April 27, 2024, 05:55:20 PM

Author Topic: Freddy Adu Thread  (Read 120282 times)

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should Johnson & Adu have come back to MLS instead of joining Aris ?
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2010, 03:33:17 PM »
Some people are blinded by hate. You sure you see Greg Lalas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Lalas in that game

How are "people" blinded by hate... the comments are directed at Alexi Lalas.  "Blinded by hate" implies an irrational hate... there is nothing irrational about the comments directed at Alexi Lalas... unless you care to argue otherwise.

Admittedly I didn't pay close enough attention to who the speaker was... I took one look at the Lalas name and that it was a Goal.com article and dismissed it without wasting my time reading it.  That's not blind hate that's the odds against reading anything worthwhile from Goal.com or Alexi Lalas working against them.

Man see Lalas an gone off, up to now dem eh even watch de fus name to kno is Alexi dat contributing to the article :rotfl:

Killa youself off yuh meds or what... yuh think is really "Greg" Lalas men talking about?  Greg Lalas never defended Yorke.

Actually I am blinded by hate. When I see that red head fool I does froth at the mouth.  He, Jack and Charlie Weis does make me get so. ;D
The defense rests....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:09:42 PM by Lightning »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 08, 2010, 05:49:37 PM »
Actually I am blinded by hate. When I see that red head fool I does froth at the mouth.  He, Jack and Charlie Weis does make me get so. ;D

Lol@ Charlie Weiss... yeah I never hate on ND so much as when they fire Ty Willingham and made Weiss head coach.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 31, 2010, 10:21:15 AM »

The Freddy to Eddie connection!

EJ scores his first goal for Aris on an assist from Adu.

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 31, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
From another angle:

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 14, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »
Freddy scored the winner for Aris today in their 2-1 victory over Ergotelis.

- Xavi

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 14, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »
Yuh think MLS fans woulda welcome Adu like that if he had returned to the US?  I still maintain that the US don't know how to use Freddy effectively in their set up.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 14, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
Yuh think MLS fans woulda welcome Adu like that if he had returned to the US?  I still maintain that the US don't know how to use Freddy effectively in their set up.
I agree to a point, however, yuh could say that for every team. Why only the US don't know how to use him effectively?
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
Alexi Lalas ::)  loooorrdd have mercy...the BIGGEST, most overrated shytesnake to ever lace up and take the pitch...ask Carlos Wanchope.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »

Adu scores second goal in Greece

Freddy Adu scored his second goal in two games, sending his new club Aris Thessaloniki to the semifinals of the Greek Cup.

Adu scored off a pass from Toni Calvo in the 23rd minute as Aris beat Xanthi 3-0 win Wednesday. Javier Campora and Sergio Koke got the other goals. 

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Inside Report: What went wrong with Freddy Adu?
« Reply #519 on: April 27, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »
Inside Report: What went wrong with Freddy Adu?

<a href="http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/swf/4.1/global/cvp/si_embed.swf?context=embed&amp;videoId=042610.ir_wahl_adu" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/swf/4.1/global/cvp/si_embed.swf?context=embed&amp;videoId=042610.ir_wahl_adu</a>
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:59:20 AM by Tallman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Inside Report: What went wrong with Freddy Adu?
« Reply #520 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
A hard time with tactics and defence ... hmm.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Adu on trial with German club
« Reply #521 on: January 07, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »
Adu on trial with German club
www.breitbart.com

(AFP) - Former youth prodigy Freddy Adu is undergoing trials with German second division side Ingolstadt in a bid to revive his flagging career.

The 21-year-old, Ghana-born midfielder looked headed for stardom when he took US citizenship in 2003 and made his senior debut a year later.

But after spells with DC United and Real Salt Lake he moved to Benfica in Portugal in July, 2007 and he has struggled to make his mark there.

Subsequently he has been on loan to Monaco in France, Belenenses in Portugal and Aris Salonika in Greece, with little success.

Ingolstadt have called him up and will take a decision on whether to keep him on loan until the end of the season during the winter break in Germany.

"We know all about his past and that he has failed to live up to all the expectations that were placed on him when he was 15 and 16 years old," said Ingolstadt manager Benno Mohlmann.

"On the other hand what we need are established players who can help us out at this stage of the season, not players who have a lot of potential."

Ingolstadt, based near Munich, are currently one place from bottom in the second division and facing a battle against relegation.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adu on trial with German club
« Reply #522 on: January 07, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
What a flop this kid has been...

