March 28, 2024, 02:38:04 PM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 891748 times)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #3990 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »
aye Joey Barton available on a free, get him before Man U does
that could potentially be a good acquisition cause Arsenal still spineless

Yeah you could keep that!!

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: August 01, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
well i think song and frimpong n jack have plenty spine each!

however the mix n match back 4 not getting a chance to gel!

squillachi needs to eff orf

mid needs to get between goal n ball

and the whole team hadda stop ball watching!

them lapses of concentration killing us!

even the own goal coulda been cleared off the line! before that cheesy shoulda do better on the touch line, it was an easy chip! before that the man thierry pass the ball to had an un checked run from behind thierry! ball watching!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: August 01, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »
Arsenal Transfer News: Juan Mata Deal Collapses
 August 1st, 2011  Ted_Ashton

Arsenal Fail To Pay Release Fee
Arsenal’s attempts to sign Valencia winger Juan Mata are on the rocks after the Gunners failed to pay the amount in his release clause before it expired at midnight last night.

Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague announced on his Twitter feed this afternoon that the clubs had agreed the fee in Mata’s contract – said to be somewhere in the region of £20 million – but that the money did not arrive in Valencia’s bank account as they had demanded.

According to Balague, Arsenal didn’t want to pay without receiving money from the sale of Cesc Fabregas, a sale that has yet to be agreed. As a result a new release clause has kicked into Mata’s contract and if Arsenal want him now they will have to pay 60 million euro (£53 million).

Mata had already rejected overtures from both Spurs and Barcelona as he wanted to move to Arsenal.

The Spanish side have been in Lisbon for a friendly with Portugese side Sporting this weekend but reports from Portugal suggested that he cut a lonely figure during the trip, glued to his mobile much of the time. It is now clear that he aware of the problem and could end up staying at Valencia because of the size of the new release clause. Whether he does depends on whether Valencia choose to ignore the new clause and stick to the deal they had with Arsenal.

Alternatively, they could choose to keep the Spain international at the Mestalla.

Balague suggests that only a bid in excess of 30 million euro will now bring Mata to the Emirates and that there is now a likelihood he will sign a new deal with Valencia.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: August 01, 2011, 11:59:38 AM »
these fackin tight wad board members!

i wonder if TTFF board members are related to the AFC board members?  :devil:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3994 on: August 01, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »
Pennywise and pound foolish.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: August 01, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
Who say Arsenal was looking to sign Mata? Wenger already said "I like him but that doesn't mean I will sign him."

Honestly the only way I think they will go for Mata is if Fabregas goes, which not looking likely.
Victoria concordia crescit

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: August 01, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
I think it is a combination of a and b. Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said last week Barca made a bid they consider insulting earlier in the summer but that was the last Arsenal hear from them. He and Wenger have both said they don't want to sell him but if Barca make a big enough bid they will consider it. Very different from last season when the club issued a press release saying they rejected Barca's bid and told them they were not willing to negotiate at any price. So I guess they will sell him but only if their price is met, which Barca isn't close to yet.

Question for Arseanl fans- Is Fabregas still an Arsenal player because?

a-Barca has not met Arsenal's asking price?
b-Arsenal do not want to sell him?
c-Barca has not officially made a bid?
d-Other

I ask because I don't understand why this continues to be a running saga for another off season.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: August 01, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
Yeah it was definitely a good ball ..... but still feel the kid got his positioning wrong .... just like djourou  yesterday and schillaci again (gawd he's such shit) my gawd we need just one more consistent defender... we've no sound defensive depth outside our main stoppers... truly depressing!

Djourou I am willing to say is just out of form. Last season before he got injured he was excellent. He has spoken before about how he finds it hard to come back after an injury. You will get no argument from me about Squillaci. The man is toots.

Bartley was playing his first team debut and to be fair, Vermaelen scored an own goal in the same situation vs Chelsea on 09/10 season (when they drop 3 on us and he was defending a Cashley Cole cross with Drogba behind him). That is an almost impossible position to be put in. I sorry for the boy because I was hoping he would get a run out this season. On loan to Rangers last term he play some decent ball, and started against PSV, who isn't a joke team even if they not what they used to be, in the Europa League so he can't be all bad (there are clips of that performance on Youtube if you like).

