March 29, 2024, 02:23:25 AM

Author Topic: Name all Trinbagoians from A to Z, famous or not !!!  (Read 104049 times)

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Name all Trinbagoians from A to Z, famous or not !!!
« Reply #300 on: April 05, 2015, 09:47:16 AM »
http://blog.f1rst.com/exp/ten-times-trinidadians-were-on-wikipedia-and-it-was-weird/

Ten Times Trinidadians Were on Wikipedia, and it was Weird

The assumption is that you have to be famous to have a wikipedia, but that’s only kind of true. Often, Wikipedians are famous within a niche, as we will now prove: ...

http://blog.f1rst.com/exp/ten-times-trinidadians-were-on-wikipedia-and-it-was-weird/

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Ronda Jean Rousey (Trini blood)

http://ethnicelebs.com/ronda-rousey

;D

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
I eh blame yuh flex  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »
MF Doom is half-trini. dayum. a taste ....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7IXsNeIK-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o7IXsNeIK-o</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 22, 2015, 11:53:21 PM »
Ronda Jean Rousey (Trini blood)

http://ethnicelebs.com/ronda-rousey

;D

Here's the story of her great-grandfather...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/x2TtFP3h9_Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/x2TtFP3h9_Y</a>

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 23, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
richard nurse - former CFL footballer and father of darnell nurse, defencemen for the edmonton oilers, member of canada's gold-medal-winning junior hockey team

I knew his sister (Richard's) Raquel Nurse who's married to married Donovan Mc Nabb. The Nurse family is well known in Hamilton and very sporting. Darnell's sister Kia Nurse is/was guard with the Huskies (UConn).

Raquel played basketball for T&T when she was at Syracuse. She played on a real good team with Sharon Castanada, Hazel Taylor and Muriel Mitchell. 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2017, 02:07:37 AM »
Ronda Rousey family mulls reality show in T&T
STEPHON NICHOLAS (NEWSDAY)
Friday, March 17 2017

AnnMaria De Mars, the mother of world renowned MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fighter Ronda Rousey, is in Trinidad as she traces her roots and visits relatives in this country. De Mars’ grandfather, Dr Alfred E Waddell, was born in Trinidad but left this country for New York in 1923 where he became a physician.

It is Demars’ first time in Trinidad and she has been meeting her relatives here and sharing stories about their ancestors.

Speaking to Newsday yesterday at an event in Long Circular Mall, organised by Jason Fraser, head of TT Sambo and Combat Sports Federation, De Mars said she has been on the phone with Rousey telling her about this country and is keen for her famous daughter to see Trinidad and meet her family here.

De Mars, the first American to win a World judo gold medal in 1984, said her family is currently in negotiations with a company seeking to do a reality show and said she will be pushing for filming to be done in the scenic sister isle of Tobago where she visited last week.

“We had been talking about a reality show in our family owned business and I said Tobago will be the perfect place.

All the girls want to come to Trinidad because we have been talking about it for years...

We’ve been working on the reality show for a while and been in negotiations. We haven’t signed with the company, we’ve had a couple offers and hadn’t found the fit. But when I was in Tobago it just seemed this would be the perfect way to get our team down here and film here because I think it would be interesting. Our team is very hardcore and triple ‘A’ personality working 80 to 90 hours a week and I think it would be really good TV,” she said.

Rousey, who became a household name with her stunning performances in the octagon, is still viewed as one of the biggest MMA stars despite two losses in her last fights. The 30 year old’s stardom has transitioned into acting with appearances in the multi-million dollar franchise, Fast and Furious 7, and the action-packed movie The Expendables 3.

Rousey’s impressive grappling skills and 12 straight victories from 2011 onward saw pundits wonder whether Rousey could even be successful fighting men as she seemed unbeatable against her same gender.

But a vicious knockout to Holly Holmes on November 15, 2015 which saw Rousey medically suspended left the former champ’s pride badly wounded and she even contemplated suicide. Her mom yesterday discussed the role she played in helping Ronda battle the depression of losing her first fight and seeing her unbeaten record gone. “I think anybody who is a top athlete, there is a moment right after (a loss) where your world caves in. One thing what Ronda has going for her is that she has a really tight family that loves her. She comes home and I have four grandchildren who just climb over her and you realise these are the things that matter.”

