April 20, 2024, 02:02:20 AM

Author Topic: Ten reasons Brazil won't win the World Cup  (Read 11875 times)

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Ten reasons Brazil won't win the World Cup
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:02:52 AM »
Bobby McMahon / Fox Soccer Channel

When you hear the phrase "World Cup winners" being muttered, what's the first country that jumps to mind?

I'd bet that 99 times out of 100 the answer will be Brazil, no matter which country your heart might be with.

After all, they have won the World Cup five times, been runners-up twice and are the only country to have made an appearance at every final. They also produce such a continuous stream of great players that Henry Ford would have been envious.

Estimates put the number of Brazilian football players plying their trade around the globe at around 5,000 and the number increases each year. A look at the last eight of this season's Champions League demonstrates the impact the exports have had. Every team left in the competition as at least one Brazilian on their team and in most cases many more.

Out of the big seven leagues in Europe (Spain, England, Italy, France, Germany, Holland and Portugal) only the Premiership has yet to fully embrace players from the land of the Samba. But given that the country commonly regarded as almost everyone's second favorite team has so much going for it, is there any hope for the other thirty-one countries this summer in Germany?

In the interests of providing hope and encouragement to every non-Brazilian supporter out there, here are ten reasons why Brazil will not win the FIFA World Cup 2006.

1. Brazil does not win when the expectations back home are too high
When a "special" team (and this edition has that potential) comes along, expectations ratchet upwards. In 1966, Brazil arrived in England as reigning champions and with a 26-year-old Pele at the peak of his talents. They found themselves in what would now be referred to as a group of death. Pele was kicked out of the tournament — literally, and they were back in Rio before the postcards.

The team of '82 is remembered as a magnificent squad but an unsuccessful one. Flowing football in the group stage had everyone salivating and the only question seemed to be who was going to finish as the runner-up. But they ran into an Italian side and Paolo Rossi who punished them for defensive lapses and all that was left was their nomination as one of the best teams that didn't win the World Cup.

Of course the biggest blow came when they failed to win in 1950 when they hosted the tournament. Despite leading 1-0 in the crucial game against Uruguay, two goals in the last 25 minutes gave the Uruguayans their second World Cup and sent the entire Brazilian nation into a protracted state of mourning.

2. The goalkeeping is suspect
Brazilian goalkeepers have rarely garnered much respect although Gilmar ('58 and '62), Taffarel ('94 and '98) and Marcos ('02) all provided exemplary service. The 'myth' of dodgy Brazilian 'keepers is probably down to their 1970 goalie, called Felix. He was no cat but he certainly had at least nine lives.

This time there are at least five goalkeepers up for consideration — Dida (Milan), Marcos (Palmeiras), Julio Cesar (Inter), Gomes (PSV) and Rogerio Ceni (Sao Paulo).

Dida, Marcos and Julio Cesar have all missed games to injury this season and Cesar (married to the former Mrs. Ronaldo) has lost his starting position to Toldo at Inter.

Dida has looked shaky at times this year as well, so Brazil may go into the tournament without a clear number one choice.

3. The full backs are over-the-hill
At the last two World Cups, Cafu and Roberto Carlos gave Brazil the width they needed in attack. Now at ages 36 and 33 respectively, how much can Brazil really expect from these two and without their powering runs who will replace them? Cafu has recently undergone surgery while Roberto Carlos is often relegated to a cameo role at free kicks for Real Madrid.

Cicinho (Real Madrid) is touted as a replacement on the right-hand side but there is a feeling that the former Sao Paulo star is far better going forward than he is defending. Junior (Parma) and Gustavo Nery, who underwent an unhappy spell at Werder Bremen, are two options to replace Roberto Carlos.

4. Roque Junior
Any side that has Roque in it has to give a confidence boost to the opposition. The great mystery of our time is how did this player — and Christian Karembeu of France — ever manage to win both the World Cup and the Champions League? Self-handicapping by their respective coaches is the only plausible explanation.

5. Coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has too many stars to choose from
The quality of players that won't make the final squad of twenty-three is enough to make most other coaches green with envy. But even within the twenty-three, the competing egos will be too much to handle as every player angles for playing time. Throw in the chance of a poor start to the tournament and a peace-keeping force may have to be called in.

6. Emerson isn't the force he was
The man that Carlos Alberto Parreira described as his "rock" played with all the characteristics of one against Arsenal last week. He couldn't keep with the pace of the Arsenal midfield and instead plunked himself in front of the Juve central defenders and hardly moved all game. Renato might be a wiser, more mobile choice but Parreira is likely to stick with Emerson — in the short term anyway.

7. Robinho, Kaka, Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho
Despite pleas from Brazilian fans to start all five, it's not likely. Although Parreira was quoted a couple of weeks ago that he will play Adriano, Ronaldo, Kaka and Ronaldinho as the "magic quartet" in the first game against Croatia.

The problem is, of the five players, only Ronaldinho and Kaka are at anything close to the top of their game. Robinho gets limited time at Real Madrid while Ronaldo can still turn it on but it is increasingly rare.

Adriano, who started the season so well, seems more intent on sulking over his girlfriend and needs desperately to give himself a shake.

Some statistics to chew over for those who believe the two Ronnies are the way to go. Parreira has coached Brazil 48 times and Ronaldinho and Ronaldo have been on the pitch together 17 times. When played together, the team won 57% of its games and scored 1.59 goals per match. But take one of them out of the equation and the wining percentage increases to 66% while the goals per game rises to 2.48.

8. Played in Europe
Only once has a non-European country won the World Cup when it was held in Europe. Mind you it was Brazil who did it, in Sweden in 1958.

9. The Ghost of 1994
In 1994, Carlos Alberto Parreira led Brazil to their first World Cup in 24 years. But rather than being feted, Parreira was heavily criticized for winning the trophy with a team that had more to do with hard work and functionality than it did with free-flowing football. Will Parreira throw caution to the wind and gamble?

10. Tournament formatTaking the knockout phase into consideration as well as the strong possibility of injuries and suspensions it is hard to understand why at 15/4 Brazil is such a prohibitive favorite. Next in the betting is England 7/1 (take that one with a large helping of salt) and Italy and Germany both at 17/2.

So there you are ten reasons why some country other than Brazil will be hoisting the World Cup on July 9. Convinced now? Good, because to be honest, I'm not.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Ten reasons Brazil won't win the World Cup
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:02 AM »
can i have my ten minuites it took to read this back???
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 08:14:46 AM »

Yuh needed to read it to know Brasil not winning?

Los, Deutschland!!

Prost!  :beermug:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »

;D  ;D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 08:17:19 AM »

Yuh needed to read it to know Brasil not winning?

Los, Deutschland!!

Prost!  :beermug:

yeah and ah los deutschlant to you too ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:18:32 AM »
This WC is Brazil's to lose. Roque Junior is a solid player too. Admittedly though, Parreira has too many super stars to chose from, but if anyone can make them gel, it's him.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:20:40 AM »
Yeh i study all dem reasons. And?? If dey eh winning tell me who??
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:49:33 AM »
How dem Brazilians getting horn so??

First is Ronaldo, now is Adriano?...like dem fellas have penal deficiencies?

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:52:16 AM »
Bobby McMahon / Fox Soccer Channel

4. Roque Junior
Any side that has Roque in it has to give a confidence boost to the opposition. The great mystery of our time is how did this player — and Christian Karembeu of France — ever manage to win both the World Cup and the Champions League? Self-handicapping by their respective coaches is the only plausible explanation.

add the Neville brothers to that list.

This is about the olny point I agree with. I am no big Brasil fan but the best defense is a good offense and with an attack like that even the strongest side could find themselves 1 or 2 goals down early in the game.

I tend to agree with Bobby McMahon on most things but not this one.

