April 26, 2024, 02:02:07 AM

Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 116586 times)

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS 2006 Salaries
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »
Ah calling yuh Uncle Supa now, since yuh like respect so much. Dat better? This is de last thing i saying to u boss. I never make a post to start no verbal war with you mister. My only point is dat de man doh have to be suffering because he make 31500 salary last year. Whatever else he do to make up money, that is he business. I agree that de man  deserve a bigger salary. What i'm saying is dat man not stopping at saying  he is a big player and should be paid more. We getting into " oh gawd, how ah man could eat with dat salary ". If yuh salary was $21000 a year, yuh want man on de board talking bout Supa cyah eat? All dis lil boy badjohn thing with giving out address and calling man name to go to miami to meet doh make no sense and i not gettin into dat with u. When i come to miami, i looking to get drunk and have a time in a fete, not shootout with supa and he badman pardnahs. De man playing ball with a chance if de right opportunity come along to make money that normal man doh usually make. Allright Mr. Supa, ah done with dis. Respect and peace
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2007, 05:51:16 PM »
Ah calling yuh Uncle Supa now, since yuh like respect so much. Dat better? This is de last thing i saying to u boss. I never make a post to start no verbal war with you mister. My only point is dat de man doh have to be suffering because he make 31500 salary last year. Whatever else he do to make up money, that is he business. I agree that de man  deserve a bigger salary. What i'm saying is dat man not stopping at saying  he is a big player and should be paid more. We getting into " oh gawd, how ah man could eat with dat salary ". If yuh salary was $21000 a year, yuh want man on de board talking bout Supa cyah eat? All dis lil boy badjohn thing with giving out address and calling man name to go to miami to meet doh make no sense and i not gettin into dat with u. When i come to miami, i looking to get drunk and have a time in a fete, not shootout with supa and he badman pardnahs. De man playing ball with a chance if de right opportunity come along to make money that normal man doh usually make. Allright Mr. Supa, ah done with dis. Respect and peace

Yuh know every time ah say, alright let meh move on and ignore Fantastic, yuh does come with some s**t post, tuh get meh started again. Well ah would like as you said, dis verbal war tuh end, but ah cah promise yuh dat nah, cuz anytime yuh post some s**t tuh me, look over yuh shoulders ah right dey. Ah remember when TT and TI had dey verbal war, it went on fuh ah while, but it look we go break de record on de forum, fuh de longest verbal war. Ah see yuh give meh ah handle, seeing dat ah like respect so much leh meh give yuh yours Mr. Fantastic. Sir, yuh seem like ah fellah wid some education, go back, read and understand every post, every time ah post, de majority of it is in response tuh some s**t yuh post. Again go back and read and understand, if dat is 2 much fuh yuh tuh do, let yuh wife, girlfriend or boyfriend, daughter, son or neighbor, read it and break it down fuh yuh. In no way I said Scott cah eat wid $31,500.00, in my book dat is ah dis tuh Scott, and ah doh promote disrespect, ah was talking bout de regular man on de street making dat money, he would be able tuh put food on de table, but ah simple thing as a vacation, it would be ah problem, and he might have to stay home and watch ESPN for his 2,3 or 4 weeks of vacation. Yuh know what, yuh getting meh real f*****g KROSS fuh real, way de f**k yuh see some body say he cah eat? I don't know de liitle things he does like coaching, visiting schools, etc, which ah sure all of it is not fuh free, plus de man does get he lil T&T call up, tuh play fuh he country, dat is cash in de bank right dey. It is obviously he his paying his bills and living decent. Dat is not de arguement on dis thread, whether he cud eat, yes or no. We are simple saying dat we are quite surprised, dat a professional baller only being paid dat money in de MLS, especially when yuh on de starting eleven, and dat he should be making more for his service on de field. That is it, nothing more, nothing less. Again read and understand.

Next thing, ah doh know if yuh was dragged up wid no manners, although ah does get KROSS and cuss on de forum, when clowns like yuh dis, let meh make yuh know, dat ah was well brought up and sent tuh school tuh get some education. Yuh talking bout ah like respect so much, take dis lil advice from Supa, it takes nothing off your skin tuh be polite and have respect for another human being, always give dat person respect, when he/she step out ah line, den yuh deal wid it in your own way. Well if yuh think ah wrong tuh promote respect on de forum, keep up yuh s**t and some body go dis yuh program, we ar not in 1950 or 1951, dis is 2007, it have real people out dey doh tolerate disrespect, dey will just pop it out and yuh will be history, so keep it up.