Upside is that he's still only 21. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 07, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »

That is what happens when you read and believe the press, especially uneducated
football press. Then he enters the real football world and realizes that after you make it, that is when the work actually starts. I feel for him, so I hope he can find a place that will nurture his talents.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 07, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »

That is what happens when you read and believe the press, especially uneducated
football press. Then he enters the real football world and realizes that after you make it, that is when the work actually starts. I feel for him, so I hope he can find a place that will nurture his talents.

I still say Novak retarded his career at United.  But the flip side fo that is that maybe Novak was seeing in practice and behind the scenes exactly what playing out now  :-\

giggsy11

Re: Freddy Adu
« Reply #525 on: January 10, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
Adu real age just catch up to him like Kanu.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21:59 PM »
Personally I think this kid has talent ... it has to be something else .. maybe  its his attitude how can he fall so far down and so quickly ... he's much better than that something else is going on.

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 10, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
Alexi Lalas ::)  loooorrdd have mercy...the BIGGEST, most overrated shytesnake to ever lace up and take the pitch...ask Carlos Wanchope.

Ask Dwight Yorke.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 11, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »
 TULLA TULLA TUILLA
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #529 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:51 AM »
what happened with adu is not uncommon. the best performers at age 14/15 aren't always the players to reach the highest level later in their career.

also didn't he start his pro career at dc united? you really expect him to reach the level of youth players who were playing at better clubs, training among better players and being developed by better coaches (probably)?

or maybe his drive/work ethic wasn't high enough to make him one of the worlds best. or maybe it just means that ripping at youth level doesn't translate into being able to rip senior professionals. the possibilities are plenty!

but the fact that he isn't one of the best players in the world now isn't surprising at all when you think about it.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »
what happened with adu is not uncommon. the best performers at age 14/15 aren't always the players to reach the highest level later in their career.

also didn't he start his pro career at dc united? you really expect him to reach the level of youth players who were playing at better clubs, training among better players and being developed by better coaches (probably)?

or maybe his drive/work ethic wasn't high enough to make him one of the worlds best. or maybe it just means that ripping at youth level doesn't translate into being able to rip senior professionals. the possibilities are plenty!

but the fact that he isn't one of the best players in the world now isn't surprising at all when you think about it.

I don't think that people (on this thread) were necessarily expecting him to be one of the best players in the world, but based on his hype, most figured he'd be having a comfortable professional career at a recognized team...as opposed to loaned out consistently and bouncing around in obscurity from team to team...

That said, he's still only 21...there is still a world of opportunity ahead of him if he can find a good run of form. 

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 11, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »

I don't think that people (on this thread) were necessarily expecting him to be one of the best players in the world, but based on his hype, most figured he'd be having a comfortable professional career at a recognized team...as opposed to loaned out consistently and bouncing around in obscurity from team to team...

That said, he's still only 21...there is still a world of opportunity ahead of him if he can find a good run of form. 

He's been playing pro football how long now? 6, 7 years? It doesn't matter what age you start at, the number of seasons your body can take is limited. I bet he will retire by 30, and I think he's already past the "he's got potential" stage of his career.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:42 PM »
He's been playing pro football how long now? 6, 7 years? It doesn't matter what age you start at, the number of seasons your body can take is limited. I bet he will retire by 30, and I think he's already past the "he's got potential" stage of his career.

He might burn out mentally because I get the impression that he faced alot of scrutiny and pressure before he was mature enough for it, but physicaly I don't think that Fredy hasn't been playing that much more, if any more high level football than the rest of his peers- he's just been in the spot light from earlier.  He got some early exposure to the MLS at age 14.... But his appearances at the international senior level, and at the first team level in Europe have been few and far between since he left the U.S.....Messi is only 2 years older than Adu and has probably played more than 2 years worth of serious football more than Adu has if you consider the level, and the different club and int'l competitions...Is Messi destined for retirement before age 30?

His developmental learning curve may have hit a plateau currently, I dunno....but I still think at age 21 as a footballer, you have to assume that his best years are ahead of him..

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #533 on: January 11, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »

i just get the feeling that because at age 14 he was so much better than other 14 year olds, that we tend to expect him to be a top player at an older age. and i really don't think it works like that - that assumes that all other things are equal.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 12, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
i just get the feeling that because at age 14 he was so much better than other 14 year olds, that we tend to expect him to be a top player at an older age. and i really don't think it works like that - that assumes that all other things are equal.

