April 19, 2024, 07:21:00 AM

Author Topic: The MLS is no good for T&T players  (Read 5589 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The MLS is no good for T&T players
« on: April 10, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »
The MLS is no good for T&T players will say this until the MLS prove me wrong lets start with Cornell Glen this guy is fast skillful and with enough time he could be one of the best strikers in that league but because of how this league do business its hard to keep players and build a good team its seem like they only focus on local talent prime example Carlos Ruiz was one of the league most lethal strikers when the pick and All STAR team to play Real Madrid he was left out they treat him like crap. Because they want there American players to shine and not foreigners they did the same thing with Mamado Deahlo ist seems like they have an unwritten policy for foreigners (non US players shall not be stars in our league)

That’s just a couple of examples Andy Williams from Jamaica has play for every team in the league I think the most he ever play for team was two years the reason for this is the teams have a salary cap and they rather play a rookie who make 20 thousand a year than an international who ask for more money so all they do is trade him every year and that’s what go to happen to Glenn if he care about his career he would live the MLS.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The MLS is no good for T&T players
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 03:39:23 PM »
D league is a business, not a charity. If our players play well they will be recognised. MLS didnt hurt Stern John.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 03:41:31 PM »
The MLS is no good for T&T players will say this until the MLS prove me wrong lets start with Cornell Glen this guy is fast skillful and with enough time he could be one of the best strikers in that league but because of how this league do business its hard to keep players and build a good team its seem like they only focus on local talent prime example Carlos Ruiz was one of the league most lethal strikers when the pick and All STAR team to play Real Madrid he was left out they treat him like crap. Because they want there American players to shine and not foreigners they did the same thing with Mamado Deahlo ist seems like they have an unwritten policy for foreigners (non US players shall not be stars in our league)

That’s just a couple of examples Andy Williams from Jamaica has play for every team in the league I think the most he ever play for team was two years the reason for this is the teams have a salary cap and they rather play a rookie who make 20 thousand a year than an international who ask for more money so all they do is trade him every year and that’s what go to happen to Glenn if he care about his career he would live the MLS.

LOL  :rotfl: Somethings will never change.  :-\

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »
Stern left at the rite time all the out of all the player to go to that stern was the only player to make his name and if he had stay one more it would have been over for him because he had and injury and they would have wave him in an instant 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 03:48:26 PM »

I see where you're comin from Bally.  Is not REALLY a league for development.  Then again...how to explain Scott Sealey?  Good points but there are some anomalies.  You could also make the same argument for the English and Scottish lower divisions. 

Kenwyne Jones gettin spotty duty.
Imps on de bench right through
Theobald cyah get a game
Sancho and Stern was gettin leff out regular till recently.

Is only really Carlos and to a lesser extent Latas, who have been CONSISTENTLY selected in the first team ON MERIT.  At the end of the day, Ryan is right.  Performance counts.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 03:51:58 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »
sometimes ah feel playing local may be the bess option yes, bc there is nothing i see edwards do that whitley and spann cant do and both have played local, whitley is just raw talent and in reality, what wrong with coming back home if yuh benching and not playing, theobald should 4get falkirk

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 03:54:31 PM »
sometimes ah feel playing local may be the bess option yes, bc there is nothing i see edwards do that whitley and spann cant do and both have played local, whitley is just raw talent and in reality, what wrong with coming back home if yuh benching and not playing, theobald should 4get falkirk

Well...u find Hardest should be playin on de National team right now so MAYBE, jes PERHAPS, dem coaches who does coach fuh a livin might know a lil more dan you.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 04:04:06 PM »
If you are a foreign player you have to come better than the local talent. I think thats what it comes down to in any league (where local talent is not overpriced) - especially with the MLS foreign player restrictions. If you can only have 2 or 3 internationals, why use up spots with players who arent significantly better (or better at all) than the local talent?

Whether that makes the MLS 'bad' for our players or not I dont know. It certainly makes it difficult and very competitive cause instead of fighting for 23 spots it come like you fighting for 2 or 3.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »

Well...u find Hardest should be playin on de National team right now so MAYBE, jes PERHAPS, dem coaches who does coach fuh a livin might know a lil more dan you.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: oh wam easy on him lil bit dey palos
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Tigger

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »

after...

