April 27, 2024, 08:02:14 AM

Author Topic: Cuantemoc Blanco replies to World Cup Snub  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cuantemoc Blanco replies to World Cup Snub
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:47:10 PM »
Blanco baffled by snub
4 April 2006
by Reuters

Mexico forward Cuauhtemoc Blanco is baffled by coach Ricardo La Volpe's decision not to take him to the FIFA World Cup finals in Germany.
The volatile forward has been left out of the provisional 26-man squad from which La Volpe will select his final 23 for the finals in Germany, starting on June 9.

"La Volpe can't tell me that I don't fit into his system if I have played under the command of umpteen coaches and have adapted to all of their systems," Blanco told reporters late on Monday.

"So, I don't think it's so difficult to adapt to Ricardo's (system). As far as I'm concerned, there's no valid argument for my not being in the national team."

Blanco, who plays for Mexico City's Club America, is as famous for his volatile temper as his precocious talent. At the 1998 and 2002 tournaments he became famous for bunny-hopping past defenders with the ball between his ankles.

Now 33, Blanco is considered by many fans as the only Mexican player capable of producing the unpredictable in attack.

Blanco and La Volpe were involved in a series of clashes when they were on the opposite sides in club games before the gruff former Argentina goalkeeper was appointed coach after the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

La Volpe said he had nothing personal against Blanco although he picked him for only a handful of games.

SPARKING BRAWL

In 2004, Blanco was blamed for sparking a brawl on the pitch which led to a crowd riot at the end of a Libertadores Cup tie against Brazil's Sao Caetano. He was loaned out to Veracruz for the rest of the year.

In the first half of last year, Blanco inspired the America team which won Mexico's Clausura championship and was picked for the FIFA Confederations Cup.

However, he pulled out of the squad on the eve of the tournament, saying he needed a rest.

Mexico seemed to thrive without him, beating Brazil on their way to a fourth-place finish.

After being left out of the subsequent FIFA World Cup qualifier with Costa Rica in August, Blanco said that La Volpe did not have big enough trousers to recall him.

He played in the 2-1 win over Norway in January before injury and a loss of form effectively ended his chances.

Mexico, whose best finals performances were quarter-final finishes at the 1970 and 1986 events they hosted, face Iran, Portugal and Angola in Group D.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cuantemoc Blanco replies to World Cup Snub
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
so essentially Blanco tell the coach to haul his ass

the man is a boss player, sorry he didn't make the squad, that kind of experience could be an asset

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:00:38 PM »
Mi bredda in law  from mexico jes brought mi bak a case of Pepsi with 23 players on it and 1 of the coach..Very very nice wrld cup gift..I wish if TNT could do dat it will be great!!emagine a case of solo wid each players picture on a bottle and 1 of de coach..
warmonga..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:01:28 PM »
they had a long time squabble... The caoch is an imps... i backin Blanco right tru.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:21:58 PM »
man, the last time i saw T&T live in Trinidad was six years ago in Hasley Crawford against Mexico (the match where Latas won the match with a bullet shot in the 88th minute)

when Blanco come out for the second half i rushed down towards the fence and screamed at the man "BLANCO!! YOU'RE SHIT!!!"

the man look at me like i mad, which of course i was  ;D

that's what too much punching rum does to a man  :beermug:

of course i didn't mean it, but that was a World Cup qualifier and all's fair in love and war

he was then, and still is, a class player
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 04:25:16 PM »
Yeah...Blanco wicked.

But he eh de first world class player to be left off a WC roster because he doh "fit" wit de coach philosophy.  Some a de others to suffer a similar fate are:

Romario
Edmundo
Cantona
Ginola
Laurent Robert
Dwarika  ;D
Hardest  ;D ;D ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 05:22:36 PM »
Nice palos ...... he not the first and he not the last. Stop being a cry baby :rotfl:

we still have fingers and toes crossed for hardest and dwarika. Ah still hoping beenie drink a dose ah dotish and pick dem  :devil:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »
Nice palos ...... he not the first and he not the last. Stop being a cry baby :rotfl:

we still have fingers and toes crossed for hardest and dwarika. Ah still hoping beenie drink a dose ah dotish rum courtesy of Dwarika ;D and pick demĀ  :devil:
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »
Cantona was de worse case of this kind of scenario...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 08:04:57 AM »
Cantona was de worse case of this kind of scenario...

He must be play with too much heart.......WATCH DE SPACE!!....lol

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 08:18:44 AM »

we still have fingers and toes crossed for hardest and dwarika. Ah still hoping beenie drink a dose ah dotish rum courtesy of Dwarika ;D and pick demĀ  :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
allyuh men in rel ass yes ohhhh lawwd

i laughing rel hard ind office here ppl watching meh like ah mad

1]; } ?>