April 26, 2024, 03:14:34 AM

Author Topic: Freddy Adu Thread  (Read 120166 times)

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What y'all think of Freddy Adu
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2005, 06:39:27 AM »
Adu is a very talented player.  However, the decision to have him play in the MLS at such an early age will not serve him well and will ultimately lead to him developing into an average player.  He should have taken the offer to go to italy, or sought one out in England, Spain, or  Holland, where he would have gain experience playing reserve football until 17.  He would have developed into a huge star then.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2005, 07:07:48 AM »
adu is very damn good the man only 16 ,well claim to be never know with them africans. excellent basics and speed ,body must be still developing.  the mls move was a good one to start he get to actually play and not sit on the pine get homesick and come back home-man didn't wanna leave his family i can't knock that.  he should go to europe now or a year at the max.
could he play u-20 cup again or some fifa rule that says no? US know what they doing with their promising youths unlike tt.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2005, 07:09:06 AM »
No one can tell how a young talent will develop. History is full of very talented youth who simply did not make it. While others who were discarded as not good enough came through in the end. Adu is young and talented, he is in a good environment and given the right guidance should blossom. the trick is to be patient with him and not expect him to carry the franchise at 16-17.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2005, 07:27:13 AM »
Adu is a very talented player.  However, the decision to have him play in the MLS at such an early age will not serve him well and will ultimately lead to him developing into an average player.  He should have taken the offer to go to italy, or sought one out in England, Spain, or  Holland, where he would have gain experience playing reserve football until 17.  He would have developed into a huge star then.

NC, I have to agree with you hands down, ADU has great potential but MLS in a way sees him as a cash cow and marketting gimmick. When Rooney was at Everton, David Moyes gradually brought Rooney into the team after playing with the youth team and in the reserves, Cesc Farbregas was the same with Wenger. Exposing Adu to players much his senior I think will hinder his development and the systems employed by European clubs WRT youth players would have assisted Adu's development. Holland, France, Italy and England also have great youth systems at their clubs where they can nurture raw talent (which Adu has an abundance) into world class players.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2005, 07:47:43 AM »
Right now Freddy ent no 16

The Man is 18, but the US cover up the thing good.

Also he good, but he is more hype and marketing than anything else.

MLS keep him as a gimmick to draw crowd.

In Europe and other parts of the world they have better than him.

MlS Stuntin the boy potential.

e.g Look at Fabregas from Arsenal..sign at 16, playing first team at 17 and he rippin the EPL midfield and holding it down for Vieria.

I sure they have plenty of he in France, Spain, Holland, England etc.

Freddy go get exposed just now.............potential that get wasted.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2005, 07:53:40 AM »
Adu should have gone to Europe two years ago.  Full-stop.

The MLS is doing absolutely nothing for him for two reasons:

1 - As a young player 85% of what you learn on the training ground comes from emulation of the more experienced players.  Who is Adu looking up to on DC United?  He would have been far advanced as a player had he been training day in day out with Real Madrid, Man. Utd., Arsenal, or PSV.

2 - The MLS is a shit league.  No other way to say it.  Apart from being at home in Potomac, MD with his family, I see no real advantage to playing in this league.  A few years abroad in the reserves would have been a better standard of football still, especially as being who he is, he would have played fo the club senior team every now and again.

Not overrated really, but he need to get to Europe quickly before he loses more ground.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2005, 07:55:11 AM »
I think Adu is a good player but too much hype by US media.  They always looking for some "star" so they can market him/her, it is all about money.  I don't think Adu will be a great player like Zidane, Ronaldinho, etc.  He will not be able to be in the class of guys like Cesc and Robinho.  He might be the next Landon Donovan(no further than that if he stays in the MLS for a long period of time).

But personally I don't care about how good he becomes.  He is not playing for TnT.  I care about Noray, keon Daniel, Jagdeosingh,Jones,Marvin Phillips,Abu Bakr, etc.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2005, 08:05:39 AM »
the man mother said no stay home stay in high school and apparently in the end he ultimately wanted to be around his family and support group in MD. i 30 and i does find it hard to leave my parents.
he needs to go now for sure not too late

as far as our youths, man talk about losing ground and doing them no good.  Is should be a felony what we doing to we promising youths.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 08:31:37 AM »
Adu should have gone to Europe two years ago.  Full-stop.

