April 29, 2024, 05:17:17 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 901555 times)

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #5340 on: September 29, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
G'vino is a fustrating player to watch! He and Ramsey killed forward runs all game! What is the sense having Walcott and not using him to the best of his abilities? Man making the runs on the right and no ball coming his way. Maybe it was a 12:30pm game...dunno...
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: September 29, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »
G'vino is a fustrating player to watch! He and Ramsey killed forward runs all game! What is the sense having Walcott and not using him to the best of his abilities? Man making the runs on the right and no ball coming his way. Maybe it was a 12:30pm game...dunno...

I personally think Gervinho is a one-footed shithong.  Somebody should file ah injunction to have him stop using dat Portuguese name.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: October 02, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
Diaby injured again. Like that man is the last drainings of he father. Lard!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: October 03, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »
Nice win today! Wonder what celebrity is going to die tomorrow?
Victoria concordia crescit

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: October 03, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »
Who needs Van Persie when you have Gervinho?  :heehee:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: October 06, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Ramsey killing Arsenal on both ends of the ball. Defending poor & his decisions in possession poor.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: October 06, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
Last night on Twitter I saw arsenal asking "should Giroud start?"
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: October 06, 2012, 12:40:24 PM »

i knew he would start today and i had a feeling he would score which he did....he could have had 2 but was a lil unlucky.   great performance allround, westham have played some good football this season and will casue quite a few teams problems...especially with that carroll-nolan 1-2 combo...also diame had the game of his life...he will go back to being a nobody now ;D

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: October 06, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »

i knew he would start today and i had a feeling he would score which he did....he could have had 2 but was a lil unlucky.   great performance allround, westham have played some good football this season and will casue quite a few teams problems...especially with that carroll-nolan 1-2 combo...also diame had the game of his life...he will go back to being a nobody now ;D

Don"t think the Hammers fans will stand for that long ball bash them football for a long time. Its predictable & lacks flexibility.
Giroud did well today, he is technically better than Chamak & his movement is intelligent. He will come good. Cazola is a very special player & with him alone Arsenal have more scoring opportunity from outside the area in 6 games than they have in a year.
                                              Thomas Paine

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: October 06, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
Ramsey killing Arsenal on both ends of the ball. Defending poor & his decisions in possession poor.

I didn't think he was that bad. Not as incisive as he has been in recent games and he look real foolish when Diame breed him and score but he had a decent game in the first half. Second was a lot better.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: October 07, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »
Ramsey should be no where near the starting 11...d man is piss poor!! Glad that Giroud scored, hopefully more will follow...Diame's goal was nice as well!
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: October 08, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
Ramsey should be no where near the starting 11...d man is piss poor!! Glad that Giroud scored, hopefully more will follow...Diame's goal was nice as well!

Apart from the 1 error against Diame I can't think of a reason to call him "piss poor". Maybe if you gave a few more examples.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: October 20, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
I expected the slow start after the International break. I don't blame the keeper for the goal, if only he was a little faster getting up... No surprises wth g'vino and Ramsey...one trick pony and piss poor respectively.

- John F. Kennedy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: October 22, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Gervinho has been much better in the middle than out wide recently. It's a shame he wasnt shifted there. With Norwich sitting deep we could have used some movement up front. Not to say he didn't just play crap this weekend because he did (including another nice air kick from a beautiful cross).

I think Arsenal when chasing games like this one should shift Gervinho in the middle with Giroud and stick Cazorla on the right flank in a 4-4-2. Wenger's subs made no sense. Ramsey was awful. Gnabry looked promising on his debut but it's asking too much to expect him to save the game.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: October 23, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
Although I am a Liverpool fan, I am a big admirer of Thierry Henry. I found this clip on you tube. For the benefit of those Arsenal fans who have not seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzI38BF-FI

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
Where is the great arsenal that went a whole season un defeated?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: October 25, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »

Gone long time. Along with quality players who don't miss half a season due to injury. And tactical flexibility to adjust to the shortages.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: October 30, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
This ref is an Arsenal fan.

