April 29, 2024, 03:40:22 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 901450 times)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FOREVER
« Reply #1530 on: July 05, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »
Former Arsenal midfielder Gilberto Silva says he has urged his Brazil team-mate Felipe Melo to join the Gunners this summer.

The Gunners are reported to have made a substantial offer for Fiorentina's 25-year-old holding midfielder.

"We heard rumours and he asked me. I said it's a fantastic club and if he's interested he should go without thinking," Silva told BBC Sport.

"He is exactly what they need - a powerful player with quality."

Gilberto, who left the Gunners for Panathinaikos in Greece last summer, added: "If they got him it would be great because he is a player they need at the moment.

"I'm sure if they got him it would be a good signing. I have told him Arsenal is a great club and I am sure next season they will improve."

The 32-year-old Silva, who spent six seasons with the Gunners, played alongside Melo in Brazil's Confederations Cup final win over the US and said he had been impressed with his side-kick throughout the tournament.

"He is a very good player," said Silva after his side's 3-2 win at Ellis Park on Sunday.

"Felipe has shown in the national team that he has personality and quality."

"I am sure he has a lot more to grow as well. He is a young player, strong, powerful and has a good quality in his pass.

"My partnership with him works well and I hope we can carry on doing well for Brazil."

The Gunners are reported to face competition from La Liga and Champions League champions Barcelona for Melo's signature.

Melo has played only one season for Fiorentina after joining the Italian side from Spain's Almeria last summer.

He has a reputation as a fiery midfielder and in his first season in Serie A collected 17 yellow cards and three reds.

Fiorentina maintained that he was not for sale / he didn't want to leave.
Signed a contract entension today.
Moving on .....
Lorik Cana?

Contract extension with a higher trigger price for the player.  Maybe Fiorentina didn't have that in the original contract and realized that Melo's stock is much higher that when they bought him.  Contracts don't say much now-a-days.

my guess is they made him sign that extension wit the release clause knowing they gonna sell him..in any case..reliable sources in italy say on tuesday fiorentina and juve directors meeting to hammer out somthin..its reported that we offerin 17 mil and grygera + marchionni...also alleged that we agreed personal terms with melo...think 5 year contract 3.5mil a season...hope it all works out..

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 07, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/training

arsenal pre-season training pics

rosicky and eduardo are back

so is senderos? and new boy Vermaelen also young guns wilshire and gibbs

think arsenals "weak squad" days might be over

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 07, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/training

arsenal pre-season training pics

rosicky and eduardo are back

so is senderos? and new boy Vermaelen also young guns wilshire and gibbs

think arsenals "weak squad" days might be over

Vermaelen looks like a good buy. Hope he settles in quickly.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 07, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »
ok just youtubed the dude

buy him now!

i like his fight, and a bigger version of Flamini, and i bet he'd turna few of the Arsenal boys into men

I hope Wenger eh buyin' players based on youtube...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 08, 2009, 04:50:20 AM »
Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Robin van Persie has signed a new long-term contract with the Club.

Van Persie (25), who joined the Gunners from home town club Feyenoord in 2004, was Arsenal’s leading goalscorer last season with 20 goals from his 44 overall appearances.

In his five seasons with Arsenal, Van Persie, who is capable of turning a match at any time with a flourish of his left foot, has made 177 appearances for the Gunners, scoring a total of 63 goals in all competitions.

The Dutch international striker, is also a regular with his national team and has scored 13 goals from his 37 appearances, already helping the Netherlands qualify for the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa.

Van Persie, who was an FA Cup winner with the Club in 2005, played an integral part in Arsenal’s run to the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup semi-finals last season. As well as his 11 Premier League goals, Robin scored five times in the Champions League and four in the FA Cup. Throughout the season, Robin produced many important and match winning performances, most notably scoring both goals in the 2-1 league win at Chelsea last November.

