April 29, 2024, 07:15:27 PM

Author Topic: Unity Cup at Upton Park  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Unity Cup at Upton Park
« on: May 15, 2005, 09:51:01 AM »
T&T invited to Unity Cup ... at West Ham venue.
T&T Express Reports.
[/color]

With Peru club champions Alianza Lima scheduled to arrive in the country today for Wednesday's friendly encounter at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Trinidad and Tobago's senior footballers could expect a trip to London for an appearance in the Unity Cup which will fall in line with their preparations for their 2006 World Cup qualifiers.
The "Warriors" have been invited to take part in the tournament along with Jamaica, Ghana and Nigeria . The event, which inaugurated in 2002, will be played at Upon Park, home of Premier League side West Ham United.
No dates have yet been confirmed for the matches, but the organizers had been trying to get T&T to confirm their participation for some time and TTFF special adviser Jack Warner did confirm so yesterday.
Chief executive of the tournament organisers OSMi, Rotimi Pedro was excited over the staging of the event which will run over 12 days with matches in between allowing T&T and the other teams involved in World Cup qualification to fit it into their hectic schedules.
"All arrangements are in place. We want this to be much better than whatever we put up in earlier years. I have been doing a lot of travelling lately, and I was in Ghana to see the federation chiefs and the coach of the Black Stars. There is excitement everywhere.
"By this weekend, I hope to have met and sorted out certain matters with the Nigeria Football Association chiefs, so that everything will move as planned. I tell you again this will be a big spectacle and will set a standard for other tournaments to follow in subsequent years," Pedro said.
The tournament kicked off with a Nigeria 1-0 win over Jamaica in 2002 just around the time of the World Cup.
"The Unity Cup unifies all cultures and communities. It is a tournament that many Africans and people from the Caribbean look forward to each year and we have come to realise the pride of place it occupies in the calendar of many people. It is not something we can toy with any longer," Pedro added.
New T&T national coach Leo Beenhakker meantime will commence a training camp today with a heap of this country's overseas-based pros along with 10 home-based pros. The game against Lima on Wednesday is billed to start at 6:30 p.m.
Players arriving home at the weekend included American-based Avery John, Cornell Glen, Marlon Rojas and Leslie Fitzpatrick, while Kenwyne Jones comes in today. Wrexham trio Carlos Edwards, Dennis Lawrence and Hector Sam also came in at the weekend. Already here is captain Dwight Yorke, Clayton Ince and Chris Birchall.
Fitzpatrick says he is feeling in the best shape so far this season.
"I had a slight injury recently but now I'm back to full fitness and I think the first few games in the MLS has really set the pace for me."
Unity Cup at Upton Park.

