April 25, 2024, 04:44:22 PM

Author Topic: Freddy Adu Thread  (Read 120119 times)

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
Re: freddy adu stats
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2005, 07:48:27 PM »
cuz he "loss" he birth certificate.
16 meh tail.
He is probably 21 already.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2005, 08:33:04 PM »
cuz he "loss" he birth certificate.
16 meh tail.
He is probably 21 already.

you go have to change yuh name or somthing cause when i read it i does cyar stop laughing :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2005, 09:09:17 PM »
Not because you playing like ah big man at 16 mean that when you is really a big man you'll be supernatural.  It have plently players that played ahead of there age but then their age catch up with them and they were regular.

If Freddy that good he shouldn't be playing in a nation that not really interested in football and like a set a propaganda.  He should be out dey getting the serious kinda development......15 yr old for Barcelona then you could talk star talk.........Plus America ent really want no black man being their leading face in soccer.

He could end up sitting on the shelf as a guarantee that nobody else get him...
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Prodigy Adu says no to Ghana, wants US World Cup spot: report
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2005, 03:21:29 PM »
Prodigy Adu says no to Ghana, wants US World Cup spot: report

October 11, 2005
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Freddy Adu, the Ghana-born teen prodigy who became a US citizen in 2003, has no interest in playing for his African homeland in the 2006 World Cup.

Adu was overjoyed to learn Saturday that Ghana had qualified for its first World Cup, but the 16-year-old reserve forward for reigning Major League Soccer champion DC United told the Washington Post he intends to play only for US national teams.

"If they asked me, I would have to say no," Adu said. "I made up my mind to play for the United States some day and I'm sticking to it. I'm very happy. It makes me feel great that Ghana made it. But this is where I play now."

Adu has dual citizenship and would have the option, if approved by FIFA, of playing for Ghana in Germany next year because he is under 21 and has never played for the US senior national squad.

Once Adu played for Ghana, however, he could never play for the US team.

"It's definitely tempting because I want to be at this World Cup so bad," Adu told the Post. "But I am going to stay with the United States."

Adu has a longshot hope of making next year's US World Cup squad, a veteran-laden team looking to improve upon a 2002 quarter-final run, but he would be a strong contender for a 2010 World Cup debut in South Africa.

Adu was born in 1989 and moved to suburban Washington eight years later, playing on the US under-17 team at the 2003 World Championships in Finland.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 01:20:37 PM by Tallman »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Prodigy Adu says no to Ghana, wants US World Cup spot: report
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2005, 03:29:01 PM »
I would be surprised if the US doesn't take Adu along as a non-playing squad memeber or just to train with th eteam and attend matches.

If they plan to build their programm around this youth then they shoudl do it.

It didn't work out badly for other prodigious players like Ronaldo, Ferdinand and Cole who all went on to develop well (for the most part).
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2005, 03:37:54 PM »
Shitsnake
TnT Patriot

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2005, 04:00:04 PM »
We could probably use that "shitsnake" on de left.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2005, 04:50:52 PM »
Dem ent plan to use he boy....!!!!!! they just holding he so nobody else can't get him....THis world cup in donovan own.........And the powers that be would see to that......Adu could end up a sad story....
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2005, 08:33:50 PM »
Shitsnake
Look at Freddy Adu's goal in goals of the week on Fox Sports,it's real class.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2005, 08:38:03 PM »
Freddy is a work in progress pardner. Wait until his body catch up with his brain... Pressure!!!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2005, 08:48:20 PM »
AP should give this reporter a prize for most dotish question for de year.

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2005, 09:55:14 PM »
That goal from Freddy is one of the best individual efforts I have seen for de year by any player in any competition. Dat was some Maradona strokes dat Freddy pull on dem fellas deh starting wid de flick ova de playa head. For a moment I thought I was looking at a new Nike ad. then I realised it was a real match breds.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2005, 05:36:11 AM »
Some Ghanaians will burn his family house down just for spite! Dey don't make joke.

