April 28, 2024, 08:31:31 AM

Author Topic: Freddy Adu Thread  (Read 120322 times)

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adu heads to ManU
« Reply #390 on: December 01, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
I would hold my judgement as to whether Adu could fit in the Man U scheme of things..allyuh remember Giggs, Man U followed him for years before they decided to bring him on board. Giggsy was lil smally back in the day too. The  two scenarios are remarkably similar..I go jus wait and see, the youth have a strong desire to succeed and although he prefers to operate in the center as opposed to the wing, a good left foot is a good left foot, not many good ones around...bless

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Manchester United End Interest in Adu
« Reply #391 on: December 14, 2006, 11:21:11 AM »
Not sure if this was posted...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1970806,00.html

Manchester United have effectively ended their interest in Freddy Adu, the 17-year-old touted as the brightest young footballer in the United States. The club say they will continue to monitor the teenager's progress but there are no plans to offer him a move. This has been made clear to Adu, who swapped clubs yesterday in the Major League Soccer.

Adu, who recently had a two-week trial at Old Trafford, has left DC United to join Real Salt Lake, where the general manager Steve Pastorino said the intention was "to keep him here for several years". Adu will be eligible to join a European club when he turns 18 on June 2, but Sir Alex Ferguson is known to have reservations over the teenager's temperament.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester United End Interest in Adu
« Reply #392 on: December 14, 2006, 12:00:19 PM »
his temperment? steups!!

Alex knows that he could control Adu if he wants to.

He just not good enough yet!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 14, 2006, 12:07:41 PM »
Nooooo!!!!

Im shocked! Shocked!

::)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline trinfax

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 14, 2006, 01:05:55 PM »
This shows his advisors probably made an error in letting him sign for an MLS club instead of going to a youth program in Europe. His development there would have helped him better e.g Lionel Messi..

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 14, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »
This shows his advisors probably made an error in letting him sign for an MLS club instead of going to a youth program in Europe. His development there would have helped him better e.g Lionel Messi..
Yeah.. they were more interested in chasing the money... oh well...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 14, 2006, 02:59:18 PM »
Nooooo!!!!

Im shocked! Shocked!

::)
Man, take a phensic and relax.  Real Madrid and Real Salt lake entering into a partnership.  Freddy go be alright. ;D
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 14, 2006, 03:05:48 PM »
his temperment? steups!!

Big lie.  That cyar be the real issue when yuh have man like Rooney on yuh roster.  Something ain't click.  Adu's agent is ah greedy man.  Instead of allowing the youth to go to a top academy in Europe and bide his time, he sign him to the MLS so he could collect he agant fee.  Dem agents too damn greedy.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 14, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
so if you collecting 1 mill plus @ 14 years you go turn it down? steups....

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 14, 2006, 04:22:01 PM »
his temperment? steups!!

Big lie.  That cyar be the real issue when yuh have man like Rooney on yuh roster.  Something ain't click.  Adu's agent is ah greedy man.  Instead of allowing the youth to go to a top academy in Europe and bide his time, he sign him to the MLS so he could collect he agant fee.  Dem agents too damn greedy.

The temparament issue is not so much if he's a wild man like Rooney. Its more about can he handle being away from home in an environmnet that adult forneigners with proven track records (Shevchenko?) have  a hard enough time adjusting to.  "Talent" isn't everything
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 14, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
ManU can buy whom ever they wish. They do not wish Adu at the moment. Many youths in football at present, as good as or better than Adu and more importantly at a better price.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dotless007

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 14, 2006, 08:09:05 PM »
i sure man utd have some youngsters in the youth system probably will be better than adu

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 14, 2006, 08:11:44 PM »
not sure if Real Salt Lake going and make much of a difference in his career.. D.C United has for the most part been a marketable team in the MLS.