The MLS is doing absolutely nothing for him for two reasons:

1 - As a young player 85% of what you learn on the training ground comes from emulation of the more experienced players.  Who is Adu looking up to on DC United?  He would have been far advanced as a player had he been training day in day out with Real Madrid, Man. Utd., Arsenal, or PSV.

No one will deny that but how many players can actually play for those teams. As a matter of fact young players develop better with smaller clubs and then progress to those bigger clubs.

2 - The MLS is a shit league.  No other way to say it.  Apart from being at home in Potomac, MD with his family, I see no real advantage to playing in this league.  A few years abroad in the reserves would have been a better standard of football still, especially as being who he is, he would have played fo the club senior team every now and again.

I disagree that the MLS is a shit league. It is certainly as good as some of the leagues I have seen in Europe (live). Without the top 3 teams in Holland, Belgium, Scotland and Portugal their leagues are very mediocre and some even have poor crowds to show for it. I saw Twenty Enchcede (spelling?) of the Dutch 1st Div. get absolutly hammered in Holland by an MLS Team. Most of te criticism levelled on the MLS is only because it is a US League. Consider this is the same league that producing players that dominating CONCACAF at an International Level.

Not overrated really, but he need to get to Europe quickly before he loses more ground.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 08:36:53 AM by Tallman »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 08:46:44 AM »
Agreed observer,I thinkthis should be adu last season in the mls..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 08:58:39 AM »
same mls that have 5 of our players and did not harm stern john development too much.
not the best but for a league less than 15 years old i'd say they ok.

Offline Sanchez

• Full Warrior
  • Numero Diez por siempre
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 10:00:51 AM »
Personally I think that Freddy Adu has a bright future whether it is in the MLS or another League. You have to remember that the MLS is trying to keep as much players that sell tickets as possible, so I don't blame them for doing as much as possible to keep Freddy on US soil.  The youth has nuff skill and is very trainable at his age, so which ever league he goes to, he will adapt to that league's style.
Keeping him in the MLS will no doubt limit his ability as the MLS does not have the same quality as the other leagues, but the MLS cannot be considered a shit-league.  Remember some of the other leagues have been in existence for nearly a century.  Anyway, the boy's talent will grow with him playing a lot of international matches.  I say give him his props.  Trinidad have players of his age with the same natural skill and caliber, or even better, but the lack of training and exposure is what holds them back.  Hopefully the Trinidad PFL will continue to become better over time and eventually surpass the MLS league's quality.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2005, 10:12:40 AM »
It's amazeing how we all can look at an individual and make delicate decisions as to what direction their future in the game should be,we have to look at life during and after Football,no one knows where one going to end up,i think this kid is good the kind of things he's already doing is something to admire,the level he's playing,the exposure he's getting at his age,how many World Cups he has been too,the resposibility he undertakes,almost every Corner, Freekick and Penalty he takes for that US team,that alone says something about the kid,we can't get away from it sports is big business,once you are playing sport you like merchandise people pay for you,what we not seeing is the kind of money he making already endorsements etc you are as good as people are willing to pay for you.  

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2005, 10:26:38 AM »
Pro league teams have beaten MLS teams in the past. MLS teams have struggled against Trini teams.
Does that mean that the Pro league is better than MLS? That agument is flawed. The MLS as compared to even the Turkish or Serbian league is many levels lower. It is developing well though. The Latin American and Caribbean players make it much better.

If the Pro league could retain the players who go to American colleges and attract the best players from the Caribbean we would be well on course to developing an league. Management is the solution. Americans are not more talented than Caribbean players.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PFL teams vs MLS Teams
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2005, 11:17:28 AM »
Pro league teams have beaten MLS teams in the past. MLS teams have struggled against Trini teams.

The results do not support those statements. As far as I can tell, a PFL team has only beaten an MLS team once. We have scored in only 2 of 7 matches, scoring 7 while conceding 24.