Yeah plus the degree to which people were led to believe that he was so much better than other 14 year olds was inflated by hype...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #535 on: January 12, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »

Yeah plus the degree to which people were led to believe that he was so much better than other 14 year olds was inflated by hype...
I remember watching a South American youth qualification tournament around the time Adu was 14/15. Brazil fielded about 4 15 year olds on an U17 team. I don't recall their names but they all had better technique and tactical awareness than Adu. They were not as fast as him though.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Freddy Adu gets surprise call-up to U.S. men’s soccer team
« Reply #536 on: May 26, 2011, 09:52:54 AM »
Freddy Adu gets surprise call-up to U.S. men’s soccer team

By Steven Goff, Published: May 23
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/united/freddy-adu-gets-surprise-call-up-to-us-mens-soccer-team/2011/05/23/AFhlX59G_story.html

Freddy Adu had faded from the American soccer scene, a one-time prodigy who was failing to fulfill his vast promise while bouncing between clubs across Europe. But over the past four months, while playing for a second-division team in a Turkish provincial capital nestled along a bay on the Black Sea, Adu re-emerged.

On Monday, the former D.C. United midfielder-forward was rewarded for his progress — and remembered for his potential — by being named to the U.S. national team. The Americans will play World Cup champion Spain in a June 4 friendly in Foxborough, Mass., before entering the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the 12-nation championship for North and Central America and the Caribbean.

“It seems like it’s a good opportunity to get him back in with us, where we have a good month together, challenge him and hope that he has continued to grow and mature, and can play a bigger role with the national team,” U.S. Coach Bob Bradley said of Adu, an immigrant from Ghana who grew up in Montgomery County, and amid global fanfare, signed with MLS at age 14.

“It’s an opportunity that has been earned,” Bradley added.

Adu, who turns 22 next week, was among six players with Washington ties to make the 23-man roster. He joined defenders Oguchi Onyewu (Olney) and Clarence Goodson (Springfield), former University of Maryland midfielders Maurice Edu and Robbie Rogers, and ex-United goalkeeper Nick Rimando.

Adu’s inclusion was the biggest surprise. He hadn’t received a U.S. call-up since the 2009 Gold Cup, and despite making progress this year with Turkish club Rizespor, most observers pegged him in the second tier of U.S. candidates.

However, Bradley and his coaching staff have been watching Adu’s matches online— they weren’t able to see him in person — and came away impressed enough to consider him for selection.

“It’s not that we’ve seen anything specific playing for his new club that shows how he has improved; it’s a package of things,” Bradley said. “We certainly know that at different times he has shown some abilities that are special. He hasn’t always been able to make them count in different situations at different levels.”

In the past, Adu’s attitude and work ethic were called into question, but the move to Rizespor seemed to ground him. His play, albeit in a modest league, has also attracted attention: four goals and multiple assists in 11 appearances.

Rizespor, which is in the city of Rize in northeast Turkey, finished third in the regular season, gaining a place in a playoff for promotion to the prestigious first division. To advance to the final stage, the club will need to win by at least four goals Thursday after losing at Orduspor, 4-0, in Monday’s first leg.

“For Freddy, he made a very conscious decision to go somewhere he would play and have everything be about Freddy the soccer player and nothing else,” said Richard Motzkin, Adu’s agent.

Added Bradley: “We respect the fact that he made this move to go to a smaller club because he had to show people he had to do whatever to keep going. We’re looking forward to seeing how he’s handling things, a maturity, a way that tells us that his experiences along the way have been measured and now he understands all of it needs to come together to move along.”

The U.S. roster also includes World Cup veterans Tim Howard, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan and Jozy Altidore. Training camp opens this week in Cary, N.C.

As expected, United forward Charlie Davies (six goals) was not selected. Seeking to return to the national team for the first time since a 2009 car accident, Davies has yet to regain his international form and is also sidelined with a strained hamstring.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 26, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
USA playing Spain- Who we playing- Well at least Guyana will give us a sweat.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 07, 2013, 05:09:46 PM »
Bahia won't renew Freddy Adu
November 7, 2013
By Alex Labidou | ESPNFC.com

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1609033/bahia-renew-freddy-adu-contract-december?cc=5901

Brazilian league club Bahia said it won't renew the contract of a struggling Freddy Adu in December and Adu's agent, Richard Motzkin, confirmed Thursday Adu's contract is up in December.

"He hasn’t played because we understand that there are other players who are superior to him and he has had so many opportunities," Bahia sporting director Anderson Barros told Lance!Net. "When his contract is ended he can go on with his life. He will be free to procure another club."

The 24-year-old midfielder has seen little playing time with Bahia since moving to Brazil in an April transfer with the Philadelphia Union for Jose Kleberson.

Bahia is Adu's ninth club since he burst onto the soccer scene as a 15-year-old prodigy. He has seen limited playing time with Bahia.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
Whither Freddy?

1]; } ?>