to learn the game when he was younger. He relied on his natural abilities.

It's a rough league, but Aris still tries to play football. They won 3-0 away to Atromitos this week, by the way. It's the most international team in Greece, with loads of South Americans.

Davis: And an Argentine manager.

Lalas: Hector Cuper has lots of experience and lots of sway. He wouldn't say yes to a player -- let alone, an American -- unless he felt like he could use him.

Saying that, Johnson's going to have to be very good to unseat Javier Campora up top.

Basically, I think that Aris, in particular, is a good landing place for him, where he can learn the game from an experienced manager Cuper who knows how to mesh many nationalities in one squad.

And I think the out-of-the-spotlight nature of the Greek League -- though still a decent level -- will relieve some of the pressure he felt after moving to the EPL.

Davis: Fair enough. So we're agreed that Aris is good for Eddie.

Here's why I think it's also a good move for Freddy: He needs two things: 1) Improved skills. 2) A new level of maturity. (And possibly a mute button on that Twitter feed, but we'll get there another time.)

We've established that he can improve his skills at Aris. It's not a stretch to think that the presence of EJ will help him develop into a more mature player as well

Lalas: I think it is. How is Johnson, a guy who needs to mature and learn the game himself, going to help Adu do that?

Davis: Because he's been through this before. He's basically been run out of England.

Lalas: Who was run out of England? Freddy?

Davis: EJ.

Lalas: Not really. He was just deemed surplus goods. Sure, if he were performing better, they wouldn't have shipped him down to Greece, but at the same time, he just didn't fit. And when EJ went on loan last year at Cardiff, he did pretty well.

Davis: And then came back and couldn't find the field.

Lalas: Right. But Freddy hasn't found the field with the mother team or when on loan. Essentially, three teams have now said he doesn't have anything they're interested in.

Davis: But he and EJ should be able to help each other out.

Lalas: Sure, if only because they speak English together. And there's a random Irish teenager on Aris's squad, too.

Davis: They can focus on football.

Lalas: I'm not sure Freddy can focus on the game.

Davis: Well, if he can't focus on it in Greece, he sure as hell won't be able to focus on it in the U.S.

Lalas: I disagree. He's proven before that he can succeed here. In some way, he actually does better when he feels like he's at the center of things. At Benfica, at Monaco, at Belenenses, he was never a focal point for the team.

Davis: But no one in MLS was going to build a team around him.

Lalas: When the spotlight is on him, he performs. It's why he always seems to do well for the youth national teams.

No one will do build a team around him, true. But the (uninformed) public still know him and think he's something. You know as well as I do that non-soccer geeks ask about him all the time.

Davis: Well, a lot of soccer geeks still think he deserves a chance on the National Team.

I see what you're saying about focus, but I think returning to the U.S. would shatter whatever confidence he has left.

Lalas: If his confidence isn't shattered already by his lack of playing time and his continual jettisoning, then the kid is even more oblivious and self-absorbed than we all imagined.

I think at team like Dallas or, even better, Philly, he'd do great. Yes, I said Philly, because no one got Freddy to play better than Peter Nowak. Not that Nowak would choose to go through the circus again.

Davis: How would the Sons of Ben feel?

Lalas: The SOBs might have an issue with it. But imagine if Peter Nowak took him by the scruff of the neck and got him playing the way we all believe he can.

Davis: Well, now we'll never have that chance.

Lalas: Seriously, I think I'm going to start a Freddy-to-Philly campaign.

Davis: You're a couple weeks too late. He's already in a fine spot in Greece. (But it would be fun.)

Lalas: True. Maybe Cuper can play the Nowak role. Personally, I hope so, because I still believe Adu has the natural talent to be very good. Now he needs to stop twittering and just play.

Counterattack runs every Thursday on Goal.com.