Arsène Wenger said: “It’s fantastic news that Robin van Persie has committed his long term future to Arsenal Football Club, we’re all delighted. Robin is a hugely gifted player and has the talent and goalscoring ability to win matches at the very top level. We have already seen many times what Robin is capable of on a football pitch, but at only 25, there is still much more to come from him. Robin has the potential to become a true Arsenal great.”

Robin van Persie added: “I’m so happy to have signed a new long term contract. I’ve been at the Club for five years now and there really is a great feeling here at Arsenal. We have a top class manager, a squad full of superb young players, a world class stadium and brilliant supporters. Arsenal Football Club has a very bright future and I want to be part of it.

"My heart is with Arsenal and I just can’t picture myself in a different shirt. I just can’t see it now because I love this Club so much. If you look at the last five years, look at the steps I have made every season, if you look at the support the Boss and the whole Club gave me, the fans gave me, my team mates gave me – this is the right decision."

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club is looking forward to Robin’s continued contribution in the forthcoming years.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 08, 2009, 05:33:30 AM »
mods ah find if A  team n win ah trophy in  ah million years then that said team must not get A separate thread :devil:
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #1536 on: July 08, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
mods ah find if A  team n win ah trophy in  ah million years then that said team must not get A separate thread :devil:

lol ... I see this thread and say to myself, "wayy boy - Arsenal still playing football?" ... same goes with Liverpool
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 08, 2009, 10:37:16 AM »
keep it up numb nuts you just bump the thread to the top

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 10, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2009/07/08/1371501/english-angle-no-felipe-melo-no-ambition-no-chance-of-arsene

English Angle: No Felipe Melo, No Ambition & No Chance Of Arsene Wenger Making Arsenal Great Again

The Gunners have lost yet another potentially perfect signing, as Goal.com's Sulmaan Ahmad wonders whether Wenger's philosophy is enough anymore.

In an age in which football - like every other sport - is having its course dictated by commercial business, you can only admire a man of pure intentions and principles.

Arsene Wenger has made it abundantly clear he is against big business 'corrupting' football, and is more concerned with maintaining a stable, recession-proof economic policy. Playing it safe. Slow and steady wins the race.

The only problem is, you only tell the Tortoise and the Hare story to children, Aesop has been dead for over 2000 years and the only race slow and steady wins is one to a Europa League place - at best.

Zinedine Zidane didn't become the greatest footballer of modern times by being particularly industrious or hard-working, Axel Foley wasn't the best detective on Beverly Hills Cop because he followed the letter of the law and Bill Gates didn't become the wealthiest man on the planet by building the Microsoft dynasty on a shoestring budget.

Fans just want their team to win, maybe not at all costs, but Arsene Wenger seems to think he can do it at next to no cost whatsoever and he can't.. The uncensored, insensitive reality of the football world is that is that €10 million is nothing. And so is Thomas Vermaelen.

Wenger assured fans at the Emirates - as the season reached its predictable, trophyless end - that experience would be signed in key positions this summer. At 23, Vermaelen has just over 20 caps for the Belgian national side and has come through the worst Ajax team for the last three to four decades.

Arsene has an eye for talent better than most, and there is nothing to say that Vermaelen, who has had ringing endorsements from the likes of Jaap Stam, couldn't develop into a class player. But there's that word again: development.

The fans, above all else, have become restless with the club's status as surrogates for French, African and French-African talents who either don't quite make the top grade, or do so and promptly head to a club where they have something of an assurance that they can line up alongside more players of proven quality and compete for major silverware.

Principles, after all, are relative - with many heavily criticising Wenger's policy of poaching many of 'his' best youth talents - while success is indisputably universal. The lack of balance in Wenger's philosophy and inability to adapt to compete in the age of Abramovich is disconcerting; but he is a man of such intelligence, you would be naive to suggest he doesn't realise the shortcomings of his transfer strategy.

And that is why there is growing belief that the pennysaver signings are nothing more than a fail-safe, to hide behind the guise of financial responsibility and youth development as an excuse for any potential failure, while snatching the likes of Gareth Barry or Xabi Alonso would put the onus squarely on the manager to deliver success.

