April 24, 2024, 05:46:23 PM

Author Topic: What US programs are our youths at ?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What US programs are our youths at ?
« on: April 04, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »
Our U21 team is currently completing a horrid performance in the CAC qualifiers. I listened to the interviews conducted by O'cconor, Patriot & crew and one of the things that jumped out at me was the significant number of players that we had playing in US Colleges. I have a couple questions out of curiosity, that I hope some of the knowledgeable folks on here can help me out with....or perhaps just give an opinion.

1. What are the various programs at which our overseas players play ?

2. Are any of these programs "reputable"? What are their seasonal records ? Who are the coaches and what have they won ?

3. What does our technical staff know about these programs ?

4. Were our overseas based youth more talented than our locals at the College's league level ?

5. Based on the two performances of the U21, are the overseas youth exhibiting superior ability than our local players ?

Below is the end of 2005 NCAA Mens DIV 1 top 25 ranked football/soccer programs.........there are many other good programs in the States, but just as an exercise, compare the answer to question No.1 to the list below.....might be interesting. It's good to see that we're expanding our scouting base, but I just wonder how strategic such an expansion is, and whether or not the quality of the scouting base is improving with such expansion.....food for thought.

1 Maryland
2 New Mexico
3 Akron 
4 Clemson 
5 Southern Methodist
6 North Carolina 
7 California 
8 Creighton 
9 Connecticut 
10 Virginia 
11 Penn State 
12 Indiana 
13 California State-Northridge 
14 St. John's
15 Duke 
16 UCLA 
17 North Carolina-Greensboro 
18 Notre Dame
19 Wake Forest
20 Santa Clara 
21 Old Dominion
22 California-Santa Barbara 
23 Virginia Tech
24 (tie) South Florida 
24 (tie) Wisconsin-Milwaukee 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What US programs are our youths at ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 03:57:17 PM »
Our U21 team is currently completing a horrid performance in the CAC qualifiers. I listened to the interviews conducted by O'cconor, Patriot & crew and one of the things that jumped out at me was the significant number of players that we had playing in US Colleges. I have a couple questions out of curiosity, that I hope some of the knowledgeable folks on here can help me out with....or perhaps just give an opinion.

2. Are any of these programs "reputable"? What are their seasonal records ? Who are the coaches and what have they won ?

4. Were our overseas based youth more talented than our locals at the College's league level ?

5. Based on the two performances of the U21, are the overseas youth exhibiting superior ability than our local players ?

Below is the end of 2005 NCAA Mens DIV 1 top 25 ranked football/soccer programs.........there are many other good programs in the States, but just as an exercise, compare the answer to question No.1 to the list below.....might be interesting. It's good to see that we're expanding our scouting base, but I just wonder how strategic such an expansion is, and whether or not the quality of the scouting base is improving with such expansion.....food for thought.

1 Maryland
2 New Mexico
3 Akron 
4 Clemson 
5 Southern Methodist
6 North Carolina 
7 California 
8 Creighton 
9 Connecticut 
10 Virginia 
11 Penn State 
12 Indiana 
14 St. John's
15 Duke 
16 UCLA 
18 Notre Dame
19 Wake Forest
20 Santa Clara 
21 Old Dominion
23 Virginia Tech
24 (tie) South Florida 

This question is a tie up question.  Hear why.  You see them programmes you just name there?  Them big programmes?  They do not need foreign talent.  There are THOUSANDS of very good US youths who attempt to get into those soccer programmes every year.  Why then fuss with foreign players who are usually (a) more expensive, and (b) take longer to settle and contribute?

So that exercise will not provide the result you are looking for.

What you can do however, is get an idea of what schools our players attend, find out what role they have on the team, and see what the team's record is over the past 5 years (that will tell you which schools have a serious soccer programme and which don't).  That will give a more accurate picture.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:01:20 PM »

This question is a tie up question.  Hear why.  You see them programmes you just name there?  Them big programmes?  They do not need foreign talent.  There are THOUSANDS of very good US youths who attempt to get into those soccer programmes every year.  Why then fuss with foreign players who are usually (a) more expensive, and (b) take longer to settle and contribute?

So that exercise will not provide the result you are looking for.

What you can do however, is get an idea of what schools our players attend, find out what role they have on the team, and see what the team's record is over the past 5 years (that will tell you which schools have a serious soccer programme and which don't).  That will give a more accurate picture.

you obviously didn't read the post/questions carefully.......read question 2...and then read why I put up the list.....I mentioned exactly what you're talking about. The top 25 list was just a side note...point taken though
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 04:04:31 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:05:03 PM »
Patterson is at NC greensboro(no wonder they say he was the best striker at the camp),  devish neaves smith marshall at usf and   james at uconn.

keon daniel we miss yuh
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 04:13:05 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 04:26:25 PM »
All of these guys are with school boys....