Yuh saying is lil boi thing, cuz dat is de easy way out fuh yuh, so yuh use dat term. Ah simple one again, ah gave yuh de address, cuz yuh said yuh not on me wid dat cyberspace bad man thing, well all gave yuh those 3 options, just tuh let yuh know dat we are for real, dis eh no cyberspace crew here, doh get it twisted. Again I is ah breddah full ah love and respect fuh meh fellow human being, but Supa eh no punk, if ah boi disrespect me or meh love ones, ah cud defend dat with or without de Enterprise, although ah went tuh school and get meh lil education and mama thought meh manners and respect, ah cud also flip and be ah gangster in ah heart beat. Alright Mr. Fantastic, respect and peace tuh yuh 2. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Go Miami Heat.

Chicago, what yuh gonna do when Miami come for u?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:31:28 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2007, 07:50:08 PM »
Breds you could easily make more than that waiting tables or valeting cars and that's take home...no taxes ;D .

What kills me though is that they'll pay him that crap and then if a European clubs comes knocking they won't let him go.

which is why i stated sometime ago that MLS is no place for Caribbean players. The League itself structures the contracts where they and not the clubs have legal rights to any player's transfer fees. The MLS is good for you retiring and calling it a day which is what Becks will be doing ova di next 5 yrs ;D
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2007, 08:35:52 PM »
You have to look on the other side, true the money is peanuts, but the brother is getting to do what he loves playing football at a very competitive level.

The other thing is that you build a name for yourself, by saying that you are an MLS player, which you can use to make some decent side change by give clinics for kids, running a football school, a TD for a city which pays well later on in life.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Seattle Welcomes the MLS in 2009
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5ha8YSW7OYNr6lrdL9uCo5R0U41fQ

Seattle to get expansion MLS franchise, will begin play in 2009

SEATTLE - Major League Soccer has granted an expansion franchise to Seattle that will begin play at Qwest Field in 2009 and will be owned in part by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.

"I can confirm that commissioner Don Garber is going to travel to Seattle for an announcement Tuesday of the expansion of Major League Soccer for the future into the Seattle market," Dan Courtemanche, MLS senior vice president for marketing and communications, said Friday by phone from league headquarters in New York.

Gary Wright, a spokesman for First and Goal, Inc., the subsidiary that operates Qwest Field for Allen's Vulcan, Inc., said Allen will be one of the team's owners. Allen already owns the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL, who play at Qwest Field, and the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers.

Adrian Hanauer, owner of the Seattle Sounders of the United Soccer Leagues, confirmed Friday night that he and Joe Roth, a Hollywood mogul, will be the other owners of the new team.

"(It's) been a lot of hard work, but something the city deserves," Hanauer said.

Roth will own the majority share.

Vulcan Inc., spokesman Michael Nank confirmed the new MLS team, which has been rumoured for months, will begin play in Qwest Field during the '09 MLS season. League seasons run from April into November.

Nank pointed out that the US$430-million stadium, which has a playing surface of synthetic Field Turf and opened in 2002, was specifically designed for both football and soccer. The dual use was one of the selling points made to secure $300 million in public money that funded the stadium's construction. The Sounders, of the second-tier USL, currently play many of their games in the 67,000-seat facility.

Seattle will be the 15th team in MLS. The league is bringing a team back to San Jose, Calif., for the 2008 season to balance its conferences with seven teams each. MLS has stated its intention of expanding to 16 teams in the next few years.

This will be the first time the highest level of professional soccer in North America has a had a team in Seattle since the original Sounders played in the North American Soccer League from 1974 until the team folded in 1983.

The reborn Sounders have been one of the top franchises in the United Soccer Leagues, winning four league championships in the last 12 years - including in 2005 and again this past season.

Hanauer would not comment on whether the Sounders would continue to operate in the USL after the new MLS team arrives, saying there will be more on that at Tuesday's news conference.

