April 27, 2024, 12:29:49 AM

Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 116674 times)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle Welcomes the MLS in 2009
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »
Seattle eye stunning Henry coup
by Tom Adams, 14 April 2008

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/04/14/La-Liga-Henry-linked-to-Seattle/?facets/great-britain-locale/sport-space/football/

Seattle Sounders have sensationally claimed that they have the financial clout to attract Barcelona superstar Thierry Henry to MLS for the 2009 season.

The France international has not won over the Catalan press or public since his summer move from Arsenal and there have been suggestions that a move to America could be in the offing for one of a select group of players who enjoys worldwide fame on a similar scale to David Beckham.

Having seen the off-the-field benefits sparked by Beckham’s arrival at LA Galaxy, the Seattle franchise – who begin life as an MLS team next season – have targeted Arsenal’s all-time record goalscorer as a potential signing.

However unlikely that may appear to be, Seattle are bankrolled by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and movie executive Joe Roth and the latter believes prising Henry from the clutches of one of world football’s biggest sides is not beyond the realms of financial reality.

“To answer the question, would we pay for somebody on the scale of Thierry Henry ... the answer is yes,” said Roth in The News Tribune.

“You don’t want to get a big name that doesn’t organically fit in with the team or somebody who is past his game.

“You can’t force it. It’s the same way with movies, you can’t force a movie star into a role that he doesn’t belong in.”

Despite being far from a spent force in European football, particularly with Euro 2008 fast approaching, Henry has previously spoken of the attraction of playing in the MLS and this has only spurred Seattle’s interest in one of The Premier League’s finest ever players.

Part owner and general manager Adrian Hanauer is determined to pursue the possibility of recruiting Henry for an MLS league that, whilst accused of lacking quality, certainly does not suffer from a shortage of ambition.

"Thierry Henry is one of my favorite players of all time. He has spoken in the past about coming to MLS to play soccer," Hanauer said recently.

"I am now in a position with the Seattle franchise to consider such a player. It would be irresponsible of me not to explore and consider a possibility like this."

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
I doh want to hear about the labor pains....show me the baby.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
Microsoft to sponsor Seattle's new MLS team

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8186252/Microsoft-to-sponsor-Seattle's-new-MLS-team

SEATTLE (AP) - Microsoft Corp. will become the naming sponsor for the Seattle Sounders FC when the expansion Major League Soccer team begins play in the 2009 season.

The world's largest software maker's Xbox 360 Live brand will be prominently displayed on the front of the Sounders' green and blue jerseys.

"Microsoft is the place to be in Seattle," Sounders co-owner Joe Roth said of the Redmond-based company.

"The big decisions are the critical decisions. They're the one's that matter," the Hollywood filmmaker added. "Seattle being the city turned out to be a critical decision, my partners turned out to be a critical decision, Microsoft coming in on the ground floor with Xbox, a critical decision. Now, we've got to put a team together."

Nearly a year from still taking the field, the franchise has checked off every major mark on its to-do list, from securing corporate sponsorship, to the creation of its own fan organization that will have the power every four years to vote out the current general manager if the team fails to perform.

Tod Leiweke, CEO of Vulcan Sports and Entertainment, a partner in the ownership group, said Wednesday the team has accepted deposits for more than 16,000 season tickets and is on pace to potentially own the largest season ticket base in the league.

The sponsorship deal with Microsoft for its video-game system is to last five years at a reported $20 million. Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division, said the global scope of soccer, and the growth in the United States was key component in Microsoft's participation. The connection with a local sports franchise in its infancy, was important as well.

"It's the global sport, and all our employees, partners and customers are soccer fans it turns out when you go around the world," Bach said. "It's a great opportunity in a local way, to begin the process of connecting with that audience. And when you see what is happening with soccer in the United States, we know it's going to continue to grow and be a major sport. It's exciting to be in on the ground floor."

Microsoft will now join companies like Best Buy, Glidden and Herbalife paying to have their logos plastered across the chest of MLS team jerseys. Bach said proving that such a sponsorship is of value for the company and its employees was the biggest obstacle when past sponsorship proposals have popped up.

"Over five years, they're going to put a great product on the field, the league is going to continue to grow and we're going to look back and say it was absolutely the right step for us," Bach said.