My thing about the centre backs is we need 3 attributes. 1) Aerial ability, since Arsenal's weakness last season was defending high balls into the box, other than that they conceded the least goals from open play of any team in the league. 2) The mentality to just blast the ball into "Row Z" because all those jokey half clearances killing us. 3) Not necessarily a starting defender but someone to push Squillaci down the depth chart, because TV and LK have the ability, as does Djourou when he in form.

giggsy11

« Reply #3998 on: August 01, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »
I think it is a combination of a and b. Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said last week Barca made a bid they consider insulting earlier in the summer but that was the last Arsenal hear from them. He and Wenger have both said they don't want to sell him but if Barca make a big enough bid they will consider it. Very different from last season when the club issued a press release saying they rejected Barca's bid and told them they were not willing to negotiate at any price. So I guess they will sell him but only if their price is met, which Barca isn't close to yet.

Question for Arseanl fans- Is Fabregas still an Arsenal player because?

a-Barca has not met Arsenal's asking price?
b-Arsenal do not want to sell him?
c-Barca has not officially made a bid?
d-Other

I ask because I don't understand why this continues to be a running saga for another off season.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: August 01, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
well i think song and frimpong n jack have plenty spine each!

however the mix n match back 4 not getting a chance to gel!

squillachi needs to eff orf

mid needs to get between goal n ball

and the whole team hadda stop ball watching!

them lapses of concentration killing us!

even the own goal coulda been cleared off the line! before that cheesy shoulda do better on the touch line, it was an easy chip! before that the man thierry pass the ball to had an un checked run from behind thierry! ball watching!
Stunner the eternal pessimist.....Stop looking for dark clouds ;D ;D  I'm backing the Gunners to turn things around come what may!! That why the games are played.... Arsenal forward!!!
Live large and prosper!

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »

Yuh mean.....Pound wise and silver foolish!
TnT Patriot

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4001 on: August 01, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
My thing about the centre backs is we need 3 attributes. 1) Aerial ability, since Arsenal's weakness last season was defending high balls into the box, other than that they conceded the least goals from open play of any team in the league. 2) The mentality to just blast the ball into "Row Z" because all those jokey half clearances killing us. 3) Not necessarily a starting defender but someone to push Squillaci down the depth chart, because TV and LK have the ability, as does Djourou when he in form.

This is what killing Djourou in my opinion. Tries to be too neat in the back when he can just clear. He often talks about liking playing midfield and maybe you see it in the way he plays the ball out of the back.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: August 02, 2011, 06:49:26 AM »

Yuh mean.....Pound wise and silver foolish!

Haha!!!!
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: August 02, 2011, 07:02:27 AM »
“Nasri Has Told Wenger He Will Stay At Arsenal”
By Football Talk  Published: 1st August 2011

Samir Nasri has told Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger he will stay at the club for at least next season, according to Guillm Balague.

Nasri has been subject to intense speculation about his future this summer after he refused to sign a contract extension. Man City and Man Utd were both interested in the midfielder with a fee of £20m mooted. However, Arsene Wenger ruled out selling to a rival club and maintained Nasri would be forced to see out the remaining year on his contract despite the risk of losing a prized asset for nothing in a years time.

Reports resurfaced last week suggesting Nasri could still make a move this summer with some of Arsenal’s hierarchy looking to over-rule Wenger and accept City’s £20m offer. However, according to Balague, Nasri has now told Wenger he is happy to remain in North London for the coming season, and the Spanish journalist even suggested Nasri could be persuaded to sign a new contract if the Gunners have a good start to the season and a strong run in the Champions League.

giggsy11

« Reply #4004 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »

This is what killing Djourou in my opinion. Tries to be too neat in the back when he can just clear. He often talks about liking playing midfield and maybe you see it in the way he plays the ball out of the back.

Don't you think that is how they practise it on the Arsenal training ground? Play 'cultured' football instead what Arsene9 would consider 'loutish' kicking the ball away! I think the problem with some footballers today not just some Arsenal players is they don't take in consideration 'time, place and score'; which has led to poor decision making on the field.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4005 on: August 02, 2011, 08:30:37 AM »

Samir Nasri has told Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger he will stay at the club for at least next season, according to Guillm Balague.

