April 29, 2024, 06:10:08 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 901615 times)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FOREVER
« Reply #1890 on: September 17, 2009, 06:37:21 AM »
In the two defeats against Manchester City and Manchester United we really only have ourselves to blame. Look at the goals against United. A penalty given away by a keeper who I have never been convinced of since the 2006 Champions League final. The second was an inexplicable freak own goal by Diaby. Before that United hadn't had a sniff at goal.

It was the same thing with City. Although they created more chances than United, only our individual mistakes gave them the win. It was exactly the same against Liege. Straight from the kick-off the Belgian side had an enthusiasm and determination only matched by their crowd.

Their reward was to score after two minutes through a Mangala volley. Yet was it really deserved? Any team can run around and pressure players in front of a noisy crowd. The goal didn't come from that though. The goal came from Eduardo failing to clear the ball, and instead tried a fancy flick just outside the 18-yard box. This was no young gun. This was an experienced international, so hold those of you who are quick to blame any mistakes on the young players.

The second goal was again down to a mistake by an experienced player. Whether you think the penalty was rightly given doesn't matter. There was no real danger, nothing we couldn't deal with but William Gallas, another experienced international, was to blame.

Now this where me opinion and many others differ. I think it's a good sign that the mistakes were all Liege really had at scoring. Through the whole game they didn't have clear-cut chance to score, only a few measly strikes from outside the box. My point is that when we cut out the mistakes, what do the other teams do? Every team we've played has had to rely on our mistakes to score and that is a dangerous way to play.

Now I don't say we will keep making mistakes every game and they will be punished. Players make mistakes every game, but not like the ones we've seen against Liege and the Manchester teams. I seriously doubt Abou Diaby will score an own goal like that again. I seriously doubt Eduardo will try that flick again, or anything similar to it.

Another great thing that struck me against Liege was the maturity, patience and intelligence of the Arsenal players. Many on the site have been criticising Francesc Fabregas for being lazy and uninspired. Maybe he was playing a controlled game. Saving energy while Liege wasted theirs.

There is only so much chasing and pressing a team can do before they slip-up mentally or physically. That's exactly what happened on the 45th minute mark. A great run by Emmanuel Eboue led to him slipping a through ball to Nicklas Bendther whose defender allowed him to much time and space. Bendther managed to hit the ball through the keepers legs. The goal came from consistent movement and interchange of the ball, wearing down the Liege players physically and mentally.

Now it might sound like a contradiction for Arsenal to wait for the other team to make a mistake, but here is where the difference lies. Arsenal force the opposition to make mistakes. It's not like Liege passed the ball around well waiting for us to make a mistake. They charged forward in front of their noisy crowd and got lucky. Manchester United certainly got lucky against us.

The second half of the Liege game started off in similar fashion as the first. Apart from another Arsenal mistake, which nearly resulted in a goal, we dominated.

It wasn't until the 76th minute when Fabregas finally hit a good free kick did Arsenal finally equalise. Now I have defended Fabregas' overall play from people who think they know his mental state or even his game. However, the Spaniard only hit one good free kick.

The goal itself was lucky but the result was still the same. Fabregas' free-kick to the back post fell to Song in an offside position. He managed to squirm the ball (under suspicions of handball) to Thomas Vermaelen who put the ball away.

All momentum was with Arsenal at this point and we nearly took the lead after Fabregas slipped a ball to Eduardo put the keeper made a great save. Eduardo was not to be denied, and from a corner the ball somehow found it was to him on the 6 yard box and he made no mistake about finishing.

So we had come from two goals down to win and still didn't get the plaudits, yet Liege who threw away a two goal lead got praised. The commentator said Liege were playing fantastically and wouldn't be surprised if they won by 5 goals.

Why? They didn't create anything. They certainly didn't play well. They just defended and got lucky. Arsenal on the other hand tried to play football. For 90 minutes we passed and moved, did the right things and got criticised. By doing the right things we will force any team into making mistakes. The teams we faced didn't do the right things. We did the wrong things. If we can eradicate these I truly believe we will then be strong title contenders.