Believe what you will, but don't believe it's unfair, don't believe there is no money and don't believe that Arsenal's decline from magical to a little mediocre is anyone's fault but the club's.

Having already given up on the likes of Gokhan Inler off the back of his impressive Euro 2008 showing, Wenger was presented with a chance to snap up Felipe Melo from Fiorentina. Fresh from Spanish outfit Almeria, in his debut Serie A season, the Brazilian was quite possibly the best midfielder in the league, a driving force behind the club qualifying for the Champions League for successive years for the first time in its history and now a regular with the Brazil national side, one of their star performers en route to Confederations Cup glory last month.

Arsenal reportedly put up just €14m for the combative Brazilian and were laughed off. Juventus are now on the verge of signing him for a fee in the region of €20-25m. Steep, yes, but such is the price of a player just one year into his contract and in such red-hot form. Bear in mind, this is not even a Juve under Luciano Moggi and coached by Fabio Capello or Marcello Lippi. This is a Juve ravaged by the Calciopoli scandal and putting money they don't even have into players they know they absolutely require.

Take Arsenal's €14m offer, take the €10m spent on Vermaelen, and tell me what you have. You have more than enough money to buy the perfect partner for Cesc Fabregas, which would immeasurably help him improve on his ponderous and unimpressive last season at the Emirates and flourish as the world class talent that he is before inevitably jetting back to Barcelona. It would restore Arsenal's strength in central midfield; the hub of any great football side, as demonstrated by Andres Iniesta and Xavi, Andrea Pirlo and Rino Gattuso or even Paul Scholes and Roy Keane.

Invariably, Arsene will now revert to type. His initial target, the Vermaelen-like Stephane Sessegnon of Paris-Saint Germain, has just renewed with the French capital club, but instead sights are now set on Blaise Matuidi at Saint-Etienne. While it can be condescending to constantly assume it takes a name to make a player, Arsenal's recent track record suggests enough no-names will inevitably lead to a no-team.

For a man who coaches his players with such passion and belief to take risks and go out to win, it is nothing short of a shame for football that he cannot take that same mentality into the boardroom. There is a reason Real Madrid head-hunted the Frenchman this summer. It wasn't the first time and may not even be the last, as he is a man universally recognised as embracing a special brand of football and nurturing of top talent.

But just as Barcelona won't produce a Fabregas, Iniesta, Messi and Pique as part of one generation every time, nor can Arsene realistically expect to snatch them up from other clubs, let alone produce four or five more Jack Wilsheres. Not Kieran Gibbs' or even Jay Simpsons, but Jack Wilsheres. There is a difference - let's stop acting like we don't know it.

The likes of Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira - astonishingly rejected by Serie A during its golden age - would not come cheaply in today's equivalent market and, perhaps Vieira excluded, they weren't exactly cheap then, either.

The 59-year-old may yet surprise us all and sign a player of immense experience in Mahamadou Diarra - a French-speaking African, just as he likes them - and having just turned 28, won four Ligue 1 titles with Lyon and two Primera Divisions with Real Madrid, will most likely be available for a fee in the region of €15m as Madrid clear-out as part of the Galacticos revolution. But if it's a straight shootout between he and 22-year-old, €7-10m Matuidi - where would you place your bet?

Signing two good players instead of one great talent will never beget success at the highest level. Rafa Benitez makes a better fist of it by playing a much less attractive brand of football and having spent big on the right players a couple of times - two options Wenger seems unwilling to consider.

Competing with Man City in the long-term is perhaps an unreasonable expectation, but at this rate - having already been callously removed from a big four now referred to as a 'big three' by many - they will be fighting all the way for their fourth place once again this coming season, out of depth to compete for either of the two top honours of the season.

It has never been as simple as spending and winning, but Wenger's overcomplicating of every movement in the transfer market is tarnishing his legacy in north London, even when taking into account how he took them from relative mediocrity to where they have since been and still are now.

