March 28, 2024, 03:19:08 AM

Author Topic: Corneal concerned about timing [of squad selection].  (Read 13620 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Corneal concerned about timing [of squad selection].
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:31:29 AM »
Corneal concerned about timing.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Former Trinidad and Tobago footballer and coach Alvin Corneal is questioning the early selection of the Soca Warriors team for the upcoming World Cup in Germany.
Corneal who played both cricket and football for Trinidad and Tobago said yesterday he is confused with the selection of the team one month before the FIFAdeadline of May 15.
Corneal also said he thought a few other players could have been considered and although they may not have been selected on the national team, he felt they could have been looked at by the national coach.
Among those overlooked he said was CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Kerry Baptiste and United States-based Osei Telesford whom he described as better than any defender on the TT team.
Corneal, who is a FIFA Match Analyst said he was a bit surprised with the selection of some players who were left out of the team during the CONCACAF qualifying campaign.
He pointed to striker Cornell Glen who he said has done nothing to deserve a pick after being left out for so long. Corneal also charged that David Atiba Charles, Brent Sancho and Anthony Rougier would not be on his team for the World Cup Finals.
He said it was difficult to determine how the coach was thinking, but suggested that national team coach Leo Beenhakker would have based his selection, rightfully on what he has seen of the players so far.
Also commenting on the 24-man squad named yesterday by Beenhakker was Richard Braithwaite, a former national team manager who is the current CONCACAF Development Officer based at the Dr Jao Havelange Centre of Excellence in Macoya.
Braithwaite said he was satisfied with the squad selected by Beenhakker. He said it was good to see Atiba Charles, Glenn, goalkeeper Clayton Ince and in-particular Rougier on the shortlist since he said, they have worked extremely hard to catch the coach’s eye.
He described Rougier as the best utility player in Trinidad and Tobago whom any coach would consider an asset especially if their team playing in their first World Cup Finals.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 03:50:12 PM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Corneal concerned about timing [of squad selection]
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 06:42:47 AM »
Corneal concerned about timing
(Newsday)

He pointed to striker Cornell Glen who he said has done nothing to deserve a pick after being left out for so long. Corneal also charged that David Atiba Charles, Brent Sancho and Anthony Rougier would not be on his team for the World Cup Finals.

Among those overlooked he said was CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Kerry Baptiste and United States-based Osei Telesford whom he described as better than any defender on the TT team.

SO HE SAYING osi telford better than Brent sancho and atiba charles ANDREWS ETC. BUT HE WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT COLLGE BASE PLAYERS FITNESS THE OTHER DAY??? ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:47:04 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 06:51:30 AM »
Corneal pick up a copy of todays express and read what a better and more experienced coach thinks and why he did what he did.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:00:37 AM »
Corneal concerned about timing
(Newsday)

I wonder if Alvin realises that he was not the coach who got our team to its 1st World Cup finals and as a result its that coach and not him who picks our team for the Finals?  ::)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 07:02:42 AM »
Anyone whpo knows ANYTHING about T&T footbal takes EVERYTHING out of Corneal's mouth with a one pound bag ah salt!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:04:01 AM »
I doh understsand Corneal sometimes.I know he's talk to his son everyday.All dem questions Anton should have answers for,because he's part of de staff.I think for us it was good beenie annouce de team so dem men could prepare psychologically for what lies ahead.Good move Beenieman.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 07:08:03 AM »
Wait........allyuh suprised???
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 07:10:35 AM »
Let the jackass bray

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 07:25:22 AM »
Let the jackass bray

Me eh know why yuh picking on triniman...I eh find he make no stupid comment.  de man ash ah legit question.