DatePFL TeamMLS TeamVenueResult
March 18, 2005W-ConnectionNY/NJ MetrostarsTrinidad0-1
March 15, 2005San Juan JablotehNY/NJ MetrostarsTrinidad2-3
March 24, 2004San Juan JablotehChicago FireChicago0-4
March 17, 2004San Juan JablotehChicago FireTrinidad5-2
March 16, 2002W-ConnectionKansas City WizardsTrinidad0-1
March 3, 2002W-ConnectionKansas City WizardsKansas City0-2
September 28, 1999Joe PublicChicago FireLas Vegas0-2
August 11, 1998Joe PublicDC UnitedWashington, DC0-8
August 12, 1997United PetrotrinDC UnitedWashington, DC0-1
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2005, 11:52:23 AM »
Doh sleep when Tallman around yuh know!   ;D  Yuh statements must be on point.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2005, 12:29:14 PM »
No one is as anti-American as I can be, last night on FSC they were showing the boot that scored 'The shot heard around the world' scored by Paul Caliguiri that propelled the Americans into the 1990 WC. I almost kicked the TV, putting that aside though we have to admit MLS is improving year after year, of course it cannot compete with EPL, La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga but it is a descent and improving league, barring Rangers & Celtic they will beat most MLS teams and outside the big guns in Holland & Portugal the same will apply. We also can learn a lot from the Americans, remember the were the best CONCACAF team last WC and were unlucky to loose against Germany, who eventually made the finals. When it comes to tactics and strategy the Americans have excellent thinkers and can overcome more skilled teams with great individuals. Something T&T must learn. As we on the topic of leagues, I get a lot of Mexican football here and I think it is a very under-rated league, they have real talent in Mexico and exciting and the 4 - 0 thrashing Chivas gave Boca Juniors is a testament to that. 

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2005, 01:05:11 PM »

The results do not support those statements. As far as I can tell, a PFL team has only beaten an MLS team once. We have scored in only 2 of 7 matches, scoring 7 while conceding 24.

DatePFL TeamMLS TeamVenueResult
March 18, 2005W-ConnectionNY/NJ MetrostarsTrinidad0-1
March 15, 2005San Juan JablotehNY/NJ MetrostarsTrinidad2-3
March 24, 2004San Juan JablotehChicago FireChicago0-4
March 17, 2004San Juan JablotehChicago FireTrinidad5-2
March 16, 2002W-ConnectionKansas City WizardsTrinidad0-1
March 3, 2002W-ConnectionKansas City WizardsKansas City0-2
September 28, 1999Joe PublicChicago FireLas Vegas0-2
August 11, 1998Joe PublicDC UnitedWashington, DC0-8
August 12, 1997United PetrotrinDC UnitedWashington, DC0-1

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllman!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2005, 01:15:10 PM »
I like dat Tallman...man like to talk without facts or wrong facts.  Keep us on our toes.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2005, 02:01:12 PM »
From foxsports.com

ENSCHEDE, Netherlands (AP) - If Freddy Adu is lucky, nobody will remember his appearance at the World Youth Championship. If not, it will be for two missed penalties. Nothing less, and nothing more.

Adu, hyped as a world-class rising talent for the past two years, flies back home with the U.S. team on Wednesday, eliminated by a classy Italy which peaked at the right moment to beat the Americans 3-1 in the second round.

At 16, Adu was the youngest player in the under-20 tournament. But his precocious talent already made him a veteran, and it was supposed to turn him into a leader.

"Freddy Adu is the new Pele," read one banner at his opening game in the championship.

But the so-called new Pele will be trying to pick up his form in Major League Soccer in the United States while other emerging stars like Argentina's Lionel Messi and Spain's Juanfran continue to spearhead their teams to hoped-for under-20 glory.

Adu will also face tough questions, and those commercial endorsements might start to weigh heavier around his neck.

To his credit, he was willing to confront the repercussions of a poor campaign.

"It is a huge disappointment," Adu said after Tuesday's game. "The worst tournament I ever played personally."

U.S. coach Sigi Schmid put it even more bluntly: "I didn't think he showed up today."

Adu did force Tuesday's penalty, but when he stepped up to take it, his attempt was saved. Until the opening tournament game against Argentina, when he also squandered a penalty kick, Adu had never missed a penalty for national teams.

Luckily on Tuesday, the referee ruled Italy goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano was too far off his line and ordered the shot retaken. This time, Schmid made Adu step back and let Hunter Freeman convert.

But after that, Adu and the U.S. team disintegrated in the second half and allowed the Italians through.

Adu admitted he fooled himself into thinking the Italians weren't that good after they qualified only as the lucky third-finishers in their four-team group.

