April 25, 2024, 03:43:17 AM

Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 116485 times)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS to Add two new teams in 2011
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »

Vancouver will be in, and I'm betting Montreal as well.

I don't see both Canadian cities getting franchises before Portland or another US city.  Vancouver I can see... Montreal may have to wait.

Why Vancouver over Montreal? We already have the stadium, and just won a three team playoff with Vancouver and Toronto to see who represents Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Could be sheer ignorance on my part Mose... maybe I'm not appreciating the level of support for and the appeal of the sport among the Québécois, but to me there is more groundswell support for soccer in B.C.  Vancouver is a hotbed of soccer activity in Canada, the sports' roots are well-entrenched there, and a team there would seem a perfect and natural rivalry for the expansion FC Seattle squad.  I'm sure a similar argument can be made relative to a Montreal team and TFC... I just think that in terms of a primacy, Vancouver will come first... with Montreal being a logical target later on.  I could be wrong.
I hear you. However, Montreal is actually very well supported. I'd actually say it is probably one of the best supported teams in the USL, if not the best. Actually one of the reasons we have the new stadium is that the old one was regularly overcrowded. The support is there and the team has always had strong ties to the community.

Vancouver's problem might be, as Palos said, the lack of a stadium. Funding may also be an issue for both teams. Apparently it cost TFC $10mil to join MLS when they did. Not bad, but that fee is projected to rise to at least $40mil by the time Montreal and/or Vancouver are up. I understand the Montreal owners are looking for a partner. Vancouver unless I'm mistaken are having some funding difficulties.

Whatever happens though. I'd like to see all 3 teams in the MLS.

I can tell you now, that Vancouver has no funding problem...as a matter ah fact they have the money and ready and willing to build a new stadium, but as Palos rightly said, politics is keeping them back at the moment. I think Steve Nash is on the team who is funding the new franchise. Vancouver is ready, they jus waiting for the green light.

Big Up!.
My bad. Cool! :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »
Bitter... I dunno if yuh was being serious, but I doh think it too hot to go check out ah night game down there man.
Ah tink Bitter been living in de cold too long! ;D

Man, I just telling you excuses ppl could use. And not all games is night games.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
Vancouver unless I'm mistaken are having some funding difficulties.

Whatever happens though. I'd like to see all 3 teams in the MLS.

As far as I know, Vancouver has no funding issues.  Jes dotish resident and politician issues.

As for crowd support, TFC first, then Montreal, then Vancouver.  The only pro sport Vancouver truly cares about is hockey.  Otherwise, save for a few pockets of die hards, everybody else too wrapped up in biking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, camping, complaining, and huggin trees.

As I said, as far as pro sports and entertainment goes, it's a loser town.  NBA Basketball was doomed to fail from de time in dey inaugural season, dey select Bryant "Big Country" Reeves with the #1 pick in de draft & left town as soon as it could. 

They never had or could sustain a MLB team.

BC Lions have the same popularity as polo

And to top it off, the only pro team they care about SUCKS, has never won a Stanley Cup, and missed the playoffs this past season.

It have de best climate in Canada doh and some a de best scenery in de world.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 01:26:13 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2008, 01:21:14 AM »
Vancouver need to get rid of all dem drug addicts and homeless people in East Hastings first....

Clean up dat whole downtown core if dem serious about making dat downtown football franchise a success....

dat iz d  worst city in North America and it receive ah winter olympics with the worse drug epidemic in the middle of the city...it is a catastrophy.....

dem politicians too damn dotish... >:(
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2008, 08:38:09 PM »

One advantage both Montreal and Vancouver have, are existing teams with rich histories:

The Whitecaps have been around for roughly 35 years, and are the oldest professional club in North America.  They have a billionaire owner and now Steve Nash NBA MVP, (who has been a Whitecaps fan since he was 6 yrs old) is on board. 
MLS have already approved their plans to move into a renovated BC Place.  Back in the day of Empire Stadium, the Whitecaps used to draw crowds of over 20,000.  They are former champions in the NASL, CSL and now USL First Division.   They also beat TFC at BMO Field, and tied them in Vancouver, in Voyageurs Cup action.  Not to mention beating the LA Galaxy in Edmonton in front of over 30,000. 

The Montreal Impact just opened their new soccer specific stadium, Stade Saputo.  It's a beautiful 13,000 seat stadium, and the pitch is said to rival anything in the world (unlike TFC's BMO Field, which has FieldTurf). Plans are already in place to expand to 20,000 seats.  Montreal are former USL First Division champions, and seven time Voyageurs Cup winners, beating TFC at BMO Field this year to claim the Canadian championship.  Montreal in USL regularly out draws MLS clubs.  They are also owned by the Saputo family, which are worth billions and are the fifth richest Canadians.

