March 28, 2024, 01:25:28 PM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 891727 times)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FOREVER
« Reply #2940 on: December 29, 2010, 06:02:47 PM »
Good ol, arsenal lol I understand the reason for his changes ...man have to stay fit through playing time etc at the end of the day only themselves to blame 2-1 up with a man sent off and you score an own goal lol.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: December 29, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »

I blame wenger
I don't care about their bogus penalty and our clear penalty
Play yuh effing strongest team! Especially at back our beat two CB are LK and JD add LK to SS and its f**king shameful!

Set piece deffending BS

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: December 30, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »
lol Arsenal too funny

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: December 31, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
hopefully its arsenal laughing tomorrow night and at the end of the season

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: January 01, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »
funny that same side that beat chelsea beat birmingham

i guess wengers gamble didnt pay off v wigan (no thanks to the reff)

but paid off against birmingham and hopefull this same side will play city on wednesday

glad to see a clean sheet have seen one in a while

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: January 01, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
funny that same side that beat chelsea beat birmingham

i guess wengers gamble didnt pay off v wigan (no thanks to the reff)

but paid off against birmingham and hopefull this same side will play city on wednesday

glad to see a clean sheet have seen one in a while

Ent!  Quick question. What is your take on VanP?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: January 01, 2011, 05:10:35 PM »
van persie is the most skilful frontman we have period.  the man could drop deep and build the play, he could go out wide and swing in a cross.  for now i like him up top.  let chamakh and bendtner cool it for the hour, they cant shine van persie boots.

van p could have and should have had 3 or 4 today

birmingham is a nasty side, lee bowyer get away with 2 or 3 stamps

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: January 01, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »
van persie is the most skilful frontman we have period.  the man could drop deep and build the play, he could go out wide and swing in a cross.  for now i like him up top.  let chamakh and bendtner cool it for the hour, they cant shine van persie boots.

van p could have and should have had 3 or 4 today

birmingham is a nasty side, lee bowyer get away with 2 or 3 stamps
I rate him just needs to get his form back and stay fit

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: January 01, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
On form this is our best team out there today minus Vermalean ... I told ya the players talented in the sense that men could step in and you won't see a huge difference ... on the plus side Van Persie is getting fit.... but, what really caught me today is the combination and movement of Fabregas and Nasri together what a nasty combo these two make.
I maintain if we had played this team vs manu different story .. now Arsene have to keep them fit and beating people.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #2949 on: January 01, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »
Ent!  Quick question. What is your take on VanP?

favorite arsenal player. left foot like a canon. wish he wasn't so injury prone.

how did djourou look today? i feel like the defence is better with him in it but he gets a raw deal from wenger.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: January 02, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »
Djourou was injured most of last year and even this year when he got his chance he could not prove he deserve the spot through extended play because he got injured again. I think he and Vermelene are the two to lead Arsenal.

Outside the fact he is always injured,  I do not like VanP as a #9. When he played as a 10 for Arsenal I always felt his qualities were better utilized. Just a note when he was with Feyernood & even Holland and played wide he was deadly, yet I can't remember Arsenal ever trying him in that position. Imagine him playing to the right like Robben
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #2951 on: January 02, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »
Djourou was injured most of last year and even this year when he got his chance he could not prove he deserve the spot through extended play because he got injured again. I think he and Vermelene are the two to lead Arsenal.

Outside the fact he is always injured,  I do not like VanP as a #9. When he played as a 10 for Arsenal I always felt his qualities were better utilized. Just a note when he was with Feyernood & even Holland and played wide he was deadly, yet I can't remember Arsenal ever trying him in that position. Imagine him playing to the right like Robben

despite the periods when he was injured, there were many games when squillaci and koscielny were making glaring mistakes and he would not get a run. he would play the odd carling cup game or come off the bench here and there when someone was injured or suspended. and the thing is he would do a decent job, but as soon as squillaci or koscielny were available again he was right back on the bench. now the situation seems more noticeable but djourou could have been getting a lot more of a run a lot earlier in the season. if anything, koscielny and squillaci were getting extended play and proving that they didn't deserve to be in the side.

