March 28, 2024, 01:08:00 PM

Author Topic: Jason Scotland Thread  (Read 52396 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason Scotland's trip from Laventille school reject to UK star
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »
The remarkable Jason Scotland
By Lasana Liburd (wired868.com)

Can you recall a day in your life that you wish you could take back?

Jason “Scotty” Scotland, a former trainee electrician from a poor neighbourhood in Morvant, Trinidad, does.

His mother, Ann, now lives in a comfortable and sizeable two-storey home in Barataria. He drives a Range Rover. This July, in his ninth consecutive season in Britain, he signed a new deal with English Championship Division club, Ipswich Town.

At 33, Scotland is living the dream of millions of males worldwide; he is a Europe-based professional footballer. And yet, it might have been so much more.

As former England star Paul Gascoigne once poignantly described his own career, Scotland, a World Cup 2006 squad member, fulfilled his dreams but not his potential. One moment is particularly hard to dislodge when he traces over his career.

His mind wanders back ever so often to the afternoon of 26 September 2009.

The then Trinidad and Tobago international striker was making his England Premier League debut for Wigan Athletic at home to Chelsea. The London outfit was the Premiership’s defending champ and, steered by Coach Carlo Ancelotti, had not been defeated in seven months.

But Scotland could have changed that.

The score was tied at 1-1 when Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech brought down Wigan attacker Hugo Rodellaga and was sent off. And, for what seemed an eternity, the ball lay unattended in the penalty area.

Then Rodellaga, a Colombian international, scooped it up and converted as Wigan went on to win 3-1 and stole back page headlines all over the country.

Scotland had been the regular penalty taker at Swansea under manager Roberto Martinez and Coach Graeme Jones who brought him along when they were promoted to the Wigan post.

In the midst of Wigan’s post-game celebrations, Jones called Scotland aside.

“Why didn’t you take it?” he asked. “You’re our man.”

Scotland smiled back sheepishly.

“Yeah, I know,” he replied.

Scotland silently vowed to take his next opportunity. Only that was it. It was another six months before he got his first and only Wigan goal and he never got a penalty for the Premiership team.

Read More

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:45:40 AM by Flex »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Scotland's trip from Laventille school reject to UK star
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »
good read.

i think it had a player strike or some bacchannal (same shit) around the time scotty emerge for T&T too and he get a run and mashup finland.

i think hannibal was coach then. 2003?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »
Carpe diem, my friend. Seize the day.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2012, 09:45:51 AM »
Good to see him make it and be successful....

The most important statement he make was with regard to the PFL.

It is hard to motivate yourself with 200 people in the stands.

Unless we get this aspect fixed we will never see our true potential as a football nation.

Plenty players with Scotland ability in TnT.

Plently dwight yorkes and stern johns running around tnt right now.

But so showcase for the talent
no motivation to keep going.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
Good to see him make it and be successful....

The most important statement he make was with regard to the PFL.

It is hard to motivate yourself with 200 people in the stands.

Unless we get this aspect fixed we will never see our true potential as a football nation.

Plenty players with Scotland ability in TnT.

Plently dwight yorkes and stern johns running around tnt right now.

But so showcase for the talent
no motivation to keep going.

:beermug:

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »
might be jumping the gun here, considering the second part hasn't been published yet, but its either the author purposely published inaccurate history or edited the story to make it a bit more dramatic.

.....waiting on the second part.............

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
Lasana: Rodellaga ... Rodallega

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
Thanks Asylum Seeker. And adjusted.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
I don't know if is how the article was written but I get the impression that Scotland had no secondary education until he was 16.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
VB, that is both how the story was written and the reality. After post primary, Scotland did not re-enter school until he was 16. I believe Arnold Dwarika would have a similar story.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scotland on UK football, Roy Keane and his T&T career
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
Toasting Scotland the Brave.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com).

Technically competent, strong as an ox, a deft dribbler and a fierce striker of the ball with either foot, Jason Scotland was well worth whatever trouble he may have given the coach when he arrived in Dundee...

Fortunate to be signed by Dundee United after scoring twice in a rare outing for his country against rival club Dundee, “Scotty” thrilled fans with his skills and personality but the tangible returns, he concedes, remained modest.

Worse, he could be a handful at times. Not that there was a super-sized ego to pamper or an uncontrollable, rebellious nature requiring circumspection; what was on offer was just a cheeky, fun-loving man-child in need of guidance.

Scotland’s pre-history as the product of a poor, single-parent household in Laventille who had grown up idolizing minor league players meant that he needed an occasional arm around his shoulder and a word of advice here and there about how to succeed in a professional environment.

Dundee United coach Ian McCall was happy to provide both. He was pleased too with Scotty’s start to life in the Scottish Premiership League (SPL) although he thought his Trinidad and Tobago recruit could work harder on the defensive side of the game. He made his feelings on the issue quite clear early on.

Despite the fact that he had only just graduated from Defence Force to the SPL, Scotland’s response was less than conciliatory.

“But,” he said, “(Brazil football legend) Ronaldo doesn’t track back.”

“You,” McCall replied, “are not f*****g Ronaldo!”

Scotland grinned; McCall glared. Not for long. Within seconds, both men were laughing heartily. McCall knew his point had been made; Scotty knew that the point had to be taken.

He was not a player who thrived on criticism or who could be left alone to get on with the job. For all his bluster, Scotland’s gifts need to be coaxed out.

Perhaps that was why his talent was rarely evident in Trinidad and Tobago’s colours.

The first time Scotland was selected on a national team—although just at Under-20 level—he was so proud that he slept all night in his red, black and white kit.

Coincidentally, a Scottish coach gave him his international senior debut. It was the late Sunderland standout and ex-Chelsea coach Ian Porterfield who called him up for a 15 November 2000 World Cup qualifier against Panama at the Queen’s Park Oval in Port of Spain. T&T won 1-0 but Scotty, then only 21, did not distinguish himself.

Trinidad and Tobago had qualified for the final CONCACAF group stage with two games to spare and Porterfield opted to experiment. In what was a golden era for strikers in the twin-island republic, Scotland found the going tough as just one of a battery of talented strikers.

During Porterfield’s year-and-a-half stint, he was so spoiled for choice that he capped all of Dwight Yorke (Manchester United-England), Stern John (Nottingham Forest-Eng), Jerren Nixon (SC St Gallen-Switzerland), Hector Sam (Wrexham-England), Gary Glasgow (Kansas City Wizards-US), Arnold Dwarika and Nigel Pierre (both Joe Public) and the now deceased pair of Mickey Trotman (Rochester Rhinos-US) and Rolston James (Jabloteh) while other capable attackers like Trent Noel (Police) and Angus Eve (Joe Public) were used in midfield.

By Scotland’s last international game, nine years later, he had managed a decent but unspectacular tally of eight goals from 21 starts and 17 substitute appearances.

He was only 30-years-old at the time and still an England Premiership player with Wigan Athletic but he rarely felt appreciated within the national set-up. Eventually, the thought of spending the five-day international break with his wife and daughters instead became too appealing.

“Club football definitely saw the better side of me,” he told Wired868. “Maybe I didn’t push hard enough and take my chances. I tried to give my best but I was always in and out of the team and I always felt like a fringe player.

“I felt that, with the national team, the players who were not starting never got much attention or respect. We were not made to feel like we were part of the squad.”

Still, Scotland’s UK-career took time to flourish as, at the age of 24, he set about learning about the professional game abroad.

“In Trinidad, teams started slow and built up momentum whereas in Scotland it was pace from the whistle,” he said. “So I tended to tire quickly and was always the first person to be subbed. They started using me as an impact player off the bench instead.”

Scotland scored just eight goals in two seasons for Dundee United but his last item was a winner against Hibernian in the 2003/04 Scottish Cup semi-final at Glasgow’s Hampden Park. It booked United’s place in the next season’s UEFA Cup and he had already accepted a two-and-a-half-year deal from McCall.

But his dreams of European glory were shattered when his work permit application was controversially rejected and he was deemed to be of insufficient calibre for the SPL. Would-be conspiracy theorists noted the fact that several committee members had ties to Hibernian.

“I thought that was the end of my (European) career,” said Scotland. “I felt I had made so much progress and now, after playing in front of 60,000 fans at (Celtic’s) Parkhead, I would have to go back to 200 supporters in Trinidad. I was distraught.”

But Owen Coyle, an assistant coach at Dundee United and former Bolton striker, had just landed the managerial job at Scottish First Division team St Johnstone and he offered Scotland a marriage of convenience that benefited both men.

“Coyle was amazing to me as a player and a person,” said Scotland. “He taught me more about movement and how to operate in the (penalty) box.”

At St Johnstone, Scotland scored 33 times in two seasons at an average of a goal every other game.

During that period, the “Soca Warriors” qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany and Scotland made the cut while the Scottish nation missed out—a fact that was taken in good part as evidenced by a hilarious 29-second advert by energy drink, Irn Bru.

Scotland only played six times under internationally renowned Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker but he remains a huge fan of “Don Leo”.

“When you were not playing,” said Scotland, “he would say: ‘Don’t be mad with the guy playing ahead of you, be mad with me because I picked him.’

“Beenhakker was the ultimate coach for me. He could be serious but he would also joke around and he spoke to everyone with respect. There was no first team and second team with him, just one squad.

“I felt Beenhakker took care of his entire squad and I don’t think many other national managers did that.”

In his second season at St Johnstone, Scotland was selected to the First Division Team of the Year and was not short of SPL clubs willing to apply for a fresh work permit for him. But he chose England League One club Swansea where he joined former Defence Force teammate and friend Dennis Lawrence under Spanish coach Roberto Martinez.

The Trinidadian replaced Swansea icon Lee Trundle who had scored 21 goals in his last season and the Welsh fans were vociferous in their disapproval of the swap.

Scotland answered with the League One’s top mark of 29 goals in his first season as Swansea, playing an attractive passing game, won promotion to the Championship Division. There, there were 24 more goals, a stat bettered only by Wolves striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. That season was also the third successive one that Scotland was named on the Division’s Team of the Year.

Martinez moved to Wigan in the England Premier League and wanted Scotland to join him; Coyle had just gotten Burnley promoted to the EPL and also made him an offer.  Scotland chose Wigan.

Months earlier, even as Scotland plundered goals at Swansea, then Trinidad and Tobago coach Francisco Maturana selected a 26-man squad for an eagerly anticipated friendly against England and found room for unattached attacker Darryl Roberts and even amateur schoolboy Jamal Gay.

There was no space for Scotland and not even the courtesy of  a phone call to explain the omission.

The fixture ended in an embarrassingly lopsided 3-0 defeat that unnerved officials as the team prepared for its first World Cup qualifier in two weeks. So, a clearly overweight Scotland was hastily recalled and failed to distinguish himself in a shock defeat at the feet of Bermuda.

In national colours, he never quite managed to break the cycle of embarrassing let-downs followed by a demonstrated inability to take the chances that did come.

In Wigan colours too, all was not plain sailing.

A hernia operation forced Scotland to miss pre-season training and he had to wait until 26 September 2009 for his Premiership debut, which came against defending champions, Chelsea. And, understandably nervous, Scotland passed on the chance to take a decisive penalty kick.

“I thought about what might happen if I missed,” said Scotland, “and that would never have entered my head at Swansea.

“The pressure was just immense and it seemed to get harder and harder every week and the fans were really getting on my back.”

Scotland’s weekly performance regularly polled at 6 out of a maximum 10 from UK sport writers, which often put him among his club’s top performers. But it was scant consolation.

“I know I was doing well but doing well as a striker means nothing,” he said. “You have to score goals. I started shying away when I missed an opportunity and passing instead of shooting.

“I’m disappointed to this day that I didn’t handle the pressure better and I didn’t take my chances. I should have scored about seven that season.”

Told by Martinez in July 2010 that his chances at Wigan were limited, Scotland decided—reluctantly—to join another former soldier, Carlos Edwards, at Ipswich Town.

“I was hoping that Martinez would encourage me to stay,” he explained, “but he didn’t. And it isn’t nice to know that your manager doesn’t have confidence in you… But I sometimes wondered if I gave up my Wigan career too easily.

“Yes, I didn’t have a good first season but so what? I could have stayed and fought.”

At Ipswich, ex-Manchester United star Roy Keane was building a team for the Premiership and told Scotland that he expected his goals to take the team into the play-offs. Scotty bought into the dream and signed on.

Six months later, Keane was sacked. And Scotland, who found Keane to be more of a bully than an inspiration, was not sad to see him leave.

“He bought me to score goals and, by any means necessary, I was to score goals,” said Scotland. “Keane wasn’t a coach who spent much time breaking down the game like Martinez and the atmosphere around him was something I had never experienced before.

“Most of the players were afraid to be around him or to make a mistake. I remember cracking a joke once at a session and he just went off about jokers and said that he wanted to see how they did on the field.”

Scotland scored in the next game against Bristol City. But, to play it safe, he stopped making jokes.

Despite a spell on the sidelines under new boss Paul Jewell, Scotland finished the season as Ipswich’s top scorer with ten goals. However, he admitted to being mentally unprepared for the intensity of the Championship Division in his first year with Ipswich.

The following pre-season, Scotland was once more surplus to requirements. In the off-season, Jewell had bought two more strikers and, without a word to the striker,  he gave Scotland’s number 10 shirt to Michael Chopra. Scotland didn’t even have a place on the bench when the season started.

But, this time, Scotty refused to buckle. When Jewell rested his main strikers in the Cup games, Scotland took advantage of the opportunity to prove his worth. When he won a spot on the bench for the league games, he made his cameos count.

By the end of the 2011/12 season, Scotland had nine goals, second only to Chopra’s 14. And a suitably impressed Jewell offered him a new deal and asked him to stay as a squad player and pass on his experience to the younger talent as well as freshen up the dressing room with his charm.

It has been a slow start so far, both for Ipswich and for Scotty. He featured as a substitute in every match so far but hasn’t scored yet while the team has posted one win and two draws from its four games.

There was one decisive moment against former Premiership team, Blackburn Rovers, when a Scotland cross forced a late equaliser for Ipswich at home.

But the real pleasure will come when he notches his first goal. He will flash the bright smile that has warmed the hearts of fans in Trinidad and Tobago, Scotland, Wales and, now, England.

The journey has been as remarkable as the destination. Forget Ronaldo. Scotland is special in his own right.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:10:16 AM by Flex »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland on UK football, Roy Keane and his T&T career
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »
Good stuff Lasana. Love the commercial  :rotfl:

Could only hope that the up and coming learn from these who've been there before.

I wonder if Scotty will make a good coach. I have a feeling he will be great with man management and making the squad operate as a unit.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
Toasting Scotland the Brave.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com).

During Porterfield’s year-and-a-half stint, he was so spoiled for choice that he capped all of Dwight Yorke (Manchester United-England), Stern John (Nottingham Forest-Eng), Jerren Nixon (SC St Gallen-Switzerland), Hector Sam (Wrexham-England), Gary Glasgow (Kansas City Wizards-US), Arnold Dwarika and Nigel Pierre (both Joe Public) and the now deceased pair of Mickey Trotman (Rochester Rhinos-US) and Rolston James (Jabloteh) while other capable attackers like Trent Noel (Police) and Angus Eve (Joe Public) were used in midfield.

Read More

Wow, those were the days.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »
great stuff as always Lasana
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gh5OrE3LuFY&amp;feature=my_favorites&amp;list=FLed8EmlWJilMcqW9PBjLhng" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gh5OrE3LuFY&amp;feature=my_favorites&amp;list=FLed8EmlWJilMcqW9PBjLhng</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason: it wasn't our day
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »
Jason: it wasn't our day
By Jonathon Ogle (itfc.co.uk)

Town not having the 'rub of the green' says goalscorer

Jason Scotland believes Town didn’t have the ‘rub of the green’, as Blues slipped to a 2-1 home defeat to Charlton.

The striker netted for Town midway through the second-half, but it proved to be in vain as earlier strikes from Johnnie Jackson and Ricardo Fuller saw the Addicks take all three points.

“I think today was a case of ‘déjà vu’ from Wednesday night against Wolves really,” admitted Jason to the Club website.

“We are creating the chances, but not taking them and then we are conceding soft goals at the other end.

“You could see today that we didn’t quite have the rub of the green and it wasn’t to be our day, but I’m sure that will change soon.

“Now we have to stick together as a team and prepare for Barnsley on Saturday.”

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I’m the man to take the pressure off Paul Jewell says Jason Scotland
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2012, 05:36:52 AM »
I’m the man to take the pressure off Paul Jewell says Jason Scotland
By Chris Brammer and Dave Gooderham (Ipswich Star)

Only Bolton have had more shots at goals than Ipswich during this infant Championship season, with Town having 96 attempts, 40 on-target and 56 off.

With a paltry five goals scored, the Championship’s second worst team are finding the net once in every 19 shots at goal.

Against such a staggeringly poor statistic, Jason Scotland has insisted he wants to be more than just a bit-part player now he has grabbed his chance to impress manager Paul Jewell.

The veteran striker signed a new one-year deal in the summer and knew that he wouldn’t be a regular starter this season.

But injuries to Paul Taylor and Michael Chopra, and Scotland’s own decent goalscoring performance in the defeat to Charlton last weekend, has seen the former Trinidad and Tobago international reassess his own worth to the team.

“I want to play as much as I can and stake a claim,” said Scotland, who is an almost certain starter against Barnsley today.

“I gave everything I could against Charlton, I worked hard tracking back into midfield but unfortunately we could not get a result.

“The gaffer spoke to me at the start of the season and told me I was going to be a squad player who needed to stay fit for when I was needed.

“I came in, took my chance and I want to stay in the team now. I don’t want to be a squad player. I want to play in the first team until I am not doing well.

“There has been no midweek game this week so I have had a week to recover and I am fit and raring to go.”

Ahead of the clash with the Tykes and the speculation over manager Paul Jewell’s position, Scotland added: “

“After we lost at Middlesbrough, we targeted the next two home games (against Wolves and Charlton) to pick up six points but that didn’t happen.

“We have got to put our best foot forward for the game against Barnsley and focus on picking up three points.

“It’s tough picking up the players when you are losing week in, week out but we can’t feel sorry for ourselves.”

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: I’m the man to take the pressure off Paul Jewell says Jason Scotland
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2012, 06:27:57 AM »
Trinis could talk sah...

He score one goal and now he openining he ass to take wood for he manager.

Shut yuh mouth and at de end of de season then talk.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wolves and Brighton eyeing Scotland
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »
Wolves and Brighton eyeing Scotland
TWTD.co.uk

Wolves and Brighton and Hove Albion are both interested in signing out-of-favour Blues striker Jason Scotland on loan for the rest of the season.

The 33-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of June, has featured only once as a sub since Mick McCarthy took over at Portman Road and with David McGoldrick, Aaron Mclean and Frank Nouble having signed in recent days, seems destined to leave on loan during this transfer window.

Read More...

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seems Scotland has been released by Ispwich
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2013, 04:56:27 AM »
Just Seen this web....

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/latest-news/jason_scotland_agrees_contract_settlement_with_ipswich_town_1_1800370

Good news if true as he was heading nowhere there.

Jason Scotland agrees contract settlement with Ipswich Town.
By Stuart Watson (greenun24.co.uk).

JASON Scotland has become a free agent after agreeing a settlement over the final few months of his Ipswich Town contract.

The 33-year-old striker has made just one appearance under new boss Mick McCarthy after slipping down the pecking order following the arrivals of David McGoldrick, Aaron Mclean and Frank Nouble.

Speaking recently, McCarthy said: “Jason is likely to be going somewhere. He’s been fabulous, Jason, he’s such a lovely character and a nice man, he’s been great around the place.

“But we’re going younger and hungrier, I guess, and unfortunately Jason’s missing out. But he understands and he’d like to go and play football somewhere in the twilight of his career.”

Scotland was brought to Portman Road by Roy Keane in August 2010, for a fee believed to be in the region of £1m from Wigan.

The former Trinidad and Tobago international made 59 starts and 38 substitute appearances for the Blues, scoring 21 goals.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:07:22 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason Scotland: ‘I’ve still got a lot to offer’
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »
Jason Scotland: ‘I’ve still got a lot to offer’
By Stuart Watson (Ipswich Star)

JASON Scotland still feels he’s got a lot to offer after Ipswich Town came to an agreement over the final few months of his contract.

The 33-year-old striker – now a free agent – has made just one appearance under new boss Mick McCarthy, slipping down the pecking order following the arrivals of David McGoldrick, Aaron Mclean and Frank Nouble.

“I spoke the gaffer and told him that I wanted to be playing football,” Scotland told the EADT.

“He’s been sound with me and I thank him for that.

“My chances were becoming limited at Ipswich and I want to be enjoying my football at this stage of my career.

Read More…

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Releasing Jason Scotland ‘looks daft’ admits Mick McCarthy
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
Releasing Jason Scotland ‘looks daft’ admits Mick McCarthy
By Stuart Watson (Ipswich Star)

MICK McCarthy admits he made a mistake in releasing striker Jason Scotland.

The Blues boss decided that the 34-year-old wasn’t part of his long-term plans for the club back in January and subsequently reached a financial agreement to cut short the final few months of his contract.

Championship rivals Barnsley quickly snapped him up on a free transfer, with the Trinidadian proving a devastating weapon off the bench.

So far, he’s scored five goals in little more than 300 minutes of league action for the Tykes. That’s two more than the entire Town team have managed between them over the last eight matches.

Read More…

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Releasing Jason Scotland ‘looks daft’ admits Mick McCarthy
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
God fuh dem
Scotty make dem cry. Put more salt in de wound Scotty.
Lesson to all: Doh disrespeck a hardworking warrior!
Cato you nex' to teach dem Seattle boys a lesson.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:15:24 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hibs eye up bid for Barnsley's veteran striker Jason Scotland
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:00 AM »
Hibs eye up bid for Barnsley's veteran striker Jason Scotland
By Michael Gannon (Daily Record)

TERRY Butcher has the former St Johnstone striker in his sights as he looks to add goal threat to his squad.

HIBS boss Terry Butcher is considering a swoop for former St Johnstone striker Jason Scotland.

The 34-year-old has been told by new Barnsley manager Danny Wilson he is free to move on and the Trinidad and Tobago star wants to return north of the border.

The ex-Dundee United ace is on the radar of Hibs but former club Saints, Aberdeen and Motherwell are also keeping tabs on him.

Butcher first registered his interest before the turn of the year and is poised to make his move after telling Kevin Thomson, Rowan Vine, Tim Clancy and Tom Taiwo they can leave the club.

Scotland – whose wife is Scottish – is desperate to finish his career back in the country where he made his name following a successful six-year spell in the English Championship.

The attacker was brought to the UK by former United boss Ian McCall in 2003 but moved to Saints after two years, where his form won him a move to Swansea.

Scotland stepped up to the English top flight with Wigan in 2009 but was there for just a year before joining Ipswich.

He became a fans’ favourite with the Tractor Boys and it was a shock when his contract wasn’t renewed in the summer.

The big striker headed to Barnsley where he has bagged eight goals in 18 games but Wilson is keen to build his own side and has told Scotland to find a new club.

If the veteran signs for Hibs he will bolster an attack that has scored just 19 times in the league this season, the second-worst tally behind rock-bottom Hearts.

Butcher has sent young hitman Ross Caldwell on loan to Alloa but he insists the 20-year-old can still have a future at Easter Road.

Caldwell – who scored a derby winner last May – didn’t get off to the best of starts under the new Hibees gaffer when he reacted angrily to being substituted in a 1-0 Scottish Cup win over Ross County at the end of November.

The kid had just come off the bench himself 10 minutes earlier and refused the hand of his manager before storming down the tunnel.

But Butcher has told Caldwell he isn’t being sent down to the Championship as a punishment.