I know from the time TI make that statement.. Palos comment would not be to long coming after..

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 04:43:29 PM »
D league is a business, not a charity. If our players play well they will be recognised. MLS didnt hurt Stern John.

well said.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Isaachunt

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
 De league is bizness??? Too much trading for me yes...Glenn will play for everybody before they ship him back home. At least the money is six to one ;D. Americans don't really care about us. But the league might suit other players and not Glen. Glenn getting a raw deal

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 05:14:48 PM »

Bally, this is a topic I will continue to get myself involved in. You made some relevant points. This is my 2 cent on the situation.

I do not think it have much to do with fighting down a player. There are many international players in the league that are very successful. How come to don't hear of these players being traded or kicked out as much as our players? The MLS and more so the A-League loves to go after Jamaican players. I wonder why?

Trinidadians are naturally talented. I would always share that view. We love skill and are very skillful. However, most of us are very lazy and not that technical. The lazy aspect of our game may stem from all sorts of reasons but the lack of technical ability, can be due to our poor youth programs.

The Jamaicans continue to be a favorite of caribbean players for MLS teams and A-League teams because they work very hard and are naturally very aggressive. Trinidadians on the other hand like skills (which is nothing wrong with that) but we seem to ignore or don't possess the other aspects of their game.

Glenn's failure (constant trading) comes from him not producing the goods. That is, goals!!! Scott Seally is not a fancy player but he scores and works very hard on and off the field. Once he continues to do this he would remain with Kansas and develop his game.

For the most part, coaches do not like to have to deal with foriegn players and the immigration problems. Therefore, that's why they try to find as much local talent as possible. As for the salary cap issue, if a player is worthy of getting 20,000 or 250,000 then they would get it.

I would like for you to recommend a league that our players should go too or be successful in? I think  Palos round it up very nicely for me as well.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 06:37:39 PM »
I looked at it, the mls is used as development for local player (American) but not for imnports. Unless, You are over 40 and is regared as a great player throughout the world (Valderama, mathias etc.). They use these older experienced players for the younger American players to learn from. That's how I see it.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 06:47:58 PM »
Well said Kingman! Players like Valderamma, Mattheus and Djorkaeff have proven them selves at the highest level of competition and the MLS brings them in for mainly exposure and crowd pulling power. Otherwise its a feeder for the US national team, they make the rules to prevent against d influx of foreign players who are average at best. MLS teams will embrace players like stern who at that time of his career was ambitious and was never really trying to stay in d states but use the  league as a platform for his move to england. Remember d reason forrest sell stern cheap was cause of the clause in his transfer once he scored more than 15 goals dey would have to pay more and forrest couldnt afford him.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 07:31:06 PM »
I bet Sealy would get traded next season and Glenn did score when he played. The point I tried to make was our player should try to play for a league that suite us not always run to England and the US I have been following the MLS since the first season and our players do not benefit form this league plain and simple. 

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 08:11:12 PM »
Lemme rile alyuh up lil bit.

Alyuh ever consider we players not better..... than the Average Yank who could follow instructions.

and for all the lil skills they bring, in the long run they ent good enough to Merit a international spot which could be used for an aging Established star that would pull crowd and sell tickets.

Lemme give all of the MLS hopefuls a lil piece of advice.....when yuh reach up there love up a yankee ting good. Get Married, get yuh green card and then yuh will be on even footing...at least you will not be taking up a Intl spot. After that if yuh still cyar cut it know yuh not up to scratch.

But how come Tyrone Marshall does start and play well for he side....same for Shalarie Joseph. What about Ralph...he still in the league?

Point is yuh have to come good and perform. Hard work and talent will be recognised.

Lastly I think our players benefit...they are in a better state than if they were at home in the pfl. (1) better training, medical staff etc. All of them does at least come back strong up. They play games or at least train in a more competitive environment.(3) They get to see and experience another part of the world and different culture(4) The pay is higher...is US we talking bout very few PFL players pulling over 10,000TT.

It is a good learning curve....and it makes them get out of the small pond "starboy" fishbowl mentality that they develop down here.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 09:50:10 PM »
At the end of the day, Ryan is right.  Performance counts.

I don't agree.

It have plenty more than performance.

More like performance far above and beyond the average.
Jason Scotland....nothing exceptional about his case...it just illustrates the higher standard.  Nothing wrong with that from dem perspective but our players need to move to suit.  You cah just wish on a star give me Latas skills.  You think Shaka woulda have such an easy time in the earlies if he was an "outsider".  He was a prospect for the English team and any problems he get would have come after he start playing for us and done already develop (the real reason he held out doh care what nobody say)

Maybe Cornell went too early?  Or maybe he should have just come back once he see they start  &^%& around.

What about Ince.  Is it worth getting paid X amount of pounds to lose the best playing days of your life.  In Ince case it would probably be more a case of dropping a division than going back PFL.  Same for Rahim...he eventually had to leave the money anyway and go back home.

As for Touches suggestion...well that is what Ames did and it worked for him.  He was fighting an uphill battle as an "outsider" and still manage to progress but I'm sure the removal of that "outsider" tag helped alot.  Unfortunately not all our players going to go this route and most of them not going abroad ready to perform at the level of Latas.

Can't complain what the people want for their own country...not their fault yours doh have the same opportunity.

Choosing when you go abroad has to be something our players careful about.  Especially which clubs and managers they go to.  Is Denzil developing more in the Falkirk reserves than in the PFL?  Who knows.
I don't blame Spann for being choosy (if is really up to him).  Some tings better to walk away even if the money looking good.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 08:06:37 AM »
As i always say at the end of the day we are nothing more than an island boy who trying to make a living in America and as soon as yuh not performing up to par they ship yuh out because they know it have more of you where you come from and the coaches and the MLS just looking for players that can come in and make an immediate impact if not they cut yuh head. want an example look at Brent Rahim, Travis Mulraine. Its all marketing anyone here think Freddy Adu Will ever be as good as they portraying him to be in the future? it all Marketing Marketing Marketing.....

Ricardo
All American

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 09:13:10 AM »
This is just my two cents,nobody's league is really for our players, is we have to make it our league by our commitment and the way we can adapt ourselves and play.

What do we expect the MLS to do for our players when they have their US players to take care off,their players will always Be taken cared of first and that's understandable,it's the reason they have that league in the first place to keep their players playing at a reasonable good level,if our players want to play their it's their choice,i bet you if you ask any of those players playing in the MLS if they would play in the league at home they will say No.

In T&T is the other way around we take care of the foreigners,they get more money than locals,even more of them play in our leagues than our locals etc so why blame another league for not taking care of your players when you are not taking care of your own.

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 11:14:58 AM »
excellents points coops. ;D

yuh hit de nail on de head there.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 11:27:16 AM »
i agree 100%, i never feel anything good will come out of a mls contract for any of our players.. i find in some cases it does stun dey growth... i doh even like d fact that our players does sign for lower leagues in england... the truth is they generally don't respect our players, if we were brazilians or sumtin we'd a get more sweat and more lucrative deals, imagine a flicking shitsnake like rockemback actually get to play for barca!!! why because he's a damn brazilian who look like he could kick ball (doh mind he playing some good ball for boro rite now)

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 11:29:26 AM »

Bally, this is a topic I will continue to get myself involved in. You made some relevant points. This is my 2 cent on the situation.

I do not think it have much to do with fighting down a player. There are many international players in the league that are very successful. How come to don't hear of these players being traded or kicked out as much as our players? The MLS and more so the A-League loves to go after Jamaican players. I wonder why?

Trinidadians are naturally talented. I would always share that view. We love skill and are very skillful. However, most of us are very lazy and not that technical. The lazy aspect of our game may stem from all sorts of reasons but the lack of technical ability, can be due to our poor youth programs.

The Jamaicans continue to be a favorite of caribbean players for MLS teams and A-League teams because they work very hard and are naturally very aggressive. Trinidadians on the other hand like skills (which is nothing wrong with that) but we seem to ignore or don't possess the other aspects of their game.

Glenn's failure (constant trading) comes from him not producing the goods. That is, goals!!! Scott Seally is not a fancy player but he scores and works very hard on and off the field. Once he continues to do this he would remain with Kansas and develop his game.

For the most part, coaches do not like to have to deal with foriegn players and the immigration problems. Therefore, that's why they try to find as much local talent as possible. As for the salary cap issue, if a player is worthy of getting 20,000 or 250,000 then they would get it.

I would like for you to recommend a league that our players should go too or be successful in? I think  Palos round it up very nicely for me as well.

Kingman
that man make rel sense... i remember a article had say once... an american coach watch the trinidadians  nd said the trinis have it in the feet but not they brain...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 12:26:49 PM »
Which league is good for T&T players ?

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 12:48:37 PM »
Holland,Spain could be a good league  we should try other leagues in Europe to often our players want to go England or Scotland   and that’s it there’s allot more leagues Europe where some off our players could go and play well notice I didn’t develop I think the developing should be done at home  when a player lives T&T they should be ready for the big leagues 

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 01:28:46 PM »
Holland,Spain could be a good league  we should try other leagues in Europe to often our players want to go England or Scotland   and that’s it there’s allot more leagues Europe where some off our players could go and play well notice I didn’t develop I think the developing should be done at home  when a player lives T&T they should be ready for the big leagues 

You make it sound as it's as simple as "trying other leagues".......a player doesn't just jump on a plane and "try out" a league.....at least I don't think so.

Where do our players' agents have contacts and established networks ?

Which leagues around the world are interested in scoping and trying out our talent ?

If our players went to Holland & Spain and failed (very likely), we'd be singing the same song about the league not "being good for our players"......

I have the feeling it's the other way around.......it's not about the league not being good for our players........the majority of our players aren't good enough for the league......... and furthermore, our infrastructure is not well developed enough to have our players marketed and scouted sufficiently by key people outside of England & the U.S.....Maybe if we looked it at that way, and tried to figure out what it takes to develop our players.....and turn our own infrastructure around, to make it globally competitive in the interest of exposure.........we might make some progress.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »
When you read some of the comments on this site you wonder whether or we are all on the same planet ... our players, while they have talent, are not being developed properly, hence the reason they are unable to sustain a high level of play consistently.  Currently we have a national team playing in the Dallas Cup and losing too a US club team (not even the best team in the team's respective state).  Just a few months ago our U21 tied with the US U16 ... that is the lack of vision as it relates to our "development program".  We need to provide funding to hire someone of Don Leo status to implement a development program that will facilitate a style of play, discipline etc. from youth program all the way up to senior team.  There is alo a mental aspect to the game, we need to TAKE CARE and develop our talent properly, because the entire world is full of talent, but talent alone will not get you there.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »
Which league is good for T&T players ?

The local Pro League,for sure they will play consistantly.

Offline Benjie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »
The players who have had good careers played where they were best suited.  Players from Trinidad because of the type of game most players need to go to a flair league not one dependent on organisational skills, or strength or conservative play. They need to really look at their natural abilities and then the basic characteristics of the league before they decide to try out. Most just go where they read about and then wonder why they cannot make it. I am sure that many of our skilled players would have been better suited to the Spanish or Portugeese second division as an entry league than one of the British leagues.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 06:50:19 PM »
When you read some of the comments on this site you wonder whether or we are all on the same planet ... our players, while they have talent, are not being developed properly, hence the reason they are unable to sustain a high level of play consistently.  Currently we have a national team playing in the Dallas Cup and losing too a US club team (not even the best team in the team's respective state).  Just a few months ago our U21 tied with the US U16 ... that is the lack of vision as it relates to our "development program".  We need to provide funding to hire someone of Don Leo status to implement a development program that will facilitate a style of play, discipline etc. from youth program all the way up to senior team.  There is alo a mental aspect to the game, we need to TAKE CARE and develop our talent properly, because the entire world is full of talent, but talent alone will not get you there.
read my post good i said our player should be developed before they go out and play. not just say boy I want to play in Holland  you missed my point you guy act like we have a bunch of shithongs 

1]; } ?>