April 25, 2024, 11:29:04 AM

Author Topic: Jason Up For World Cup.  (Read 4594 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
Jason Up For World Cup.
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »
Scotland sets sights on more goals.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Since hearing the news of his inclusion in a 24-man Trinidad and Tobago squad leading up to the World Cup squad, striker Jason Scotland says he has been teased by his Scottish club teammates that he will be the odd man left out when the final party travels to Europe following the upcoming friendly against Peru.
Scotland is currently the top scorer in the Scottish First Division with 14 league goals and one in the Cup and he intends to ensure he keeps his place with Leo Beenhakker having the tough job of omitting one player from the squad that will go to the World Cup.
But like it was for many, Scotland says he had a huge burden taken off his back having been included by Beenhakker.
“It’s just a big burden of my back because I know there were some players who had been playing for  a pick and I was one of them for the last few weeks,” Scotland told TTFF Media on Friday, I have been scoring goals because I wanted the coach to recognize that I was still around and well it looks like he knew about it. Right now I am the highest scorer in the Division but even though I have been selected there is a still a lot to do because I want to keep on scoring and hopefully play at a higher level.”
The former Defence Force says he wants to add at least two more goals to his tally with three more games left in the season.
“I had set my sights on 15 but now I want more and I will not be taking my foot off the peddle. It’s would be a big personal achievement if I could end up with the top goalscorer award. The guys at my club have been teasing me about being the one left to be left out but they are all very pleased for me too.”
As to how he felt about Beenhakker’s selections, Scotland added “I don’t think you can question him at this stage because he has worked wonders for Trinidad and Tobago by getting us to the World Cup.”
Jason up for World Cup.
icPerthshire.

Jason Scotland was yesterday celebrating securing a World Cup call-up. Now, boss Owen Coyle has challenged the Trinidad and Tobago star to top the First Division strike charts before leaving for Germany. Coyle yesterday joked that given the chances created by Saints, the most prolific scorers in the league, he’d have bagged 20 if he’d been two years younger and selected himself more often.
But he said: “As it is, I’m just 20 short of that right now. Maybe I should have picked myself, but that would have been selfish. It’s more important to be a manager than a player.”
Scotland, who has bagged 15 league goals, was delighted with his World Cup invitation.
He said: “One player will have to drop out after the training camp and no one will want to be the unlucky man. That will keep everyone on their toes. “It’s a huge boost to be listed.
“I want to finish top scorer in the division because that’s what strikers are paid for. No disrespect to St Johnstone, but if managers at top clubs see my name at the top of the charts they might take a look and the World Cup is a great stage.
“It’s good news for the club that the gaffer has signed a new deal. I know he hasn’t scored yet but there have been times when he’s laid on goals for me instead of taking them for himself. I’m the youngster coming up so I need them more.”
Coyle added: “Jason is showing the quality which prompted us to move for him and it will be fabulous for a St Johnstone player to be involved in the World Cup this summer. But I want Jason concentrating on getting more goals in the last three games.
“We need Dundee and Stranraer to help us out but we have a tricky game at Queen of the South this weekend. We have to focus on winning that one.” Crisis-hit Dundee will have to avoid defeat at Love Street this weekend to spoil the Paisley title party.
Fans put shirts on Scotland to grab World Cup glory.
By: Laura Roberts & Alastair Jamieson.