Somehow I get the feeling that Adu would stay in the MLS as a mediocre player throughout his career. Even though he might see about 2 or 3 World Cups with the U.S
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2006, 11:23:47 AM »
I think he gone to RSL so he cud be the star on dat team, where everything going through him. He cyah be the star on DCU cuz Jamie Moreno, Escandarian, and the other latin american star ( no. 10) are the 'big players' on the team.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 15, 2006, 01:16:57 PM »
His advisors may have been ((and continue to be) more concerned about the MLS product than Adu's development!!!

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lazie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 15, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »

Bottom line, Adu is over rated.  Compared to other 17 year olds ... Adu is ordinary.  He is not as good as Walcott, not to mention the young Dos Santos sitting in Barca's reserves.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 15, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

Bottom line, Adu is over rated.  Compared to other 17 year olds ... Adu is ordinary.  He is not as good as Walcott, not to mention the young Dos Santos sitting in Barca's reserves.

Adu fell back in the MLS he may end up like donavon
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 15, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
First to begin Adu going to Real Salt Lake to hook up with his old U17 National Team coach. This may allow him more playing time.

I disagree about Donavon, because he is making big money in LA, more than he would in Germany. At an International level he has been a force for the US squad and one of its most consistent players.
Why go to Germany and be a bit player when you can be a star at home, be comfortable and add some creditability to you home league.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Adu heads U.S. under-20 roster
« Reply #408 on: January 08, 2007, 03:23:23 PM »
Adu heads U.S. under-20 roster

January 8, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- Freddy Adu headed the list of 20 players selected Monday for the U.S. roster in qualifying for the FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Michael Bradley, son of interim U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley, was not made available for the qualifying tournament by his Dutch club, Heerenveen, the U.S. Soccer Federation said. Heerenveen did allow forward Robbie Rogers to take part in qualifiers, which will take place from Jan. 17-21 at Panama City, Panama.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cameras MP3 Players Shoes 
Cell Phones Handbags Laptops

Adu played in the tournament in 2003 and 2005, when it was known as the FIFA World Youth Championship.

Nine of the players selected by under-20 coach Thomas Rongen are professionals, including six from Major League Soccer. Among the pros are forwards Preston Zimmerman of Hamburg in Germany and Johann Smith of Bolton in England.

The Americans gather in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Wednesday, leave Saturday for Panama and play Haiti on Jan. 17, Guatemala on Jan. 19 and Panama on Jan. 21. The top two teams in the group advance to the U-20 World Cup, to be played in Canada from June 30-July 22. Two more teams will qualify when Costa Rica, Jamaica, Mexico and St. Kitts and Nevis compete in the other group, from Feb. 21-25 at Culiacan, Mexico.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brian Perk (UCLA), Chris Seitz (Maryland)

Defenders: Quavas Kirk (L.A. Galaxy), Ofori Sarkodie (Indiana), Nathan Sturgis (Los Angeles Galaxy), Julian Valentin (Wake Forest), Anthony Wallace (South Florida), Tim Ward (Columbus Crew)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Real Salt Lake), Bryan Arguez (West Kendal Optimists), Tony Beltran (UCLA), Amaechi Igwe (Santa Clara), Danny Szetela (Columbus Crew), Jonathan Villanueva (Virginia)

Forwards: Andre Akpan (Harvard), Josmer Altidore (N.Y. Red Bulls), Robbie Rogers (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Johann Smith (Bolton, England), Preston Zimmerman (Hamburg SV, Germany), Sal Zizzo (UCLA).

Defenders: Quavas Kirk (L.A. Galaxy), he was a forward what happen

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adu heads U.S. under-20 roster
« Reply #409 on: January 09, 2007, 08:30:57 AM »
that is a real immigrant side. look at them names.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #410 on: January 09, 2007, 08:37:32 AM »
I thought Adu was a striker.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #411 on: January 09, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
I thought Adu was a striker.

