April 26, 2024, 08:59:48 PM

Author Topic: Beenie the Boss & Corneal and the Aristocracy of Color  (Read 5545 times)

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenie the Boss & Corneal and the Aristocracy of Color
« on: April 13, 2006, 09:31:21 AM »
Major, major kudos to Beenie again for sticking with the players that brought us to Germany.  No waggonists allowed be they of the local or foreign variety.  That is what happened to Jamaica in their WC experience and it was destructive of team chemistry.  On the matter of Corneal - his prominence is a pure example of the lighter shade of brownism in T&T.  I don't know why Gally Cummings, Bertille , Fevrier etc aren't sought out for their opinions on these matters.  ALll who have had extensive stints (fevrier excepted) as national team coach.  Gally took us to the brink.  What has Corneal ever done as a national coach to recommend him.  His last job was with a women's team and he was fired from that.  Osei Telesford is the best defender we have.  We still suffer from mental slavery.  The more things change; the more they stay the same. 

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Beenie the Boss & Corneal and the Aristocracy of Color
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:36:38 AM »
Look what you coming here with.  So was slavery when we had St. Clair in charge and how we have a slew of black coaches at the other levels.   Boss, yuh starting to over "reason" , and it sounding baseless.  Corneal is seen as a future coach, and is being groomed.  Who yuh want to see there?  Call some names that merit such a position and just say that the best man was not chosen, in your opinion.  But leave yuh mental slavery argument out of it, cause I really think that is the least of the factors that decided which local coach was going to work with Beenie.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 10:04:37 AM »
Look what you coming here with.  So was slavery when we had St. Clair in charge and how we have a slew of black coaches at the other levels.   Boss, yuh starting to over "reason" , and it sounding baseless.  Corneal is seen as a future coach, and is being groomed.  Who yuh want to see there?  Call some names that merit such a position and just say that the best man was not chosen, in your opinion.  But leave yuh mental slavery argument out of it, cause I really think that is the least of the factors that decided which local coach was going to work with Beenie.

ah think he makeing reference to comments made by the father (Alvin) not the son (Anton)
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 10:10:56 AM »
Major, major kudos to Beenie again for sticking with the players that brought us to Germany.  No waggonists allowed be they of the local or foreign variety.  That is what happened to Jamaica in their WC experience and it was destructive of team chemistry.  On the matter of Corneal - his prominence is a pure example of the lighter shade of brownism in T&T.  I don't know why Gally Cummings, Bertille , Fevrier etc aren't sought out for their opinions on these matters.  ALll who have had extensive stints (fevrier excepted) as national team coach.  Gally took us to the brink.  What has Corneal ever done as a national coach to recommend him.  His last job was with a women's team and he was fired from that.  Osei Telesford is the best defender we have.  We still suffer from mental slavery.  The more things change; the more they stay the same. 

Peg, this has to one of the more baseless (and dangerously so!) posts to be made on this board for quite some time.  You are implying that Alvin Corneal's comments are taken more seriously becasue he is "brown" as you call it?  And also that his son was selected only because he is of a lighter complexion than other coaches in Trinidad?

Boss, you talk some level tata there.  The fact that they have a name that is associated with football in Trinidad - CORNEAL - is a plausible reason maybe, but not the fact that they are "brown" as compared to dark-skinned.

Ridiculous.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »
Despite the idiotic commnets that Alvin makes from time to time, you can't tie he son Anton with that noose.  We need to judge Anton by his work and so far we can't discredit him.  As olong as he does not open his mouth and let rubbish out like his father does.  He will have (and should have) his opportunity based on the merit of his coaching ability! And please don't bring race nto this, ah beg you!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 10:49:23 AM »
Let me be clear.  I said nothing about Alvin Corneal's son (he did not make the comment) or how he got the post he now holds.  I am saying that Alvin C. is treated as this football guru in Trinidad and I am at a loss as to what exactly this is based on.  What are his elite football coaching bonafides.  I am saying that T&T is a society where we are less willing to go to a Gally Cummings etc. or others for an opinion than an Alvin C.  One should ask Gally what he thinks about ALvin.  My view is and I maintain that Alvin has no elite coaching credentials to speak of and is viewed as this eminence grise by certain people with absolutely nothing to base this on.  If you all believed that if he looked like Gally he would be afforded this position - it is not I that is blinded.