The following was published on the Soccer News of Saturday but is yet to be confirmed by the TTFF.
Upton Park, the home ground of Coca-Cola Championship team, West Ham has been finally picked to host this year’s edition of the Unity Cup football tournament, with Nigeria’s Super Eagles, the Black Stars of Ghana, Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz and the Trinidad and Tobago senior team coming into London for the big showcase.
“All arrangements are in place. We want this to be much better than whatever we put up in earlier years. I have been doing a lot of travelling lately, and I was in Ghana to see the federation chiefs and the coach of the Black Stars. There is excitement everywhere.
“By this weekend, I hope to have met and sorted out certain matters with the Nigeria Football Association chiefs, so that everything will move as planned. I tell you again: This will be a big spectacle and will set a standard for other tournaments to follow in subsequent years”, Rotimi Pedro, chief executive of the organizers, OSMi, told Saturday Vanguard during the week.
Nigeria, Trinidad and Tobago and Ghana are using the tournament, which will be broken into two parts over 12 days, as preparatory forum for next month’s double-dose World Cup 2006 qualifying games. The African series also serve as the Nations Cup 2006 qualifiers.
The Unity Cup tournament started as a ‘NiJam’ clash between the Super Eagles and the Reggae Boyz on the margin of the 2002 World Cup finals. That match was played at the Loftus Road Stadium of Queens Park Rangers, with the Eagles winning by a James Obiorah goal.
“The Unity Cup unifies all cultures and communities. It is a tournament that many Africans and Caribbeans look forward to each year and we have come to realize the pride of place it occupies in the calender of many people. It is not something we can toy with any longer.
“Obviously, it has become an annual event, and what we would be discussing subsequently would be how many teams for each year. We can no longer go below the four teams that are taking part this year. I get calls from London everyday and you can’t imagine the kind of excitement building up already”, Pedro said further.
Nigeria's Coach Christian Chukwu, who is in Manchester presently undergoing an understudy programme with Bolton Wanderers manager, Sam Allardyce, alongside his assistant, Augustine Eguavoen, said before leaving Lagos that he is grateful for the opportunity presented by the Unity Cup to prepare his boys for the crackers against Rwanda and Angola next month.
“We have no high-profile friendly lined up but this tournament has come at the right time and the fact that they are prepared to break the event for us so as to prepare for the two games is wonderful. We’ll play a match before going to Kigali for the qualifier against the Wasps on June 3 and then have another game before flying down to Nigeria for the match against Angola. This is a good schedule for us. If we can pick six points from those matches, we would be closer to Germany 2006 than we can imagine.”
Ghana have a home game against Burkina Faso’s Etalons on June 3 and would then fly down to Johannesburg for the clash with group leaders, South Africa - a game expected to determine the outcome of group two.
“Everything we are doing is to see that all the teams find the tournament attractive and though they actually love it, the arrangement we have in place now ensures that it dovetails with their own programme. June is a crucial month in the World Cup qualifiers and the Unity Cup provides a window for the coaches to see what they have in their storehouse”, Pedro added.
Nigeria’s Super Eagles lead group four of the World Cup/African qualifying series with 13 points from six matches, followed by the Palancas Negras of Angola with 11 points. A win over Rwanda, and expected defeat of Angola would take the Eagles to within kissing distance of their fourth successive World Cup ticket. It is possible that by the end of June, the Nigerians would be at least five points ahead of the Angolans. But Zimbabwe’s Warriors and the Panthers of Gabon are not to be ruled out of the fight.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 05:31:50 AM by Flex »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Unity Cup at Upton Park
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 10:05:01 AM »
When exactly is this tournament scheduled?  ???
They say we using it for prep for next months qualifiers... but I don't see there having time for that....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:06:51 AM »
it have to be the end of May
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 10:10:07 AM »
Hmmm.
I guess we still playing the Peru side but wha bout El Salvador?

I rather move that El Salvador game up...drop the Peru game then do the Unity Cup.....all the way in the UK.

I hope the tournament finish in time to come back home....if it really happening.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 10:11:55 AM by dcs »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 10:23:14 AM »
if we go bobby zamora may join us
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 11:51:50 AM »
is there truth in that
or you jes thinkin to yuhself

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 01:14:46 PM »
Unity Cup 2005 event website

We end up on a websie.....doesn't have much details and still not sure of the dates.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 04:53:13 PM »
is this the fabled england tour that the ttff had mentioned???

how could we be schelduled to play somewhere and the ttff aint even kno
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 08:03:25 AM »
Trinidad Express
T&T invited to Unity Cup
... at West Ham venue

Monday, May 16th 2005
[/b]

WITH Peru club champions Alianza Lima scheduled to arrive in the country today for Wednesday's friendly encounter at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Trinidad and Tobago's senior footballers could expect a trip to London for an appearance in the Unity Cup which will fall in line with their preparations for their 2006 World Cup qualifiers.

The "Warriors" have been invited to take part in the tournament along with Jamaica, Ghana and Nigeria . The event, which inaugurated in 2002, will be played at Upon Park, home of Premier League side West Ham United.

No dates have yet been confirmed for the matches, but the organizers had been trying to get T&T to confirm their participation for some time and TTFF special adviser Jack Warner did confirm so yesterday.

Chief executive of the tournament organisers OSMi, Rotimi Pedro was excited over the staging of the event which will run over 12 days with matches in between allowing T&T and the other teams involved in World Cup qualification to fit it into their hectic schedules.

"All arrangements are in place. We want this to be much better than whatever we put up in earlier years. I have been doing a lot of travelling lately, and I was in Ghana to see the federation chiefs and the coach of the Black Stars. There is excitement everywhere.

"By this weekend, I hope to have met and sorted out certain matters with the Nigeria Football Association chiefs, so that everything will move as planned. I tell you again this will be a big spectacle and will set a standard for other tournaments to follow in subsequent years," Pedro said.

The tournament kicked off with a Nigeria 1-0 win over Jamaica in 2002 just around the time of the World Cup.

"The Unity Cup unifies all cultures and communities. It is a tournament that many Africans and people from the Caribbean look forward to each year and we have come to realise the pride of place it occupies in the calendar of many people. It is not something we can toy with any longer," Pedro added.

New T&T national coach Leo Beenhakker meantime will commence a training camp today with a heap of this country's overseas-based pros along with 10 home-based pros. The game against Lima on Wednesday is billed to start at 6:30 p.m.