Now the Sounders' challenge turns to filling out a roster that has only one signed player - Sebastian Le Toux, who plays for the Seattle Sounders in the United Soccer League. General manager Adrian Hanauer has made recruiting trips to South American, Europe and Africa in recent months. The ownership group is open to signing a designated player, but wants any big name the team signs to be part of the Seattle community.

"We've had numerous conversations with other players, agents, scouts. We have short lists put together of players around the world, from designated players all the way down to backup players," Hanauer said. "We haven't made any decisions yet ... but we're getting things pretty well organized and we have a good idea how we want to build the team."

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2008, 10:26:17 AM »

The team unveiled its new primary jersey at the announcement at Qwest Field, and the rave green-with-blue-piping kit has the words "Xbox 360 Live," a leading Microsoft product, emblazoned on the front with the Sounders FC logo on the left shoulder.

Additionally, Xbox 360 will be the presenting sponsor of an annual Sounders FC international tour and will sponsor the playing surface at Qwest Field when the team begins play next year, to be called "The Xbox Pitch at Qwest Field."

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:31 AM »
Not sure if I like the kit....

I see DC United also has the Volkswagen logo emblazoned across their kit as well.  Good to see corporate sponsorship creeping in...as Shaka indicated somewhere else, once they up the minimum salaries you should see quality start to improve across the board.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
Yeah, initially I did not like it too much, but it looks much better in the to scale version

I see a lot of potential though, hopefully when they get a big name player, the new kit would improve.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »
i wonder if they go call their park the Blue Field of Death.

i wonder how much time they go have to reinstall dat team to get it to work properly.

but then they could always buy up whatever they cyah develop on their own and proceed to fork it up.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
Yeah, initially I did not like it too much, but it looks much better in the to scale version

I see a lot of potential though, hopefully when they get a big name player, the new kit would improve.

Big Up!

It not too bad...but after yuh dress yuh outfield players in dem colors, what yuh leaving fuh de goalie tuh wear?  :rotfl:

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »

Big Up!

It not too bad...but after yuh dress yuh outfield players in dem colors, what yuh leaving fuh de goalie tuh wear?  :rotfl:

and Mexico thought their green was bad.... :rotfl: very close to the astro turf colors...

Oh, on a side note..the Brasil game would be played on Natural grass  :thumbsup:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »
and Mexico thought their green was bad.... :rotfl: very close to the astro turf colors...

Oh, on a side note..the Brasil game would be played on Natural grass  :thumbsup:

Big Up!

I eh go lie... I could still rock dat when it go on sale...dat go go down irie with some blue jeans in ah fete.  It probably ClimaCool too, lol

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »
In the old NASL, Seattle was a very good team. They almost won NASL soccer bowl against the Cosmos. They always played a good brand. Vancouver and Minnesota Kicks were good teams also.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »
In the old NASL, Seattle was a very good team. They almost won NASL soccer bowl against the Cosmos. They always played a good brand. Vancouver and Minnesota Kicks were good teams also.
Yeah, Vancouver Whitecaps just played LA Galaxy and beat them
would be sweet if Vancouver could get into the MLS.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLS to Add two new teams in 2011
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »
In addition to the new team in Seattle (2009) and Philadelphia (2010)... MLS is looking to add two more teams for the 2011 season:

"Expansion was a popular topic of discussion, particularly in Toronto where TFC's success has created speculation that other Canadian cities may be contenders for a new MLS club. Garber said that Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver are on a short list that also includes Atlanta, Las Vegas, Miami, Portland, St. Louis and possibly a second New York team.

Garber dismissed concerns that the MLS owners would be more apt to favor U.S. expansion teams than Canadian ones.

'I think that's a quintessentially Canadian way of thinking that Canadians won't be able to compete.' Garber joked. 'We don't have a market reacting quite the way we've experienced in Toronto; that's a pretty good leg up on many other cities.'

The commissioner said that the new Seattle team has already sold close to 16,000 season tickets in anticipation of their 2009 debut, and the Philadelphia club coming in 2010 have close to 5,000 season tickets sold. These two teams will raise the league's total to 16, and Garber said the short-term goal is add expansion clubs in two of the aforementioned group of contending cities and then re-evaluate the situation. He said he hoped to have more details on new teams by MLS Cup in November."