She continued: “You know it’s funny, when she was competing in judo as a little kid she used to go to the Junior Nationals, I would tell her: ‘You know Ronda if you don’t win I’ll still love you, just not as much.’ Then one day at age 14 she said to me ‘Mom you know what you said really hurts my feelings’ and I was shocked because I was joking.

But I tell her now ‘I love you just as much.’” De Mars yesterday said she believes her daughter’s legacy is cemented as a pioneer for women in combat sports and sports in general. “It is amazing and I always tell my kids that it’s better to be the first than the best. Someone could always come along that is better than you but they could never be more first than you. I think it’s great.

Sports are wonderful but I coach kids in South Los Angeles (I tell them) I have a phD and a gold medal and one of them enables us to live at the beach in Santa Monica and it’s not the gold medal. For Ronda, she’s so much more than that (MMA), she’s super good at Math and works with our (software) company testing the games so I think for every kid, it’s important to keep in mind that you’re more than what you won this week.”

De Mars, who has four daughters including 18 year old Julia who is vacationing with her, said ideally she would not like none of her children come in harm’s way and would not recommend MMA but said they are so strong-minded that they will pursue whatever career they wish to. Fraser, commenting on hosting Rousey’s mother in Trinidad, said talks are underway for the reality show and he is planning an MMA event as well to possibly mark her presence here.

“We have begun talking about the possibility of having a reality show done and the family (here). For that to happen all the daughters have to be in Trinidad and Tobago. As long as it materialises they’re gonna be here and we’re gonna plan an event around that and have Ronda Rousey here as our guest.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »
De Mars, who has four daughters including 18 year old Julia who is vacationing with her, said ideally she would not like none of her children come in harm’s way and would not recommend MMA but said they are so strong-minded that they will pursue whatever career they wish to. Fraser, commenting on hosting Rousey’s mother in Trinidad, said talks are underway for the reality show and he is planning an MMA event as well to possibly mark her presence here.

Gosh boy Newsday!
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
Add + Sloane Stephens  winner 2017 US Open. her grandfather (92) is Trini born

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:59:22 PM by Jumbie »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2017, 11:40:10 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2017, 11:42:36 PM »
Is that her Moms?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 12, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »
Is that her Moms?

Andre De Grasse(pic in Foreground) mom

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2017, 07:28:21 PM »
Is Cardi B mentioned here already?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2017, 05:35:51 AM »
Is Cardi B mentioned here already?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/entertainment/cardi-b-rapper/index.html

I don't know. But it really has to be a wide generation gap with me and the now generation. I did not know she is #1 on the Billboard Top 100. She could cuss like hell.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »
Trinbagonian American Winston Duke Stars in Marvel's Black Panther

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #315 on: July 19, 2019, 12:43:41 PM »
Billy Mo was born on February 22, 1923 in Trinidad as Peter Mico Joachim. He was an actor, known for Übermut im Salzkammergut (1963), Schlagerparade 1961 (1961) and Die Nacht vor der Premiere (1959). He was married to Sylvia Hartjenstein and Margot Miranda. He died on July 16, 2004 in Hannover, Germany.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594900/

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X9FgN2jWarA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X9FgN2jWarA</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 19, 2019, 10:59:21 PM »
Never heard of this guy.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2020, 01:34:01 AM »
Dominique Thorne: American actress, with Trini roots, stars as Marvel’s Ironheart
NARISSA FRASER (T&T NEWSDAY).

SHE loves hot doubles with the perfect ratio of channa to tamarind sauce, likes the beach and enjoys a good family lime.

She may sound like an average Trini but she is also the star of an upcoming Disney Plus/Marvel series.

Born to T&T parents in the US, 23-year-old actress Dominique Thorne is set to invade your screen as Marvel’s Ironheart.

The actress was born and raised in New York but her mother, Nerissa Guy, is from Carapichaima and her father, Navie Guy, is from Mayaro. She also has two brothers – Ky-Mani, 13, and Caleb, four.

But when you interact with her, you’d think she was born and raised in T&T as her parents ensured they retained every aspect of their culture possible after migrating.