What about Quavas Kirk ? I taught he was one too.... 8)
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Adu Goes to College
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »
Fro Adu steps out from under his brother's shadow

It's rare that Fro Adu has the opportunity to achieve a soccer first in his family. Such is life when one's older brother is one of the biggest stars ever to emerge on the U.S. soccer scene.

"Some people would think I would be jealous and stuff like that, but that's just not the type of people that we are," Adu said of being the younger brother of Freddy Adu. "If he was in my shoes, he would be the exact same way. I know it's because of the way my mom raised us. I'm just happy because it's like, 'Wow, he's doing his thing and I'm his brother.'"

Now, it's Fro's turn to do "his thing." He has committed to play at George Mason University next fall.

"First of all, it's great because I'm going to college," Adu said. "That makes my mom happy because Freddy didn't go to college. He did the soccer thing."

By "doing the soccer thing," Adu was referring to how his older brother became the youngest player to sign an MLS contract when he joined D.C. United at 14.

While playing at the Division I level might not stack up in many people's minds to playing in the pros, it should be noted that Fro Adu is a 15-year-old high school senior.

"I can't even drive next year when I go to college," Adu said. "How messed up is that? My whole high school years I couldn't even drive."

He might not be able to drive, but he can play. His current club coach, Pete Mehlert, has no qualms about his young player's readiness.

"His experience, maybe it rubbed off from Freddy, maybe from the national team and all that, I think bodes well for his readiness for the next level," said Mehlert, coach of the Potomac Cougars U-17 team.

Previously the men's soccer coach at American University, Mehlert knows a thing or two when it comes to determining a player's ability to compete at the collegiate level. A number of coaches from top college programs agreed with Mehlert's assessment. Adu's skills drew interest from schools across the nation, including North Carolina, Wake Forest and Virginia. Proximity to home, the chance to help build the program and the Patriots' coaching staff led Adu to choose Mason -- against Freddy's urging.

"He was always like, 'Fro, go to an ACC school," Adu said. "He's big time. ... But my brother didn't really have a big influence on me. It was all my mom because I honestly was not going to listen to him about college. I was like, 'Don't you tell me about college. You didn't go to college.' But he was happy. It's very close, too, so he can come watch games if he's home."

Adu's current coach is also looking forward to getting a chance to watch him play at Mason.

"George Mason is very lucky to be getting his service as a player," Mehlert said. "He's a born leader. He makes our team play more like a team. He's a two-way player on the field. He helps out on the attack and defends. He organizes his teammates. ... He's more than ready [to play at the next level] because he's physically very gifted."

Mehlert isn't the only person that recognizes Fro Adu's ability. Will Nord, who coaches the FC DELCO U-17 club team out of Eastern Pennsylvania, faces Adu's Cougars at least once a year.

"Fro Adu is a very nice player," Nord said. "His technical skill is solid and he has a good understanding of the game. I have always thought it must be very tough for him to basically be in the shadow of his brother. It looks as if Fro is in a nice situation at Potomac though."

While Fro has spent most of his soccer career having to deal with being "Freddy Adu's younger brother,'' he's been able to escape that when playing on his own team.

"It was never an issue," Mehlert said. "For me as a coach, he's on our team. Freddy is a nonentity. [Having Fro has] been a blessing for our team."

Not that Fro minds being Freddy's little brother.

"All you can do is be happy and just watch him be successful because no matter what, it's going to be like, 'Hey, you're Freddy's brother,'" Fro Adu said. "I'm just like, 'Yeah, I'm Freddy's brother.' It's all positive to me, no negative. I definitely look up to him. That's your brother. He's always going to be your brother regardless."

Of course, when Freddy Adu is one's brother, the thrill of him being Freddy Adu wears off quite quickly. Having a chance to play one-on-one with the young phenom is an opportunity most amateur soccer players would love to have. Growing up, Fro usually took a pass.

"Surprisingly, him and I have never really played together," the younger Adu said. "He was always like, 'Fro, let's go outside,' but I was lazy back in the day."

