April 24, 2024, 02:02:27 PM

Author Topic: How come mostly the Hispanics run Outdoor and Indoor soccer leagues ?  (Read 4765 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I'm asking this question,because I live in florida and I know the answer men go give meh already,is because the spanish run things,well that's a lame excuse from the people I've spoken to so far.

Here meh out,look at the diversity in south florida alone,yuh have jamaicans,trinis,haitians,and a host of different english speaking caribbean nations.I could always bet anytime men in florida invite me to play in ah league or tournament is ah spanish that run things,ah don't no for much of the other states,but it becomes a task sometimes to be treated on equal footing when dealing with those latin folks.

I'm a little surprise doh, after living here for so many years,that we're not involved more on a controling administrative level as oppose to participating with the registering of a team,
which we seem only interested in doing.

What's your take on this,could someone enlighten me as to why!         
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 05:03:39 PM by saga pinto »

Isaachunt

You ever see Scarface??? That is why

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I'm asking this question,because I live in florida and I know the answer men go give meh already,is because the spanish run things,well that's a lame excuse from the people I've spoken to so far.

Here meh out,look at the diversity in south florida alone,yuh have jamaicans,trinis,haitians,and a host of different english speaking caribbean nations.I could always bet anytime men in florida invite me to play in ah league or tournament is ah spanish that run things,ah don't no for much of the other states,but it becomes a task sometimes to be treated on equal footing when dealing with those latin folks.

I'm a little surprise doh, after living here for so many years,that we're not involved more on a controling administrative level as oppose to participating with the registering of a team,

Which group makes up the majority of the population in South Florida? Hispanic right? Well look yuh answer right dey.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Which group makes up the majority of the population in South Florida? Hispanic right? Well look yuh answer right dey.

I was hoping for a different answer but the truth is the truth,and  what you said is not far from the truth,it's a case of the majority rules.

It often seems like is not only the soccer they running but everything under the sun,is this the case though in other states.

Maybe this topic I posted here is an already dead issue that many have attempted to change unsuccessfully.   

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I was hoping for a different answer but the truth is the truth,and  what you said is not far from the truth,it's a case of the majority rules.

It often seems like is not only the soccer they running but everything under the sun,is this the case though in other states.

Maybe this topic I posted here is an already dead issue that many have attempted to change unsuccessfully.   

Well I believe that the Hispanic community has a cemented presence in South Florida. Most have been there for generations unlike States like Arizona where the wave of immigrants is always fresh. So maybe that's why it seems as if they're very visible in almost all aspects down there. But getting back to your first question, you have to remember how huge football has always been in Latin America, much more than it is in the U.S.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
yeah boy Saga, here in South FL the Hispanics run things everything plain and simple. it have leagues in Brooklyn that they dont even have teams in.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Lemme tell yuh what people know and fraid to say because they want to be politically correct and ent want to offend nobody.

The caribbean people in Florida too damn cheap..like a setta free ting, have poor organizational skills, they too wild......JA, Haitian and Trini sweat does always have fight......yes men does ride to sweat with gun and cutlass in they trunk.

Dey does want jersey and thing and order uniform and doe pay........they does send in registration fees for teams using cheque and the cheque does bounce.

Finally they does come and drink rum and beers and smoke weed and have police coming in the park and monitoring the situation.

The White people ent want no set of Niggas and Coolie in they country congregating in large numbers.............(yes this line offending whoever but it is the truth.) Uncle Sam and the policemen does stereotype they does park up and they does watch and wait for thing to happen.

Now Saga hear d scene.........The Latins does drink too, but they small and short and does behave a lil more orderly and less intimidating. They does walk with Cash right through and dey does pay promptly.

That is why the White people who does offer the permits, run the leagues and provide the insurance to use the field prefer to do business with them.

Its a money and Race thing.

How I know.........I used to work in a football store and the owner never liked to deal with Caribbean teams because they doe pay. They doe register good and is a setta fraud and free thing and handout they looking for. It al
ways used to have arguement and fight among Caribbean teams They too disorganized. I ent want to give yuh my horror stories bout the Trini side I used to sweat with.