She told Sunday Newsday, “Most of my family, actually, is in Trinidad. All my cousins and everything. It’s only just really my immediate family that’s here but at least 90 per cent of my family members are still in Trinidad.”

They now live in Delaware. She said she communicates with her family daily and her parents’ TT friends “that grew up across the street or down the road that almost become like your family over time.”

Much to her dissatisfaction, she has only visited T&T once in 2010. She stayed by her aunt in Chaguanas.

“I remember everything vividly.

“I stayed for a significant amount of time – long enough to participate in a summer camp, visit museums…We had gone absolutely everywhere. Down the islands, Maracas...I got to visit the family down in Mayaro. It was beautiful.”

Two things she loves about T&T culture are the sense of pride and dignity of its people and the food. Her favourite meals are crab and dumplings and bake and shark.

“Just before Christmas, my dad and I drove back up to Brooklyn and we were getting groceries because you can’t really get some of the common ingredients to make what we want in Delaware. Even something as simple as a pimento pepper. So, we made the trip, we stopped and got doubles on the way so it was nice to be back in that kind of environment again.”

Caribbean schooling in New York

Her schooling journey was not that simple as she switched schools often.

“My mom was very big on wherever she could find the best education, that’s where I would go to.”

She recalled attending a “Caribbean preschool” in Flatbush.

“All the teachers were from the Caribbean and they taught with that same kind of style. They even had that little red book (Nelson’s West Indian Readers) that’s used in T&T.”

At one of the schools, she said, “My mom would get reviews during parent-teacher conferences like, ‘Oh, yes. She’s such a wonderful child. She’d even help me distribute things.’ And my mom was like, ‘Dais what I sending you to school for?’

She attended a series of Catholic schools and even a Greek Orthodox school.

She never quite felt like she fit in, though, recalling why the trip to T&T meant so much to her.

Domnique Thorne will become Riri Williams who is Ironheart in a TV series based on the Marvel comic. -
“It felt so good to finally connect with the place that had such a strong influence on my upbringing, the place where this accent originated.

“Because growing up in school, you’re automatically identified as being African-American and I accepted it. But as I grew older and learned more about US history, I realised it wasn’t exactly my history and my peers didn’t understand what I was talking about when I spoke of my favourite foods, music, the traditions my family has...So getting to finally getting to go there was great.”

She also recalled the anxiety that came with applying for high schools, especially since New York is filled with “really smart children.”

She always enjoyed TV as a child but wasn’t particularly interested in becoming an actress. Well, until one day.

“I just felt like I should apply for a performing arts high school. To this day, I don’t know where that thought, impulse or desire came from...A lot of people tried to talk me out of that decision but I was just so set on it.”

Acting, a platform of healing

Her mother arranged for her to be trained for a month by a professional who attended one of the city’s top schools, La Guardia High School of Music and Performing Arts.

She said she applied to several schools but was accepted to Professional Performing Arts School in Manhattan where she studied drama for four years.

“This was the school that made me fall in love with acting and every bit of the performing arts.

“I had teachers who helped me see the beauty in the language and the text in things like Shakespeare. And I also had teachers who helped me realise the strength and the power in my own voice, vocal technique, my body, physicality. And then, I had teachers who made me realise how this artform could help heal me – how I could use this as a way to speak through whatever was going on in my mind and my heart.”

She said it was a beautiful environment to be in and she remains grateful for that experience.

Next up was college, which she winged signing up for with the assistance of her family and friends of her family.

She said the process was confusing for her. She wanted to continue studying the arts but she was also “very passionate about immigration legislation and reform.”

She applied for a top school known for academics, Cornell University and one focused on performing arts, Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers in New Jersey.

“I was just like, ‘Okay, God, you just do what you gotta do.’”

But she was accepted to both and had another decision to make.

In the end, she attended Cornell where she studied human development with a focus on social and personality development, with a minor in inequality studies. She graduated in 2019.

She said at times during her college journey, she became discouraged as she had been sending out multiple audition tapes but was not getting any call-backs.

She was doing this while maintaining several customer service and administrative-type jobs on campus to earn cash.

