June 20, 2024, 03:15:59 PM

Author Topic: playing fuh Mother CoUNTry  (Read 2588 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
playing fuh Mother CoUNTry
« on: May 12, 2005, 09:53:37 PM »
I wonder if this latest trend to track down nationals with 'trini blood' is not a sign of desperation. It is often heard that desperate times call for desperate measures.

However I wonder about the impact on the local player development.
The former coach stated publically that he had little faith in the local pros. Yet  with basically with a local squad he was able to win one game aganist less than power house Barbados and we are in the Gold Cup. Our present coach, elected the best of the local pros and was not successful in getting a positive result.

With wanning interest from some of our foreign based players, it appears that  by seeking  to find players with  links to our country is an act of deperation. I am for getting the best talent and fielding the best squad that will giv us a chance to be in Germany but I am also perplexed by the lack of effort and motivation by some of the locally based players.
Maybe  there is a feeling that they do not have a fair chance of making the final cut once the foreign players arrive and that they are just training camp fodder.

How could players be made to feel that they indeed will be given an equal opportunty to represent their CoUNTry if the TTFF go out on scouting missions and invite people who hav never been on the soil to represent when ther are those who have been toiling  just to play for  the home land?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 10:17:21 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: playing fuh Mother CoUNTry
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 10:26:34 PM »
Alberta,
The T&T Fooball Programme has in the past been ill equipped to develop quality players.  (As our competitors in the region have done).  The foreign based payers, because of their talent have been afforded the opportunity to further learn the game abroad, at club teams whose staff and facilities are more sufficient.  Case in point, the article posted on this very forum, wherein Shaka Hislop mentions not having a goalkeeping coach, until he went to England where in his own world he played "catch up".

The locally based players may very well be doing their best (?).  But compared to Mexico, Costa Rica, USA (who have overtaken us in the last 20 years), our players aren't as "educated".  Why do you think we consistently lose at youth level?

Steps are being taken however, and there maybe hope in the future.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 11:16:26 PM »
But Jamaica do it already and it paid off.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:51:52 AM »
Why are we always trying to follow somebody,not because that worked for Jamaica it will work for us,Jamaicans normally have a different mentality to us there is no comparison,we have our own identity so a lot of things people are doing elswhere will not work here,this game is trial and error,hit or miss,if what you do works it's the right thing if it does not you have failed,this is what every Coach goes through,i just wish Leo the best.   

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 11:33:37 AM »
What's all the panic about ???

Sorry fella's...but I don't get it.  Yes, we are looking for people with T&T blood but we have always done this, just not to the extent of Jamaica or the Rep of Ireland. Like you Men forget Tony Warner during the Strike squad days (never played in the end), or Mauge, Austin, Cox etc.  Most have fallen by the wayside...look the recent fella's, Shakes and Birchill were and are just being LOOKED at, they not GUARANTEED a place in the starting lineup. Have we seen anything from Shakes since his brief appearance in T&T.  Sorry yuh got to have more proof than that tuh start calling a few inquires into player eligibility ah TREND

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 06:56:08 AM »
Rodney ,Philosophically there is nothing morally or ethically wrong with seeking players of high calibre, who are eligible  to represent TNT. I just humbly believe that our local players must  have some more incentives, hope and  opportunities to fulfill their dreams as well.

Given that they are not the benefactors of playing on  high price football teams and not receiving the kind of coaching and training that a foriegn professional would receive, it is encumbent that we  do more to support the local efforts and provide opportunities for these local players to prove their worth and to fulfill thier dreams.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 09:29:25 AM »
But Jamaica do it already and it paid off.

It paid off but for how long. One WC appearance is not the be all and end all. I dont' want T&T to end up where all the eggs in the foreign based basket and yes we qualify but after that we start ketching we ass. After a top Flight WC appearance if i was still a professional ( not any more because of bad tackle) is only one appearance i want then is back to my club to make money. I retiring from internationl football.

Look at Jamaica now the majority of the foreign based not there anymore.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

1]; } ?>