Now there might be some doom and gloom around Arsenal and their title hopes at the moment but let's look at the competition. Chelsea cannot sign anybody until 2011. With the African Nations Cup coming up, alongside their ageing squad, injuries and depletion will determine how well they fare. Here's a thought. What if Anelka gets injured while Drogba is away? They can't sign anyone. Manchester and Liverpool are in the same boat. We've proved we can cope without Fabregas, or Andrey Arshavin, or Robin van Persie. They haven't proved they can cope without Rooney, or Torres or Gerrard. Liverpool will falter with both of them playing anyway.

That just leaves City. I can't actually judge how they will fare this season. It's too early to tell. I am not trying to rely on injuries for Arsenal to succeed but to point out clubs are in a worse position than we are. All I ask is to have some faith in the team and the manager. Trust in the team and I have no doubt we can win the league if we cut out our mistakes.

copied from arsenal-mania.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 17, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »
No mention of the dive?  No hue and outcry?

Surprising.  Then again Song pull it back with ah tief goal too.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 17, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »

That was rell bull, that they got that goal. I don't like the way they won, but at the end of the day, I want the English clubs to do well in CL.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »

That was rell bull, that they got that goal. I don't like the way they won, but at the end of the day, I want the English clubs to do well in CL.

Turnabout is fair play... Jovanovic dive was clear as day.  Gallas never touched him.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 18, 2009, 06:18:49 AM »
wigan tomorrow morning
we will see if we settle and get the 3 points and back on track

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 18, 2009, 06:40:33 AM »
wigan tomorrow morning
we will see if we settle and get the 3 points and back on track

scotty bussing allyuh net to make allyuh drop points  :devil:
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 18, 2009, 07:01:46 AM »
Arsenal have to send a strong message to certain players. Clichy, Eboue and Diaby all had poor games. Ok Diaby set up the goal off a clever run & pass but other than that he lost the ball far too often in midfield. Clichy like he have tabanca because his mind not on the game & he seems to be getting pushed around. Eboue is certainly a right back and the experimenting is over, he is a sub for Sanga. Wilshire & Nasri for that wide right position.

Arsenal caused their own problems against Standard L and if it were any other team they would not have found their way back. They basically had two chances and a half chance and scored 3
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 18, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »
yeah boy i find clichy sub par so far this season

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 19, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »
I now see Spike Lee in the stands in the Emirates.
Arsenal not winning anything for a long time.
He go jinx allyuh just like the Knicks
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 19, 2009, 08:42:29 AM »
I now see Spike Lee in the stands in the Emirates.
Arsenal not winning anything for a long time.
He go jinx allyuh just like the Knicks

nah man- ease up the fella....arsenal eh win notting long time now
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

giggsy11

« Reply #1900 on: September 19, 2009, 08:49:07 AM »
Wigan looking like this year's version of Newcastle. Damn Van Persie does thro!

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 19, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
van persie needs a partner up front, but defenders have to close him or its trouble, that frees up space for the wings and midfeild

i still nto totally sold on the 4 3 3

decent game but low gear for arsenal, at least manonne had a clean sheet, vermaelen was a monster, i see him as arsenal captain some time, esp if cesc goes barca

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #1902 on: September 19, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »
good to see they beating up the weaker teams. 4-1. 6-1. 4-0.
arsenal have a habit of dropping points against teams low in the table so this is a good sign.

giggsy11

« Reply #1903 on: September 19, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »
What a soap oprea!

ADEBAYOR ROW STARTED OVER BOOTS
City striker will drag Van Persie into FA fight

By Neil Ashton, 19/09/2009

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR'S feud with Robin van Persie began last season when he walked off with his strike partner's boots.
And the disgraced Adebayor will add insult to injury by dragging Van Persie into his battle with the FA.

The City striker was banned for three matches for raking Dutchman Van Persie's face with his studs during last week's explosive clash with Arsenal.