Allen's effort included a US$30-million expansion fee to MLS for Seattle's newest major professional sports franchise, which apparently will replace its oldest. The SuperSonics of the NBA are in court with the city over that team's attempt to buy out the final two years of its Seattle lease and move to Oklahoma City in 2008. Even if the Sonics lose their case, they plan to leave Seattle when their lease ends in 2010.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle Welcomes the MLS in 2009
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2007, 12:55:47 PM »
Not too sure how I feel about this...I know the Northwest is a soccer hotbed and can draw from some of the Whitecaps and Sounders base...but MLS needs to guard against expanding too soon.  This bodes well for Philadelphia though, likely MLS will have to establish an eastern franchise to fully balance the league.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
I hear what you are saying with the growing too fast thing for MLS, but if you look at it, the NorthWest is starving for a MLS team. We have a very large "latino" and asian population here who follows the sport, plus all the English and Irish pubs are always packed on weekends when the game are on. So I think they would do very well here. California at present have 2 teams (both in LA) and I think they are adding another next year (San Jose), then we have another 2 in Texas, apart from that the closest on this side of the country is probably in Utah. Most of the other teams are in the mid west and East and you still think it''s more feasible in Philly?

I reallly hope they can get another team in 2009 to make it even though.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »
I hear what you are saying with the growing too fast thing for MLS, but if you look at it, the NorthWest is starving for a MLS team. We have a very large "latino" and asian population here who follows the sport, plus all the English and Irish pubs are always packed on weekends when the game are on. So I think they would do very well here. California at present have 2 teams (both in LA) and I think they are adding another next year (San Jose), then we have another 2 in Texas, apart from that the closest on this side of the country is probably in Utah. Most of the other teams are in the mid west and East and you still think it''s more feasible in Philly?

I reallly hope they can get another team in 2009 to make it even though.

Big Up!

I hear you, I don't know too much about the soccer base in the NW, but as I said I know support for the sport can be strong due to the presence of the A-league teams...but more so on the strength of the soccer programs at the NW colleges...there's great tradition there going back to Clive Charles at OSU (?) and beyond.

Yeah, I think Philly is the next logical choice in the east...it's the only major Atlantic area city without a team and there's good support for their minor league team, plus the support of the smaller colleges in PA to draw upon.  I remember reading earlier this year some competition or the other they were having with an eye towards naming a potential MLS team...so I know that the city at least anticipates having a team.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »
That's it...?? you agree?  ??? no big counter arguement, no cuss out? Damn how do you expect for my thread to go to 2 pages?  :devil:  ;D

Supa whey you dey?

Cool BnS, hope the MLS know what they are doing and progress at a steady pace. I am not a big fan of US football, but I must admit they their product is improving and the MLS was a little exciting this year.

I would surely be one o the many going to games, just to give my support of the game.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
That's it...?? you agree?  ??? no big counter arguement, no cuss out? Damn how do you expect for my thread to go to 2 pages?  :devil:  ;D

Supa whey you dey?

Cool BnS, hope the MLS know what they are doing and progress at a steady pace. I am not a big fan of US football, but I must admit they their product is improving and the MLS was a little exciting this year.

I would surely be one o the many going to games, just to give my support of the game.

Big Up!

:rotfl: DeSoWa cool nuh.

Ah know dey have ah thing in T&T dey does call stay home  ;D, but ah wonder what is de name ah de thing de mods gave us, tuh have members addicted tuh de forum so. Ah was on de road fuh ah minute in de last few days, and boi ah only thinking about what ah missing on de forum. Mods, no joke nah, wey all yuh give we tuh get so chupid over de forum, wey ever it is, all yuh did ah damn good job  ;D. Logging on here is part ah meh daily life like eating, sleeping, bathing, working, etc. Yeah ah have it dat bad, ah cah lie nah.HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:05:36 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »
alyuh i have a question help me out, why d MLS doh have a league with a proper format like d EPL and other leagues with relegation and stuff, instead of this western and eastern conference thing  ???
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2007, 04:05:29 PM »
alyuh i have a question help me out, why d MLS doh have a league with a proper format like d EPL and other leagues with relegation and stuff, instead of this western and eastern conference thing  ???
That relegation stuff is too un-american  :devil: what other major league here has that?

but suppose it was considered - what would be the next tier? The A league?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »
That relegation stuff is too un-american  :devil: what other major league here has that?

but suppose it was considered - what would be the next tier? The A league?

lol i think that is maybe why people doh take MLS serious because they not making the format international, remember long time in MLS for penalty they use to have them man run from half line and try to beats the goal keeper to score lol :D that is what i talking about look how long it take for dem to make the penalty proper  ::).
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »

Supa whey you dey?

Big Up!