The last straw could end up being anything from failure to qualify for the Champions League, finally finishing below Spurs in a league season or even Wenger leaving for the likes of Madrid - but what is at this point a guarantee for the chief proprietor of beautiful football is that, at this rate, it will be very, very ugly.

Sulmaan Ahmad, Goal.com

...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 10, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »
People still posting shit from goal.com?

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 10, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »
Just to clarify, Arsene Wenger is the Manager, not the CEO, Chairman, largest shareholder, owner or boardmember. There are others involved with money dealings. If Ken Friar or Peter Hill-Wood says for the next few years keep us in Europe and keep us competing while on a small budget, developing young talent and promoting through the reserves, then what?

Between last summer and now we got Nasri, Ramsey, Arshavin and Vermaelen. Thats more than 40 Million pounds.
Not bad for a club who just built a new stadium and is self-sufficient without a sugar daddy or the spanish government.

It's not all doom and gloom when looking at it this way:

Almunia
Sagna Verm Gallas Clichy
Rosicky Fabregas Denilson Arshavin
Van Persie Eduardo

and still have Adebayor, Nasri, Walcott, Vela, Bendtner, Toure, Eboue, Song, Gibbs, Diaby.

and we have till August 31 to get a new CDM

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 12, 2009, 07:00:32 AM »
i would pick...

Almunia
Sagna Verm Toure Clichy
Rosicky Fabregas Song Arshavin
Van Persie Eduardo

and still have Adebayor, Nasri, Walcott, Vela, Bendtner, Gallas, Eboue, Denilson, Gibbs, Diaby.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 12, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/jul/10/arsenal-theo-walcott

Arsenal's rich owners could have set an example – and provided money to the club – by seriously considering a rights issue

Alisher Usmanov's proposal that Arsenal should hold a rights issue was a shrewd one which probably merited a rather more serious response than it got.  The Arsenal board may believe Alisher Usmanov's rights issue proposal was a stalking horse to gain more control, something the Russian denies.

Arsenal's Russian major shareholder, Alisher Usmanov, does not perhaps fit every fan's ideal image of a man you would most like to be involved with your football club. But his proposal that Arsenal should hold a rights issue, which would mean he and Arsenal's other shareholders would reach into their own pockets to provide money, not debt, directly for the club to spend, was a shrewd one which probably merited a rather more serious response than it got.

Arsenal's chief executive, the bright, genuine Ivan Gazidis, somewhat slipped the news out yesterday, that the club's board had rejected Usmanov's suggestion. It was tucked into a Q & A format with Arsenal's own website, between positive player news: Robin van Persie has signed a new contract, Eduardo and Tomas Rosicky are back, Thomas Vermaelen, Arsenal's one signing so far of the summer, "will make a big impact," and other young players including Theo Walcott, Kieran Gibbs and Jack Wilshere, have "committed their long term futures to the club."

So all good news and lots to look forward to. And in addition the board, with its financial advisors, Rothschild, has examined and rejected the rights issue idea, which Usmanov's advisors said could raise £150m for the club if he and the other shareholders, including Stan Kroenke and Danny Fiszman, had paid their money in substantially.

Gazidis' reasoning was that Arsenal do not need the money. They do not need it to reduce the club's £416m debts, because "the club has a very efficient capital structure with long-term debt on attractive interest rates." Nor should Arsenal raise money from shareholders to spend it on "one or two players in an inflated transfer market." Instead, they should continue as they are, because they make enough money from the high ticket prices Arsenal fans fork out for, and all the other till-ringing revenues at the Emirates Stadium, "to comfortably meet the annual costs of [the club's] debt while at the same time generating surplus funds to invest in the club."

There are, however, one or two obvious counters to that argument. The first is that the swish apartments being built in the sacred shells of Highbury's East and West Stands - the most prestigious flats in north London, the estate agents' brochures would have you know - were intended to deliver the club a windfall of £100m if the property bubble had not popped. The vast majority of the flats are contracted to be sold, but the prospective buyers cannot now get mortgages. Not only is there no prospect of the £100m windfall – which could well have been used to reduce debt or buy a player or two – but also, a £133m bank loan on the development is due for repayment in April and having to be renegotiated right now. To say Arsenal have no use for money from the rights issue is a little close to arguing they would have had no use for the £100m hoped-for profit from the Highbury flats.