Nasri has been subject to intense speculation about his future this summer after he refused to sign a contract extension. Man City and Man Utd were both interested in the midfielder with a fee of £20m mooted. However, Arsene Wenger ruled out selling to a rival club and maintained Nasri would be forced to see out the remaining year on his contract despite the risk of losing a prized asset for nothing in a years time.

Reports resurfaced last week suggesting Nasri could still make a move this summer with some of Arsenal’s hierarchy looking to over-rule Wenger and accept City’s £20m offer. However, according to Balague, Nasri has now told Wenger he is happy to remain in North London for the coming season, and the Spanish journalist even suggested Nasri could be persuaded to sign a new contract if the Gunners have a good start to the season and a strong run in the Champions League.

Stay for a season and move to United for free next year. Get a nice signing bonus and like yourself.

I much rather see that happen than seeing United spending 30M plus 200,000 + a week salary on Sneijder. Much rather give a younger, faster Nasri 125,000 – 150,000 a week with no transfer fee.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: August 02, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »

Stay for a season and move to United for free next year. Get a nice signing bonus and like yourself.

I much rather see that happen than seeing United spending 30M plus 200,000 + a week salary on Sneijder. Much rather give a younger, faster Nasri 125,000 – 150,000 a week with no transfer fee.

Honestly, if Nasri goes to United, I think they are going to be very disappointed in his creative abilities from midfield. Especially as a replacement for Scholes as suggested.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 02, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
Some Arsenal Statistics:

Points won from losing positions: 2010-11 10, 2009-10 13, 2008-09 16, 2007-08 21, 2006-07 22, 2005-06 9, 2004-05 11, 2003-04 21

Points dropped from winning positions: 2010-11 13, 2009-10 15, 2008-09 14, 2007-08 14, 2006-07 6, 2005-06 5, 2004-05 15, 2003-04 10

Man Utd dropped 14 points from winning positions last season, which is one more than Arsenal did.

Anybody else think this indicates the problem isn't with the defence, but with the attack (which has been a suspicion of mine, although the defence could use some beefing up)?

giggsy11

« Reply #4008 on: August 02, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »
Some Arsenal Statistics:

Points won from losing positions: 2010-11 10, 2009-10 13, 2008-09 16, 2007-08 21, 2006-07 22, 2005-06 9, 2004-05 11, 2003-04 21

Points dropped from winning positions: 2010-11 13, 2009-10 15, 2008-09 14, 2007-08 14, 2006-07 6, 2005-06 5, 2004-05 15, 2003-04 10

Man Utd dropped 14 points from winning positions last season, which is one more than Arsenal did.

Anybody else think this indicates the problem isn't with the defence, but with the attack (which has been a suspicion of mine, although the defence could use some beefing up)?

The difference is Arsenal's dropped points led to loss of games not draws. United had a lot of draws last year and less losses than Arsenal. United also won when they needed to whereas Arsenal were unable to hold leads to gain the points they needed, to win matches.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: August 02, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »

It's not an attack/defense thing, but I will agree that the attack has a lot to do with it. Oftentimes last season, I have commented during games that Arsenal needs to stop playing with their food. They are usually in complete control of a game on the field, but not on the scoreboard, and (much like this weekend with NY) they piss away chances until the opposition scores (usually a lucky goal or a set piece). I think this is why Wenger looks at attacking players more. He knows it's not enough to dominate, everybody can get scored on, but you need to be able to make your dominance count. I don't count preseason games much, after all, Van Persie spent most of his time trying to nutmeg a defender. Not exactly a focused effort.

One of the things this team does, that the invincibles era did not, is slow down their game. When Arsenal went down a goal in the Highbury days, they didn't change the attacking philosophy, it didn't become more direct, they just did it faster and faster so that the opponent was run ragged and then the killer blow was applied. This team likes to get into a lead and then coast. It's the coasting that's killing them, not the offence or defense.