But the roots of their confrontation stretch back to the final day of last season when Adebayor scooped up boots and kit from the Arsenal dressing room.

The former Gunners striker walked into the home changing room at the Emirates with a bin liner and filled it with the boots of first team players.

Van Persie, who had scored twice in a 4-1 win against Stoke and intended to give his boots to friends as a momento, was livid.

He was stunned when a kitman told him that Adebayor had taken all the players' boots before leaving the Emirates for the last time.

Arsenal confirmed last night that Adebayor, who missed the game through injury, had taken the boots of several players.

A club official said: "Adebayor took all the boots from the dressing room without permission.

"He swept the dressing room."

Van Persie, along with skipper Cesc Fabregas and other Arsenal stars were told about the amazing incident by the kit men. By then Adebayor had already left the stadium with the boots and other items of kit that he had picked up off the dressing room floor.

Arsenal's backroom staff witnessed the extraordinary scenes, but were powerless to act.

And an Arsenal source said: "Normally at the end of the season players give their boots away to friends, family or a charity, but they couldn't because Ade had taken the lot.

"We never saw him - or the boots - again.

"Robin was going mad. They couldn't believe a team-mate earning £80,000 a week would do that."

When quizzed about the incident, Adebayor's agent Stephane Courbis claimed last night: "At the end of the season it is usual for players to take the materials they will not be using any more.

"A lot of African players take kit back to their country because the facilities and conditions in Africa are not the same as they are in England."

Meanwhile Adebayor has not finished with Van Persie yet.

The Togo international plans to put his ex-team-mate in the dock when his improper conduct charge for provocative goal celebrations in front of the Arsenal fans at Eastland's, is heard by the FA.

The City striker is putting together a DVD package of controversial goal celebrations ahead of his hearing.

Van Persie ran to the crowd after equalising for Arsenal in their 4-2 defeat at City last weekend, and was alleged to have mouthed obscenities at City supporters.

The Dutch striker has not been charged by the FA and also escaped punishment following his scathing statement about his former strike partner.

Adebayor will point out that he did not leave the field of play when he ran nearly 90 yards to celebrate in front of Arsenal fans after scoring City's third.

The City striker has been banned for three games - including today's Manchester derby at Old Trafford - following the raking incident with van Persie.

And as they club attempt to ensure their star striker won't face further sanction, they have trawled through the archives for evidence and discovered a similar incident involving Thierry Henry and Tottenham supporters.

Eagle-eyed City chiefs have footage of the former Arsenal striker scoring at Highbury in a North London derby seven years ago, back in November 2002.

Henry then ignored his team-mates' attempts to stop him, running 90 yards up the touchline before sliding to his knees in front of Spurs supporters in the Clock End.

Henry escaped an FA rap, despite calls from Spurs fans for immediate action, and Adebayor will argue that his own celebration was similar.

The former Arsenal captain has also joined the debate over Adebayor's behaviour and slammed his ex-team-mate's criticism of the Gunners and boss Arsene Wenger.

Henry said: "You have to remember - no matter where you end up in life - the people who helped make you along the way and gave you the chance.

"I won the treble with Barcelona last year, but I know if it wasn't for Arsene and Arsenal I would not be the player I am today.

"I think the same has to be true of Adebayor. He might be one of the world's top strikers today but he wasn't before Arsene got hold of him and gave him that chance.

"When he came from Monaco he wasn't even getting games back in France and then, within two seasons, he was a player who was wanted by a lot of top clubs in Europe.

"Arsene puts a lot of investment in you when he sees talent and I don't think it would hurt for Adebayor to show him, the club and the fans a little more respect.

"The fans at Arsenal were great, they were and always will be my family.

"I never saw them behave badly, so to react like they did at the weekend shows just how angry and upset they were.

"They will you show you love and respect, but like any relationship they will ask for that love and respect back.

"No matter what Adebayor's emotions were he could have earned himself a lot of respect by not celebrating the goal.

"That would have shown real class, and that to be honest is what most players choose to do when they score against their old clubs, and I don't really understand why he didn't do that."