If yuh read the Birchall interview he said at 15 they were practicing something like 5-6 hours a day in a professional atmosphere. When they come out of school they will always be struggling just as they usually do.

All those school are just that....Schools....the US National Team are no longer looking to that system for players.

We really need to concentrate on making the PFL one of the best professional leagues in CONCACAF. We need at least 8 teams that are on the level of Jabloteh and W Conn and we going in the right direction we just need to offer the youths better options at home and they need to look at Jones as an example at what is possible.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »

If yuh read the Birchall interview he said at 15 they were practicing something like 5-6 hours a day in a professional atmosphere. When they come out of school they will always be struggling just as they usually do.

All those school are just that....Schools....the US National Team are no longer looking to that system for players.

We really need to concentrate on making the PFL one of the best professional leagues in CONCACAF. We need at least 8 teams that are on the level of Jabloteh and W Conn and we going in the right direction we just need to offer the youths better options at home and they need to look at Jones as an example at what is possible.

The US national under 23 & 20 teams has  top university msl and european  players . But i agree we need to develop our local league a bit more
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:35:41 PM »

Although I support that idea, such a league could only thrive if it have great sponsorship and financial support with wages that would influence players to stay at home.  Good players will always go where the best financial offers can be obtained, so the foreign league with big money will drain the good players.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »

Although I support that idea, such a league could only thrive if it have great sponsorship and financial support with wages that would influence players to stay at home.  Good players will always go where the best financial offers can be obtained, so the foreign league with big money will drain the good players.

storeboy yuh cool down yuh blood still boiling

Isaachunt

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
 Allyuh we play crap. So what if them men overseas. Time for rebuilding. We have better players in the country. I tell yuh that

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 05:10:18 PM »

Although I support that idea, such a league could only thrive if it have great sponsorship and financial support with wages that would influence players to stay at home.  Good players will always go where the best financial offers can be obtained, so the foreign league with big money will drain the good players.

Keeping your best players should not be the top priority. Developing quality players is whats important. The best players are always going to leave. Thats the case with any league outside of the top leagues in Europe. What is necessary is to raise the average standard of our players so that:

1. Our top players (the ones that leave) are capable of better than struggling for lower league teams in england.
2. The gap between our "2nd tier players" (the ones that stay) and our top players is small.
3. We always have quality young players coming through.

After all selling players is a source of income for the clubs.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 05:29:11 PM »
college football and international football is 2 different thing, reputable program or not, it is 2 totally different games everything from subs to throw in.

The issue is not that they in a reputable college program the issue is that college level players can just waltz back home and get on a squad because they are better that the local based by far.

Remember the best local based are usually the ones that go foreign on football scholarship so usually they are better.

But for the ones that stay home they are not developed to international standards and the foreign based in college are not international standard as well.

This is why the US created their florida program, to create an international standard where it did not exist in the normal football environment.

That said Haiti is not supposed to beat us at home and dominica is a joke.
Obviously the team had a bad tournament and they were not up too par

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 05:55:58 PM »

Keeping your best players should not be the top priority. Developing quality players is whats important. The best players are always going to leave. Thats the case with any league outside of the top leagues in Europe. What is necessary is to raise the average standard of our players so that:

1. Our top players (the ones that leave) are capable of better than struggling for lower league teams in england.
2. The gap between our "2nd tier players" (the ones that stay) and our top players is small.

You make some good points deh!  But will we need to restrict foreign players to accomplish that?  Ah hear that Joe Public have alot ah Jamaican players and we have several Brazilian, Guyanese, Antiguan, St Lucian, etc.  Ah not saying ban them but should we restrict the numbers who could play on each team so our players get developed.  What you all think?
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 06:01:44 PM »

Although I support that idea, such a league could only thrive if it have great sponsorship and financial support with wages that would influence players to stay at home.  Good players will always go where the best financial offers can be obtained, so the foreign league with big money will drain the good players.

Yuh need better players around the average players. Yuh cyah just have ah bunch ah average players running around....players learn from each other just as much as they learn from the coaching staff.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 10:05:03 PM »

1 Maryland
2 New Mexico
3 Akron 
4 Clemson 
5 Southern Methodist
6 North Carolina 
7 California 
8 Creighton 
9 Connecticut 
10 Virginia 
11 Penn State 
12 Indiana 
14 St. John's
15 Duke 
16 UCLA 
18 Notre Dame
19 Wake Forest
20 Santa Clara 
21 Old Dominion
23 Virginia Tech
24 (tie) South Florida 