Lol... I only 'argue' when folks not making sense, and only cuss dem when it obvious they ent making sense but still playing wrong and strong.  But yeah, the American brand of football ent de most appealing and not really up to my taste, but I support the development of the sport here because at the end of the day it will mean opportunities fuh mankind to take in ah game from time to time.  Like 2Cents mention dat he's ah 2-year season ticket holder fuh Red Bull games...we duz like dem kinda talk  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2007, 04:59:24 PM »

What makes that 'proper' pray tell?

I think you're just more familiar with the 'table' format rather than the current MLS format but a couple things:

1. It's a format that American fans can readily identify with since it comports with Divisional formats used in the other professional sports here in the US.

2. The divisional format works well here in the US because unlike virtually every other footballing country in the world, the US is a huge expanse and dividing the teams up regionally makes sense from a logistics standpoint.  Easier to travel within your own division regularly and make a handful of non-division visits to a distant city (say LA/NY) every now and then...rather than putting teams thru the unnecessary expense and inconvenience.

3. Fans can readily identify with rivalries within the region...so to fans in NY,  rivalries with NJ, MD, PA teams etc. makes more sense than say playing less intense games against teams from KC, Miami, Texas etc.

4. MLS doesn't have nearly enough teams to support a table format, currently there are only 15-16 teams in the MLS...relegation assumes that there are enough teams to support basically two leagues...the Top league and the lower league...like the EPL and Championship.  To shift to this format would mean you have an 8-team MLS and an 8-team relegated sub-league.

Currently they are separate business entities, but perhaps a solution to this would be a merger between the MLS and A-League, with the lowest performing MLS clubs being relegated to the A-League, and the top two A-League teams being promoted. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »

lol i think that is maybe why people doh take MLS serious because they not making the format international, remember long time in MLS for penalty they use to have them man run from half line and try to beats the goal keeper to score lol :D that is what i talking about look how long it take for dem to make the penalty proper  ::).

Easy to disparage that which you don't understand.  The MLS brain-thrust was simply trying to tailor the game for the American public when they started with the shootout (something seen in Hockey)...they thought it would make the game more exciting.  The same 'American' soccer public spoke out and told them it was a stupid idea and they changed the rules.  To try and make it seem like it was an unwillingness by MLS to comport to international standard is just ridiculous.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »

guess they were trying to tailor the game to the american public  by making the game more "american"

quarters instead of halves ( advertisment side of american sports)

shootouts i believe was a way of deciding games( no american sport ends in  a tie)

bigger goal posts

only the shoots actually came  off and i'm glad it didnt last

seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2007, 06:15:24 PM »

guess they were trying to tailor the game to the american public  by making the game more "american"

shootouts i believe was a way of deciding games( no american sport ends in  a tie)

bigger goal posts

I don't recall them ever having quarters...nor bigger goal posts.  But yeah, glad they streamlined the game to the international rules...they quickly realized that they were running the risk of having the legitimacy of the American game stigmatized more than it already was.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »

bigger goal posts

I don't recall them ever having quarters...nor bigger goal posts.  But yeah, glad they streamlined the game to the international rules...they quickly realized that they were running the risk of having the legitimacy of the American game stigmatized more than it already was.

What they did have was the clock counting down instead of up.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
yeh and it had no extra time once that horn blow your mark buss  :D   ;D
Youtube Channel

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soccer/2004011415_webmls13.html

It's official: Seattle to get MLS team in 2009

Major League Soccer announced today that Seattle will begin play during the 2009 season. The Seattle team will play all home matches at Qwest Field.

"We are proud to award our 15th team to Seattle, a world-class city and tremendous soccer market," said MLS commissioner Don Garber.

MLS granted a club to Seattle after securing an ownership agreement with Hollywood movie studio executive Joe Roth, Sounders owner Adrian Hanauer, actor Drew Carey and Paul Allen's Vulcan Sports & Entertainment.

"The addition of Seattle to MLS provides us with a true gateway to Asia for a sport that is at the forefront of today's globalization," Garber said.

There is no decision yet about the team's nickname, and the team said fans will be asked for suggestions. The team's Web site is mlsinseattle.com.

The Sounders will play their final season in the United Soccer League in 2008.

MLS, the top professional soccer league in the United States and Canada, currently has teams in 13 cities. It will expand to 16 teams, with San Jose in 2008 and potentially Philadelphia or St. Louis joining Seattle as the newbies in 2009.

Continues on link above..