The second most obvious difficulty with the rejection of the rights issue is that Arsenal could have set an example had they given it serious consideration. It is important to understand what a rights issue actually is. It is an issue of new shares to the existing shareholders, principally Usmanov, Kroenke and Fiszman, who would pay Arsenal directly for those new shares. All the other, smaller shareholders would also have the right to buy more shares, some new ones could also be created for fans or investors to buy. Care could have been taken not to give Usmanov or Kroenke a much larger stake, and to protect the stakes of the smaller shareholders.

The virtue of this way of raising money for a football club – or any company - is that the shareholders pay money directly in to buy the shares. Pure cash goes to the club's bank account for it to spend as it thinks wisest. It is not debt; the shareholders are not lending the money, as happens at many other football clubs, which are so in hock to their "benefactors."

Arsenal like to think of themselves as a model club, embodying traditional virtues. A rights issue, in which the rich men in charge actually invest real money, no strings attached, for their club to spend, would have set an example to the clubs existing beyond their means on loans from "sugar daddies," or, worse, those like Manchester United and Liverpool, whose north American owners loaded the clubs with debt to pay for the costs of their own takeovers.

The other problem Arsenal have with rejecting the rights issue is that three longstanding shareholders have recently made multi-millions personally out of selling Arsenal shares, but not a penny of it has gone into the club. Usmanov himself paid £75m to David Dein for the former vice-chairman's stake, which Dein bought in the 1980s and early 1990s for a fingernail of that sum. Fiszman made £42.5m personally – tax free because he is resident in Switzerland – by selling an eight per cent slice of Arsenal to Kroenke in April. Richard Carr, holder of shares which were in his family for generations, made more than £40m when he sold 4,839 shares to Kroenke for "£8,500 per share and £10,500 per share," according to Arsenal's official announcement, on May 1.

All these millionaires, including Fiszman and Carr who are directors, custodians of the club, have made many more millions for themselves out of selling their Arsenal shares. That makes the board's argument that the shareholders, including Fiszman, do not need to pay money into the club, a little more difficult.

Kroenke has rapidly become Arsenal's largest shareholder, with 28.3%, even though David Dein was effectively marched out of the building in 2007 for having encouraged Kroenke to buy into the club. Now Kroenke is a director, favoured by the board, a close ally of Fiszman, while Usmanov, who has 25% of the club, is kept away from decision making.

Kroenke, though, has said almost nothing about why he is buying up so much of Arsenal, and what his intentions are. For all the money he has spent buying up shares, none of it has gone into the club itself.

Nor has any of Usmanov's, but by making the proposal, he was offering to put significant money in, and inviting the other shareholders to do the same. They may well have valid reasons for rejecting that offer. The board may believe the rights issue is a stalking horse for Usmanov to gain more control – which he denies – and they may feel they have good reasons for being suspicious of Usmanov, who spent time in prison in Russia before, he has said, being officially pardoned when the regime changed.

It might, though, make more sense if the Arsenal board spell those reasons out. The idea that the club could simply not use, at all, £150m, does not quite wash. And the club's ordinary supporters, not many of whom are tax exile multi-millionaires, are being asked to pay some of the highest ticket prices in football, while the rich men in the boardroom solemnly maintain a firm public stance that they should not have to put any money into the club at all.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 12, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »
good read
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 13, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »
interesting yes

but wont change our policies, christ if SAF says the market is overinflated and impossible to get value. you think the arsenal board will allow shareholders to throw cash down a hole, gambling on players looking for higher wages (which arsenal aren't the best) or clubs looking to cash in (Manu would have been brain dead not to send ronaldo)

I think arsenals squad as it stands un injured will be even more competitive than last season, we lost it really in the first half. i don't think liverpool will improve, nor have chelsea, aston villa may flatter to decieve and man city are still a ways off.

