March 28, 2024, 09:35:03 AM

Author Topic: Is there any Sport that's doing well in T&T  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is there any Sport that's doing well in T&T
« on: April 18, 2005, 12:17:43 PM »
How do they survive?does any one go to or support any sport?is it because of the cost to attend or the level at which we play that's keeping people away,or even keeping sponsors away.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any Sport that's doing well in T&T
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:47:54 PM »
Is there anything, sport or otherwise, that is doing well in TnT? 

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 02:09:14 PM »
How do they survive?does any one go to or support any sport?is it because of the cost to attend or the level at which we play that's keeping people away,or even keeping sponsors away.

Sport in Trinidad is for the most part recreational. Except for the attempts at a Pro-League in football, the people in general have not yet recognized that there is lots of money to be made in sport. So the Sponsors doh care, there is no marketing, and most people just want to "get ah sweat" nothing more. So asking "how do they survive?" does not apply here, as there is no "they" meaning profit generating organization. Nobody eh going out in droves to watch ah bunch ah people just "getting ah sweat".
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »
Not trying to be sarcastic but are you trying to say those people that representing our country are just getting a swet because really and truely it seems so,what worries me is the money they want or gets for it.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 02:42:34 PM »
Not trying to be sarcastic but are you trying to say those people that representing our country are just getting a swet because really and truely it seems so,what worries me is the money they want or gets for it.
So you are saying that the "they" you are referring to is individuals rather than organizations, such as the NBA, or the NFL or Jack Warner for instance? If so, I repeat, these individuals do not make money in Trinidad. Our world class athletes all ply their trade and make their money outside of the country.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T sports behind the Times
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 06:37:05 PM »
By Terence Hilton-Clarke (The Independent)

October 29th 1999

THE observations of Trinidad and Tobago coach, Grace Parkinson-Griffith, regarding her team’s inability to stand-up physically to its opponents during the recent World Netball Championship in New Zealand, served to highlight both a developmental and a cultural problem.

According to Parkinson-Griffith, net ball has become an increasingly physical discipline, one in which brawn has become almost as important as ability. It is against this background that she commented on the relatively small stature of her players, and the ease with which they were out muscled in one on one situations during the competition.

In fact one player, Lystra Zamore, was forced to miss two consecutive games with a shoulder injury, after being bowled over by her bigger marker during the meeting with Northern Ireland. Such incidents have moved the coach to confirm that weight training will now be a part of the team’s physical preparations in the future.

The above simply represents another reason as to why this country is beginning to flounder in a sporting world that is becoming increasingly professional. We are beginning to pay the price for our repeated failures to institute adequate sports development programs – a by-product of which is weight training.

The highly competitive nature of sport in places such as North America, Europe and Australia has led to a growing demand for proper physical conditioning. Football is a faster game than it was before. Basketball is much more intense. Tennis more demanding. Today's athletes need to be fitter, faster and stronger than those in past generations.

Newer and highly technological methods of physical preparation have created some obvious differences. First of all, it has been noticeable that athletes are actually bigger now than before. For instance, if one was to look at NBA basketball footage from last season (1998-99) and compare it to footage from, let's say, 1981, one of the first noticeable things is how much slimmer the players from back then appear. Today, the average professional basketball player is a neatly chiselled physical specimen: capable of holding off opponents in going for rebounds and loose passes.

The modern athlete is also faster than ever before. Even if one was capable of removing the stigma of performance enhancing drugs, it cannot be denied that today's top sprinters will still be clocking quicker times than those from twenty years ago.

Unfortunately, such modern means have not yet become institutionalized here in Trinidad and Tobago. While there seems to be a steady improvement in training, there is still a dearth of the high level physical preparation techniques that the more established sporting nations are already taking for granted.

But, this is not the only thing that is lacking. In the other regions, particularly North America, there is a solid foundation for these methods, manifested in the excellent physical education program that forms part of the school curriculums. Such programs are one of main reasons behind the athleticism exhibited by many top sportsmen and women from the United States. One only has observe the agility of the players on the world champion U.S. women's soccer team and compare them to their counterparts in Trinidad and Tobago.

Have we been putting sufficient emphasis on physical education in schools?

Based on my experience, probably not. While there were some teachers at my secondary school who “didn't make joke,” and would really put their students through a strenuous exercise regimen, there were others who were content to let us do whatever we wanted. Thus, some of us would go and play football, others went to play basketball and a handful played either tennis or badminton.