Players arriving home at the weekend included American-based Avery John, Cornell Glen, Marlon Rojas and Leslie Fitzpatrick, while Kenwyne Jones comes in today. Wrexham trio Carlos Edwards, Dennis Lawrence and Hector Sam also came in at the weekend. Already here is captain Dwight Yorke, Clayton Ince and Chris Birchall.

Fitzpatrick says he is feeling in the best shape so far this season.

"I had a slight injury recently but now I'm back to full fitness and I think the first few games in the MLS has really set the pace for me."

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 09:31:09 AM »
Good stuff

Lets hope we playing good and have some WC points under our belt and the team firing.

Excellent prep

Also IF we play good in the cup this will open up the door for Further friendlies and potential contracts for many of the players.

Scouts will be watching as is off season.

Soca warriors PLEASE............ dont 4cup this opportunity.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 09:34:49 AM »

The way they playing I hope it doh turn out to be another Scotland   :'(

I hope this lures Spann back early.

He might hadda fight up with the club.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 09:43:34 AM »

The way they playing I hope it doh turn out to be another Scotland :'(

I hope this lures Spann back early.

He might hadda fight up with the club.

The J League on break for Japan WC qualifying games and youth qualifying games. Meanwhile, the J2 continues to play ... no break for dem  :(
Live large and prosper!

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 10:00:45 AM »
We are the Trinbago Warriors! Not the T&T Senior Team!! The Brits need to know this!

Jason.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 12:22:57 PM »
this is good news! quality opposition and plenty matches for leo to mold de team. still no mention of the dates of the tournament?
Hart for president

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 11:49:31 AM »
When exactly is this tournament scheduled?  ???
They say we using it for prep for next months qualifiers... but I don't see there having time for that....

i read that the tournament starts may 30th.this artricle has some info:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/sports/may05/07052005/sp407052005.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 11:52:30 AM by supporter »
Hart for president

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 12:05:33 PM »
That is ah hectic schedule right dey... play El Slavador on the 25th turn round cross de atlantic and play Nigeria on the 30th... turn round cross the atlantic again and play Panama on the 4th... and then fly to Mexico and play again at altitude 4 days later..... wayyy sahh!!

Football in we pweffen.... well ah cyah complain nah... but ah wonder if that schedule is a wise one especially with all tha travelling  :-\ ???

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »
Headache   >:(

The timing of this thing is real stress.
They could move that date up a little...maybe May 28 so we could fly back and settle in....is a home game we playing and de whole team flying out to fly in.  We still playing El Salvador?

I hope this doh backfire for the Panama game but more options better than less.

Trinidad and Tobago will rely on the qualities of Coventry City of England’s Stern John, who has filled in at the fore for the Caribbean nation since the retirement of former Manchester United ace, Dwight Yorke from international football.
Dwight go hadda score to remind dem he return.

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 01:15:58 PM »
yeah i doubt he will score playing center mid though

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 03:53:42 PM »
Playing that game on May 30th does not make sense for two reasons.  Players can pick up injuries just before the Panama game and flying from England back home to play Panama a few days later do not make a lot of sense.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Unity Cup at Upton Park - Date is set for Sat 11th June'05
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 11:38:09 AM »
Just found these details on the Unity Cup website on the events page.

http://www.unitycup.co.uk/Event.html

UNITY CUP MATCH FIXTURES

SEMI-FINAL   
Match No Date Teams Kick-off Venue
1 11/6/05 Jamaica V Trinidad 3:00 PM  Upton Park
2 11/6/05 Nigeria V Ghana 5:30 PM Upton Park
  FINAL   
3 TBC Loser 1 V Loser 2 TBC Upton Park
4 TBC Winner 1 V Winner 2 TBC Upton Park
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 11:50:07 AM »
wasnt the last unity cup a round robin format?

I would have preffered to play the African teams for a change.

At least we gettin two quality games though.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 11:52:13 AM »

That eh bad at all.... quality games against Jamaica and one of Ghana or Nigeria... and it after the June WCQ's so it wouldnt interfere with preparations

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 11:55:19 AM »

its possible that they switched it up a bit to accomodate our wcq schedule. i find it odd how we have to speculate because we havent heard anything from the ttff. something like this you would figure the ttff would have told us about by now.
Hart for president

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 12:05:52 PM »

Maybe they still having that first game against Nigeria but they trying to sort out the date?
The old articles had say Nigeria and Ghana were using this as warm ups for WCQs unless they find another warm up for their WCQs.

Anything after May 28th go be cutting it close doh.

1]; } ?>