Offline trinibug

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Freddy Boy, go and play for Ghana!
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2005, 07:32:01 AM »
Adu Speaks Of Playing Elsewhere
He Complains Again About Role With United

By Steven Goff
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 19, 2005; E01
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/18/AR2005101800918_pf.html

D.C. United's Freddy Adu had grumbled about his playing time periodically since signing with MLS almost two years ago. But yesterday, during a startling interview session three days before the club's playoff opener, the 16-year-old forward's frustration with Coach Peter Nowak boiled over, and he suggested that he might be better off playing elsewhere next season.

"It's funny because I've been playing so well in practice," he said. "I felt so good at training, but come game time, I'm sitting on the bench. I'm just like, 'Man, it [stinks].' That's the kind of thing that is out of your hands. You can't really do anything about it. It's out of your control. All you can control is you and what you do. It [stinks] that I'm in this situation."

Adu, who attracted worldwide attention by signing with MLS at age 14 before the 2004 season, played in every regular season game for which he was available this year (25) and started most of them (16).

He is tied for fourth on the team in goals with four and is fourth in assists with six. Of the 22 field players who have appeared in a league game for United this year, he ranks ninth in minutes played.

But after scoring a spectacular goal at Salt Lake City on Oct. 5 and starting again three days later against the MetroStars, he came off the bench at the beginning of the second half this past weekend in the regular season finale against Columbus and didn't have much impact.

"I got [MLS] player of the week, and the next week I'm sitting on the bench," Adu said. "I'm like, 'What is going on here?'

"It's frustrating at times when you think you've earned a chance to play on the field and you're over there sitting on the bench. That's not the kind of player I am. I'm the kind of player who wants to be out there on the field and needs to contribute every minute of every game. I'm not saying I should play 90 minutes every single game, but I am saying that I should definitely play a lot more than I've gotten to play."

Told of Adu's comments, Nowak said: "We give everybody a fair chance. We have players who play on the U.S. national team who sometimes don't play on our team. This is not a surprise for anybody; this is what we've been doing for two years.

"He is not playing for me. He is playing for the team and this organization. We're not going to put anyone above the team."

Adu, born in Ghana and raised in Montgomery County after his family immigrated in 1997, is the third highest-paid player in the league with total compensation at $550,000. Endorsement deals have pushed his earnings to more than $1 million per year.

Last season, in which he became the centerpiece of the fledgling league and drew big crowds to almost every United road game, Adu played in all 30 matches. He started 14 times and finished with five goals and three assists. However, after a midseason game in Dallas, he voiced frustration about playing time; he quickly apologized.

Early this season, he again expressed disappointment about his situation -- but not with as much intensity as yesterday's remarks.

United President Kevin Payne said he fully supports Nowak and the way the second-year coach has handled the club's young star.

"The issue with Freddy is that he's on a good team and he's competing for playing time with very good players," Payne said. "There are not enough starting positions to go around. I don't think his situation would be any different if he were playing for one of his dream clubs like Chelsea or Manchester United. They happen to have some good players, too."

Adu's ambition is to play for a major European club, but international rules forbid him from signing a contract overseas until he turns 18 (in June 2007). However, he said yesterday that he has thought about playing for another MLS team.

"It becomes very, very, very, very tempting to look ahead and, as a matter of fact, I'm doing that right now," he said. "I always have to make the best decision for myself first, and I'm just looking into things right now. . . . I've been in this league for two years and it's just been the same. I love the guys on this team. I don't want to leave. I'm not saying I am going to leave -- I'm not -- but you always have to look ahead and see what the best situation is for yourself first."

Asked about her son's comments, Emelia Adu said: "He couldn't hold back any longer. It's been hard for him. The family doesn't want to rush into anything, so we're waiting until the end of the season and we'll talk to the agents. They're working on it. Freddy told me he can't be in this situation another season."

Richard Motzkin, Adu's Los Angeles-based agent, did not return phone calls.

Adu also believes his hopes of making the 2006 U.S. World Cup squad have been jeopardized by his situation with United.