one negative that will have players reconsider a move to city, no champs league
make as much money as you like but players want europe and they want the best of europe

arsenal has the tallent and desire, if adebayor goes city he wil only be branded greedy, say what he wants about the fans being unapriciative, we knew he was a primadonna (togo behavior and last club)
all in all
ARSENAL ARE CONTENDERS AND SERIOUS ONES AT THAT

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: July 13, 2009, 10:42:50 AM »
Aparantly Usmanov wanted a seat on the board too. The Arsenal board does not want him around, that's why they gave Kroenke a seat instead. The lesser of two evils.

Usmanov is very shady. He is an alleged rapist, drug dealer and allegedly responsible for a few witnesses "disppearing". He spent 6 years in jail in the 80's until he was pardoned by Uzbek president Karimov (who has been accused of corruption and human rights violations). The articles written on them by former British ambassador to Uzbekistan Craig Murray, have been removed and banned. I read it a little while ago but lost the link to it.

It's not about selling out to any billionaire with a proposal and a plan.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:48:47 AM by MarylandTrini »

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:57 AM »
Aparantly Usmanov wanted a seat on the board too. The Arsenal board does not want him around, that's why they gave Kroenke a seat instead. The lesser of two evils.

Usmanov is very shady. He is an alleged rapist, drug dealer and allegedly responsible for a few witnesses "disppearing". He spent 6 years in jail in the 80's until he was pardoned by Uzbek president Karimov (who has been accused of corruption and human rights violations). The articles written on them by former British ambassador to Uzbekistan Craig Murray, have been removed and banned. I read it a little while ago but lost the link to it.

Those same shareholders have no trouble taking his money once it goes into their personal bank accounts though?  Its only when its offered to buy players to make the club better, they have a problem taking the "rapist" money.  the article completely flew over your head i see :) i understand love for a club, but it is this blind love i can't understand.  hard to have any decent convo with allyuh men yes.  read the article again...

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »

Those same shareholders have no trouble taking his money once it goes into their personal bank accounts though?  Its only when its offered to buy players to make the club better, they have a problem taking the "rapist" money.  the article completely flew over your head i see :) i understand love for a club, but it is this blind love i can't understand.  hard to have any decent convo with allyuh men yes.  read the article again...

sobs like yuh didnt read miy coment

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »

Maybe you should read my post again. Do you think Usmanov proposed the rights issue with nothing to gain himself?
Be it more shares or a seat in the boardroom, the club doesn't want him to have an active role.

He gained his shares from David Dein. Two years ago, Dein wanted a takeover from Kroenke. They threw Dein out and he sold his shares to Usmanov. Since then Dein has broken his ties with him, and the board had  a lockdown agreement in place preventing him from gaining a 30% stake, which he needs for a takeover. So stay there and think the shareholders have no problem taking his money. If someone buys shares from someone else, does that put money into the other shareholders' pockets? Usmanov even offered 100 Million to fund transfers this summer and the board rejected that too. By the way he is a Manchester United fan. If the club wants anyone from the outside, it would be Kroenke, not Usmanov.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 13, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

Maybe you should read my post again. Do you think Usmanov proposed the rights issue with nothing to gain himself?
Be it more shares or a seat in the boardroom, the club doesn't want him to have an active role.

He gained his shares from David Dein. Two years ago, Dein wanted a takeover from Kroenke. They threw Dein out and he sold his shares to Usmanov. Since then Dein has broken his ties with him, and the board had  a lockdown agreement in place preventing him from gaining a 30% stake, which he needs for a takeover. So stay there and think the shareholders have no problem taking his money. If someone buys shares from someone else, does that put money into the other shareholders' pockets? Usmanov even offered 100 Million to fund transfers this summer and the board rejected that too. By the way he is a Manchester United fan. If the club wants anyone from the outside, it would be Kroenke, not Usmanov.