and its not only this season. in seasons past wenger would play senderos ahead of djourou, and since then i thought djourou was getting the short end of the stick. cause senderos would make error after error and still get the nod of him. injuries aside, i feel like there's something about his game that wenger doesn't rate. and given wenger poor record of central defensive signings/selections over the years (cygan, stepanovs, luzny, senderos etc), i really question his ability to spot defensive talent and i wonder if djourou will be another matthew upson.

wrt to van persie. when he plays wide its not in the same mold as robben. he's not a runner like that. he's more similar to kuyt if anything. not in his personal style of course but in the sense that he plays a wide role that doesnt involve running at players and taking them on. his crossing is good. and when he plays on the right he can cut inside and shoot off the left. but you not likely to see him bombing down the line and ripping men.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:01:09 AM by dwn »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »
I guess my input to the discussion is as such ....with regards to Djourou did you guys know he initially came in as a defensive midfielder and was converted to a defender. Did you also know that he is supposedly the fastest on the team after Walcott with a toss up between him and Vela.
The main problem with him has been injuries last season he was injured for the entire season, a knee injury to booth and got injured again during preseason... needless to say his reliability as a first choice defender has been questioned due to his fragility. Arsene has tried to slowly build him up with games and tried to keep him injury free much like Gibbs (who in my opinion would have been starting if he was not injured so much). Fact over fiction there are doubts as to if he can last the entire season with his injury record.
In fairness to the other two they have been thrown head first into the fire ... no settling period , they never played in the EPL and only one of them had part of the pre season and their best defender has been injured out most of the season ... fellas if Arsene don't rotate these three we're screwed.

But a wise man once said the cream always comes to the top ... this squad talent wise is so close together that it is hard to really see sure starters but this team has surely but slowly selected itself and I will say that the team against chelsea  is possibly our strongest team with a few minor adjustments.
For one thing when Vermalean is back he starts... on current form he starts with Djourou ... who gives him good speed, heading ability  and relative calm ... my only beef with Djourou is that for a man his size he does NOT play aggressive enough he just gets the job done  .... attackers are not afraid of him ... psychologically that puts him at a disadvantage ... he needs to put the fear into them .... in a rigorous way!
Gibbs to me when fit is the better left back .. despite the injuries ... but naturally I understand why Clichy is still starting..... coincidentally I saw a replay of Messi vs Real ... sigh .. Clichy has to play the game of his life to contain that lil hobbitt!
Van Persie can't play as a winger anymore because I don't know if anyone has noticed but he has lost a step!
He is a smarter more mature player now who is getting back his touch his role really is to link and play in Walcott and Nasri those two lil speed demons and complement that with some ripping shots to goal ... which he still has.
Wilshire ... youth not bad but somehow I would prefer Rosicky instead the man does work hard and have vision and technique to burn..
Fabianski has done well I have to admit but I would prefer the other keeper but because they're so close together they will keep each other honest.
Of course have to throw in meh piece about Walcott he is a decent finisher and you can't train speed like that no team with the closest exception of Bale from Tottenham has speed like that youth.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:52:02 AM by Ngozi »

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #2953 on: January 02, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
Wilshire ... youth not bad but somehow I would prefer Rosicky instead the man does work hard and have vision and technique to burn..
Fabianski has done well I have to admit but I would prefer the other keeper but because they're so close together they will keep each other honest.

agree with this! would also like to see arsenal sign a DM, because denilson doesn't seem a good fit for the role. if song is injured we in trouble. my guess is that wenger won't sign one and wait on the return of frimpong.

but as you mentioned Vela, what is your opinion of him?

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: January 02, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »

agree with this! would also like to see arsenal sign a DM, because denilson doesn't seem a good fit for the role. if song is injured we in trouble. my guess is that wenger won't sign one and wait on the return of frimpong.