Scotland may not be at this year's World Cup finals, but a shirt carrying the country's name has already become the must-have fashion item for Scottish fans.
The official jersey of the Trinidad and Tobago striker Jason Scotland, who plays for St Johnstone, is in so much demand that the maker, Adidas, is sending extra deliveries north of the Border.
The shirt has been adopted as the "streetwear" of choice for members of the Tartan Army.
Trinidad and Tobago holds a special place in the hearts of Scotland supporters. As well as sharing frequent underdog status, the Caribbean team is facing the Auld Enemy, England, during the World Cup and has five squad members who play for Scottish clubs.
Retailers are expecting the collectable shirts, which will sell for about £30, to be among the most popular of the season.
John Kaylor, chairman of the Perthshire branch of the Tartan Army, praised the sale of the shirts.
He said: "I am a St Johnstone supporter and I shall be singing, 'I'd walk a thousand miles' if [Jason] Scotland scores a goal in the World Cup. There is no doubt that is who everyone in the Tartan Army will be supporting. A lot of people have got the older shirts with 'Scotland' written on the back, and there are already loads of bidders on eBay. They will all be Scotland supporters buying them, there is nothing surer.
"These football shirts will be very common this summer. Jason Scotland will be proud, no doubt."
Tahlia Hughes, the manager of Sport World in the St James Centre, Edinburgh, said: "I have already had 50 inquiries from people about the Trinidad and Tobago shirt. It's mainly because they are playing England and the shirt is nicer than the other ones in the group. I think it will be our top seller this season."
A manager at Sports World in Dundee said: "We are definitely expecting the Trinidad and Tobago Scotland shirt to be our most popular one of the season."
At Footlocker in Argyle Street, Glasgow, the manageress said: "I have had about 20 to 30 people asking for these particular shirts."
A spokesman for Adidas said he was aware of Trinidad and Tobago's expected cult status with the Tartan Army. He said: "We do expect a high level of interest in Trinidad and Tobago merchandise in Scotland - as we do from any team that's playing England, really. "
Owen Coyle, the St Johnstone manager, said: "It would be nice if Scotland was actually playing in the World Cup, but I suppose in a way this is one means of saying Scotland is in the World Cup."
As for Jason Scotland himself, he said: "It's great just to be in the team, but to have Scotland's support as well makes it special. It would be extra special if we beat England - I think the fans at my club would be pleased."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 02:42:22 PM by Flex »
-be the change you wish to see-

TrinInfinite

Re: Jason Up For World Cup
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:33:06 PM »
if there is one man getting drop its wolfe, he not even de bess in the local league, bc i wouldnt even think about dropping scotland or glen, not atall.

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 02:53:35 PM »
de man is on top of de score leaders at  de moment 2
 :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
if there is one man getting drop its wolfe, he not even de bess in the local league, bc i wouldnt even think about dropping scotland or glen, not atall.

Instead a supportin a man who have a chance to go to the World Cup...a local based player at that.....you only about hatin on de fella.  And den you does want to play you comin on here like you is dis super Trini.  U movin no better dan RF.

Be happy fuh de man nah....steupes.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:13:56 PM »

Instead a supportin a man who have a chance to go to the World Cup...a local based player at that.....you only about hatin on de fella. And den you does want to play you comin on here like you is dis super Trini. U movin no better dan RF.

Be happy fuh de man nah....steupes.

Fuh trute, and same person arguing that not enough local representation in the team. Wolfe make it this far, he have just as good a chance as any if he can impress. Squad done selected, time for everybody on d squad to push each other to another level.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Up For World Cup.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 08:21:52 PM »
“I want to finish top scorer in the division because that’s what strikers are paid for. No disrespect to St Johnstone, but if managers at top clubs see my name at the top of the charts they might take a look and the World Cup is a great stage.

oh gosh we need to teach our playas to think it but dont say it out loud. People over there memory long and they very passionate.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Up For World Cup.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 09:58:21 PM »

"These football shirts will be very common this summer. Jason Scotland will be proud, no doubt."
Tahlia Hughes, the manager of Sport World in the St James Centre, Edinburgh, said: "I have already had 50 inquiries from people about the Trinidad and Tobago shirt. It's mainly because they are playing England and the shirt is nicer than the other ones in the group. I think it will be our top seller this season."
A manager at Sports World in Dundee said: "We are definitely expecting the Trinidad and Tobago Scotland shirt to be our most popular one of the season."

Some likes da design of  kits :angel:

1]; } ?>