March 28, 2024, 05:51:42 AM

Author Topic: Maradona Wants to Coach Argentina  (Read 1395 times)

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maradona Wants to Coach Argentina
« on: April 08, 2006, 06:56:04 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/04/08/argentina.maradona.ap/index.html

Maradona says that he wants to coach Argentina side
Posted: Saturday April 8, 2006 12:51PM; Updated: Saturday April 8, 2006 7:37PM

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- Diego Maradona is considering the possibility of coaching Argentina after the World Cup, and believes Ronaldinho is in a different class to other players.

Maradona made the comments shortly after arriving in Brazil late Friday for an indoor soccer friendly between former national team players from Brazil and Argentina.

"Yeah, I'm considering the possibility of coaching Argentina," Maradona said. "But it's hard to talk about this right now, when we have [Jose] Pekerman on the job and just before the Cup. This is something for the future."

Maradona's agent and former player, Alejandro Mancuso, confirmed the star's intentions.

"His name is always mentioned when there's talk about the national team's coach," Mancuso said. "He wants to do it, of course."

However, Maradona said Pekerman would likely secure his job for a long time if Argentina wins the World Cup in Germany.

"Then I could become an option for the youth squads, or as a coordinator, we'll see," Maradona said.

The Argentine great hailed Brazil midfielder Ronaldinho as the best player in the world, and said he was playing at a different level to other players.

"It's a lot of fun to watch him play," Maradona said. "He does incredible things with the ball."

Ronaldinho, FIFA's player of the year for the past two seasons, helped Brazil win its fifth world title in 2002.

Maradona joined former national team players Mancuso, Jose Basualdo, Sergio Goycochea and Jorge Burruchaga during the friendly drawn 6-6 with a Brazil side including Dunga, Bebeto, Zetti, Aldair, Careca and Muller.

Maradona was named the game's most valuable player.

It was the third match between the squads. Argentina won the first 8-4 in Brasilia, and the teams drew the second 7-7 in Buenos Aires. Another friendly will be played on April 29 in Cordoba, Argentina.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona Wants to Coach Argentina
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
I mean he was a good player but I don't think he posess the mind set to lead a team into international competition. Maybe I am wrong but I can't see him as such an influential coach.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »
maradona is like ah god in argentina,if he off de drugs and get he shit together he may or may not be ah good coach.de man deserve ah try.i hope he could do it.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 10:46:21 PM »
Hope Argentina current coach would pick Messi for he squad.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 08:37:42 AM »
maradona is like ah god in argentina,if he off de drugs and get he shit together he may or may not be ah good coach.de man deserve ah try.i hope he could do it.

As much as I love Maradona, he does NOT deserve a "try" as Coach of the Argentinian Seleccion.  What are you guys smoking?  Can I have a pull too?

What has Maradona ever done as a coach?  NADA.  Nothing.  Zero.  Why then would he be considered for the Coach position for Argentina?  He was approached to be a part of the Peckerman technical staff late last year, but Diego turned it down.

People continue to astound me.  He deserves a try?  What?  ::)  Allyuh think this is Tobago United Under-12 team or what?

Let Diego coach Boca for a season or two, show he has the committment and drive and ability not to quit after the first rough patch, then we will talk about him getting a chance as a ass't coach with some pull on the Seleccion.  Until then, no way.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 09:35:03 AM »
maradonna ever went for coaching courses or has he even coached a team b4? i heard he was a asst for a argentine team b4 but head coach? ???

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »

I am a big Argentine fan, but far too often players feel that they can stroll on to coach National Teams. To"give de man a try"...I eh know bout dat. Diego has proven himself as a player but waht experience does he have as a coach?
I guess the same could have been said for Pasarella, but perhaps as mentioned in the article, he should start off small, with the youth teams in an assistant role and take it from there. Countries like Argentina and Brazil doh make joke with their team. De first loss and de want de coach head....Biesla get some serious pressure especially after the 2002 WC.
well yes

1]; } ?>