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It's Called SOUR GRAPES!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 07:26:38 AM »
Alvin can't stand it that this man has done what HE, Corneal and his cohorts have NEVER done to date!!! As a man say "Let the jackass bray"! If Mr Teleford SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good as to be better than ANY of the T&T defenders, then WHY isn't he playing for SAY GLASGOW RANGERS. As for  leaving out Sancho and Rouger... Al boy yuh only lucky is HOLY WEEK!!! come visit my office I have NUFF Colon Cleansers for you to clean out that $#@! yuh spewing!!!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 08:00:36 AM »
Corneal say anything positive about the team yet...? In fact, he say anything positive in the last 15 years?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 08:08:22 AM »
Who Telesford plays for???
Who does Marvin, Sancho etc:play for??
I am sure allyuh notice since Sancho back on the team at Gillingham they have not lost a game and climbing nice. They was on de border of relegation and now they sitting pretty. I think if the coach had kept him on the team they could have been fighting for a promo spot...
question, if Port Vale and Gillingham made playoff spot, who would you prefer see move up?? Same goes for Coventry and Luton....

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 08:12:35 AM »
Yuh know what is de worst part about all of dis?

IF Beenie ride out after de World Cup, yuh know who go be left to continue underminin and sabotagin T&T football again.  Yep...dat's right....de one and only Alvin Corneal.  Right now, Alvin cyah do nadas because Beenie in control and Alvin have ZERO say.

I still doh get why a man who know football as much as Alvin does do de tings he do.  Hoesntly, cyah figure it out other than to say he jes plain bad mind and doh like nobody.  Ah want to see if he go f*&k up he own son.  Anton did done cave worryingly wit de Ricky Shakes & de U 20's affair so it already have some precedent.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 08:14:40 AM »
when Cornmeal take ah team to the WC, then he could pick who he want and announce the team when he want.

Beenie coulda annouce the team the day after we beat Bahrain, because it have no surprises and the same men who take us to the WC have dey name written down on the piece of paper. he feel England, Sweden & Paraguay didn't already anticipate that we sticking with who we have. is not like we living in Brazil with 100million people and ah bag ah talent waiting for a sweat.

Beenie name he squad and men could now exhale and concentrate on preparations.

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 08:16:16 AM »
Timing????

Corneal only braying!  But don't blame the man...He has been conditioned to think that way. It eh he fault!  He is a victim of " WE ONGOING PROCRASTINATION".  

Think about it.  Waiting on the last to get a practice game.  Waiting on the last to pick a team.  Always waiting on the last to prepare.  

So it goes..on and on...and up until Beenie, yuh see what type of results we get.

Look....the time is now...we reach!  Lets get on with it.  Win, loose or draw...the time is now.

P.S.  Ah only hope Anton learning a ting or two.  But then again...yuh never know...considering "the fatherly destabilising influence".

Luv U T&T!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 08:31:55 AM »
and to think I went coaching school.... :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 08:36:19 AM »
We got to cool down guys,this is just Alvin Corneal's opinion,everybody here have an opinion and nobody challenges them,Alvin is not the Coach so what ever he says is irrelevant,in everything we need some opposition to make it interesting,if Alvin had not said that this post would have died already.

Having said that, i want to say i like the alternative thinking that Alvin has,but the big question is what other choices does Benie have,our player pool is very limited,any group of players could have been picked and it would not make a difference in the way we play,you can pick about six T&T teams and you will observe the same players either on or off them.

There will always be disagreements where who should or should not be selected,the only thing that stops that is if you win,so relax guys and don't let Alvin raise your blood pressure.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 08:40:38 AM »
CORNEAL SHOULD stick to coacin alcons

i remember after the lima game he say birchall had nothingg special to offer the team

he also said tiger was d best man for left midlefeld shows how fare we wuda reach wit he at d helm
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 08:41:57 AM »
It is time Alvin lthough everybody have a right to they opinion, his opinions have no merit when hhre say that Osei better than all the defenders on the team.  If that is true, why not a single MLS European or any other professional team of worth looking for him?   Steeeeeuuuups!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

TrinInfinite

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 09:03:15 AM »
baptiste could have been on de team instead of wolfe, wolfe is not even de bess player in the local league and beenie should have hol off on naming the team till after the grenada matches, bc wats de point of dem in the first place, if all locals gettin select and none of dem making it? ??? telesford over sancho? cornmeal mad tuh say dat, sancho is a boss, de only 2 tings he say good day is baptiste and why name de squad so early?

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 09:25:33 AM »
SABOE actually questioning ah man dat take de Tnt team further than he....weyyyyys!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 09:30:10 AM »
All of a sudden we have the best coaches in T&T. Beenhakker accomplished what no other man has done before, but still Corneal flapping.