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 10:56:30 AM »
Let me be clear.  I said nothing about Alvin Corneal's son (he did not make the comment) or how he got the post he now holds.  I am saying that Alvin C. is treated as this football guru in Trinidad and I am at a loss as to what exactly this is based on.  What are his elite football coaching bonafides.  I am saying that T&T is a society where we are less willing to go to a Gally Cummings etc. or others for an opinion than an Alvin C.  One should ask Gally what he thinks about ALvin.  My view is and I maintain that Alvin has no elite coaching credentials to speak of and is viewed as this eminence grise by certain people with absolutely nothing to base this on.  If you all believed that if he looked like Gally he would be afforded this position - it is not I that is blinded.

dred dis iz a football forum..we eh going an fight up wid no race talk and how it tying to football appts.....not necessary

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 11:16:02 AM »

he has done all he can for the country... Fishs told me dis one when I asked him the same thing... and he almost geh angry at meh... he tell meh... "de man is a Patriot"

and hes right.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 11:22:09 AM »
He is a technical something for FIFA...he gets to travel the world and analyse games on their behalf. How he get THAT job is the real question...??
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 11:22:40 AM »
Looking over a few of your past posts, you seem to have a certain obsession with what you perceive as the downpression of the black man.

I'm not a Corneal fan. I dislike the nepotism that he has displayed in the past, and I was irked by his comments about Birchall. Nonetheless - he does have a significant amount of experience (although he has not achieved as a coach.) The man sits on the FIFA Technical Study Group - alongside people like Gérard Houllier! t's difficult to bluff positions like that - even if you want to suggest that he was appointed on skin colour, that would have been insufficient for him to hold on to those posts.

It have other things going on behind those appointments (and people who being overlooked). One of them is not skin colour.

Let me be clear.  I said nothing about Alvin Corneal's son (he did not make the comment) or how he got the post he now holds.  I am saying that Alvin C. is treated as this football guru in Trinidad and I am at a loss as to what exactly this is based on.  What are his elite football coaching bonafides.  I am saying that T&T is a society where we are less willing to go to a Gally Cummings etc. or others for an opinion than an Alvin C.  One should ask Gally what he thinks about ALvin.  My view is and I maintain that Alvin has no elite coaching credentials to speak of and is viewed as this eminence grise by certain people with absolutely nothing to base this on.  If you all believed that if he looked like Gally he would be afforded this position - it is not I that is blinded.
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 11:25:22 AM »
Looking over a few of your past posts, you seem to have a certain obsession with what you perceive as the downpression of the black man.

I'm not a Corneal fan. I dislike the nepotism that he has displayed in the past, and I was irked by his comments about Birchall. Nonetheless - he does have a significant amount of experience (although he has not achieved as a coach.) The man sits on the FIFA Technical Study Group - alongside people like Gérard Houllier! t's difficult to bluff positions like that - even if you want to suggest that he was appointed on skin colour, that would have been insufficient for him to hold on to those posts.

It have other things going on behind those appointments (and people who being overlooked). One of them is not skin colour.

Let me be clear.  I said nothing about Alvin Corneal's son (he did not make the comment) or how he got the post he now holds.  I am saying that Alvin C. is treated as this football guru in Trinidad and I am at a loss as to what exactly this is based on.  What are his elite football coaching bonafides.  I am saying that T&T is a society where we are less willing to go to a Gally Cummings etc. or others for an opinion than an Alvin C.  One should ask Gally what he thinks about ALvin.  My view is and I maintain that Alvin has no elite coaching credentials to speak of and is viewed as this eminence grise by certain people with absolutely nothing to base this on.  If you all believed that if he looked like Gally he would be afforded this position - it is not I that is blinded.

I really dislike any talk of skin colour having something to do with anything... THAT is just human nature's worst tendancy... It is so incredibly idiotic to judge someone by their skin colour, making desicions on them by their skin colour... etc...

make me rel angry dred.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »

WTF?
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 11:52:02 AM »

WTF?
:rotfl:..............gyirl is trinis we dealin wit
It woudnt be de essence of Trini if ah piece ah bacchanal eh come out from nowhere
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 11:53:04 AM »

WTF?
:rotfl:..............gyirl is trinis we dealin wit
It woudnt be de essence of Trini if ah piece ah bacchanal eh come out from nowhere

Ah realise... :-\
www.westindiantube.com

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 11:56:28 AM »
Some people here must do some research.  Corneal and Jack were the biggest enemies.  Corneal was coopted by Jack and that is how he got the FIFA work that is why after all the past enmity, Corneal did not get the job at FIFA.  Jack GAVE him that job.  That is why Corneal has not a boo to say about any of Jack transgressions.  That is also what makes Jack an extremely complicated individual to have simple judgements about. Alvin now uses that job tp pontificate on matters and I am simply saying the emperor has no clothes.  As for the contention that I have this overly black conscious attitude.  Anybody who knows me would laugh at that.  My points are two fold:
1. Alvin C has no bonafides has an elite coach
2. Alvin C opinions are given the prominence they are for the reasons I have stated.
That mind you does that apply to football but all facets of T&T life.