I actually rate Vela good speed and touch could finish too but ...... he is a confidence player (like most players I imagine) my thing with him is he tends to drift in and out of games alot and if the game isn't going Arsenal's way he won't be the one to turn it ... I guess he is not a difference maker so to speak.
To be fair to him he has not gotten enough games but I question whether he would be able to produce in big games... to me with him is all mental because he has more ability than his counterpart in man united yet chicha tends to make better use of his chances and Vela does not :(

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: January 02, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
I guess my input to the discussion is as such ....with regards to Djourou did you guys know he initially came in as a defensive midfielder and was converted to a defender. Did you also know that he is supposedly the fastest on the team after Walcott with a toss up between him and Vela.
The main problem with him has been injuries last season he was injured for the entire season, a knee injury to booth and got injured again during preseason... needless to say his reliability as a first choice defender has been questioned due to his fragility. Arsene has tried to slowly build him up with games and tried to keep him injury free much like Gibbs (who in my opinion would have been starting if he was not injured so much). Fact over fiction there are doubts as to if he can last the entire season with his injury record.
In fairness to the other two they have been thrown head first into the fire ... no settling period , they never played in the EPL and only one of them had part of the pre season and their best defender has been injured out most of the season ... fellas if Arsene don't rotate these three we're screwed.

But a wise man once said the cream always comes to the top ... this squad talent wise is so close together that it is hard to really see sure starters but this team has surely but slowly selected itself and I will say that the team against chelsea  is possibly our strongest team with a few minor adjustments.
For one thing when Vermalean is back he starts... on current form he starts with Djourou ... who gives him good speed, heading ability  and relative calm ... my only beef with Djourou is that for a man his size he does NOT play aggressive enough he just gets the job done  .... attackers are not afraid of him ... psychologically that puts him at a disadvantage ... he needs to put the fear into them .... in a rigorous way!
Gibbs to me when fit is the better left back .. despite the injuries ... but naturally I understand why Clichy is still starting..... coincidentally I saw a replay of Messi vs Real ... sigh .. Clichy has to play the game of his life to contain that lil hobbitt!
Van Persie can't play as a winger anymore because I don't know if anyone has noticed but he has lost a step!
He is a smarter more mature player now who is getting back his touch his role really is to link and play in Walcott and Nasri those two lil speed demons and complement that with some ripping shots to goal ... which he still has.
Wilshire ... youth not bad but somehow I would prefer Rosicky instead the man does work hard and have vision and technique to burn..Fabianski has done well I have to admit but I would prefer the other keeper but because they're so close together they will keep each other honest.
Of course have to throw in meh piece about Walcott he is a decent finisher and you can't train speed like that no team with the closest exception of Bale from Tottenham has speed like that youth.
My only significant disagreement with you. Rosicky has not been effective this season and he definitely doesn't work as hard as Wilshire defensively. The ideal player for that position is Diaby, if he can get over his injury problems. Denilson is a good replacement when we need a little more defense. Rosicky is past his 'sell by' date.
TnT Patriot

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: January 02, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »

I actually rate Vela good speed and touch could finish too but ...... he is a confidence player (like most players I imagine) my thing with him is he tends to drift in and out of games alot and if the game isn't going Arsenal's way he won't be the one to turn it ... I guess he is not a difference maker so to speak.
To be fair to him he has not gotten enough games but I question whether he would be able to produce in big games... to me with him is all mental because he has more ability than his counterpart in man united yet chicha tends to make better use of his chances and Vela does not :(
Agree here. Mexico had him selected ahead os Chicharito showing that even they rate Vela higher. His problem is mental. He is lacking confidence and bite.
TnT Patriot

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: January 02, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »

Agree here. Mexico had him selected ahead os Chicharito showing that even they rate Vela higher. His problem is mental. He is lacking confidence and bite.

Correction Sven rated him higher than Chicharito and it cost him. Chicharito is a better goal scorer than Vela hands down. His International record show it.  Once introduced to the Mexico team in 2010 WC he scored twice (two of their only three goals). He will be Mexico's main player in the future
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #2958 on: January 02, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
My only significant disagreement with you. Rosicky has not been effective this season and he definitely doesn't work as hard as Wilshire defensively. The ideal player for that position is Diaby, if he can get over his injury problems. Denilson is a good replacement when we need a little more defense. Rosicky is past his 'sell by' date.