Any new club (including Ottawa) starting from scratch can't touch any of this.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:34:07 AM by Winnipeg Fury »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »
It have de best climate in Canada doh and some a de best scenery in de world.
I eh know about dat nah. Too much flicking rain fuh me.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle Welcomes the MLS in 2009
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2008, 10:21:50 PM »
Oh on another note...we might also get Keller or Hannehman (sp) - a seattle local- as one of our Goal Keepers.

Big Up!

Close enough...Hahnemann.  I've always been a huge Keller fan, would be good to see him finish his career at home...unless Fulham can convince him otherwise.

Our boy has come home to roost  ;D For obvious reason ah never really liked him eh, but he was good in his day...not too sure how good he is now...we go see  :beermug:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008112426_apsocsoundersfckeller.html

Seattle Sounders FC to make player announcement

SEATTLE —
The Seattle Sounders FC has scheduled a Thursday afternoon news conference to announce it will sign a major player - although the club won't say who. Published reports say goalkeeper Kasey Keller, part of four U.S. World Cup squads, will join the expansion Major League Soccer club.

Keller, 38, is from Lacey, about 60 miles south of Seattle. He would be the second player signed by the team. In May, the Sounders signed forward Sebastien LeToux.

Both the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and The Seattle Times report that Keller will sign with the Sounders, who begin play in MLS in 2009.

Keller has played 102 games for the U.S. national team. He played on the country's World Cup squad in 1990, 1998, 2002 and 2006.

He has played the bulk of his professional career in Europe.

Keller spent last season with Fulham in the English Premier League.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »
Hope Seattle does well their first year...Speaking in general MLS has improved alot from ten years..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »
good to see... Keller is a close second to McBride as my favorite yank.  The man was just stellar between the post for so many years and a generation of American keepers have him to thank for their foreign careers.

Sando prince yuh eh lie... as enthusiastic about the league as I was back in '96 the quality on the field was abyssmal.  They ent exactly easy on the eyes yet... but talent-wise they've grown by leaps and bounds.

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
MLS TEAMS ARE BOO!! NE REVS-US commentators F.O.S
« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:26 PM »
After seeing NE Revs lose to Joe Public  twice over the past week, i seriously have to question the quality of the MLS league

I hear the commentators make excuse after excuse about injuries, not focusing on the competition etc but Biotches Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

they never stood a chance vs our underpaid bunch of caribbean heros

its no wonder Scott Sealy is considered a boy wonder out there but when he returns home he dosent seem to show up for the games, not to be harsh on scott but would he make it in EPL or championship league 1 etc? i dont think so

My conclusion is drawn, W connection, Jaboleth, Joe Pub could box in the MLS any day

Recognize!!! Big up Joe Pub for representing!!!

ps: alot of the above is just pride speaking, not statistically drawn
and lots let not get emotional for the women out there

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS TEAMS ARE BOO!! NE REVS-US commentators F.O.S
« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »
Mock,
          As much as I am delighted with JP's performance(it is the best by any T&T team, national or otherwise), I would not go so far as to say the MLS is boo. NE has injury and fatigue problems. They thought they  might be able to squeeze past JP. They may have taken JP  for granted before the first game last week, but that lost in Macoya burst their bubble. Overall the MLS is better that the PFL. The PFL can be a good league. but they need more financial support from the business community. But the most crucial support is FAN SUPPORT. That is sorely lacking.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
Mock,
          As much as I am delighted with JP's performance(it is the best by any T&T team, national or otherwise), I would not go so far as to say the MLS is boo. NE has injury and fatigue problems. They thought they  might be able to squeeze past JP. They may have taken JP  for granted before the first game last week, but that lost in Macoya burst their bubble. Overall the MLS is better that the PFL. The PFL can be a good league. but they need more financial support from the business community. But the most crucial support is FAN SUPPORT. That is sorely lacking.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
ESPN commentators do a better job, they gave us credit, and didn't look for excuses.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2008, 08:45:45 PM »
Interesting quote from the Big Soccer blog

"I don't think we underestimated them, but I think they were better than we anticipated."
- Chris Albright, on Joe Public
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
that pretty much sounds like the same shit to me...
no matter how ya break it down

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Deeks

I stand corrected now that my blood has cooled down from the win, its the excitment

from what i saw really NE didn't look like a side with energy, really tired, that being said i still didn't see any player who i wish to have on say my national side
its like no one from NE showed up for the game, clearly MLS could do with some talent,