Breakout role on Beale Street

But in 2018, she made her first feature film debut as Sheila Hunt in Barry Jenkins' If Beale Street Could Talk. The movie was nominated for Oscar and Golden Globe awards.

And in 2021, she will be sharing the screen with US actors Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield in Warner Brothers' Judas and the Messiah, directed by Shaka King.

Asked if auditioning becomes easier with time, she said not necessarily but she learnt to trust herself more.

“I have learnt to enjoy it more instead of entering every room with dread and fear.

“Now, I feel like now, I enter with excitement and gratitude like, ‘Okay, I get a minute to connect with someone.’”

She was used to sending audition tapes but now, “Whenever I get the opportunity to be face to face, I’m just like ‘Let’s do it!’ I try to do it as best as I can.”

But Ironheart was a special casting for her.

“Funny enough, I actually didn’t audition for this role. This was the first anything I didn't audition for and I was fortunate enough to get.

“I was offered this role and it was insane to make that realisation...To be told you are the person someone wants to do this particular thing…”

The Marvel character – whose real name is Riri Williams – made her first cameo appearance in 2015 in the comic book Invincible Iron Man. But only as Williams. Her debut as Ironheart was in 2016.

Some call Williams Iron Man’s (Tony Stark’s) successor or replacement but that isn’t exactly the case.

Marvel describes the character as “the creator of the most advanced suit of armour since Iron Man.”

She is a 15-year-old genius from Chicago who attends Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and has a love for high-tech armour.

She also has anxiety.

For instance, the following is an excerpt from her first comic book appearance:

“This is Riri Williams broadcasting live from hell. Remember about five minutes ago when I was really, really excited about being a superhero? Ironheart. Copyright pending. Well, it seems – and I know this will be a big surprise to some of you – if you fly around in a gold and red tin suit and blast laser beams out of your hands, then a lot of people are going to pay attention. And then all of a sudden I’m kind of famous. Not Captain America famous but…”

She also mentions Stark’s mother offering her access to his lab.

“Oh, and I’m still being trained and assisted by Tony Stark’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) because that never sounds weird.”

Her mother Ronnie is a double-widow.

The superhero’s father died before she was born, and then she witnessed the drive-by shooting of her step-father and best friend. They were shot in the heart, which inspired the name.

This piqued her interest in making a suit and joining the crime-fighting scene.

Thorne said her family loves Marvel. And interestingly, they share a deep connection over Iron Man which they would watch together often.

But her mother had a typical Trini reaction to the news of her casting.

“She was like ‘You lie! Just hurry up and tell me what you have to tell me, please.’ And I said, ‘I’m serious!’ And then she kinda stopped and let it sink in and started to cry a little bit.

“My dad is the silent type. He nodded a couple of times and said congrats, said wow a couple of times but yeah, they're definitely excited. I think they might be just a bit more excited and proud of this than when they came to my college graduation,” she said laughingly.

“My little brother is trying to convince me to take him with me when I have to fight crime.”

Some similarities between Thorne and Williams, according to her, include the connection to school and to education, the quest for knowledge, upbringing not coming from the best of circumstances.

Asked who her favourite Marvel character is, she said she wasn’t sure she could choose but she loves Hawkeye, Iron Man, Black Widow and Black Panther.

Although Williams is still a relatively new character, Thorne is not worried about making her debut but rather, excited.

Marvel hasn’t given a release date yet for the series but fans remain eager as they await this, along with other series.

Asked if she is worried she might end up stuck at a traditional job, she said, “I remember in high school my senior year acting teacher, when I told him I was going to Cornell, he said congrats but he said, ‘If I ever find out that you’re working in a bank or something, I will drag you out myself.’ I’ve never forgotten that to this day.”

She urged young people not to doubt their potential, saying, “We tend to set the limitations that then become real in our life.

“You really only have one life to live and you never really meet people who are truly aware of what you can accomplish until you come to terms with what you can accomplish.”

Domnique Thorne will become Riri Williams who is Ironheart in a TV series based on the Marvel comic. -

Dominique Thorne is Marvel's Ironheart. Photo courtesy Jeffrey Mosier -

ominique Thorne as Ironheart. Source: Comic book cast. -

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 29, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
Fantastic!!!!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »
Bobby Smurder !

1]; } ?>