"That has definitely killed my chances," he said. U.S. Coach Bruce Arena "has said it a million times -- that he's not going to bring anybody in that's not playing regularly for his club team. I'm screwed in that sense, I'm definitely screwed. That was definitely a goal of mine, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen now, does it?"
© 2005 The Washington Post Company
Must rhyme with an O

Offline trinibug

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Boy, go and play for Ghana!
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2005, 07:33:42 AM »
You see how the youths is? The man can't make DC team, but want to play for Chelsea and Man United.
He have to watch the tapes of his games and see that Nowak doing him a favour. He good eh, but he begninng to believe the hype.
Must rhyme with an O

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2005, 07:52:34 AM »
You see how the youths is? The man can't make DC team, but want to play for Chelsea and Man United.
He have to watch the tapes of his games and see that Nowak doing him a favour. He good eh, but he begninng to believe the hype.
This kid is right in his views,Soccer in the US stinks, it's big time politics and race you have to deal with,that league makes big money with that kid and that's all they care about,nobody used to go and see DC Utd play until Freddy came on board,if you want to know what goes on here talk to Lincoln it's pressure once you black.

Offline trinibug

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2005, 07:57:49 AM »
Dude, I will have to disagree with you there.
1. DC consistently is at the top of the league in attendance since long before freddy.
2. Freddy wasn't physically ready to play with the big boys, in fact he didn't do that well in the u21 world cup.
3. If Freddy vex now because he have to come off the bench, what he go do if a man like Sir Alex start to mess with him?
Must rhyme with an O

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2005, 08:17:15 AM »
I agree that the youth could play, but that DC team is hard for him  to start regularly, he is too inconsistent.. He had a horrible U20 tournament and from watching some of those U17 stars the other day..I find they better than him too...maybe because of the fact that he is playing in MLS ..Freddy should go England TODAY..and play in the Reserves league for a yr or 2 and then...he might be a force....MLS just milkin him! 

As far as international play...he should consider Ghana.. no way he making the 06 US team...what he smokin...even if he was starting for DC ..
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2005, 08:30:06 AM »
Thought they said have to wait till 18 to make the european move less complicated. Less red tape or whatever.  Maybe wrong.

The youth man frustrated ain't the 1st and last time that happen, plenty men vex when they warming bench.  he a competitive youth and want to play.  He had a good week, scored thought he should have start.

and yeah DC and MLS make good money off the man, they paying him good, but they making way more then before he come around.

Just another learning experience for freddy.  But to heck with freddy and the other US youths-what are our youths doing where are our young stars. 

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2005, 08:30:48 AM »
Yeah Coop's ah have to disagree with you also. DC has a loyal fan base and has been tops in attendance since the inception of the MLS. 4 titles in 10 years is not that shabby.
I agree with the fact that the league is using Freddy as a pure marketing ploy, but as far as him playing on the field, there is no race or politics involved.
He is a good player, but I am starting to believe that the people around him are starting to blow up his ego.
First of all, he struggled at an u-20 tournament and now he actually believes that he would have made the US senior team.
He is on a competitive, winning team where starting spots are contested and not a given. He is 16 and still has time to grow. The coach is a proven winner and he has Freddy's best interest in mind.
Eddie Johnson was in a similar situation and after a few years of paying his dues, he is one the best players in the MLS, 2nd highest paid player and he is also on the senior national team. (he is also black) ;D. Freddy's time will come he just needs to relax, pay his dues and he will be sucessful. Respect

This kid is right in his views,Soccer in the US stinks, it's big time politics and race you have to deal with,that league makes big money with that kid and that's all they care about,nobody used to go and see DC Utd play until Freddy came on board,if you want to know what goes on here talk to Lincoln it's pressure once you black.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2005, 08:35:18 AM »
Points well taken,but i will still say he is the reason ppl come out to see DC Utd,he is marketed more than any other player on the team but he is not good enough and you benching him,i agree with him to go somewhere else,you can't improve on any bench. 

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2005, 08:48:04 AM »
Let Freddy cool his little ass. He is good no doubt but he is still too young and has a lot to learn, Maturity for starters.

I once again blame the American media for hyping him up to be this celebrity and now his head is too big to see the bigger picture.

Do you really think he would be a starting player for any of the big European clubs HELL NO!
He has the touch no doubt but he does hold the ball too long and get the wind knocked out of him from a tackle when he could have played it off. When United played against Chelsea over the summer, he was an eager beaver coming off the bench, but could not get past their defenders not even once.

With time he would be great but not for another 5 yrs...