He said: “People will say, ‘He’s gone out now and that’s the end of Ross Caldwell.’ Certainly not. I want to see him play in a first team. We’ll keep close tabs on Ross.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Butcher denies moves for Jason Scotland
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2014, 05:44:01 AM »
Speaking at the club’s training centre, Butcher said: “I spoke to his (Scotland’s) agent yesterday and said ‘no, we wouldn’t be pursuing it’,” he said. “The next thing I read is that we’re keen on doing it. That won’t happen.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/01/butcher-denies-moves-for-jason-scotland-and-dean-shiels/

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason Scotland joins Hamilton Academical from Barnsley
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »
BBC Sport

Hamilton Academical have signed experienced striker Jason Scotland following his release by Barnsley.

The 34-year-old has joined the Scottish Championship side until June, subject to international clearance.

Accies chairman Les Gray told the club website he had been chasing a deal for Scotland "all month".

"There were a few other clubs in Scotland keen to sign him but we were on the ball at all times in monitoring his situation," he added.

When announcing the signing on Twitter, Hamilton said title rivals Dundee had also been interested in the former Dundee United and St Johnstone player.

Dundee currently lead the division, a point clear of Accies.

Trinidad and Tobago international Scotland joined United in 2003 and moved on to Saints two years later.

In total, he scored 52 goals in Scottish football before moving to Swansea. Spells at Wigan, Ipswich and Barnsley followed.

Capped 41 times, Scotland scored eight international goals between 2000 and 2011.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Scotland joins Hamilton Academical from Barnsley
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »
BBC Sport

Hamilton Academical have signed experienced striker Jason Scotland following his release by Barnsley.

The 34-year-old has joined the Scottish Championship side until June, subject to international clearance.

Accies chairman Les Gray told the club website he had been chasing a deal for Scotland "all month".

"There were a few other clubs in Scotland keen to sign him but we were on the ball at all times in monitoring his situation," he added.

When announcing the signing on Twitter, Hamilton said title rivals Dundee had also been interested in the former Dundee United and St Johnstone player.

Dundee currently lead the division, a point clear of Accies.

Trinidad and Tobago international Scotland joined United in 2003 and moved on to Saints two years later.

In total, he scored 52 goals in Scottish football before moving to Swansea. Spells at Wigan, Ipswich and Barnsley followed.

Capped 41 times, Scotland scored eight international goals between 2000 and 2011.

Wow that's quite a drop really... I expected him to stay in championship/League one, but 2nd division of Scotland is not exactly great.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason Scotland can add the goals to fire our promotion bid, says Hamilton boss
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »
Jason Scotland can add the goals to fire our promotion bid, says Hamilton boss Alex Neil
By John Gardner (Daily Record)

HAMILTON boss Alex Neil reckons Jason Scotland guarantees goals after swooping to sign the former St Johnstone striker.

The 34-year-old was released by Barnsley yesterday and immediately signed a deal with promotion-chasing Accies until the end of the season.

And Neil is adamant the veteran hitman – who has also had spells at Dundee United, Swansea, Wigan, and Ipswich – is a massive coup for the Championship side as they bid to win the title.

The New Douglas Park gaffer said: “It’s fantastic we’ve managed to get this deal over the line and a big thanks goes to the guys behind the scenes for pushing it through.

“We’ve been speaking to Jason for a week and are delighted the deal has been done.

“We have a lot of young boys at the club and to have his experience and quality will be invaluable over the coming weeks.

“If you look at his career, Jason has always scored goals wherever he has been.

“He has undoubted quality, along with strength and we’re confident he’ll be a success with us.”

Scotland and Celtic kid Paul George has also been brought in by Neil during the transfer window.

And he has his eyes on a third addition as he gears up for a crucial point in their campaign.

He added: “I said I wanted three and that’s still the aim. There’s somebody we’ve been in talks with for a week or so and we’re hoping to get a deal sorted.”

The club are still awaiting international clearance for Scotland, right, but expect to have it in time for Saturday’s clash with Cowdenbeath.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
Drop? From back rooms at mid sized company, laid off, no work at close to retirement age to potential star boy an opportunity to lead in a small fledgling company ? A foreigner at that...I consider that lucky. Keep healthy Mr Scotland. Good luck

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
Good going Jason. Represent the red white and white and have them singing your familiar surname!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>