They went down 4-0 in the first half and score the equalizer in the 6th minute of 4 minutes of stoppage time.
Meanwhile Koscielny should have had a second yellow. The equalizing goal had to score twice b/c the linesman ent see it go over the line, nor the handball on the line just before that.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #5358 on: October 30, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »

Gone long time. Along with quality players who don't miss half a season due to injury. And tactical flexibility to adjust to the shortages.

I find it strange wenger could coach a bomb squad like that, but fraid to spend the bucks to get back players of that calibre.
Youtube Channel

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: October 30, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
nice comeback

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: October 30, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »
Chamakh gives arsenal the lead.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: October 30, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
Obeah
Youtube Channel

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: October 30, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
This game is rediculous.
12 goals!

7-5 for Arsenal

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: October 30, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
Game, Set, Match

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: October 31, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
Nice win but that defending boy! Jeezan!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: November 01, 2012, 07:33:02 AM »

Worrying! both 1v1 & in the air. The defenders over commit in 1v1 situations & don't challenge in the air to be there first
                                              Thomas Paine

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: November 01, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »

Worrying! both 1v1 & in the air. The defenders over commit in 1v1 situations & don't challenge in the air to be there first

Koscielny seems to be regressing sharply. To me he was Arsenal's best centre back last season. Now he looks like doing the same thing Djourou did after his shoulder injury. Miquel and Martinez were awful but then they are very raw. Jenkinson didn't look good either but he has played enough excellent games to get a bligh for this one. Frimpong not ready either. Coquelin was decent but only really came to life when Eisfeld came on. The defensive display was sluggish and lackadaisical. Those players all have the ability to do better.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: November 02, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
Always strongly objected to the criticisms of Walcott. He is no Henry but people who say he is crap are completely misguided. Unfortunately, I fear he may be sold in January.

Theo Walcott, not a bad little footballer after all

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/theo-walcott-not-a-bad-little-footballer-after-all/

Theo Walcott isn’t the greatest footballer ever, that’s Theirry Henry. Theo Walcott has limitations but every footballer has limitations, except Dennis Bergkamp and Theirry Henry — who were peerless. But, Theo Walcott is also not as limited as the lazy pundits make him out to be.

I’m not just writing this because Walcott had a great game against Reading, but rather because the Reading game was a reminder of what’s great about Walcott. And since I wrote my piece about the game yesterday and highlighted his performance, both the player and I have come in for quite a bit of criticism. Which is fair enough! Criticize away, I can take it.

Most of the criticism has come in the form of tropes or cliches about his footballing ability. “He needs space” being the main one and the subsequent “he doesn’t fit Arsenal’s system” backing the “he needs space” critique. Both of these are about how teams like West Ham and Aston Villa pack the defense and thereby neutralize Walcott’s effectiveness.

Somewhere in his career, possibly at the very start and almost certainly at the hands of someone like Mark Lawrenson, Walcott was tagged as a “speed merchant” damning him with the label for the rest of his career. And it’s true, sadly, Walcott is fast. Maybe he should slow down so that pundits like Chris Waddle have time to catch up to what Walcott is doing.

It’s also true that Walcott, like Thierry Henry, loves it, LOVES IT, when he gets the ball on the counter attack and there are acres of  space and few defenders to beat. Hell, show me an out and out striker who doesn’t love that situation. Thierry Henry was a massive counter attacking threat. Pires or Bergkamp would just play the ball to him and off he would go! Just like Cazorla or Arshavin playing the ball to Theo and letting him run at a defense caught with its pants down.

But Walcott, and you cannot deny this, is probably faster than Henry and has amazing touch for a player that fast. You try to control a through ball when running at full speed and I guarantee you’ll look a lot more like Gervinho than Walcott. So, if the defenders give him space and he’s given a ball to run onto Theo Walcott will more than likely control and have a one-on-one versus the keeper. That’s what we’ve now come to call “a typical Walcott goal.” And I will admit, it’s his speciality.

It was (and still is) a specialty of Thierry Henry and I don’t say that to make a comparison between the two but rather to make a comparison between the two teams. Henry is a special talent. His run and goal against Real Madrid was one of the best moments I have ever experienced as a fan. Henry should be awarded a small fiefdom for his goal against Tottenham because it was simply majestic. Walcott has moments similar to those, but the problem is that this Arsenal team aren’t set up to play counter attacking football. This Arsenal team are a possession based team and that often means that Arsenal will find themselves with the ball, passing around in the opposition half, and looking for a breakthrough.