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2005, 08:55:09 AM »
 Freddy Adu is right..He would want to be at Manchester or Chelsea but he can't go...I sure if he was at a big team like Man U or Chelsea and Sir Alex or Mourinho had him on the bench, and bringing him on he would not be angry because if, when does get to play he plays well ppl will recognize him(in Europe). But in a MLS team... and he on the bench still ?and he could start..That go hurt him because he knows that no one cares what you win in America, and yuh doh attain no Greatness in America (although USA is beginning to embrace football)..He have a right to be vex..I sure he make plenty money for DC since he go there..

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2005, 09:01:48 AM »
Let Freddy cool his little ass. He is good no doubt but he is still too young and has a lot to learn, Maturity for starters.

I once again blame the American media for hyping him up to be this celebrity and now his head is too big to see the bigger picture.

Do you really think he would be a starting player for any of the big European clubs HELL NO!
He has the touch no doubt but he does hold the ball too long and get the wind knocked out of him from a tackle when he could have played it off. When United played against Chelsea over the summer, he was an eager beaver coming off the bench, but could not get past their defenders not even once.

With time he would be great but not for another 5 yrs...
All i'm saying is sitting on a bench will not help him,when will he get the chance to do the things you stated,we had guys like Marcelle,Anton etc that got opportunities at very young ages and no one asked the questions we ask today,no one knows where any one can play or will end up,even the great Yorke will struggle to make a division 1 EPL team and we all know why (one is Race).

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2005, 09:12:54 AM »
The US and NIKE on a whole are just marketing machines. Hence Freddy is being pushed as the next best thing. Yes he is being marketed more than any other player,but he is not the best player on his team. One example of this that comes to mind is Beckham at Real. He is the most marketed player, but he is not the best player on his own team.
Freddy practices, plays in the reserve league and also has started for DC. The coach is seeing him everyday in practice, he knows how the player is developing.
Freddy can go to another team like Chivas,  play 90 mins every game and loose. Will this improve his development or will it be better for him to play for a championship team, compete with good players in practice,  be brought along slowly and eventually he will be a sucessful pro. Even if he goes to Europe he will be in the same predicament. I think he believes that is much better than he actually is.

Points well taken,but i will still say he is the reason ppl come out to see DC Utd,he is marketed more than any other player on the team but he is not good enough and you benching him,i agree with him to go somewhere else,you can't improve on any bench. 
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Frustrated Adu hints at leaving United
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2005, 09:16:55 AM »
Frustrated Adu hints at leaving United

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Freddy Adu vented his frustration over lack of playing time Tuesday, saying it has wrecked his chances of making the U.S. World Cup team and has him thinking about leaving D.C. United.

United coach Peter Nowak fired back, saying tersely that the 16-year-old Adu has had his chances to play and that "nobody is going to be above this team."

The tension between disciplinarian coach and teenage player resurfaced as United prepared to open the MLS playoffs Friday night at Chicago. Adu was particularly upset he didn't start the regular-season finale Saturday against Columbus, one week after winning league honors for player of the week and goal of the week for a highlight-reel score against Real Salt Lake.

"I got player of the week that week, and the next week I'm sitting on the bench," Adu said. "And I'm just like, 'What is going on here?' It's one of those things where you don't understand what's going on, but you've got to swallow your pride and be a team player."

Nowak pointed out that Adu played the second half of the Columbus game.

"If he wants to score a goal, he would score it in the second half against Columbus. ... This is about the team, and always was," Nowak said. "And I don't care who's going to be there - because nobody is going to be above this team. This is our principle from the beginning."

The Ghanian-born Adu entered the league last year amid much hype at age 14, the youngest and highest-paid player in MLS history - with a goal of representing his new country in the World Cup in 2006.

But Nowak isn't about to showcase a budding phenom unless it means winning more games. Adu voiced his frustration over playing time several times last year, even though he started 14 of 30 games and scored five goals with three assists - while Nowak took United to its fourth MLS title.

Photo Gallery...
Freddy Adu: From prodigy to pro

This year, Adu has started 16 of 25 games - he missed some games with a knee injury and while he was away at the World Youth Championship. He has four goals and six assists and has to vie for playing time on a deep roster that includes forwards and midfielders Christian Gomez, Dema Kovalenko, Jaime Moreno, Ben Olsen, Santino Quaranta and emerging scorer Jamil Walker.