See Article

In an ideal world this would mean more opportunities for caribbean footballers...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:42:04 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS to Add two new teams in 2011
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:18 PM »
I heard they are highly in favour of a Portland (most likely) or Vancouver team to keep the NorthWest Rivalry going with Seattle who is already making a big impact, which they think would draw bigger crowds and attention. Rivalries (apparently) are a big part of American sporting culture  ::)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »

Watch for one, possibly two more Canadian teams by 2011.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »
Vancouver shootin dey own self in de foot by lapsin on de new Stadium.

Ting is...the problem isn't the usual issue of taxpayers protesting having to shell out $ for the stadium.  The owner of the Whitecaps is financing the entire project.  No Federal or Provincial money asked for or required.  Jes stupid Vancouver politics.  First it was the residents saying they're concerned about soccer hooliganism in the downtown area (yet they have no problem with hockey despite the ONLY incidence of fan sporting violence in Vancouver's history took place when they rioted in downtown Vancouver when their team lost in the Stanley Cup).  Then is de Railway doh want to part with land they have no need for insisting that they MIGHT develop it in 50 years.

Dese peeps doh know dey ass from dey elbow.  Typical.  No wonder Vancouver is a loser sporting and entertainment city.  Too bad, because it's a beautiful spot.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »

Vancouver will be in, and I'm betting Montreal as well.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
Vancouver shootin dey own self in de foot by lapsin on de new Stadium.

Ting is...the problem isn't the usual issue of taxpayers protesting having to shell out $ for the stadium.  The owner of the Whitecaps is financing the entire project.  No Federal or Provincial money asked for or required.  Jes stupid Vancouver politics.  First it was the residents saying they're concerned about soccer hooliganism in the downtown area (yet they have no problem with hockey despite the ONLY incidence of fan sporting violence in Vancouver's history took place when they rioted in downtown Vancouver when their team lost in the Stanley Cup).  Then is de Railway doh want to part with land they have no need for insisting that they MIGHT develop it in 50 years.

Dese peeps doh know dey ass from dey elbow.  Typical.  No wonder Vancouver is a loser sporting and entertainment city.  Too bad, because it's a beautiful spot.

They better not sleep... I don't think the league would grant a franchise to a team that doesn't have a plan to move into a soccer-only stadium w/in a couple years.  The league has tried to piggy-back on the existing sporting infrastructure but they long ago realized thru efforts in Columbus, and much later Chicago and Houston... that soccer-only stadiums provide the degree of intimacy and the type of environment that generates passion among fans.  It's actually laid out right here which direction the league is movin in on this issue:

"Get all MLS teams playing in team-owned and operated soccer-only stadiums that are integrated into their communities: Garber said that by 2010, 12 of the league's 16 teams will be in soccer-specific stadiums, including Real Salt Lake's new home opening next season, New York in late 2009, Philadelphia in 2010 and new stadium projects underway in San Jose and Kansas City. "

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »

I don't see both Canadian cities getting franchises before Portland or another US city.  Vancouver I can see... Montreal may have to wait.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2008, 11:39:11 PM »
If the MLS know what good for dem, dey should take heed and stay away from Miami and Las Vegas. Especially Miami.....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »
If the MLS know what good for dem, dey should take heed and stay away from Miami and Las Vegas. Especially Miami.....

Strange too... you'd think SoFla would be a prime market.  I think they just need to package and market the product the right way.  Take heed of the demographics and focus their efforts accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:25:22 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »

I don't see both Canadian cities getting franchises before Portland or another US city.  Vancouver I can see... Montreal may have to wait.

Why Vancouver over Montreal? We already have the stadium, and just won a three team playoff with Vancouver and Toronto to see who represents Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2008, 01:40:56 AM »

Why Vancouver over Montreal? We already have the stadium, and just won a three team playoff with Vancouver and Toronto to see who represents Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Could be sheer ignorance on my part Mose... maybe I'm not appreciating the level of support for and the appeal of the sport among the Québécois, but to me there is more groundswell support for soccer in B.C.  Vancouver is a hotbed of soccer activity in Canada, the sports' roots are well-entrenched there, and a team there would seem a perfect and natural rivalry for the expansion FC Seattle squad.  I'm sure a similar argument can be made relative to a Montreal team and TFC... I just think that in terms of a primacy, Vancouver will come first... with Montreal being a logical target later on.  I could be wrong.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2008, 02:15:41 AM »
cant believe that Miami doesnt have a team I also thought that would be a prime place for a football team.
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »

Strange too... you'd think SoFla would be a prime market.  I think they just need to package and market the product the right way.  Take heed of the demographics and focus their efforts accordingly.