Més que un club.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
roque junior is mess in truth
is mess that cesar go take ronaldo gyal, he should never make d side after dat.
ronaldo rounding into form at the right time.
cicinho could handle it and sylvinho too so daz not a problem.
the problem they face is running into Trinidad.
they don't have the defensive capacity to deal wit Latapy, York, Edwards and Stern
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 09:03:20 AM »
I was never a Brazil fan, am not one now, and will NOT to be one in the future.

Argentina is my team Loooong time.  Since 1984.

With that in mind, I cyah lie, Brazil has a nice team this World Cup.  The choices that Pareirra has at his disposal can make you dizzy.  But that is precisely why they are NOT winning the World Cup this rounds.  Too many stars, too many big names, too many egos. 
Dida is a mess right now, and the left and right back sketchy at best in their old age.  The ball winner in Emerson eh looking that good either, so who tackling in the midfield?  Pretty boy Ronaldinho?  no way.  Nice man Kaka?  atall.  Robinho like he need some porrige, fus he maga.

Sorry fellas, this is not Brazil year.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 09:05:56 AM »
I agree with the Emerson point. I have never been impressed with him as a player. I think his injury before the last world cup was a blessing in disguise for Brazil.

I think Silvinho should also be in there as a Roberto Carlos replacement.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 09:06:07 AM »

With that in mind, I cyah lie, Brazil has a nice team this World Cup.  The choices that Pareirra has at his disposal can make you dizzy.  But that is precisely why they are NOT winning the World Cup this rounds.  Too many stars, too many big names, too many egos. 
Dida is a mess right now, and the left and right back sketchy at best in their old age.  The ball winner in Emerson eh looking that good either, so who tackling in the midfield?  Pretty boy Ronaldinho?  no way.  Nice man Kaka?  atall.  Robinho like he need some porrige, fus he maga.

Did Emerson play in the last WC?
Who won again?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 09:08:23 AM »

Who won again?

Yuh think football static or what?  That was Emerson 4 years ago.  This is Emerson now. 

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 09:10:03 AM »
germany all de way.....unless tnt knock dem out in de second round
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 09:11:29 AM »
This can be said for everyone.

England lack quality goalkeeping, poor fullbacks and some may argue no real defensive midfielder who is a force.

France are poor at the back centrally, and will struggle to score goals

Italy have a good team but lack depth in the defending department, should they have injuries.

Germany are at home, but are inconsistent, have a poor defense and lack true game winners. Now with Disler out they in further trouble

Argentina have a poor back line, Samuel fouls too much and their goalkeeping is very suspect.

Lard I tired but you see everyone has problems but Brazil have individual game winners and a more balanced team than most. Emmerson did not play last WC and can be easily replaced by both Motta and Edmilson. Both aging full backs can be replaced by arguably better defending full backs. Dida is the weakest link, unfortunately and I will guess two things will happen. Either he does not start and comes in later to be the hero, or he starts and will be replaced.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 09:12:36 AM »
Emerson is a very good player.

He did not have a good game against Arsenal neither did Viera but he has had a good season and he is part of a team that is one point away from the Scudetto.

Més que un club.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 09:14:38 AM »

Argentina is my team Loooong time.  Since 1984.

WHO SAY ARGENTINA!!! I SAY SO TO!!!!
especially after that 4-1 they get in conederations cup, they have an extra special reason to turn dinho smile into a frown....
now as far as i recall EMERSON DID NOT PLAY IN THE LAST WORLD CUP... he was supposed to be skipper or sumtin and got injured right before the tournament and was replaced by Gilberto Silva who impressed thus gaining his contract with Arsenal.. i could be wrong tho...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 09:15:25 AM »
As much of a Brazil fan that I am, the hype surrounding Brazil's star power and potential has overshadowed mediocre results, and average performances......in friendlies, WC qualifiers & even in the last confederations cup.......

if they get it right...they will win......but I don't think they are as invincible as people make them out to be. I've seen Brazil teams with less star power play more convincingly than this current Brazil squad.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »

Who won again?