Big Up!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:19:32 PM by DeSoWa »
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »
Pa. county council agrees to contribute to stadium for possible MLS franchise

October 20, 2007

MEDIA, Pa. (AP) -- Delaware County officials and potential owners of a Major League Soccer franchise reached a key agreement on funding for the construction of a soccer stadium on the Chester waterfront.

The County Council and the investors group agreed to terms Friday on a deal that calls for the county to contribute $30 million toward a proposed $115 million stadium that would be home to a Philadelphia-area expansion team.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This is a culmination of over a month's worth of meetings where the goals the county set forth in beginning were met," said Andrew Reilly, chairman of the County Council. "But it's only the first step in the process."

The MLS has 13 teams, but plans to expand by the end of the year, and has expressed interest in a franchise in the Philadelphia area.

The investment group also has support from Gov. Ed Rendell, who hopes the Legislature will authorize state funds for the project.

The investors want to secure public funding for the stadium in time for the league to announce Philadelphia as an expansion team at the MLS championship game Nov. 18.

Chester officials have agreed to donate some land at the stadium site, located just south of the Commodore Barry Bridge.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »
By Frank MacDonald
MLSinSeattle.com Insider
Face it, time flies.

http://www.mlsinseattle.com/article.aspx?id=530

Faster and faster the world spins and before you know it, some date that initially seemed far off is suddenly in your rearview mirror.

Which brings us to today’s subject: Major League Soccer’s opening day in April 2009 and the first official game for Seattle’s expansion team.

Sixteen months away. That sure sounds like a lot of time, but take a closer look.

Figuring you to be more attuned to sports and entertainment than, say, politics, let’s turn back the calendar by 16 months and determine just how long ago that now seems.

In July of 2006, Bruce Arena still had a job as U.S. national team coach. Floyd Landis owned an untarnished image and the yellow jersey in the Tour de France. And Italy’s Marco Materazzi was whispering not-so-pleasant words in the ear of France’s Zine´dine Zidane.

Does it feel like ancient history or just yesterday?

For many in the MLS, 16 months sounds like an eternity. In fact, Commissioner Don Garber says Seattle will be the beneficiary of the longest lead time yet for an expansion franchise. By contrast, Real Salt Lake was put together in eight months and San Jose’s preparations will be compressed into nine months before beginning play next season.

“Seattle is getting the optimal amount of time, the lead time we would like all of our teams to get,” said Garber. “It will allow them to secure their business operations, determine their brand and communicate that brand to the market.”

Ready to Go
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike other MLS teams, Seattle’s business and marketing arm is already up and running. Vulcan Sports & Entertainment (VSE) is the parent organization of the Seahawks, and was already accepting MLS Seattle membership (season ticket) deposits before Day One was done.

Tod Leiweke, the CEO of VSE, has quickly learned some of the ways of Seattle area residents. “It’s a sophisticated and passionate market, but it’s not a place where people go out and buy tickets because you say it’s the right thing to do.

“You’ve got to earn their support,” said Leiweke, “When you do, they bring the passion.”

Fans wasted precious little time responding to the news of the team. In the first 24 hours following the team¹s announcement more than 3,000 deposits were sold and 2,000 fans submitted suggestions for the team name.

Majority owner Joe Roth has launched many a motion picture over his 35 years in the entertainment business. All movies are composed of a business end and a creative end. In some ways, those two pieces are in place.

“Tod’s organization is the very, very best at what they do,” said Roth. “To have them running the business operation is huge. It takes a tremendous load off me trying to build one.”

Star Search
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, General Manager Owner Adrian Hanauer is assembling the team side of the operation.

Whereas most expansion teams begin filling their rosters with the dispersal draft (Seattle and the second ’09 expansion team will hold theirs in November ’08), Hanauer has already taken measures to build a squad beforehand.

Hanauer’s Seattle Sounders will return to Qwest Field to play a 15th season in the United Soccer Leagues next summer, and he’s received permission from the MLS to promote the best Sounders players to the MLS team for ’09. Among the returnees are all-stars Taylor Graham, Roger Levesque and Sebastien Le Toux, the USL First Division MVP.

Soccer’s played around the world and Seattle management is committed to searching the globe for great players. Everyone’s got Ronaldinho’s address, but sometimes greatness must be discovered. If it requires a trip to Chile, China (Hanauer’s done that) or Timbuktu, the newest MLS team is determined to do whatever’s necessary.