"It's hard to find minutes on the field," Adu said. "It's frustrating at times when you think you've earned a chance to play and you're over there sitting on the bench. That's not the kind of player I am. I'm the kind of player who wants to be out there. I'm not saying I should play 90 minutes every single game, but I'm saying I should definitely play a lot more than I've gotten to play."

Thus, on the brink of the MLS playoffs, Adu is already thinking about next year.

"It becomes very, very, very, very tempting to look ahead, and as a matter of fact I am doing that right now," Adu said. "I always have to make the best decision for myself first, and, you know, I'm just looking into things right now, so we'll see what happens at the end of this season and we'll see where my family and myself are headed."

Adu's goal always has been to play for a top club team in Europe, but the sport's complicated rules essentially prevent such a move until he is 18. If he's not with United next season, he would likely be playing with another MLS team.

Team president Kevin Payne said he "absolutely" expects Adu back next season.

"Our position is unchanged," Payne said. "I think one of the things that Freddy and the people around him need to understand is that, when it comes to playing time, Freddy is on a very good team. ... I'm not sure how this would be any different if Freddy were with Chelsea or Manchester United. They've got some pretty good players."

Adu's frustration is compounded by his desire to play in the 2006 World Cup in Germany. With every minute on the bench, Adu sees his chances to impress U.S. coach Bruce Arena slipping away.

"That's definitely killed my chances," Adu said. "Bruce has said it a million times that he's not going to bring anybody in that's not playing regularly for his club team."

Adu wouldn't have been a lock for the U.S. team, anyway. Nowak, Payne and Adu's teammates all make the same point: The kid shows flashes of talent, but it's not there all the time.

"He's still young," goalkeeper Nick Rimando said. "Sometimes you see him do so well in games and turn games around - and the next time you see him not do as well. You know what the kid has and what he can bring, and I think sometimes the coaches might get frustrated with that. I think he gets frustrated himself."

Offline trinibug

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2005, 09:30:56 AM »
I like Freddy eh, the man have potential. But we all know he not ready for prime time. Plus, you know when Pele call you the next pele, that is the kiss of death.

Freddy need to earn a regular start in DC, then eh could start talking about moving up. Stern Start off in the MLS scoring 26 goals in 27 games, and buss in the EPL. (the injury had a lot to do with it though) Freddy? 5 goals. I still think he is a (kinda lazy) midfielder, but they hyping you as a forward, then you have to score.

become top-scorer in the league, then yuh will never scrub the bench and Sam Allerdyce might give you a call.
Must rhyme with an O

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2005, 09:42:02 AM »
Freddy just have to cool it.

He have skill yes, but he is overhyped by the media.

I also think the media and fans does put pressure on Nowak for him to play Freddy.

Nowak must be fed up and doing what good for the team.

Also Freddy shoulda ride and go Europe. Mls stunt him and as he gettin older we seeing how his potential is being wasted.

At 16 he is nowhere as good as Owen, Rooney, Fabregas, Ronaldo......both of them. Kaka, Diego, robinho  etc were at that age.

He will pan out to be Fluff and U.S hype in the next few years..........something like a Donovan.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2005, 09:46:53 AM »
people come to see Freddy maybe....but before Freddy came DC has always have a strong following....go back to the days in Moreno's first stint, Marco, Joh Harkes, and de oddah Spanish fella....very good crowds.

Freddy eh tinkin bout no Ghana...he tinkin US...he even say dat in the interview. If he doh play for DC it will lessen his chances of makin the US team for next year.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2005, 10:12:25 AM »
people come to see Freddy maybe....but before Freddy came DC has always have a strong following....go back to the days in Moreno's first stint, Marco, Joh Harkes, and de oddah Spanish fella....very good crowds.

Freddy eh tinkin bout no Ghana...he tinkin US...he even say dat in the interview. If he doh play for DC it will lessen his chances of makin the US team for next year.
I live in Northern Va,it is true there were a time when DC was it but that died and it's Freddy's image that brought this team back to life wheather he plays or not,i've been to a couple games and the Coach is under pressure to play him because that is what the ppl come to see(it's America)they don't care about Football they care about money,Donavan and all these guys in the same situation. 

1]; } ?>