I actually agree with the original comment that Rosicky might be a better option than Wilshere. I can't really comment on who's the better defender between between Rosicky and Wilshere, neither stands out to me as being particularly good in this department. Wilshere does seem a bit braver in his challenges though. That said, when in possession Rosicky is a much better player than Wilshere. He's better at keeping possession of the ball, he's more intelligent/experienced and is a better passer as well.

Agree with you on Diaby.

But I disagree with you on Denilson. I find that he offers very little defensively. He may hold his position but he's easily out-muscled by most EPL midfielders and often caught not tracking his man on opposition counter attacks.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: January 05, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
big game today

well the way manu rolling along every game is big just to keep pace

victory through harmony

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
Good game today by Arsenal, early on they were passing Man City to death and created some excellent chances. Once the game went on City became more difficult to break down and Arsenal dropped off to prevent the counter attack. Once again IMHO Wenger made two substitution gaffs. Arshavin for Walcott (Arshavin brought Arsenal down to 10 men) and Bendtner for Wilshire and placing Bendtner wide. Neither sub had any impact what so ever and I would argue did less than the players that were substituted. Man City would be criticised in England and praised in Italy. The English press will see it as cowardly display, where as in Italy the press will see it as a an excellent tactical display.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: January 05, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »
Good game today by Arsenal, early on they were passing Man City to death and created some excellent chances. Once the game went on City became more difficult to break down and Arsenal dropped off to prevent the counter attack. Once again IMHO Wenger made two substitution gaffs. Arshavin for Walcott (Arshavin brought Arsenal down to 10 men) and Bendtner for Wilshire and placing Bendtner wide. Neither sub had any impact what so ever and I would argue did less than the players that were substituted. Man City would be criticised in England and praised in Italy. The English press will see it as cowardly display, where as in Italy the press will see it as a an excellent tactical display.
How would you describe it? With the best players that money can buy against a sh1t side, I expected more from City... Cowardly is more appropriate to me
Live large and prosper!

giggsy11

« Reply #2962 on: January 05, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
How would you describe it? With the best players that money can buy against a sh1t side, I expected more from City... Cowardly is more appropriate to me

City loadin up on strikers but  still lacking creative midfielders and wing men. Silva and Johnson is where is starts and stops. That makes no sense!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: January 05, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »

Very disappointed in City's approach. They played like a bottom of the table team who felt that defending in numbers was their only hope. I honestly believe Mancini felt his team could not beat Arsenal, so a point was good enough for him.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
Very disappointed in City's approach. They played like a bottom of the table team who felt that defending in numbers was their only hope. I honestly believe Mancini felt his team could not beat Arsenal, so a point was good enough for him.

That's what makes Barca so special.

Granted, even the lowest teams in La Liga TRY to play football so it's a different mindset there, but still....Barca often encounter these sort of tactics from teams....frequently so called top teams in CL....and STILL buss dey ass.

Not easy to do as Arsenal showed today.  A perfect example of BITCH FOOTBALL from Manchester City today.  They get the point they set out for but DAMN!

Is one ting if yuh is lowly T&T playin in yuh fuss ever world cup and everybody expeckin yuh to colleck at least 6 every time yuh play.  But dis is Manchester City.  A team that has spent the most money in the EPL....with quality players....and playin scared, anti football?

DISGRACE.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: January 06, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
Not really happy with the draw but it is what it is ... a few positives from my "sh1t side"  ...

Van Persie finally starting to ketch himself ... starting to shoot more which in my opinion is really what I look for from him.

The defense is becoming more solid not only by the best selecting the best defensive pairing  available but by the fact that this is the first time that arsenal has played their somewhat strongest team for two consecutive games... Arsene has been chopping and changing looking for the right mix ... he may have found it.

We don't have that vulnerable look we had earlier in the season I feel that if we can't beat ya we could draw it without the dread feeling of a team coming from two goals down to beat us!