All of the pro teams in Miami fail to draw crowds. The Heat don't consistently sell out, the Dolphins, shyt even when Dan Marino was rippin up de place dey never used to sell out. Even de damn Marlins win ah world series and couldn't pay people to come and see dem play.
No matter how much yuh market yuh team,SoFla have too many other distractions for people to concern dey self bout sports. Sad but true and  de evidence speaks for itself.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
I always thought Rochester would eventually get a team. They have attendance to rival an MLS team, a new stadium, and manage to win the US open cup as an a-league team in the MLS era
Of course, they also buss and get the stadium seized by the city, but they have a new owner with apparently deep pockets.
Might just be a function of market size and a sweet spot.

As for Miami, some places just don't do sports for whatever reason, too much other things to compete for your cash and time, too far to drive, the place hot like hell and you want man to sit outside....
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
All of the pro teams in Miami fail to draw crowds. The Heat don't consistently sell out, the Dolphins, shyt even when Dan Marino was rippin up de place dey never used to sell out. Even de damn Marlins win ah world series and couldn't pay people to come and see dem play.
No matter how much yuh market yuh team,SoFla have too many other distractions for people to concern dey self bout sports. Sad but true and  de evidence speaks for itself.

I was real surprised when the Fusion folded back in the day.  I don't know the area to say what people's tastes are like, but I'm thinking that Miami itself doesn't really have the type of crowd that would support a football team... them transplanted Cubans eh care about no football.  I was thinking given the size of the WI community north of Miami, if they situated it closer to Ft. Lauderdale where man doh have to drive 45 mins to get to the stadium then it might have a shot.  But then you have to turn around and market the team to the community with targeted advertisement, just as DC United did with all dem Central Americans in the DC Metro area.  Outside ah dem you'd swear DC United never had ah chance, de way the team went after dem.

Bitter... I dunno if yuh was being serious, but I doh think it too hot to go check out ah night game down there man.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:57:39 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

Could be sheer ignorance on my part Mose... maybe I'm not appreciating the level of support for and the appeal of the sport among the Québécois, but to me there is more groundswell support for soccer in B.C.  Vancouver is a hotbed of soccer activity in Canada, the sports' roots are well-entrenched there, and a team there would seem a perfect and natural rivalry for the expansion FC Seattle squad.  I'm sure a similar argument can be made relative to a Montreal team and TFC... I just think that in terms of a primacy, Vancouver will come first... with Montreal being a logical target later on.  I could be wrong.
I hear you. However, Montreal is actually very well supported. I'd actually say it is probably one of the best supported teams in the USL, if not the best. Actually one of the reasons we have the new stadium is that the old one was regularly overcrowded. The support is there and the team has always had strong ties to the community.

Vancouver's problem might be, as Palos said, the lack of a stadium. Funding may also be an issue for both teams. Apparently it cost TFC $10mil to join MLS when they did. Not bad, but that fee is projected to rise to at least $40mil by the time Montreal and/or Vancouver are up. I understand the Montreal owners are looking for a partner. Vancouver unless I'm mistaken are having some funding difficulties.

Whatever happens though. I'd like to see all 3 teams in the MLS.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »
Bitter... I dunno if yuh was being serious, but I doh think it too hot to go check out ah night game down there man.
Ah tink Bitter been living in de cold too long! ;D

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

I hear you. However, Montreal is actually very well supported. I'd actually say it is probably one of the best supported teams in the USL, if not the best. Actually one of the reasons we have the new stadium is that the old one was regularly overcrowded. The support is there and the team has always had strong ties to the community.

Vancouver's problem might be, as Palos said, the lack of a stadium. Funding may also be an issue for both teams. Apparently it cost TFC $10mil to join MLS when they did. Not bad, but that fee is projected to rise to at least $40mil by the time Montreal and/or Vancouver are up. I understand the Montreal owners are looking for a partner. Vancouver unless I'm mistaken are having some funding difficulties.

Whatever happens though. I'd like to see all 3 teams in the MLS.

I can tell you now, that Vancouver has no funding problem...as a matter ah fact they have the money and ready and willing to build a new stadium, but as Palos rightly said, politics is keeping them back at the moment. I think Steve Nash is on the team who is funding the new franchise. Vancouver is ready, they jus waiting for the green light.

Big Up!.
Warrior Nation Member

1]; } ?>