SOURCE: GOAL.COM
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should Johnson & Adu have come back to MLS instead of joining Aris ?
« Reply #497 on: January 07, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
yuh post ah interview with La Ass? the middle L in his name should be silent something he doesn't know how to do.....

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:46 AM »
yuh post ah interview with La Ass? the middle L in his name should be silent something he doesn't know how to do.....

At least Lalas big up Yorke in the article...

I remember he was the man who man marked Yorke out of the game in Virginia.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »
freddy reach greece to a hero welcome.

wha they woulda do if it was a world cup harden soca warrior or darius vassell?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wI7mX5hL6T8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wI7mX5hL6T8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nXCtsxzXBKg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nXCtsxzXBKg</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:47 AM »

I was at that game.
The only ppl shutting down T&t was T&T them men look cold and uninterested.
I see a youth from South Africa run rings around Alexi until he chop the man down. He is a s***snake
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 08, 2010, 11:49:25 AM »

I remember that game well..Yorke didn't want to play because there was insurance coverage issues with the TTFF so he virtually took himself out of the game....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 08, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
I was at that game.
I see a youth from South Africa run rings around Alexi until he chop the man down. He is a s***snake

You ain't never lie... Lalas is one overrated shithong know-nothing.  Only way he ever mark Yorke out of any game was to hack him and grab him into frustration.  Real caveman tactics that were usually rewarded by the equally shithong Central American officials that invariably ended up working our games.

-----------------------

Separately... I happy to see Freddy get that kinda reception.  If he feel he was struggling to learn Portuguese before, lol...

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
waay boy, freddy real small...man looking like a lil boy oui

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 08, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »

I was at that game.

Some people are blinded by hate. You sure you see Greg Lalas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Lalas in that game
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:44:57 PM by Lightning »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 08, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »
Some people are blinded by hate. You sure you see Greg Lalas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Lalas in that game

Man see Lalas an gone off, up to now dem eh even watch de fus name to kno is Alexi dat contributing to the article :rotfl:

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
waay boy, freddy real small...man looking like a lil boy oui

us soccer have him listed as 5' 8" and 140.

dem greeks must be real tall.

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/US-Men/Player-Pool/2009-Player-Pool.aspx

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 08, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »

How are "people" blinded by hate... the comments are directed at Alexi Lalas.  "Blinded by hate" implies an irrational hate... there is nothing irrational about the comments directed at Alexi Lalas... unless you care to argue otherwise.

Admittedly I didn't pay close enough attention to who the speaker was... I took one look at the Lalas name and that it was a Goal.com article and dismissed it without wasting my time reading it.  That's not blind hate that's the odds against reading anything worthwhile from Goal.com or Alexi Lalas working against them.

Man see Lalas an gone off, up to now dem eh even watch de fus name to kno is Alexi dat contributing to the article :rotfl:

Killa youself off yuh meds or what... yuh think is really "Greg" Lalas men talking about?  Greg Lalas never defended Yorke.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »

I was at that game.

I was referring to the quoted post, not the article.
Sando say Lalas shut down Yorke in a game in Virginia. The only Lalas he could be referring to is the red-headed goat Alexi. A man who was playing a friendly vs U23s and went in hard with studs showing.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 08, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »

How are "people" blinded by hate... the comments are directed at Alexi Lalas.  "Blinded by hate" implies an irrational hate... there is nothing irrational about the comments directed at Alexi Lalas... unless you care to argue otherwise.

Admittedly I didn't pay close enough attention to who the speaker was... I took one look at the Lalas name and that it was a Goal.com article and dismissed it without wasting my time reading it.  That's not blind hate that's the odds against reading anything worthwhile from Goal.com or Alexi Lalas working against them.

Killa youself off yuh meds or what... yuh think is really "Greg" Lalas men talking about?  Greg Lalas never defended Yorke.

Actually I am blinded by hate. When I see that red head fool I does froth at the mouth.  He, Jack and Charlie Weis does make me get so. ;D

1]; } ?>