"The guys, including myself, we relaxed a little bit," he said.

"We figured Italy was not going to be as good as they really were. But they were much, much better than that, and they took it to us. That was a bummer on our part," he said.

Adu goes back to MLS chastened in the knowledge that making the World Cup team for Germany next year has turned into a longshot.

"Right now I need a lot of work. I got to go back, work, and hopefully do real well with D.C. United and get my confidence back up," he said.

He also needs add bulk. On Tuesday, he was again the lightest and smallest player on the pitch.

"He needs to step up to the physical nature of the game," Schmid said. "Italy is a physical team and I think it took him out of his game."

Internationally, too, Adu was given more perspective on his development. "He is a good player," said Italy coach Paolo Berrettini. "He can only improve with age.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
I maintain my statement
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2005, 03:10:42 PM »
The MLS is older than the Pro league and even the PFL and better organised. If you look at your stats,you'll see that the goal deficit has decreased with time. They have a much larger pool of players from which to choose. If as some people say MLS teams beat European teams badly what is 1 nil and 3-2 against a Trinidadian club.

The MLS is a shit league. They have very good Goal keepers though. They rush the game and tackle hard and call that soccer. England beat USA 2-1 (USA scored a fluke goal) with a second or third string team.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2005, 03:28:47 PM »
What i can't understand is we can't even get to play any English team much less to be beaten by one.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I maintain my statement
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2005, 03:44:18 PM »
England beat USA 2-1 (USA scored a fluke goal) with a second or third string team.

The US had a mix of MLS and European players in that match.  And the US made it to quarterfinals of the last world cup, beating Portugal and barely losing to runner up Germany with a similar mix.   ???

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I maintain my statement
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »
The MLS is older than the Pro league and even the PFL and better organised. If you look at your stats,you'll see that the goal deficit has decreased with time. They have a much larger pool of players from which to choose. If as some people say MLS teams beat European teams badly what is 1 nil and 3-2 against a Trinidadian club.

The MLS is a shit league. They have very good Goal keepers though. They rush the game and tackle hard and call that soccer. England beat USA 2-1 (USA scored a fluke goal) with a second or third string team.

I cracking up here yes. ;D ;D

Tallman throw the stats that seemed at the time to be indisputable. But in True Trini Fashion a way was found to nullify the facts. Well Yes. Allyuh good we.

T&T sweet oh yes T&T sweet.

Offline Maradona7

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2005, 06:35:32 PM »
freddy adu is shit...plain and simple!!he should get booed for playing for the US.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2005, 07:20:23 PM »
Maradona7 i repeat how much players 16 years old  in trinidad can rub shoulder in  freddy adu.Wait nuh freddy  did not run all over our under 20 players and had them 5-1 at half steeeps.If he was ah trini yuh would ah hear talk
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2005, 07:36:21 PM »
I ent understand why allyuh so concerned bout Adu...he's overated cause they don't have another up and coming star right now...as soon as the new blonde hair blue eyed boy get discovered in a timing...people go say "Freddy who?"
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2005, 09:31:04 PM »
Adu could become an outstanding player if he went to one of the top European leagues and went the youth system of one of the Elite clubs. Remember Inter wanted him real bad. Italy has a very good youth system called the Primavera.

If the US wants him to really become a great player he must leave the MLS. The US National team plays a lot of games and within the las 5 years they've produced flattering results. They are now ranked 10th in the world. While the FIFA ranking is not a 100% accurate method of measuring of the quality of teams It does give You general Idea of the football landscape. Any judgement on the quality of leagues around the world would be subjective but I would venture to say that nobody on this forum would put the MLS in the top 20.In this respect I maintain that the MLS is a shit league. 

The point I'm trying to make is that I think Adu can only reach so far in the MLS. If he is as good as the yanks say he is then he must play at a higher level.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2005, 11:23:51 PM »
e.g Look at Fabregas from Arsenal..sign at 16, playing first team at 17 and he rippin the EPL midfield and holding it down for Vieria.

I sure they have plenty of he in France, Spain, Holland, England etc.

Also Cesc beat Adu for  MVP at last year's  World Youth Cup (I think it was u-16??).

Personally I thin kAdu has potential but needs to move to Europe.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2005, 08:10:27 AM »
Jah Gol where would you rate our Pro League in the top 20 leagues in the World.

1]; } ?>