Which is where Theo Walcott is not very good, right?

Well, I went back and looked at his goal scoring record and watched a number of his goals and assists. My conclusion is that we should continue to give him credit for his pace, touch, and finishing when the opposition gifts him space but we need to back down a bit off this meme that he doesn’t do well against teams who pack the defense.

For example, Sam Allardyce’s West Ham. West Ham went up 1-0 and packed the defense in. After Poldi and Giroud combined to bring the game level, West Ham earned a corner. Arsenal countered off that corner and Theo scored a “typical Walcott goal”, latching onto a through ball controlling, and finishing beautifully. West Ham packed in the defense again and let Arsenal poke around the outside looking for an opening. Walcott dribbled past several defenders, passed to Cazorla who elected to bypass Walcott’s good run and shoot a wondergoal instead. Walcott is credited with the assist. It’s a dubious assist to be fair, and a kind of ugly dribble (not Henryesque), but here’s a player who supposedly can’t score against teams who pack the defense scoring, dribbling, and providing an assist against the king of defense packers.

But let’s put that one down to providence. He was lucky.

How about the 5-3 against Chelsea last year? Do you remember his goal? It was again against a team that was packing the defense. Walcott dribbles, is tripped, gets up, keeps dribbling and with half a chance, finishes.

But let’s put that one down to providence. He was lucky.

Ok, how about Aston Villa last year in the FA Cup? Villa have the lead at 2-1 and their manager is another known defense packer, Allie McLeish. Their defense is set up so deep that some of the players complain of getting the bends when they venture near the half-way line. Theo Walcott, simply, dribbles around half the team and scores from close range after the ball pings around off Richard Dunne.

But Theo Walcott was lucky again!

How about Fulham? Martin Jol is a defense packer and doubleplus packs the defense when his team have the lead. So, anyway, Fulham are up 1-0 after a Vermaelen own goal and it’s getting late but Fulham are packing in the defense. Walcott gets the ball on the right and puts  in a cross. Vermaelen heads home. 1-1 Arsenal.

Lucky, Theo.

Remember QPR? Sparky loves to set his teams up to play defense first and especially if they have a one goal lead. So QPR are up one nil and they have 8 men behind the ball, and it’s just Rosicky, Walcott, and van Persie in attack. But Walcott makes a really smart little run, gets some space, shoots off the post and puts the rebound back in for Arsenal’s only goal.

What a lucky boy.

I could go on and on. In the space of a few weeks, Walcott scored against Villa, QPR and Wolves. Against Wolves he just earns a penalty with a lovely run in crowded space, then gets himself a goal against Wolves who are crowding the box. And I could, I suppose, go back another year and find further examples of Theo scoring or providing assists against these defensive teams.

All probably just luck.

Looking at all of his goals, I have to admit that Walcott is most effective breaking at speed or counter attacking and that Arsenal don’t do this as well as they probably should.

That said, Walcott’s not as bad as some pundits would like you to believe. And maybe he does occasionally score against teams that pack it in.

Perhaps it’s all luck, but let’s remember this is a player who is just 23 years old. He will get better over the next four years as he gains experience. I think it would be a shame to lose him as I think he’s really starting to show what he can offer Arsenal. Thankfully, it looks like Arsenal’s position may be softening, at least their PR position is softening, since they ran an article this morning saying that Arsenal have “urgency” in their contract talks with Theo.

Maybe he’s not the most graceful player to dribble the air out of a ball and maybe he does need someone to provide him with service more than other players (it’s a point I’ve made before), but his finishing is great, as are his runs, his crosses, and his touch at pace.

I was one of the people who was sanguine about him leaving, but he’s changed my mind on that with his performances so far this season and I think Arsenal should keep him now rather than let him blossom at another team.

He’s not a bad little footballer. He’s no Thierry Henry, he’s Theo.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: November 03, 2012, 06:48:50 AM »
Vermalen sell out or what?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior