April 29, 2024, 05:15:12 AM

Author Topic: Midfield Workhorses  (Read 4548 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Midfield Workhorses
« on: April 11, 2006, 04:29:34 PM »
Me and meh boy check out de NY Red Bull - New England game dis weekend and dey had a big splash celebratin football in NY recognizing past greats from de Cosmos and Metro Stars.  Donadoni (among odders) were featured, for me he was one of the best midfield workhorses in our generation.  Anyways, now this article appears on Fifa yahoo, check it out...

Quiet men with a big say
11 April 2006
by FIFAworldcup.com[/b]

Success on the world's biggest stage is impossible without the unsung heroes, the ball-winners, the man-markers.
For every Pele, Diego Maradona or Michel Platini, a team needs, just as importantly, its near-anonymous water-carriers willing to suffer selflessly for the cause. Join FIFAworldcup.com for a look back at those underrated and unheralded hustlers of finals past.

Brazil mean business
From 1958 to 1962, the Seleção were predicated primarily, and predictably, on the dazzling skill and improvisation of a young Pele, Garrincha and midfield maestro Didi. Throughout, however, the brawny and energetic Zito was there to provide the bite and bark. Known as the only player in the side willing to shout orders at young prodigy Pele, Zito – who was also Pele's captain at Santos – cut an intimidating figure in the holding midfield role. In the end, it was his hard graft, as much as the style and panache of his more celebrated colleagues, that helped bring Brazil their first two world titles.

By 1970, at the height of Brazil's reign as the champions of romantic football and improvisational genius, it was the turn of a young Clodoaldo to link it all together in the defensive midfield role. While Gerson would rampage forward to join up with Pele, Tostao and Jairzinho, Clodoaldo – also of Santos, and a polished performer himself – would hang back diligently, always at the ready to snuff out any emerging counterattack.

After Pele and Co had taken hold of the Jules Rimet Cup for a third and final time in 1970, there followed a trophy-less period of nearly a quarter of a century for the Seleção. Although they continued to produce some of the most gifted and exciting sides in memory, new tactics and a changing football landscape appeared to have left Brazil out in the cold. It was only when their uncompromising devotion to all-out attack was watered down at the start of the 1990s, with the unpopular inclusion of defensive midfielders Dunga (translated as 'Dopey' in reference to one of Disney's Seven Dwarves) and Mauro Silva, that the land of sunshine and Samba was able to reign supreme once again

At USA 94, this midfield pair teamed up to do the unspectacular dirty work that allowed the likes of Romario to star as the modern-day FIFA World Cup™ Trophy was taken home to Brazil for the first time. Dunga, named captain to the consternation of some in his homeland, even helped create the crucial third goal in the classic 3-2 quarter-final win over the Netherlands.
After reaching the Final again in 1998, Brazil journeyed to Korea/Japan in 2002 to take home their fifth world title. This time few were surprised at the inclusion of Gilberto Silva, then of Atletico Mineiro. With Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo weaving their magic triangle, Gilberto would have his work cut out snuffing out the danger that would inevitably arise when any of the attacks broke down. His success in doing so can be best judged by the fact that Brazil head to Germany as holders.

Deschamps, Stiles get results
When hosts France spoiled Brazil's party in 1998, hammering the holders and favourites 3-0 in the final in Paris, it was the name of Zinedine Zidane that was on everyone's lips. Many experts, however, pointed to the role of Didier Deschamps in the middle of the park. Dismissively labelled "merely a water-carrier" before the tournament by Manchester United legend Eric Cantona, it was his gritty devotion that provided a solid base for France to push on towards their first-ever FIFA World Cup, a feat the glamour teams of Platini's generation never managed.

Perhaps the archetypal midfield workhorse was Norbert 'Nobby' Stiles of England. In 1966, the Manchester United midfielder did all the hard work while the more stylish and elegant Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore took the applause. Short, skinny and without a row of teeth following an on-field collision, Stiles suffered from a severe short-sightedness that would often result in him 'mistiming' a challenge or two.

The high point of his international career came when called upon by England manager Alf Ramsey to neutralise Portugal's prolific Eusebio in their Wembley semi-final in 1966. After terrorising Portugal's previous opponents with his pace, strength and superior vision, the tournament top scorer was forced on to the fringes of the game by England's dogged little terrier. The hosts went on to hoist the Jules Rimet Trophy for the first and only time, thanks in no small measure to the rough-and-tumble approach of one Nobby Stiles.
Argentina, led by the uncompromising Antonio Rattin in 1966, were considered one of the toughest sides in the world but it was not until 1978 that the South Americans finally made their reputation count when, as hosts, they rode the goals of Mario Kempes to a first victory on the world stage. Daniel Pasarella was a tough customer at the back, but the team's ball-winner was Americo Gallego. Currently coach of Mexican outfit Toluca, 'Tolo' - as he was nicknamed – would stop at nothing to claim possession in midfield before leaving it to one of his more cultured team-mates, such as Osvaldo Ardiles, to supply the killer pass.

In 1986, while Maradona was justifiably garnering the plaudits, Hector Enrique – an anonymous late selection by manager Carlos Bilardo – ran himself into the ground winning the ball before feeding it to El Diego. As the man who provided Maradona with the ball prior to his famous mazy dribble against England, Enrique is known to joke: "Diego's great goal only happened because of my pass."

Oriali inspires a song
Four years earlier at Spain 82, as Maradona was making his debut on the world stage, a seemingly prosaic Italy outfit somehow managed to scale the heights and capture their third FIFA World Cup. Paolo Rossi supplied most of the goals, Giancarlo Antognoni was the creator, Claudio Gentile the man-marker... and Gabriele Oriali the tackler. Brilliant in the Final against West Germany's Uli Stielike, the Inter man kept alive the selfless tradition begun in 1934 by Luisito Monti and continued in 1938 by Pietro Sarantoni and happily, for once, the unsung hero was not forgotten as famous Italian singer Luciano Ligabue dedicated his song Una vita da mediano (The life of a workhorse) to Oriali.

Germany have always been renowned for their competitive spirit. With that in mind, it is no surprise they have had among their ranks some of the most tireless workers in finals history. When they won their second title in 1974, all the talk was about their libero, Franz Beckenbauer, but alongside the Kaiser was his Bayern team-mate and enforcer, Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck, a merciless man-marker and ball-winner of the highest order. Known as the Kaiser's bodyguard, he played a prominent role in West Germany's success.
Guido Buchwald kept up the tradition in 1990 when a highly-disciplined Germany team, led by Lothar Matthaus, himself no slouch in terms of work-rate, stormed through to win their third world title. At the second-round match against the Netherlands, the unspectacular Buchwald, not known for his technical ability, put in such a wonderful performance that his team-mates took to calling him 'Diego', in reference to the great Maradona, whom he went on to neutralise so effectively in the Final.

As the game and its tactics evolve, the modern player requires, more than ever, to be equal parts creator and workhorse. Today, everyone - regardless of reputation or position - must put in the work, which may lead to the demise not only of the classic playmaker, but also the traditional midfield water-carrier.

Still, keep an eye on Messrs Makelele, Emerson and Gattuso this summer to see if any of the modern-day toilers can prevail in Germany.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 04:32:09 PM by nachilus »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Midfield Workhorses
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »
nice post... but what happen to Whitely?

eh?
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:36:41 PM »
Correct, well said Jefferz, add Whitley and Birchall to dat list for team TT 2K6, bless up!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 04:45:02 PM »
Correct, well said Jefferz, add Whitley and Birchall to dat list for team TT 2K6, bless up!

When you think about it...

yea anyone can say whatever they want about the players in highest regard... but when it comes to really working hard in the midfeild there are almost none that put more effort into it... look at the Stern John Mexico Goal... that is the PERFECT EXAMPLE of what a real workhorse on the squad brings....

Not tacking anything away from the strike of course, it was unbelivable more so considering it was hit with his weeker foot, but the whole reason that goal was possible was becuase Whitely had worked the ball around the box quickly and even when it fell to a Mexican player he didnt stop there and allow his other midfeilders to hopefully pick up the slack... he went at the man hard... and as a result the Mexican tried to clear it to his teamate and ended up slices it off his knee and of course... it fell perfectly for Stern....

now 19 out of 20 times that Aurtis Whitely tackle would have gone anywhere but Stern... and Aurtis knows that... so the fact that he kept battling shows you how badly he wants to win... it also shows how that hard work can pay off in a most gratuitous way.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 04:48:02 PM by Jefferz »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
I like the Portugese player Manuel Fernandes from Benfica.  I think we can watch out for this guy.  Excellent young player in the midfield workhorse aka Makelele role.  He excelled all Champions League this year.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »
I didnt like him but i used to respect what Simione for Argentina/Lazio/inter Milan use to do make him a good workhorse......
Gattuso real good in that role now but the boss in that position would always be Davids for Juventus.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 06:54:12 PM »
I like the Portugese player Manuel Fernandes from Benfica.  I think we can watch out for this guy.  Excellent young player in the midfield workhorse aka Makelele role.  He excelled all Champions League this year.
Palos i was thinking to myself Arsenal could use this guy very good work rate
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »
Wen u talk bout workhorses in the middle..........Gattuso, Davids Simione etc come to mind...........no setta skill.but 200% heart and grit..

dem fellas is d  most importan players to me, on a field..........Chelsea only looks fluent wen Macka handles things, Arsenal- Silva, Liverpool- Alonso.........these guys are the reasons why teams look so good sometimes.......

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 08:39:43 PM »
doh worry after WC ppl will know about Whitley and Me Mum

Gattuso and Davids should be mentioned too, I agree Jay10

Park Ji-Sung is another...i wonder what they does be feeding him...Scott Parker...Emerson too

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 08:44:32 PM »
doh worry after WC ppl will know about Whitley and Me Mum

Gattuso and Davids should be mentioned too, I agree Jay10

Park Ji-Sung is another...i wonder what they does be feeding him...Scott Parker...Emerson too

yea Park Ji Sung definately.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 08:46:58 PM »
In all the football I watching all over the world Gattuso to me is the hardest working player around. I would still give Makelele the edge over him though.Maks passes more accurately than Gattuso and is stronger than him.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 12:22:42 AM »
Wen u talk bout workhorses in the middle..........Gattuso, Davids Simione etc come to mind...........no setta skill.but 200% heart and grit..

Davids?  No setta skills?  You jokin right?

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 12:23:53 AM »

Davids?  No setta skills?  You jokin right?

ENT... i really wanna hear this... Simone and Davids no skills... both of those fellahz could juggle a ball on their arse... i wouldnt say no skillz and stick to the none scliche 100%

Offline madmonn

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 01:10:06 AM »

dem fellas is d  most importan players to me, on a field..........Chelsea only looks fluent wen Macka handles things, Arsenal- Silva, Liverpool- Alonso.........these guys are the reasons why teams look so good sometimes.......
Davids is ah man have plenty skill but he has the discipline to work hard for 90 minutes and sense of when to turn on that bit of flair.

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 03:53:50 AM »
ah man who i always like in da position is tacchinardi in he juve days (playing for villareal now sadly)

& how allyuh cud talk about men playing in dey withoout talking about 2 of the biggest heavywieghts ever....keane & viera  ???

pirlo & demichelles from bayern is ah nex pair too.

michael carrick eh look too bad playing there for engalnd in dey last game
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:56:58 AM by scarface »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 06:17:07 AM »
Mario Silva was the master at it. Today the up and coming, some already mentioned like Fernandez and I would include Diaharra (Lyon), Appiah (Ghana), Diaby (Arsenal). But the Barca pair of Motta & Edmilson done a great job. In CONCACAF Mexico had Marquez doing the job
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 06:47:28 AM »
D boss is Makelele...
When Real sell him the president say rhey swapping a player who can pass the ball 10 yards for one who can pass 100 yards, comparing him and Beckham. What people who doh know football doh understand is that first 10 yards is the most important cause is usually the pass to take the ball away from your area.

The real workhorse, and most underrated player though is : Hutson ''Barber'' Charles...has Trinidad has a true one since'?
And men couldn't understand whye Gally didn't play Latas and Yorke together...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 06:55:52 AM »
Yes Spidey we have had a few since.

Workhorse, tackle wise defensive mid player......Currently Me Mum,

before he was Ronnie Mauge and before he Reynold Carrington.

In between them Rougier when he used to play def mid was a boss with he strongman self and composed nature.

You could say this man is a shithound but Dale Saunders used to put in the midfield bite for us when the player pool was thin.

And lets not forget the player we love to hate.....David Nahkid.That was he role and he was capable.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 07:32:23 AM »

In between them Rougier when he used to play def mid was a boss with he strongman self and composed nature.

You could say this man is a shithound but Dale Saunders used to put in the midfield bite for us when the player pool was thin.

And lets not forget the player we love to hate.....David Nahkid.That was he role and he was capable.

David Nakhid was a great ORGANIZER of the midfield, but to say he perform a role similar to Makelele, Davids etc is blasphemy.  Nakhid couldn't tackle to save he life.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 07:49:33 AM »
I've always found the DM position(s) to receive less credit (perhaps biased from my own standpoint) than the AM or forward positions (as the article points out), but without Whitley, Birchall for TT (the whole team as well of course) some of our victories would not have been possible.  These are the "intangible" players to some degree that inspire and facilitate team success.  Add Alemao and Dunga to de list dat has been started of past great DMs....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 07:57:02 AM by nachilus »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 07:52:18 AM »
I agree Palos.

Nakhid was a good passer and liked to pass from deep but he was no midfield workhorse. Also it seems that he didn't like the role.

I will always remember during the 2000 GC final.

Late in the game we need a goal and Nakhid up in front, well in advance of Latapy in the box and don't want to come back and I remember cussing and thinking, why this man don't hold he corner in support of Latapy and let Latas do the business.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 08:23:19 AM »

You kind of reinforced my point there...Carrington played in the back and was pushed into a midfeild role for the national team, plus he wasn't starting consistently for the national team. They try that with Lawrence around that time too !?!

Nahkid was a deep lying playmaker, Birchall is a winger, Aurtis is an attacking midfielder, Rougier was a utility player used there as well.
Carrington is the only man who played midfield or sweeper for his team (Connection)..the rest of them just served the purpose on the national team but that was not their position.

Tallman...longtime we eh see your skills, let we see if you have a list of men used in that role since Hutson Charles retire.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 08:28:43 AM »
Tallman...longtime we eh see your skills, let we see if you have a list of men used in that role since Hutson Charles retire.

Ahmmm...jes curious.  What role exactly you have Hutson Charles playin on de National team?  Not defensive midfielder right?  Jes clarifyin.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 09:32:25 AM »
"Aurtis is an attacking midfielder"

yes but he can also switch into a defensive midfeilder very easily...

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 09:41:50 AM »

Ahmmm...jes curious.  What role exactly you have Hutson Charles playin on de National team?  Not defensive midfielder right?  Jes clarifyin.

Not the same type of defensive midfield like a Makelele, but more a work-horse where he always harrying and putting in tackle to complement the playmaking skills of Latas. You don't find that's what his role was on the strike squad?

1]; } ?>