Who vex lorse but is the truth.........

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:15:15 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lemme tell yuh what people know and fraid to say because they want to be politically correct and ent want to offend nobody.

The caribbean people in Florida too damn cheap..like a setta free ting, have poor organizational skills, they too wild......JA, Haitian and Trini sweat does always have fight......yes men does ride to sweat with gun and cutlass in they trunk.

Dey does want jersey and thing and order uniform and doe pay........they does send in registration fees for teams using cheque and the cheque does bounce.

Finally they does come and drink rum and beers and smoke weed and have police coming in the park and monitoring the situation.

The White people ent want no set of Niggas and Coolie in they country congregating in large numbers.............(yes this line offending whoever but it is the truth.) Uncle Sam and the policemen does stereotype they does park up and they does watch and wait for thing to happen.

Now Saga hear d scene.........The Latins does drink too, but they small and short and does behave a lil more orderly and less intimidating. They does walk with Cash right through and dey does pay promptly.

That is why the White people who does offer the permits, run the leagues and provide the insurance to use the field prefer to do business with them.

How I know.........I used to work in a football store and the owner never liked to deal with Caribbean teams because they doe pay. They doe register good and is a setta fraud and free thing and handout they looking for. It al
ways used to have arguement and fight among Caribbean teams They too disorganized. I ent want to give yuh my horror stories bout the Trini side I used to sweat with.

:rotfl:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Kicker yuh know I talking the truth.

Man living right there........seeing it for heself, but jest cyar believe so he need it broken down in laymans terms.

I feel I oversin the intellectual posts and heights from now on.

Like yuh forget when we went FIU and sweat with the Arabs and the setta police had we under surveillance.

You know how much sweat get ban when them people in the park see more than 8 "coloured" people congregating.

Also I cyar blame dem........Caribbean people does act lil "Not Accustommed" when they ready.................But say what, I used to act so too......I was a part of it. Thus I can explain to those who asking question.

No alchoholic beverages allowed in parks and rec areas........But we does have we cooler and men crackin Heinekin and Guiness Normal.

When its time to break the seal we not looking for bathroom................yuh pull out yuh prick and pee on the people field.

When yuh done yuh leave all yuh bottles right there and yuh drive off......who looking for dustbin.

and man want to know why the Latins running the league.........Yes all of we Caribbean people so!

Last story..........Duck is endangered and illegal in Florida to poach, yet they does be all over in park, crossing road and just being a nuisance.

So meh partners was feeling to make a lil cook.....They hit the bird two slipper, wring the neck and put it in a garbage bag.
Instead of going home straight they liming in the car park drinking Corona...when a Police pulls up.

Gentlemen....what do you guys have in that sack?

The chef bawl "officer....we stumbled across this sick bird, but we will attempt to nurse it back to health and then release it back into its natural habitat"

So the police watch him and say..........where exactly is that?

The chef bawl....just down the road.....LAKE CURRY!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:40:51 PM by Touches »

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Man living right there........seeing it for heself, but jest cyar believe so he need it broken down in laymans terms.

Like yuh forget when we went FIU and sweat with the Arabs and the setta police had we under surveillance.

You know how much sweat get ban when them people in the park see more than 8 "coloured" people congregating.

Also I cyar blame dem........Caribbean people does act lil "Not Accustommed" when they ready.................But say what, I used to act so too......I was a part of it. Thus I can explain to those who asking question.

No alchoholic beverages allowed in parks and rec areas........But we does have we cooler and men crackin Heinekin and Guiness Normal.

When its time to break the seal we not looking for bathroom................yuh pull out yuh prick and pee on the people field.

When yuh done yuh leave all yuh bottles right there and yuh drive off......who looking for dustbin.

and man want to know why the Latins running the league.........Yes all of we Caribbean people so!

Last story..........Duck is endangered and illegal in Florida to poach, yet they does be all over in park, crossing road and just being a nuisance.

So meh partners was feeling to make a lil cook.....They hit the bird two slipper, wring the neck and put it in a garbage bag.
Instead of going home straight they liming in the car park drinking Corona...when a Police pulls up.