Of course, at 15, back in the day refers to second grade, Adu clarified. By the end of grammar school, Fro started to buckle down when it came to soccer, in part inspired by his older brother's success.

"I was like, 'You know what? I can see myself doing this in the future,'" Adu recalled. "Which is what I'm doing now."

But Fro Adu credits his work ethic to another family member.

"That mentality came from my mom," he said.

His mother, Emelia, moved her two sons to the United States from Ghana when Freddy was 8 and Fro was 6. She worked double shifts at McDonald's, Target and Home Depot to provide a better life for her children. With Freddy's success as a professional player, their mother no longer needs to work. Fro is looking to contribute in his own way.

"It's like my brother's helping out [financially], and I kind of look at it as, 'OK, Fro, now it's your turn to do something,'" he said. "Being able to see [my mother] see me and be like, 'Both of my sons are doing something really big.' Those are one of the goals and one of the things that drive me to go to college and become better educated and become a better soccer player."

That means a lot to his mother.

"She's very big on education," Fro explained. "That's why we came over here, to get a better life, especially an education. She really couldn't do anything about the Freddy thing because he's a diamond in the rough, but I guess she was kind of looking to me to bring that to the family -- the whole college thing."

It's a role Fro Adu is proud to tackle. Unlike many highly talented players currently entering college, he plans to get his degree.

"I'm not going to say that I'm not going to look at a possibility if anything happens, but right now, I'm focusing on graduating college," he said. "And regardless, even if I left early, I would definitely finish college."

He qualified that by saying it would be a four-year degree, as opposed to the major his mother is hoping he'll pursue.

"She keeps telling me, 'Fro, you've got to be a doctor,'" Adu said. "I'm like, 'Mom, I'm not going to school for eight years.'"

The midfielder is still uncertain what he'll study when he starts school, but he's sure of one thing.

"Honestly, I don't know exactly what I'm going to be," Adu said. "All I know is I'm going to be someone."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=408372&root=ncaa&cc=5901

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adu Goes to College
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2007, 12:39:54 PM »
small man is a genius...college at 15? maybe I didn't read that right. Anyhow..Fredi was on an accelerated program and graduated from high scholl at 14. Not bad

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
He is "15" You know how them Africans does operate? If you see him you would know he is not "15"

Anyways, he is a defensive player...unlike his brother. He plays wing back or defensive mid.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2007, 02:04:09 PM »
But if he is Freddy's younger brother, how old could he be?
Toujour Pret!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2007, 02:08:33 PM »
He is "15" You know how them Africans does operate? If you see him you would know he is not "15"

Anyways, he is a defensive player...unlike his brother. He plays wing back or defensive mid.

Kingman

in case anybody was wondering, this is the prototype of "STEREOTYPING". Anybody who wishes for more lessons on how to do this more efficiently, see Kingman.  :beermug:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 16, 2007, 02:12:21 PM »
Posted on: Today at 03:08:33 PMPosted by: bounty killer 
Insert Quote
Quote from: kingman on Today at 01:44:04 PM

Kingman

in case anybody was wondering, this is the prototype of "STEREOTYPING". Anybody who wishes for more lessons on how to do this more efficiently, see Kingman.   

Nah man, look at the man on that photo they have alongside the story. He look like he wuk ah good few ten days.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 16, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »
yo! i have experience wid dem african and dey lying bout dey age dread, now, not to say that adu and he lil brother lying eh, BUT!! ah know a lil bit bout dem african and dey lying ways
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 16, 2007, 05:16:32 PM »
yo! i have experience wid dem african and dey lying bout dey age dread, now, not to say that adu and he lil brother lying eh, BUT!! ah know a lil bit bout dem african and dey lying ways

cool, well while you at it you could tell everybody bout yuh experiences with dem indian and dey corrupt tiefin ways, or dem chiney and dem stingey ways, dem black people with dey lazy ways, and dem white people ....somebody help me out here....

1]; } ?>