Yuh think football static or what?  That was Emerson 4 years ago.  This is Emerson now. 

What is your point???
Mine was that Emerson didn't play last WC and they still won.
Did you watch any of the WC last time or do you just talk out your ass about everything?

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »
By de way, is Brazil all de way.

If it have ten reasons why Brazil cant win the world cup, then it must have 20 reasons why the other top contenders wont win it!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »
To all the Brazil nay sayers, I suppose winning the last WC and also winning the last Copa  and the last Confederation Cups convincingly and finishing second in CONMEBOL WC qualifying ...with essentially the same team(except for the last WC) doh really count for nuttin huh ???.

Brazil's bench is deeper than many of the WC teams in this tournament.  They can replace any of their "weak" spots with capable players at any time. Again, this is their's to lose.

ALWAYS AH BRAZIL SUPPORTER...now my beloved TNT in the mix...VIBES IT UP.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 09:40:52 AM »
roque junior is mess in truth
is mess that cesar go take ronaldo gyal, he should never make d side after dat.
ronaldo rounding into form at the right time.
cicinho could handle it and sylvinho too so daz not a problem.
the problem they face is running into Trinidad.
they don't have the defensive capacity to deal wit Latapy, York, Edwards and Stern

:rotfl: :rotfl:

But on a serious note, why Fox Soccer doh write bout de 101 Reasons why USA will never win a World CUP. De day dem win ah WC is de day I stop watch football.  >:(

Brazil! Brazil! Brazil! Robinho! Robinho! Robinho!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:47:54 AM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 09:45:33 AM »
To all the Brazil nay sayers, I suppose winning the last WC and also winning the last Copa  and the last Confederation Cups convincingly and finishing second in CONMEBOL WC qualifying ...with essentially the same team(except for the last WC) doh really count for nuttin huh ???.

Brazil's bench is deeper than many of the WC teams in this tournament.  They can replace any of their "weak" spots with capable players at any time. Again, this is their's to lose.

ALWAYS AH BRAZIL SUPPORTER...now my beloved TNT in the mix...VIBES IT UP.

They finished tops in CONMEBOL WC qualifying......by goal difference

I think everyone knows Brazil has the potential to take the cup by storm, but doh want all the hype to blight it....

By de way, is Brazil all de way.

If it have ten reasons why Brazil cant win the world cup, then it must have 20 reasons why the other top contenders wont win it!!

ah love it!!

good point
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:48:05 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 09:45:43 AM »
brazil was hyped up like this in 1990. unfortunately for them they bounced up argentina in the 2nd round.

like i always say anything could happen in football. i picking the final 8 to be:

- italy
- eng
- esp
- bra
- por
- arg
- fra
- swe

anything could happen from there.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 09:46:36 AM »
brazil winning, the only team i could see dethroning brazil is argentina

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 09:47:13 AM »
I aint see u put Lucio as a defender dey... dat man is a boss.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 09:50:54 AM »
I aint see u put Lucio as a defender dey... dat man is a boss.

:applause:   de man have energy for days!!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 09:54:02 AM »
Emerson is a very good player.

He did not have a good game against Arsenal neither did Viera but he has had a good season and he is part of a team that is one point away from the Scudetto.

Disgruntled, yuh not sounding vex in your post.  Everything ok man?   ;D

Offline trinfax

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 09:59:24 AM »
ah sure it you go back to 2002 Mcmahon may have had 15 reasons y Brazil wasnt going to win the last world cup. All ah dem does be smart bout football especially when they not on the field. I wonder if he could tell me bout any team that will WANT to play Brazil given the 10 reasons he gave. Every man jack scared. This same squad he talkin bout pump 4 in Argentina ass in the confederations. So maybe Argentina should be happy with these reasons. England may also be happy given that Brazil run rings around them even with a man short...:-)  

1]; } ?>