The chef bawl "officer....we stumbled across this sick bird, but we will attempt to nurse it back to health and then release it back into its natural habitat"

You killing meh! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seriously though in the DC/Northern VA area..the dynamic a lil diff (i think)..and the latinos out here real serious bout dey ball and it have nuff of dem..

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well said touches,as rough as it may sound and it might offend some people you're absolutely right about we caribbean people.

I saw it happen recently at a park in hallandale called mctyre park,there's a hispanic guy that run things there and of course if you paying yuh money yuh could bring any team,he ain't discriminating dey at all it's ah business for him,money is money.

Now here's the big difference with dem latin teams against we caribbean teams,if they lose a game man drop they head and walk off the field,if we lose ah game man cussing,blaming,threating,swearing and all kinda ing at one another. They not even mindful that there might be kids around or someones wife might be in the bleachers watching on, supporting there husbands,but we don't respect other people because we're so consumed with ourselves it's frightening.

The most amazing disrespect of them all is the man who running the league said no drinking of alcoholic beverages allowed on the premises,guess what man sneaking it in ah ginseng bottle,dunkin doughnuts coffee cup,it in they trunk and every chance man get they open they trunk to take ah slug,I ent jus talking for talking sake nah, we people does make life real hard for the rest of us.    

Â       

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice

Touches there is both truth and humor in your post, but I think it is way to general and way off base.
You ever been around a bunch of drunk college white boys playing in a softball league?
You ever been around Puerto Ricans having a picnic in a park?

Within every creed and race you can find subsets of people that behave the way you want to attribute to Caribbean people like we have a monopoly on bad behavior in public, and because everyone of us has witnessed this behavior they quick to cosign you stance on this issue.
Maybe your time at FIU was not long enough for you to ascertain just how much of a hispanic society South FL is, maybe college life was too narrow of an experience.

Its not that there is just alot of them living here, they run things, they hold positions in local goverments, boards of companies, boards of condo associations, bank presidents, CEO, managers, police officers, mortgage brokers, real estate agents.
You think its a coincidence that Haitians get sent back home bout Cubans get to stay if they make it to land, or maybe its political power?

Remember the question posed in the thread was why do they run things; It goes further than smoking weed and pissing in the park, thats a very simpilistic view...but it was funny though  Curry Lake  :-\

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

;D Boy me eh know wuh kinda man you use to lime wit nah...but you just flex ah real exaggerated stereotype ah we

Up here Italains and portuguese does run de leagues,,,only because dey up here longer than west indians, dem just more established and runnin it longer
New york ha plenty hispanic, ah doh tink dem does run de leagues dong dey either

Is true we does ignore some ah de people an dem laws eh, but my belief is wuh ever wave of immigrants come first does usually establish deyself...and de res does jus join
Granted we should be runnin we own leagues.....but ah guess some people prefer lake curry to paperwork

Saga ...allyuh hadda go is ah ah lil bit north..all by jacksonville and de panhandle an ting and yuh go see how fast all dem setta bilingual signs does dissapear

ah still visualisin ah man hittin ah duck some hard slipper in dey head oui  :rotfl:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mr mc ah love this line everybody should take note,of what we trinis and caribbean people should've been doing to cement or solidify our presence in this country.Granted though there're trinis in these positions but not enough of them to make any serious impact and while they hold some of these positions,they've there own self interest at heart.  

Its not that there is just alot of them living here, they run things, they hold positions in local goverments, boards of companies, boards of condo associations, bank presidents, CEO, managers, police officers, mortgage brokers, real estate agents.
You think its a coincidence that Haitians get sent back home bout Cubans get to stay if they make it to land, or maybe its political power.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:49:51 PM by saga pinto »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mr mc ah love this line everybody should take note,of what we trinis and caribbean people should've been doing to cement or solidify our presence in this country.Granted though there're trinis in these positions but not enough of them to make any serious impact and while they hold some of these positions,they've there own self interest at heart. 

You think its a coincidence that Haitians get sent back home bout Cubans get to stay if they make it to land, or maybe its political power.

