April 18, 2024, 02:30:26 PM

Author Topic: Jason Scotland has a World Cup goal  (Read 1007 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason Scotland has a World Cup goal
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:00:18 PM »
http://icperthshire.icnetwork.co.uk/perthshireadvertiser/sport/tm_objectid=16874451&method=full&siteid=88886&headline=scotland-has-a-world-goal-name_page.html

Scotland has a world goal

Mar 28 2006

JASON Scotland admits this isn’t the time to endure a goals famine.

With the Trinidad and Tobago World Cup squad being unveiled in a matter of weeks, the Perth striker is confident he’ll get the call.

But he’s eager to keep his name to the fore by bagging plenty of goals for St Johnstone in the last five games of the season.

Yesterday, reflecting on four games without finding the net, he said: “At least the team have been getting results and that’s taken weight off my shoulders.

“But as a striker I look to be scoring once every two games on average.

“The World Cup squad will be announced next month I expect, because there is a friendly in Trinidad against Peru on May 10.

“I want to keep my name in the manager’s mind and scoring goals for Saints will help.”

Scotland expects national boss Leo Beenhakker to list a provisional 25-strong squad for Germany and that will be whittled down after a two week training camp.

Having been recalled to the set-up after securing a work permit and his future in Perth, Scotland was a regular in the squad as the qualification games rolled on.

He admitted it would be an all-time low in his career if he failed to make the plane to Germany.

“People come up to me in the streets and say best of luck against England! It’s nice to get that support.

“Having been part of the qualifying games, obviously I hope to still be in the squad for Germany.

“The manager knows what I can do. I haven’t played as an out and out striker for Trinidad and that adaptability might work in my favour.

“I’m still confident I’ll make the squad. But it is always down to the coach and you never know what’s in his mind.

“I have to perform well for Saints. It was good to be recalled to the national squad when I sorted out the work permit. That suggested the coach rated me. But he has been scouting around and there are guys knocking on the door.

“But I talk to various players and we all agree it would be devastating not to make the squad for Germany. It was be a tragedy. This is an incredible chance to be part of the World Cup and no one wants to miss out.”

Closer to home, boss Owen Coyle is looking to Scotland to weigh in with goals as Saints bid to win all five remaining matches.

St Mirren seem to have the title bagged, but Coyle stressed: “How bad would we feel if they did slip up and we had blown our own chances? They have to win two of the four games before we play them on the last day. But we have to keep winning.

“I’ll ensure no one here takes the foot off the pedal. I want every point that is available to us.”

The Perth boss continues to seek out talent for next season but he refused to comment on speculation linking him with a move for Airdrie defender Allan McManus.

“We added strength to the squad in January with the arrival of Martin Hardie and Matt Glennon in particular. I am always looking and we know the sort of player we want to bring in. We have never stopped pursuing targets. The first step is always to see if they want to come to the club because I don’t want players who don’t want to be part of what we are trying to achieve here.”

PERTH kid Kevin Moon returned to action at the weekend with a goal in the 1-1 U19 match with Raith Rovers. He has been plagued by a long-term groin problem. But the highly-rated youngster was on the mark in his first game back.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Scotland has a World Cup goal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »
all the best Scotty hope to see yuh on Beenie list

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Scotland has a World Cup goal
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:09:36 PM »
HMM
he is a solid player u knok...but never made a strong an impact on our team as a striker as Stern did..

1]; } ?>