I guess that is why becks is there just to add that little sparkle, cause as is apart from possible superior fitness, the league is somewhat dull, chivas tries to bring the mexican influence but more is needed to bring the US MLS to life maybe some saudi will buy a team and throw say like 1 billion behind players lol

U still think we do have local and regional talent that can box with the best of em in MLS any day

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2008, 09:55:32 PM »

Deeks

I stand corrected now that my blood has cooled down from the win, its the excitment

from what i saw really NE didn't look like a side with energy, really tired, that being said i still didn't see any player who i wish to have on say my national side
its like no one from NE showed up for the game, clearly MLS could do with some talent,

I guess that is why becks is there just to add that little sparkle, cause as is apart from possible superior fitness, the league is somewhat dull, chivas tries to bring the mexican influence but more is needed to bring the US MLS to life maybe some saudi will buy a team and throw say like 1 billion behind players lol

U still think we do have local and regional talent that can box with the best of em in MLS any day

:applause:

I think if PFL teams used to get a few thousand supporters every week and better coaches  it woulda be very exciting and we would have seen some even better players and teams coming out of the league. Intercol football has been so exciting over the years because of the support. Imagine if PFL teams got good coaches and good support. Trinidad football would have been leaps and bounds from where it is right now....and teams would have been playing good attractive 'trini' football...Go T&T !!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »
Mock and Ponnox, I ain't trying to rain on the  parade. I am one proud Trini ball jumbie tonight. And I am not a JW fan.

If the top four or five teams get decent financial support so that they can give the players some monetary incentive, I am sure we can compete with MLS. Right now we not as consistent. We win on this year, lose the next two years and then come back and win the4th year. That to inconsistent. If JP can perform like that again next year, then there is real hope. But the Socawarriors.net forum should organize for the two games to be place in the archives. I would buy if the are for sale.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:23 PM »
Mock,

Same thing I say in another thread and dis Ponnoxx character come talking ah pack ah ass about I crying down de PFL and local players.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2008, 02:42:05 AM »

"I don't think we underestimated them, but I think they were better than we anticipated."

What a genius.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2008, 05:49:58 AM »
the ttpro is good but i dont think its on the mls level it is still a young league but with more financail and fan surport it cant grow to become one of concacaf primier league

we can now see alot of foriegn players plyinh thier trade here becuse of the high value of the tt dollar is to nieghbouring countries and i think that is a good platform to work off of it the league is to develop
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2008, 06:05:17 AM »
Going back to the commentators. All those american commentators are crap except for the couple that do champions league on espn and the few from FSC and Gol tv. Those former UMNT players turned analysts are really hurting the sport, with their lackluster broadcasting skills and clearly biased stance. Especially during the world cup. It is really hurting the image of football in America atleast for those who are already fans.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2008, 06:06:23 AM »
allyuh doh go no friggin pro league so how allyuh could tork?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2008, 06:40:26 AM »

Haahahah ent!

Flawed logic based on two games. So Houston beat Pachuca so the MLS is better or equal to the Mexican League?
EPL Teams have lost to MLS teams so, the MLS equal to EPL?
Joe Public won their game and that is a great result for them. Now they move on and let us wish them well.
The true test will be how they progress in the league
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53:36 AM »

no breds i does go not all but alot that is held in th east like larry gomes stadiam and MLS sometimes hcs nbut not d ones downs south
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2008, 07:13:55 AM »
Deeks

:applause:

I think if PFL teams used to get a few thousand supporters every week and better coaches  it woulda be very exciting and we would have seen some even better players and teams coming out of the league. Intercol football has been so exciting over the years because of the support. Imagine if PFL teams got good coaches and good support. Trinidad football would have been leaps and bounds from where it is right now....and teams would have been playing good attractive 'trini' football...Go T&T !!!

It is interesting to note that for the past couple years, the more consistent top three teams in the PFL have foreign coaches.   :thinking:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2008, 07:16:35 AM »

Still trying to determine if this makes any kinda sense.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2008, 07:23:23 AM »

Still trying to determine if this makes any kinda sense.

No it doesn't....actually it belong over in memorable quotes.... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »
Ah love yuh post Mock de Dread,my sentiments exactly.We have better footballers in de Caribbean than many ah dem other places where they place so much emphasis on but nobody seems to care and its all bcoz of size.Time will tell and all ah dem go run out ah time soon enuff.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2008, 09:33:31 AM »
the pfl and super leagues by far have more talent than the mls.... the mls has the marketing and money, also the support bc of the marketing money..

1]; } ?>