Well dais wuh ah tellin yuh...de cubans establish dey link early since dey run from castro in de 50's

It ha plenty hispanics in south texas and southern california...but dem doh run everyting like how dem cuabans sweep miami and de surrounds

De more north yuh go, yuh does realise south florida is like ah whole different country onto itself
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Mr Mc,

The question posed to the forum........NOTE THE SUBJECT OF THE TITLE.

How come mostly Hispanics run Outdoor and Indoor soccer Leagues.

That is the question I am answering, not who run things in South Florida......if that were the case I would have cited historical factors and demographics.

Mr Mc.
I was here for approx 5 years, However I did not attend FIU......I dont know where you made that assumption from,I was in and around the Trini community and I used to sweat in a Guatemalan, Haitian,  Italian and Yankee league in various parts of South FLorida. I also worked in a football store and from a football team, registration, participation, league perspective. I know how it goes.

From simple things like gettin a field to train on, or just have a small goal sweat......Caribbean teams does get horrors. Whereas our Latin counterparts have no such problems.

Yes college kids drink and act rowdy and yes the softball teams used to get on bad.....Nobody denying that. But Mr MC. Puerto Ricans is Yankees too...them ent need no visa to come into Uncle Sam. By extension......that is their country too.

They White and Hispanic......there is a rule for them and another rule for "coloured" people in S. Florida.

Yuh have to remember the authorities and those in charge be it banks, stores etc. Look at us as Unwelcomed visitors. They treat us with scant regard and they also look at Caribbean immigrants as parasites. They however look at the latins, like the Guats and Mexicans as hard workers....yes its a perception. yes its very broad, but there is plenty truth to it.....and from my perspective that is how I saw people being treated and the treatment that was meted out to me. 

You may not agree, it not supposed to be so, you may think I am exagerrating. But from my perspective and experience "coloured" people are treated like second class citizens and scorned by other ethnic groups in South Florida.

Also The hispanics and whites stick together........The Caribbean people and the Afro Americans are very divisive. There is a undertone of segregation between each of us. It is a real crab in a barrel mentality and this is why Caribbean immigrants dont succeed on the same level and scale as their latin counterparts.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yuh ever see Trini and Jamaican organize anything? Get sponsorhip, make schedule, inform people etc. steups

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
some general points. note, i lived in miami for 13 years and still go down at least 3 times a yr. to see the parents. i alos spent a great deal of time working around the US. now in ATL.

1. hispanics is the dominant group in football & all other things in so fla. they have a passion for the game 2nd to none. 95% of the football i play there was with them as i lived 1 mile from the park where they would seat (miami shores rec. complex for those familiar w/the area).

2. i recall 1 fatal shooting at a football game in so fla. it was at the FIU campus and during a latin lageue game. circa 1999.

3. the most organizaed and highly regarded football league in so fla was the Haitian Unity Football league. they used to pay FIU players under the table to play in their games.

4. in other parts of the country, like here in ATL, latins have separate leagues. standard of play is lower than in the mainstream mulit-cultural league featuring many ex-college players and expatriate ex-pros.

5. i played on american, russian, iranian, bolivian, etc. teams. right now i playing on an african (mainly kenyan) side. it is the most organized team i ever play on - dues, 2 different adidas uniforms, practice 3 days a week, coach, non-profit organization, communication via a website (which i built), no drinking or smoking  before or after games.  so much for some of the theories above.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
some general points. note, i lived in miami for 13 years and still go down at least 3 times a yr. to see the parents. i alos spent a great deal of time working around the US. now in ATL.

1. hispanics is the dominant group in football & all other things in so fla. they have a passion for the game 2nd to none. 95% of the football i play there was with them as i lived 1 mile from the park where they would seat (miami shores rec. complex for those familiar w/the area).

2. i recall 1 fatal shooting at a football game in so fla. it was at the FIU campus and during a latin lageue game. circa 1999.

3. the most organizaed and highly regarded football league in so fla was the Haitian Unity Football league. they used to pay FIU players under the table to play in their games.

4. in other parts of the country, like here in ATL, latins have separate leagues. standard of play is lower than in the mainstream mulit-cultural league featuring many ex-college players and expatriate ex-pros.

5. i played on american, russian, iranian, bolivian, etc. teams. right now i playing on an african (mainly kenyan) side. it is the most organized team i ever play on - dues, 2 different adidas uniforms, practice 3 days a week, coach, non-profit organization, communication via a website (which i built), no drinking or smoking  before or after games.  so much for some of the theories above.

Good to know there are sensible people on this board.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Touches there is both truth and humor in your post, but I think it is way to general and way off base.
You ever been around a bunch of drunk college white boys playing in a softball league?
You ever been around Puerto Ricans having a picnic in a park?

Within every creed and race you can find subsets of people that behave the way you want to attribute to Caribbean people like we have a monopoly on bad behavior in public, and because everyone of us has witnessed this behavior they quick to cosign you stance on this issue.
Maybe your time at FIU was not long enough for you to ascertain just how much of a hispanic society South FL is, maybe college life was too narrow of an experience.

You think its a coincidence that Haitians get sent back home bout Cubans get to stay if they make it to land, or maybe its political power?

Remember the question posed in the thread was why do they run things; It goes further than smoking weed and pissing in the park, thats a very simpilistic view...but it was funny though  Curry Lake  :-\

:beermug:
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yuh ever see Trini and Jamaican organize anything? Get sponsorhip, make schedule, inform people etc. steups

Right, because football is the only thing worth organising. That's the only way to hold a community together and promote a sense of cultural solidarity. To hell with all the hundreds of Caribbean associations, Carnivals, Pan sides, etc that there are acorss North America because football is the only way to go.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
speaking of which Touches

we have a tournament to play Sat

$140 ah man

we getting ah case ah beers, bottle ah rum, case ah water, case ah gatorade and ah bag ah ice

I eh know how much ball I going and play nuh
I going and drink meh ass full

Més que un club.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
I hear bout that....But I thought it was a 100$

That ent no stocks there.......we squad finishing that before the first game start.

I go fall through, but we squad lil thin. We might hadda draft a few "stars"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I go fall through, but we squad lil thin. We might hadda draft a few "stars"

wha flippin' stars ? steupssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nah man we pull ah strong 15

is ah 2100 to register the team so the 140 sounding about right

doh study Kicker he jes jealous he cyah make the side

all we need is ah potent striker to finish we have ah good midfield and ah decent defense

is 15 mins ah half and not whole field so men could run and give they all

as for the drinks I know is not plenty but is ah good start I could see ah good 5 case getting lick down before the day out

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

fly meh in nah....ah guaranteed to score a hattrick in the final........airfare, appearance fee, drinks, pelau & health insurance...that's all I askin' for....big players like me is usually ask for more....

if da red man from Maraval (mr no look himself) is allyuh star player....allyuh might need some reinforcements ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:14:24 PM by kicker »

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well dais wuh ah tellin yuh...de cubans establish dey link early since dey run from castro in de 50's

It ha plenty hispanics in south texas and southern california...but dem doh run everyting like how dem cuabans sweep miami and de surrounds

De more north yuh go, yuh does realise south florida is like ah whole different country onto itself

Dutty where in trini you grow up,the reason for the question is ah have ah good pardner I ent see for years and he nickname is dutty,this was in trincity better Known as dinsley gardens.

It would'nt happen to be you would it?    
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:19:04 PM by saga pinto »

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

fly meh in nah....ah guaranteed to score a hattrick in the final........airfare, appearance fee, drinks, pelau & health insurance...that's all I askin' for....big players like me is usually ask for more....

if da red man from Maraval (mr no look himself) is allyuh star player....allyuh might need some reinforcements ;D

With that kinda confidence I go fly yuh in now fuh now,but here's the verbal agreement clause if yuh don't score the hattrick as promised yuh have to refund all payments in full.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:20:08 PM by saga pinto »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Dutty where in trini you grow up,the reason for the question is ah have good pardner I ent see for years and he nickname is dutty,this was in trincity better Known as dinsley gardens.

It would'nt happen to be you would it?    
Nah, I from arong de north side. Petit Valley

Is only yellow band maxi coulda tek mih home

1]; } ?>