Kicker, nice job! Let me give my 2 cent on the issue. I believe that the college programs these guys attended did not affect the outcome of the game today. However, i understand where you are coming from. We have a lot of players in the American college base system and yes the coaching staff are very well aware of how good these programs are.The problem was using these players wisely. Using these players to their strengths and working of aspects of their game that was lacking. In addition, i believe that the selection process had been fair but yet not totally good. I believe that their were players that were left out that could have given a very good account of themselves. The ranking above is flawed and i think by now we should know that the ranking does not mean anything. I have seen a couple NCAA division 1 programs mentioned above in action, and believe you me, nothing special. You would ask yourself if the league is shit. But it is not!!! Those teams above are were they are because of how they performed over the season the strength of teams that they played. George Mason University ran all over Connecticut in league action last year. George Mason is ranked like 50th (i could be mistaken). UCONN is ranked 9th. There is a lot of politics in the ranking since coaches are trying to win a bert to the NCAA tournament in the event they do not win their conference and go the NCAA outright. Ok, i am straying from the point. I think that the preparation for the tournament was poor. I also think that some of the tactics employed were poor. We have to blame ourselves for the failure that we recieved. No body else. The coaching staff will get hit at the most and that is normal. Any other country or team that performs badly, they blame the coach. Sometimes is they deserve it and sometimes it's not totally their fault. What we need to do now is evaluate where we went wrong. Implement a proper program in place for youth development and improve on overall preparation.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 06:27:31 AM »
I think another point to consider is coaching.  Coaching on the college league level and then coaching on the int'l level is two different things.

Like someone else said, how are we utilizing the players?  Are we utilizing them to their strengths, etc.

Most times we struggle b/c our coaches cannot maximize our players' potential.

The US college system is a good starting point in development.  It is not the be all and end all.  Yes, Birchall said they working 5-6 hours a day at 15, obviously that would be an exaggeration unless they are in a structured camp over a short period of time.  Don't buy everything the English say because there is something called the point of diminishing returns (business majors know what I am talking about).

Anyway, it's really ridiculous that we would lose at home to fricken Haiti and tie with Dominica.  Sorry guys, but the coach has to go....That's awful coaching.

Arimian to meh heart

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 06:54:13 AM »

1 Maryland
2 New Mexico
3 Akron 
4 Clemson 
5 Southern Methodist
6 North Carolina 
7 California 
8 Creighton 
9 Connecticut 
10 Virginia 
11 Penn State 
12 Indiana 
14 St. John's
15 Duke 
16 UCLA 
18 Notre Dame
19 Wake Forest
20 Santa Clara 
21 Old Dominion
23 Virginia Tech
24 (tie) South Florida 

Kicker, nice job! Let me give my 2 cent on the issue. I believe that the college programs these guys attended did not affect the outcome of the game today. However, i understand where you are coming from. We have a lot of players in the American college base system and yes the coaching staff are very well aware of how good these programs are.The problem was using these players wisely. Using these players to their strengths and working of aspects of their game that was lacking. In addition, i believe that the selection process had been fair but yet not totally good. I believe that their were players that were left out that could have given a very good account of themselves. The ranking above is flawed and i think by now we should know that the ranking does not mean anything. I have seen a couple NCAA division 1 programs mentioned above in action, and believe you me, nothing special. You would ask yourself if the league is shit. But it is not!!! Those teams above are were they are because of how they performed over the season the strength of teams that they played. George Mason University ran all over Connecticut in league action last year. George Mason is ranked like 50th (i could be mistaken). UCONN is ranked 9th. There is a lot of politics in the ranking since coaches are trying to win a bert to the NCAA tournament in the event they do not win their conference and go the NCAA outright. Ok, i am straying from the point. I think that the preparation for the tournament was poor. I also think that some of the tactics employed were poor. We have to blame ourselves for the failure that we recieved. No body else. The coaching staff will get hit at the most and that is normal. Any other country or team that performs badly, they blame the coach. Sometimes is they deserve it and sometimes it's not totally their fault. What we need to do now is evaluate where we went wrong. Implement a proper program in place for youth development and improve on overall preparation.

Kingman

Kingman this is the probably best preperation our team has eva had.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 08:15:46 AM »
Jahyouth u need to start reading before you post.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »
this school ting iz ah tie-up. hear why cause i see some ah de best players pass tru malick with no scholarship in the future and i had ah

bredren who was subing fuh st anthony's when they win it in 99 or 00 somthing like that and end up in morehouse so i believe when yuh

team get together yuh should put everyone on ah level playing field. trying to tell me all dem fellers miles better than tinto

stupesssssssss

i personally know neeves and all but it have ah feller named seon jack that would play that left far better than he ever could
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »
this school ting iz ah tie-up. hear why cause i see some ah de best players pass tru malick with no scholarship in the future and i had ah

bredren who was subing fuh st anthony's when they win it in 99 or 00 somthing like that and end up in morehouse so i believe when yuh

team get together yuh should put everyone on ah level playing field. trying to tell me all dem fellers miles better than tinto

stupesssssssss

i personally know neeves and all but it have ah feller named seon jack that would play that left far better than he ever could

The reason why Malick players don't get scholarship is because they don't go to school and have no damn grades....

By the way, you example is poor b/c Morehouse ain't have no real program......Get your facts straight brother.

Arimian to meh heart

1]; } ?>