Already Roth and Hanauer have sketched an outline of the type of qualities they want in a player:

• Smart, in terms of both making good decisions on and off the field, and quick thinking while in the game
• Speed will be a “huge component. Moving the ball quickly, closing down defensively.”
• Commitment to the city, the team and the community.

“Our lead time allows us to be patient, disciplined and process-oriented instead of reactionary,” Hanauer said. “We get to build a strategy and execute around that strategy.”

Locals Not to be Overlooked

Roth wants to establish a connection with the Washington State Youth Soccer Association, both to attract families to Qwest Field and to help produce boys and girls who will not only wear a Seattle jersey someday, but also that of the U.S. national team.

“I hope we end up with a couple kids from the area, and a couple kids from the Sounders,” Roth said. “You want to bring in international players but at the same time it’s about growing your own. I think that’s the way you make it work.”

Once the franchise blueprint is completed, among the first orders of business will be hiring a coach and settling on a team name. Fans can offer their team name suggestions, while and Hanauer will develop a list of candidates for the former.

Brian Schmetzer, a Seattle native, an original Sounder and the USL side’s coach for the past five seasons, will be considered, and for good reason. The Sounders have won two league titles and finished runner-up once in the last four years.

You’re Wanted

Schmetzer’s passion is coaching, yet the ensuing months offer opportunities elsewhere.
Got an idea for a can’t-miss nickname? Stick it in the email.

Got game? Prospective player tryouts will be scheduled for next winter.

Got brass? Pull that tuba out of the closet and polish it. There’s a marching band in the works, and if you’ve got the lungs, you could give Drew Carey an earful.

“As much as we’d like to win a championship in that first year or two, it’s going to take awhile,” reasons Leiweke. “We want to create an experience that people want to be part of, and we will do that.”

The MLS Seattle movement is well underway. Kickoff is 16 months away, but to be ready on Opening Day, you might want to get started. Now.

Throw-Ins

Previously, the longest lead time for any MLS expansion team was 11 months. Chicago made the most of it, winning both the MLS Cup and U.S. Open Cup in the Fire’s inaugural year of 1998. Toronto FC used a similar time span to sell-out every game this past season…Rushed, Real Salt Lake has gone 21-40-23 in its first three years…Philadelphia and St. Louis are considered to be the top contenders for the second expansion team in 2009.

Big Up!

Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »
I like the strategy of promoting Sounders players...smart to try and get a jump before the dispersal draft, but either way the foundation for a solid club should definitely be well in place by the time they're ready to begin play.  We boy Richard G. should look them up.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »
Vancouver better hurry up and settle their Stadium woes quickly as they might get leff out :(
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »
I like the strategy of promoting Sounders players...smart to try and get a jump before the dispersal draft, but either way the foundation for a solid club should definitely be well in place by the time they're ready to begin play.  We boy Richard G. should look them up.

Don't worry, he is fully aware of the situation and I am sure his people are making arrangements to get his name out there. I got the MLS in Seattle news from him way back in September when he was let go by the Whitecaps.

I must say Seattle is buzzing with this news...and I am happy to be here to experience it, I am already in line for season tickets  ;D

From the Rafters of Qwest field at the opening news conference  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2007, 12:19:19 PM »

Don't worry, he is fully aware of the situation and I am sure his people are making arrangements to get his name out there. I got the MLS in Seattle news from him way back in September when he was let go by the Whitecaps.

I must say Seattle is buzzing with this news...and I am happy to be here to experience it, I am already in line for season tickets  ;D

From the Rafters of Qwest field at the opening news conference  :beermug:

Big Up!

Well with all the talk of mih boy Jeff Green (Kevin who?) and the Sonics leaving town, I'm sure this will come as a welcomed breath of fresh air for the sports fans there.  It bodes well for MLS and the sport in general that there is as much enthusiasm.  Hopefully the franchise can follow thru and provide a quality product on the field to keep the fans coming for a long time.  I say that because if there was one franchise I sure woulda pull a crowd on the regular I wouda say it woulda been Miami...and look what happen with that.

Big picture dey boy...large up de Trini massive, lol

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
What this expansion does is create a few more opportunities for descent TT players to get a show.  O fcourse the MLS has to be careful that they don't dilute the game.  However, there is enogth talent in NA and the Caribbean to supply these teams
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New England Revolution vs Houston Dynamo MLS cup final
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:23 AM »
Avery John for New England Revolution playing now on ABC game now start
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd