April 26, 2024, 09:51:20 AM

Author Topic: Hughes casts the net  (Read 1578 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Hughes casts the net
« on: May 20, 2005, 07:45:42 AM »
source: Falkirk Today

Hughes casts the net

Gow joins the Bairns but manager will now look further afield for signings
JOHN Hughes is planning a trip to Europe in the search for new players.
The Falkirk boss hopes to join up with Russell Latapy in Portugal this weekend to run the rule over two midfielders.
One, a 28-year-old with a ''good pedigree'', stars in the SuperLiga and was at Boavista during Latapy's time there, while the other plays football in Liga II.
Yogi's first summer signing was Alan Gow of Airdrie United last week, but he is determined to capture at least another five for the SPL campaign ahead.
''It's good to get the first one in,'' Hughes told Heraldsport.
''I'm determined to take the club to the next step and that means signing the right standard of player.
''Russell has been taking in games in Portugal for two weeks – he's well connected there – and has identified a couple of players, so hopefully I'll be joining him to see them for myself.
''That's how far we're casting the net in order to get the right people in to take the club forward.''
Striker Gow (22) has signed a two-year deal and will join his team mates when his current contract expires in the summer.
Falkirk will negotiate compensation with Airdrie as Gow, who joined the Diamonds from Clydebank in 2002, is under 24.
He has been on Hughes' 'wish list' ever since he came to his attention two years ago and Gow's new boss believes he has the potential to develop into a top-class player.
Yogi continued: ''Alan just got better and better over last season and, from what I've learned so far, all he wants is to be the best he possibly can.
''He's got loads of potential and we will be giving him a platform to show people how good a player he really is.
''I'm sure Alan will relish the opportunity to play for Falkirk and produce the goods in the SPL.''
With 36 goals between them last season, Gow could
 form a formidable partnership up front with Darryl Duffy.
The First Division's top scorer was called up to the Scotland Under-21 squad by Rainer Bonhof last week to face Moldova and Belarus in the next round of UEFA Championship qualifiers in June.
Extensions
Other developments saw John O'Neil and Craig McPherson sign one-year extensions to their contracts, while bids remain on the table for Scott Mackenzie and Allan Ferguson. John Henry has been released.
That makes a total of 12 players secured for next season so far but they'll all have to earn their place first – and then try and hold on to it, according to Hughes.
''There's no better motivation for any football player than knowing someone's after your jersey,'' he said.
''While I'd like to have two players for every position, the budget won't allow it, so we need people who can play in a number of positions.
''I want at least another five new faces in, and I'd like them to be my number one choices.
''It's evident we need to get two or three defenders and maybe another two in midfield.
''However, while I have identified who I would like to sign, money doesn't grow on trees.
''I'll offer what I can but if it becomes too much then I'll walk away.
''The most important thing is to sell Falkirk Football Club to them first and foremost."
As the club announced their season ticket prices for the SPL, Hughes also called on his ''12th man'' to play its part in the campaign.
He added: ''The Falkirk fans have come through some hard times, but they ARE the club.
''I often tell the players exactly that in my team talks so I'm asking the supporters to use that as their motivation as well and get right behind the players.
''They will play a massive part next season so I hope they are all getting their season tickets and are starting to look forward to the Premier League.''
As Heraldsport went to press, the following players were all contracted with Falkirk: Darren Barr, Darryl Duffy, Russell Latapy, Andy Lawrie, Craig McPherson, Ryan McStay, Ian McSween, John O'Neil, Andy Thomson, Marc Twaddle, Neil Scally and Alan Gow (pre-contract).

19 May 2005
Live large and prosper!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes casts the net
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 07:48:01 AM »
All dem quality midfielders we have in TT, yuh mean de man couldn't bring another one in ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 07:55:19 AM »
well they had a quality midfield by the name of brent rahim
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 10:07:12 AM »
All dem quality midfielders we have in TT, yuh mean de man couldn't bring another one in ???

Doc, de man jus lookin out for he 'home' boys...a Portugese youth here say everybody know Latapy, he  is a God in Portugal, and dis with many of dem  who never even see him play, de man say he is Portugese, who born somewhere else,( I agreed, and told him T&T)...and some wanted him to join their National team...
Ah would be so proud if he does.....really.....no, really...ah wonder if dey name school after him yet an ting ? 

1]; } ?>