Over the years, I haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is much different at other secondary schools: some of which do not even have adequate facilities and may even lack the teaching resources. Also, one may want to ask how highly do we prize physical education in schools. Does the Ministry of Education have any clear guidelines regarding physical education? Is physical education seen as something important, or is it just a recreational diversion for the students?

It will be interesting to see where the school administration stands on this issue.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 08:09:46 PM »
A lot of what you guys are saying makes sense, but is it safe to say that we may not be able to have champion teams because we can't afford to provide for them or prepare them properly.If you really look at the trend our top athletes past or present always had to leave T&T to improve or make it big for themselves.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 09:25:05 PM »
...but is it safe to say that we may not be able to have champion teams because we can't afford to provide for them or prepare them properly.

It is not that we can't afford to do it, it is jes not a priority.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 09:38:10 PM »
...but is it safe to say that we may not be able to have champion teams because we can't afford to provide for them or prepare them properly.

Agreed.
Is just a matter of priority. 
And I doh think is neccesarily a Caribbean thing either cuz to me I seeing some of the other countries getting serious about their programs.  Sometimes I wonder if people back home too jaded to even think about sports.  I doh know what it is but we in a stupour.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 11:30:28 AM »

Agreed!! The priority of the Government is getting re-elected.
Peoples attitude to sport has also changed if I am to believe some of our past greats like Leon Carpett & Spanner. Football is played as always in a small goal fashion or fete match. But as a spectator spor it is dead. Coops I went to see an FA final it did not have 300 people.
the National team will get support but prices are unbelievable. They rather have 6000 people at $100. than 25,000 at $25.00
The only thing running smooth is fete and Carnival.
I also spoke with Gene Samuel. cycling is almost dead as well.

Sad state indeed
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T sports behind the Times
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 07:21:26 PM »

October 29th 1999

THE observations of Trinidad and Tobago coach, Grace Parkinson-Griffith, regarding her team’s inability to stand-up physically to its opponents during the recent World Netball Championship in New Zealand, served to highlight both a developmental and a cultural problem.

According to Parkinson-Griffith, net ball has become an increasingly physical discipline, one in which brawn has become almost as important as ability. It is against this background that she commented on the relatively small stature of her players, and the ease with which they were out muscled in one on one situations during the competition.

In fact one player, Lystra Zamore, was forced to miss two consecutive games with a shoulder injury, after being bowled over by her bigger marker during the meeting with Northern Ireland. Such incidents have moved the coach to confirm that weight training will now be a part of the team’s physical preparations in the future.

That is so true about netball. When i tell ppl especially guys that its not all about girls in skirts doing ballerina like  moves with a ball they laugh.

It is a real physical game and we have leagues going on almost all year round.

You can really get hurt playing the sport believe me I know.  :(

So if you guys are really up to it, the All Sectors League not too long opened. I haven't checked it out yet but it is at the indoor facility in Tacarigua take a Saturady afternoon and go.

Oh yeah and alot of teams get corporate sponsorship. Some even bring out their own teams.

BErmudez, Holiday Foods, Malta Carib, NFM,

People like TSTT even have a team in the league we are really trying to rebuild the sport.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 07:24:49 PM by nobody_s angel »

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 02:32:20 PM »

October 29th 1999

That is so true about netball. When i tell ppl especially guys that its not all about girls in skirts doing ballerina like  moves with a ball they laugh.

It is a real physical game and we have leagues going on almost all year round.

You can really get hurt playing the sport believe me I know.  :(

So if you guys are really up to it, the All Sectors League not too long opened. I haven't checked it out yet but it is at the indoor facility in Tacarigua take a Saturady afternoon and go.

Oh yeah and alot of teams get corporate sponsorship. Some even bring out their own teams.

BErmudez, Holiday Foods, Malta Carib, NFM,

People like TSTT even have a team in the league we are really trying to rebuild the sport.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jess kidding..  ;D

The problem with some of the sports are as many said here, lack of interest hence lack of sponsorship, and lake of marketing ..

but the times are changing, i think things will turn around soon .. i.e next 3 - 5 years regarding other sporting disciplines.. Not sure about Netball tho..  ::) ::) ::) ::)
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »
STEUPS

You just hating. If you really watched the Commonwealth games you would know what i was talking about. Those teams form Australia, New Zealand, England and even Wales are tough, strong and fit.

You should have seen how New Zealand mash up Jamaica. TnT could even qualify for the tournament.  :'(

1]; } ?>