I am no race baiter but we ignore these issues at our peril.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 12:03:57 PM »
So u telling me his opinions are out in the press solely on colour? it cant be that he does make his voice heard the most whereas gally and the others tend to keep their opinions more to themselves? And also that reporters know that they more likely to get a controversial soundbite out of Corneal?
I think those are more likely the reasons rather than colour..
empty vessels make de most noise!
Back in Trini...

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 12:05:19 PM »
Some people here must do some research.  Corneal and Jack were the biggest enemies.  Corneal was coopted by Jack and that is how he got the FIFA work that is why after all the past enmity, Corneal did not get the job at FIFA.  Jack GAVE him that job.  That is why Corneal has not a boo to say about any of Jack transgressions.  That is also what makes Jack an extremely complicated individual to have simple judgements about. Alvin now uses that job tp pontificate on matters and I am simply saying the emperor has no clothes.  As for the contention that I have this overly black conscious attitude.  Anybody who knows me would laugh at that.  My points are two fold:
2. Alvin C opinions are given the prominence they are for the reasons I have stated.

What prominence is he receiving here?

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=13585.0

It's obvious that a lot of other people share the opinion that he has very little to speak of in terms of coaching. In addition, he's not the first, nor will he be the last person to be given a relatively prestigious job without the appropriate qualifications.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 12:27:46 PM »

I think it has much less to do with race (if anything at all) and much more to do with the fact that at a point in time, Alvin Corneal was one of T&T's best players.  He played for a club called Maple and that club...even though now virtually defunct, has members (or ex members) who are in positions of POWER within T&T football and society at large.

Alvin is the poster child for Maple and that, coupled with his deserved reputation as one of T&T's best ever players, resulted in various avenues were made accessible to him which he embraced readily.  To say Alvin Corneal has done nothing for T&T football would be a lie (I'm not saying you said that PEG) because he has helped many a young player through his coaching school among other things.

However, he has become increasingly critical and bitter towards anything to do with T&T football, especially when he doesn't have a measure of, if not total control over a footballing situation.  He and Sedley Joseph (another Mapleite) are allowed "football pundit/guru" status in T&T primarily through their past deeds on the pitch and their association with Maple Football Club.  Alvin's player status at least could be justified.  Sedley Joseph past exploits as this "great player" and hall of fame member is more imagined than real.

For all of his footballing knowledge, and Alvin Corneal has forgotten more about football than most people here would ever learn, he has had dismal results as a coach or in charge of any T&T footballing initiative.  Just goes to show that knowledge, in and of itself is not a guarantor to success.  Alvin Corneal's ego is super sized and the man is certainly opinionated.  

PEG is right.....Alvin Corneal was Jack's biggest critic, until Jack buy him out with a FIFA appointment where he could travel the world and sit on committee and pontificate, criticise ad nauseum, without having RESPONSIBILITY for results.  In other words...cushy ting.  It's just sad that someone with the resources that he has at his disposal seems unable to seek any more than his self interests rather than working towards the true betterment of T&T football, working with ANYONE who has the expertise to help in achieving that goal.

PEG...if yuh want to call it the aristocracy of CLASS....yuh might have a better argument.  Color have little if anything to do with why Alvin is considered a football guru.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:32:44 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »
Very well said Palos  :applause:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 01:14:40 PM »
Boss post Palos ...... one ah the best ah read in a long time  :applause:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »
Moments like this make me appreciate this board.  Palos, thanks much for your reasoned and very incisive response.  Boss response.  This is a man who clearly understands the antecedent history of T&T with Maple et al.  People should take notes.  Agreeing where valid points are made and when disagreeing not ad hominem in his attacks.  The Maple connection is vital in that gave you an entree into certain segments of society.  Just as how now the mas bands cater to clearly distinct clients.  Harts for one set and Genesis for another.  And there is nothing wrong with this.  People should consort with whomever they choose.  The problem I have with Corneal is that he is viewed as an expert while he has been an abject failure at coaching.  I am however fair.  He has helped secure many a scholarship for players to have something behind they name as most would not have made it professionally.  That is why I have had a problem with some on this board with Jack.  Despite all the ratch, he has done many a positive thing for T&T and many individuals in T&T.  My problem with Corneal is he is extremely critical without the credentials and he is viewed as this guru.  Something that is not deserved given his poor record when put in charge of anything.  Palos points to the antecedents that make this possible.  Palos, I salute