Question.

Wasn't Corneal a T&T coach in the past, what did he accomplished ? did we even win the Shell Cup under him ?

Let Alvin keep opening his mouth, he will only make it better for his Son Anton.... 8)....

PS: I never new Kerry Baptiste and Osei Telesford was defenders....  :rotfl:

CORNEAL QUOTE: Among those overlooked he said was San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Kerry Baptiste and United States-based Osei Telesford whom he described as better than any defender on the TT team"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:34:31 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 09:36:01 AM »
baptiste could have been on de team instead of wolfe, wolfe is not even de bess player in the local league and beenie should have hol off on naming the team till after the grenada matches, bc wats de point of dem in the first place, if all locals gettin select and none of dem making it? ??? telesford over sancho? cornmeal mad tuh say dat, sancho is a boss, de only 2 tings he say good day is baptiste and why name de squad so early?

What would be the point of waiting until Grenada? This isn't rhetorical, I actually want to know what advantage we could have gained. Mexico named their squad - of 26 men - nearly 2 weeks before we did. They've been using that time to experiment with different players, tactics and positions. The longer we wait, the less flexibility we have. And I think we have to approach this squad - which will be going to the Peru friendly - and the team that Beenie will send to play Grenada differently. Like it or not, right now there are two tiers in T&T football - the men who going Germany in June, and the men who might be going South Africa in 2010.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:48:24 AM by smi »
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 09:37:18 AM »
Who is Cornmeal Cornbread CornCurls Corneal to question Beenhakker's timing of naming the players and his choice of players?

So this man eh see that Beenhakker choosing a team not for SHELL CUP Digicel Cup but for WORLD CUP?  He eh know who Beenhakker coached and where before or what?  He eh realize that there are 24 people on the team and that only 23 going or what?  He eh realize that that will translate into men practicing all hour to make sure that they fit before they come to the most intensive do-or-die training sessions ever in T&T football history or what?  Does he even think?  CAN he even think? 

Yes, RoastCorn has the right to an opinion, but truly, there are two types of people:

#1: Those that have something to say.
#2: Those that have to say something.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 04:04:40 PM by 1989 »
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »
Corneal have to keep working under somebody for few more years before we can confidently say we going World Cup with him as head coach

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 09:47:08 AM »
Never in my life can I honestly say I've heard Alvin Corneal say sometihing positive on anything in T&T football....is jes pure bad mind and hate dis fella have for anybody in de position of tnT coach. De fella never do nutten fuh TnT but always criticizing and bringing down somebody.

It's amazing for someone with de credentials of Corneal dat he never amounted to anything substantial. He never even carry ah local club to national Champions and he is de quickest ting to bump he gums.

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 10:32:20 AM »
comon people meh grand mother always used to say empty barrels make the most noise let alvin let off some jealously sorry ah mean steam

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »
actually...for once i agree with the man...just in terms of osei telesford....in the ftl camp he was actually the guy i thought showed the most heart and determination and is a bruiser in midfield not afriad of a hard tackle...i saw rougier too and he was a shade of himself too old for the sport...wayward passes etc..that might be a little curry favor business but he get blowby real times from a shitty spanish side..he just to old..we have enough old players on the squad..we needed that young run at everything type of blood...cause the fellas who we playing against mr rougier have no chance to defend against them....but all in all i think is a non issue cause rougier not sweating anyways....

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 11:37:50 AM »
lord Corneal can say sum rel chupidness sometimes...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »
When was the last time Corneal said anything that made sense ? Steups.... I grown to expect nothing else from him. Complete and utter dotishness! How in God's name is Osei Telesford better that Dog, Lawrence and Sancho ? What is his criteria for saying so. Who on this team would Kerry Baptiste unseat?   How many international caps does Kerry Baptiste have ? Of what use would he be on this team?

The coach is trying to maintain relatively the same squad that we qualified with for good reason. Our strengths lie in our solidarity as a team. Bringing in new players in an ad hoc manner would compromise that strength. If Corneal were the coach we wouldn't stand a chance.

1]; } ?>