April 23, 2024, 01:52:08 PM

Author Topic: Leo lays his cards on the table.  (Read 795 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Leo lays his cards on the table.
« on: April 12, 2006, 03:38:42 PM »
Leo lays his cards on the table.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Leo Beenhakker explained on Wednesday as he announced his World Cup squad that he felt the timing was right to lay his cards on the table and get on with the job of preparing everything about this country’s participation at the 2006 edition of the tournament in Germany.
Beenhakker addressed the media at a press conference at the Crowne Plaza during which he himself revealed the 24-man squad which will go into camp for the May 10 friendly international in Port of Spain against Peru from which one player will be excluded from the actual 23-man squad to be submitted for the World Cup. There, T&T will kick off against Sweden on June 10 before taking on England (June 15) and Paraguay on June 20.
This 23-man squad, to be captained by Dwight Yorke will depart for Manchester, England on May 23 and then on to Austria, Czech Republic and Germany for the remainder of the campaign.
“It was the moment and the time to play our cards open on the table for several reasons,” Beenhakker said. “First of all since our qualification we did a lot of homework and in the end we had to make the decisions. Besides that I think the players at this moment has to know what their situation is in relation with participation at the World Cup yes or no,” he continued as the contingent of representatives from the local and foreign media, sponsors, and the Football Federation eagerly awaited his announcement of the squad.
“These guys have to know and arrange some things in their lives because they will be at least five weeks on the road together and hopefully some more time.”
The former Real Madrid coach made mention of the fact that preparing a team for such an event was a hell of a jog. “It’ calls for a lot of organization with the sponsors, the traveling, the medical and the accommodation.”
“At least I can say that I understand very well that in such a situation, everyone is a national coach and has his opinions and has his favourite players. That’s normal and that’s part of the reason why football is so great,” Beenhakker added.
He explained that during his early days in Trinidad along with assistant Wim Rijsbergen they scouted several Pro League matches and did a lot of traveling abroad to look at the overseas players, seeing all of them on DVD as well.
“Before making the final choice of 23, we did our homework the best we could. I have to protect the players also who brought us to Germany. They have to be credited. And there must be balance in the team.”
Following his announcement of the squad, Beenhakker concluded by saying: “I want to give my congratulations and my deep respect to all the people around the team, the management team especially, to and to participate with a team in the World Cup is a hell of a job and they did a hell of a job. I want to thank specially all the players who are not on the list but yes were on the road to Germany. I understand for the moment I have made 23/24 players happy. I understand much better that I have disappointed now many players from Trinidad and Tobago. I can assure them that the decisions we made were made in relation to looking for the best of the team. Don’t take it personal and I can tell everyone of these players who are not involved, I think everyone will be very thankful and grateful for their participation on the road to Germany and in the end being in Germany for the first time in history of this beautiful country.”
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:45:32 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>