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 01:47:05 PM »
Moments like this make me appreciate this board.  Palos, thanks much for your reasoned and very incisive response.  Boss response.  This is a man who clearly understands the antecedent history of T&T with Maple et al.  People should take notes.  Agreeing where valid points are made and when disagreeing not ad hominem in his attacks.  The Maple connection is vital in that gave you an entree into certain segments of society.  Just as how now the mas bands cater to clearly distinct clients.  Harts for one set and Genesis for another.  And there is nothing wrong with this.  People should consort with whomever they choose.  The problem I have with Corneal is that he is viewed as an expert while he has been an abject failure at coaching.  I am however fair.  He has helped secure many a scholarship for players to have something behind they name as most would not have made it professionally.  That is why I have had a problem with some on this board with Jack.  Despite all the ratch, he has done many a positive thing for T&T and many individuals in T&T.  My problem with Corneal is he is extremely critical without the credentials and he is viewed as this guru.  Something that is not deserved given his poor record when put in charge of anything.  Palos points to the antecedents that make this possible.  Palos, I salute
Is that why they were called the Government?
Live large and prosper!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
ARU yuh sticking
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »
This remind me of dem people who say the only reason that the team start playing better under beenie is cause he white and dey have a "massa" mentality.  :-\

Buh good post palos.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »
Thanks Palos for pointing  out the Maple connection; I have  no problem with the sentimemnts from PEG (vis a vis Corneal's achievements as coach). We need to move it away from the realm of race (and to a certain extnent, class) though.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 03:05:01 PM »
Sorry PEG: you obviously don't know much about Alvin Corneal when it comes to his pedigree as a coach. Although he has not had major accomplishments on the International level as a coach, he is very highly respected world wide for his football knowledge and insight. You have any idea how many young players Alvin developed over the years and how many remain involved in the game as coaches due to his influence?
I don't agree with his questioning Beenie's selections becauses Beenie has proven that he can get things done. T&T has played some of its most productive football in years so he needs to be quite and let Beenie finish the job.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

truetrini

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 04:11:49 PM »
I agree with most of what Palos has said.  But I would lend disagreement to the Sedley Joseph comments.

I do not think that Sedley Joseph is ANYTHING like Corneal....and I do not believe that the Sedley I know is egotistical and imagines himself a "football great."  He is knowledgeable and a thinker..while Corneal (Alvin) is a stinker.  I would like to know from someone here just when Corneal gained his FIFA credentials.  I always thought they preceeded Jack's tenure as FIFA VP????

Jack bought his way to power and took his major detractors with him for mere pieces of silver.

Did someone mention Judas?

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 04:48:38 PM »
Truetrini,

Corneal was more anti-Jack than you back in the day.  He realised that if you cant beat them join them and Jack coopted (i.e bought) him with a lil wuk at FIFA.  That is why Corneal has not uttered one word on the ticket fiasco for example. 

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 06:54:23 PM »
The more relevant point that I thought would be brought up was what kind of visionlessness, ignorance, narrowmindedness and undermining spirit Alvin must have, to say in today's papers, that he wouldn't pick Cornell Glen, Sancho, Rougier and that he had to diss the defenders and say that Telesford is better than all of them. Who the ass is he working for while his son on the coaching squad. Ah hope Anton tell him to whole he %&^$ at the their family breakfast table yesterday. Total waste of time. Thank God Alvin is not coach. His son is MUCH more enlightened. If Alvin was still around he would still be crusading for Demming, Alvin Thomas or some of them big belly unfit has beens. Anton must be embarrassed by his dotishness and saying "Daddy, shut up nuh!". Alvin is too narrow minded. It's true.

Beenie (and Anton) selected a great team.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 09:35:27 PM »
Truetrini,

Corneal was more anti-Jack than you back in the day.  He realised that if you cant beat them join them and Jack coopted (i.e bought) him with a lil wuk at FIFA.  That is why Corneal has not uttered one word on the ticket fiasco for example. 

Peg dey have little yuh could tell me about Alvin dat I cyar add too.

Alvin was never anti Jack!  Alvin is fuh Alvin ask Raffie Knowles.  Alvin look out fuh heself.

He did fall out with Jack like most of us who have been around T&T football for a while becasue Warner dismantled the regional aspect of football and destroyed clubs like Malvern and Maple.

Jack also fought down Arthur Suite and dem fellas..dat cuase real ruction in T&T football.

This is stuff before that happen plenty posters here was old enough to know.

But Alvin was always a self serving fella.

He would be against he mammy if money was involved.

I am still wondering if Alvin's affiliation with FIFA predates Jack though..can someone help?

1]; } ?>