March 28, 2024, 03:27:24 PM

Author Topic: A clearer view for Paraguay  (Read 2001 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
A clearer view for Paraguay
« on: April 03, 2006, 06:39:24 PM »
Lessons in defeat for South American pair
by FIFAworldcup.com

3 April 2006

With less than 70 days to go before the curtain rises on the 2006 FIFA World Cup™, South America's contenders are busy preparing themselves for the big event.
Paraguay and Ecuador were in action last week and although both sides were beaten, their respective coaches will have looked at their players and drawn their own conclusions afterwards. Join FIFAworldcup.com for a look at how the two countries are shaping up.

Mexicos Defender Suarez And Paraguays Forward Cueva Go Up For Header In Chicago

A clearer view for Paraguay
In the build-up to their friendly meeting with Mexico, Albirroja coach Anibal Ruiz told FIFAworldcup.com what he hoped to learn from the game: "The Mexico clash will help clear up a few doubts in my mind, particularly about the front line. There are a few people I want to have a look at so I can finalise the list for Germany."
Read a report of Mexico 2-1 Paraguay

In that respect it proved a worthwhile run-out. Nelson Cuevas and Salvador Cabanas certainly showed they are more than capable deputies for the likes of Jose Cardozo, Nelson Haedo Valdez and the injured Roque Santa Cruz. Pipino, as Cuevas is popularly known, is best remembered by many for his two goals against Slovenia at Korea/Japan 2002, and he showed his scoring touch is still intact when he grabbed the opener in Chicago after a neat one-two with Cabanas.

"As far as the World Cup is concerned it was a big step forward to be picked for this game and score. Going out to Germany in 2002 still hurts, and it would mean so much to me to play in a World Cup again," said Cuevas, who plays his club football for Mexican side Pachuca, after the game.

Although he failed to get on the scoresheet, striking partner Cabanas also made a good impression on his national coach. "The World Cup is just around the corner and every time I play well I take a step closer to the final squad," said the Jaguares de Chiapas frontman. It was a view shared by his coach. "Were happy because the guys I wanted to have a look at delivered. Now we have a much clearer idea of what we've got," said Ruiz.

The leading newspapers in Paraguay were in similarly optimistic mood despite the setback. In the words of ABC "there were plenty of positive points such as the performances of Cuevas, Cabanas, Jose Montiel and Walter Fretes". National daily Popular, while leading with the headline "Mexico make profligate Paraguay pay", also accentuated the positive, adding that it would take more than Omar Bravo's two goals to dent the spirit of a side determined to make a positive impression in Germany.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A clearer view for Paraguay
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:26:46 PM »
Paraguay could turn out to be a tougher opponent than Sweden even

I think we on this forum hardly regard them b/c their players play in the less popular leagues (in this forum) like Bundesliga, France etc

very talented individuals but if the team combines them as a whole, that is trouble

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:38:30 PM »

I think we on this forum hardly regard them b/c their players play in the less popular leagues (in this forum) like Bundesliga, France etc

very talented individuals but if the team combines them as a whole, that is trouble

yea grande I already think they are... Sweeden arnt quite looking as sharp in recent form too...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 08:29:48 PM »

grande breds, i regard bundeliga and france leagues very highly, real talent in dem leagues, i have watched many games in both leagues, para could be a tough opponent but i still think bc of their style we can beat dem, simply bc we face central and south american opponents more often and they give more space in their first third and midfield, than a eurpoean side.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
nah Grande, ah think fellas have they eye on dem. A post pass through sighting them as possibly the most dangerous Team where Trinidad are concerned and I guess England and Sweden may feel the same way as well.      Dey South American ting nah..
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 09:19:15 PM »
Some goals Paraguay score during World Cup qualification

Santa Cruz vs Argentina

Santa Cruz vs Brazil

Camarra vs Bolivia

Santa Cruz vs Bolivia

Caceres vs Bolivia

Nunez vs Bolivia

A goal Santa Cruz score for Bayern this season
Santa Cruz

got tired of uploading so i stop there.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 09:45:58 PM by skins »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 11:18:04 PM »
Some goals Paraguay score during World Cup qualification

Santa Cruz vs Argentina

Santa Cruz vs Brazil

Camarra vs Bolivia

Santa Cruz vs Bolivia

Caceres vs Bolivia

Nunez vs Bolivia

A goal Santa Cruz score for Bayern this season
Santa Cruz

got tired of uploading so i stop there.

thanks skins

Santa Cruz is a lethal finisher when he ready....Valdez from Bremen is another to watch too....remember Cuevas' two goals against Slovenia last WC...he still in that kinda form

but I think Dog and Sancho (hopefully) and Tallest could handle dem

T&T welcomes back...the King

1]; } ?>