Admitedly I don't know much about Arsenal's front office goings on but this contradicts what you just said "Kroenke has rapidly become Arsenal's largest shareholder, with 28.3%, even though David Dein was effectively marched out of the building in 2007 for having encouraged Kroenke to buy into the club. Now Kroenke is a director, favoured by the board, a close ally of Fiszman, while Usmanov, who has 25% of the club, is kept away from decision making.

Kroenke, though, has said almost nothing about why he is buying up so much of Arsenal, and what his intentions are. For all the money he has spent buying up shares, none of it has gone into the club itself. "

So which one is closer to accurate?

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: July 13, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »

Admitedly I don't know much about Arsenal's front office goings on but this contradicts what you just said "Kroenke has rapidly become Arsenal's largest shareholder, with 28.3%, even though David Dein was effectively marched out of the building in 2007 for having encouraged Kroenke to buy into the club. Now Kroenke is a director, favoured by the board, a close ally of Fiszman, while Usmanov, who has 25% of the club, is kept away from decision making.

Kroenke, though, has said almost nothing about why he is buying up so much of Arsenal, and what his intentions are. For all the money he has spent buying up shares, none of it has gone into the club itself. "

Dein brought Kroenke into the club, trying to encourage a takeover so we could compete financially.
The board didn't like it, and they forced Dein out, but then he sold his shares to Usmanov who started a company called Red and White Holdings which he used to acquire shares and appointed Dein as director or something like that.
It's my opinion that with Usmanov building up his shares, the board saw Kroenke as a better alternative, giving him a seat but preventing either of them from gaining 30% which would require a formal takeover bid.
So basically, Dein ditched Kroenke for Usmanov, the board invited Kroenke in instead, and Dein and Usmanov aren't associated anymore.

They're right that Kroenke hasn't publicly stated what his intentions are, but the feeling is that the board don't want a takeover and he's just a major shareholder/boardmember.
All the noises coming out of the club is that we are fine being self sufficient and they're not looking for someone to pump money into the club.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:48 PM »

Dein brought Kroenke into the club, trying to encourage a takeover so we could compete financially.
The board didn't like it, and they forced Dein out, but then he sold his shares to Usmanov who started a company called Red and White Holdings which he used to acquire shares and appointed Dein as director or something like that.
It's my opinion that with Usmanov building up his shares, the board saw Kroenke as a better alternative, giving him a seat but preventing either of them from gaining 30% which would require a formal takeover bid.
So basically, Dein ditched Kroenke for Usmanov, the board invited Kroenke in instead, and Dein and Usmanov aren't associated anymore.

They're right that Kroenke hasn't publicly stated what his intentions are, but the feeling is that the board don't want a takeover and he's just a major shareholder/boardmember.
All the noises coming out of the club is that we are fine being self sufficient and they're not looking for someone to pump money into the club.

So is the better of 2 evils then in a way?  Thanx fuh explaining.  Usmanov's proposal still wouldn't result in him reaching 30% unless he got first dibs and bought up all the shares, and still it would mean that they added enough to increase the total by nearly 5%.  I could understand the angle of the writer, but I also understand the boards motivation.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47:27 AM »
yup
see arsenal is looking at long term sustainablility not short term gains.

but i am confident we will get silverware this season, champs league semi finals, fa cup semi finals and 4th in prem, there are clubs that will sell thier souls to be in that position (city, spurs, villa, west ham et al)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: July 14, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
Adebayor Deal Could Be Worth £70m

Manchester City are reputedly determined to push through the transfer of Emmanuel Adebayor by offering the Arsenal striker a double-your-money deal at Eastlands.

Just over 48 hours after City announced they were no longer pursuing Samuel Eto'o, it is understood that talks between Arsenal and City over Adebayor opened on Monday afternoon. Neither club has yet to comment on the speculation but it's believed that City have offered £20m for the Togo striker.

Determined to hold out for £25m, Arsenal are mindful of AC Milan's interest in Adebayor and one complication in the proposed deal may be the player's reputed preference for moving to Italy. Whether that would remain the case in view of the wages apparently on offer in Manchester remains to be seen. According to The Daily Mail, 'The Togo forward is expected to open talks on a five-year deal worth £170,000 a week' and 'the deal could even be completed today'.

If those figures are correct then the total cost of the deal would be in excess of £70m - a staggering outlay given that the club have already spent over £100m in transfer fees alone this year after completing the purchase of Carlos Tevez on Monday.

The newspaper goes on to speculate that Arsene Wenger is willing to sell because 'has grown tired of what he perceives to be Adebayor's poor attitude'. It is more likely that Wenger is willing to cash in on Adebayor in order to fund further redevelopment of the Gunners' rearguard while pursuing Bordeaux's Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: July 17, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »
Good News !!

Rosicky named in squad for the pre-season game tomorrow.

Manuel Almunia
Vito Mannone
William Gallas
Johan Djourou
Mikael Silvestre
Thomas Vermaelen
Tomas Rosicky
Andrey Arshavin
Jack Wilshere
Thomas Cruise
Craig Eastmond
Luke Ayling
Conor Henderson
Francis Coquelin
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
Mark Randall
Emmanuel Frimpong
Gilles Sunu
Sanchez Watt
Jay Simpson
Nacer Barazite

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: July 17, 2009, 08:44:30 AM »
is about time little mozart get fit.  i really hope this season the man could recapture his previous form

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: July 17, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:36:46 PM by takenoprisoners »

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: July 18, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »
mercanary

looking forward to watching the preseason against barnet on arsenaltv online  :devil:

rosicky and arshavin playing, also vermaelen

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: July 18, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
Arsenal: Almunia; Djourou, Gallas, Vermaelen, Silvestre; Wilshere, Randall, Frimpong, Rosicky; Arshavin, Watt.

Goal! Barnet 0-1 Arsenal: Sanchez Watt's intelligent cross finds Andrey Arshavin four yards out and the Russian makes no mistake from close range, side-footing the ball into the roof of the net.

Goal! Barnet 1-1 Arenal: The home side strike back almost immediately. Danny Hart whips in a delightful free-kick and Ismail Yakubu glances a neat header inside Almunia's far post.

Half time: Barnet 1-1 Arsenal

Arsenal's second-half line-up: Mannone; Eastmond, Ayling, Vermaelen, Cruise; Sunu, Coquelin, Henderson, Barazite; Simpson, Emmanuel-Thomas

Goal! Barnet 1-2 Arsenal: For the third successive season, Nacer Barazite finds the net in this fixture. The Dutchman fashions himself a slight opening 12 yards from goal and curls a fine effort past the keeper

Goal! Barnet 2-2 Arsenal: He has been on the field for less than four minutes but Elliot Charles equalises for Barnet. The youngster takes advantage of a goalmouth scramble to slot home from five yards

Full time: Barnet 2-2 Arsenal

steupse
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:52:57 AM by GunnerStunner »

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: July 18, 2009, 09:22:40 AM »
Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor has arrived in Manchester to tie up the loose ends of his proposed move to Manchester City and complete his medical.

The 25-year-old striker will cost the club around £25m where he will join Carlos Tevez and Roque Santa Cruz in a new look City frontline.

The Togo international had stalled over a move to Eastlands, with reports claiming that he was unhappy with the reaction to the transfer in his homeland.

Reports in the Daily Mirror also claimed that he was waiting on a £2m pay-off from the Gunners as he did not hand in a transfer request, but it now seems as if he is set to seal his £150,000 a week deal.

Adebayor is expected to join Mark Hughes' side in the next few days as City look to continue to add to their squad with the, so far unsuccessful, captures of John Terry and Joleon Lescott.

The striker was omitted from Arsenal's squad for Saturday's pre-season friendly against Barnet although Tomas Rosicky was included in the starting line-up for his first appearance since January 2008 following his recovery from serious hamstring and knee injuries.

The Czech winger was joined by Thomas Vermaelen, who made his Gunners debut after agreeing a £10m move from Ajax.

1]; } ?>