The substitutions he made Bendtner is hungry and I remembered last season he made a big impact these are games for him to prove that he deserves to be there .. I imagine that was the thought process.. stick in a goal in a big game ... he had a big impact against Barca last year.

Arshavin inconsistency this year is only equal to his unpredictability ..... when he produces he kills you.. plain talk. Arsene gambled on him to run at a tired wing back and exert the influence that Nasri was not doing that game being similar type players ... Arshavin has played himself out the first team tho and I maintain that I still think he is not fit or at least not motivated  for some reason.

Personally man united will be beaten I know this ... and for some reason I think they've peaked a bit premature I know but something about them lacks bite but credit where due they have a healthy lead right now but I don't expect them to hold it.

Man City .... hated them last year hate them now .. yuh cyah buy a team by name , all the fights, chemistry issues, big money recruits still playing like a bunch of pussies   ..... they hate their coach and won't play for him. Mancini cyah coach this team because he afraid to call it as it is and do what needs to be done ... difference between coaches like Fergie, Mourinho and such.

Still dunno what we will do against Barca but it ain't gonna be no repeat of last year .... now if we could only kidnap the lil hobbitt for two days we should be in it!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: January 06, 2011, 08:26:59 AM »
Thomas Vermaelen back in training for Arsenal and on course for January return
Wenger hoping to pair Belgium centre-half with Djourou
6 Jan 2011 12:06:00

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Thomas Vermaelen emerged unscathed from his first day back in training and Arsenal are increasingly hopeful he can return at the end of January, Goal.com UK can reveal.

The 25-year-old defender has been out since August with an Achilles injury picked up on international duty and Arsene Wenger has aired the possibility of dipping in to the transfer market for a new centre-half if Vermaelen's comeback is delayed once again.

But Goal.com UK understands that Vermaelen came through well in his first full training session on Wednesday and the medical staff are confident that he can finally return to the first team later this month.

The Belgium international made a huge impact during his first season at Emirates Stadium and has been sorely missed during a campaign in which Arsenal have frequently looked frail at the back.

Summer signings Laurent Koscielny and Sebastien Squillaci have both struggled for consistency, to the point that it is understood that Wenger's first choice if he has a full hand of centre-halves is now to pair Vermaelen with Djourou, who the manager believes has "improved greatly" this season after a few years in the wilderness.
Speaking to the Arsenal programme on Tuesday ahead of Wednesday's goal-less Premier League draw against Manchester City, Wenger did not reveal any specifics about Vermaelen's return but admitted it was close.

"Thomas Vermaelen has a big test this week when he starts to run again," said the Arsenal manager. "The first signs of how he feels will be very important. Should he not be able to come back quickly, central defence is an area in which we would be short, but rather than talk about transfers I would like to focus on the squad we have, and ensure everyone makes his contribution to the team's success."

Our  provides the best breaking news online and our  football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!

www.goal.com

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #2967 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: January 06, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
Ngozi, Stunner and Touches here is a question.
Should Wenger have simly taken Wilshire off, put on Chamak (or Bendtner), to deal with Kolo and kompany in the air, from Walcott and Nasri crosses, move VanP to the 10 position, pull Fabragas deeper in midfield.
Song had an excellent game yesterday and ManCity were so deep they really did not have to worry about getting caught.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:36 PM »
Ngozi, Stunner and Touches here is a question.
Should Wenger have simly taken Wilshire off, put on Chamak (or Bendtner), to deal with Kolo and kompany in the air, from Walcott and Nasri crosses, move VanP to the 10 position, pull Fabragas deeper in midfield.
Song had an excellent game yesterday and ManCity were so deep they really did not have to worry about getting caught.

Observer boy that is a tough one and I'll tell you why for one thing pulling Fabregas deeper limits his effectiveness because to pick a defense like that apart you have to be closer to the box so I wouldn't support pulling your most creative player further back.
I would have taken off Wilshire off, pulled Nasri back to midfield pushed Van P onto the left side and pushed Chamakk center.
I felt Nasri was kinda crowded out if he was pulled back in midfield he would have had more space to work with to begin with to move at them and create the one twos with VanP.

1]; } ?>