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 19, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
adebayor is a petualnt child we knew this before during and after his time at arsenal

he never accepts responsibility, always points fingers at others

theres no use arguing ppl will justify anything they do in life to hide from the truth

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: September 21, 2009, 05:25:07 AM »
That Henry incident was not similar. Many players celebrate in front of the opposition fans, but he did it to his former club. Henry never played for Spurs.

Well if we don't win anything this year we could always say Adebayor do some obeah with the boots.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:34:14 AM by MarylandTrini »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 21, 2009, 06:00:50 AM »
Ah boy...de drama continues.

And since yuh cyar equate Henry and Ade.....would it have been a problem if he did score in front de arsenal fans?

Cuz ah mean...he and Henry both run bout de full length of de pitch.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 22, 2009, 07:16:44 AM »
idiots

compare apples for apples

thierry never played for spurs, cannot draw parallels other than the length of thier runs

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 22, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »
van persie needs a partner up front, but defenders have to close him or its trouble, that frees up space for the wings and midfeild

decent game but low gear for arsenal, at least manonne had a clean sheet, vermaelen was a monster, i see him as arsenal captain some time, esp if cesc goes barca

Not sold on Van Persie as a striker (as I have said before) I would like to see an experiment where he is used wide right, a position where I felt he lookd very dangerous playing for Holland.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 22, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »

Thomas Paine

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: September 22, 2009, 07:55:04 AM »
Carling Cup tonight against West Brom.

My team :

.................Szczesny................
Eastmond Senderos Silvestre Gibbs
.................Coquelin...................
.....Ramsey................Traore.......
.......Wilshere............Vela .........
..................Watt.....................

Bench: Gilbert, Bartley, Randall, Frimpong, Barazite, Sunu

Merida and Hoyte at the world cup. Vela might not start though, just coming back from injury. Might be Barazite with Vela coming off the bench.

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 22, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »

Not sold on Van Persie as a striker (as I have said before) I would like to see an experiment where he is used wide right, a position where I felt he lookd very dangerous playing for Holland.

That's his best position. In my opinion the experiment is using him centrally.
I say .... Arshavin on the left, Van Persie on the right, and Eduardo central.
Bendtner when you want some physical presence.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 22, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »
idiots

compare apples for apples

thierry never played for spurs, cannot draw parallels other than the length of thier runs

Right.

So....if he did score at that end.....and celebrated....wha den?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: September 22, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »
Carling Cup tonight against West Brom.

My team :

.................Szczesny................
Eastmond Senderos Silvestre Gibbs
.................Coquelin...................
.....Ramsey................Traore.......
.......Wilshere............Vela .........
..................Watt.....................

Bench: Gilbert, Bartley, Randall, Frimpong, Barazite, Sunu

Merida and Hoyte at the world cup. Vela might not start though, just coming back from injury. Might be Barazite with Vela coming off the bench.

good call i rate barazite highly, hoping he gets a lil bigger and starts getting into these games as a starter   

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: September 22, 2009, 10:12:08 AM »
Rosiky should start in front of Vela. He needs games, plus I like watching him play  ;D
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: September 22, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
Wojciech Szczesny
James Shea
Philippe Senderos
Mikael Silvestre
Kieran Gibbs
Armand Traore
Kerrea Gilbert
Kyle Bartley
Mark Randall
Francis Coquelin
Craig Eastmond
Emmanuel Frimpong
Nacer Barazite
Aaron Ramsey
Gilles Sunu
Jack Wilshere
Carlos Vela
Sanchez Watt

18 man squad for game starts at 245pm

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: September 22, 2009, 01:20:25 PM »
Very open game with both teams going at it.
0-0 after 30 mins.

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: September 22, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
Very open game with both teams going at it.
0-0 after 30 mins.

38 minutes, still 0-0. former Arsenal player Jerome Thomas sent off for an elbow on Wilshere.

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 22, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »
The Carling cup kids win 2-0

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: September 22, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »
The Carling cup kids win 2-0