Just my 2 cents.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: August 02, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »

It's not an attack/defense thing, but I will agree that the attack has a lot to do with it. Oftentimes last season, I have commented during games that Arsenal needs to stop playing with their food. They are usually in complete control of a game on the field, but not on the scoreboard, and (much like this weekend with NY) they piss away chances until the opposition scores (usually a lucky goal or a set piece). I think this is why Wenger looks at attacking players more. He knows it's not enough to dominate, everybody can get scored on, but you need to be able to make your dominance count. I don't count preseason games much, after all, Van Persie spent most of his time trying to nutmeg a defender. Not exactly a focused effort.

One of the things this team does, that the invincibles era did not, is slow down their game. When Arsenal went down a goal in the Highbury days, they didn't change the attacking philosophy, it didn't become more direct, they just did it faster and faster so that the opponent was run ragged and then the killer blow was applied. This team likes to get into a lead and then coast. It's the coasting that's killing them, not the offence or defense.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that's it, they missing that killer instinct, to finish a game. If you notice, MAN U never stops playing until the final whistle blow!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »
Some Arsenal Statistics:

The difference is Arsenal's dropped points led to loss of games not draws. United had a lot of draws last year and less losses than Arsenal. United also won when they needed to whereas Arsenal were unable to hold leads to gain the points they needed, to win matches.

Don't think so. I think United were more able to come from a losing position to winning than Arsenal were. The points total and the fact that United won the league on points mean the loss vs draw factor doesn't really come into it. United were more able to turn 0 points into 1 or 3 than Arsenal were. They were able to score goals when needed while Arsenal's lack of attacking variation meant they couldn't really scrape goals. Just my view.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: August 02, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

Just my 2 cents.
That's a valid point but it applies to the situation where they drop points from a winning position (I think dropping points sticks in the mind more), not where they concede first and then can't grind out a win, which is what I was referring to (Carling Cup final, 1-0 defeat to Newcastle, Loss to Stoke, Loss to Villa, defeats by Braga and Shakhtar in the Champions league group stage). The team was clearly coasting in the Red Bulls game after van Persie and Gervinho came off so I agree with you there though. But when they can't come from behind, that's definitely an attacking failure. And United did that very very effectively last season (Check when Rooney cuss up the camera). Like somebody once said, United doesn't lose games, they just run out of time.

But yeah, RvP was real making style in that game. All flicks and tricks and showboating. Wasn't nice to see from the team captain.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:35:01 PM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4013 on: August 02, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »

Don't you think that is how they practise it on the Arsenal training ground? Play 'cultured' football instead what Arsene9 would consider 'loutish' kicking the ball away! I think the problem with some footballers today not just some Arsenal players is they don't take in consideration 'time, place and score'; which has led to poor decision making on the field.

Djourou need to be more loutish then. A lot of the mistakes he makes are due to trying to be too composed under pressure. He needs to watch some videos of Vidic.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: August 02, 2011, 07:30:43 PM »

Just my 2 cents.
Very well said. The truth is if we put away half the chances we have and stop coasting we would be much better. They were clinical in 2 games for me last season and they had alternate results because of their mentality.

Newcastle they were clinical and got to 4-0 then their arrogance made them stop playing and they were punished for it. Chelsea they were up 3-0 but because they respected that Chelsea could still come back they kept vigilant to the end.

The big problem with this team is they need to be more "efficient" offensively and more mentally stable.
TnT Patriot

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4015 on: August 02, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »

Just my 2 cents.
Very well said. The truth is if we put away half the chances we have and stop coasting we would be much better. They were clinical in 2 games for me last season and they had alternate results because of their mentality.

Newcastle they were clinical and got to 4-0 then their arrogance made them stop playing and they were punished for it. Chelsea they were up 3-0 but because they respected that Chelsea could still come back they kept vigilant to the end.

The big problem with this team is they need to be more "efficient" offensively and more mentally stable.

Fabregas makes the team a lot more efficient. They missed him last season. I also think Arshavin in the position behind the striker could make the team a bit more efficient. These guys know when to be direct and are a bit more decisive in their passing/attacking play. Just my opinion.

giggsy11

« Reply #4016 on: August 02, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »

Djourou need to be more loutish then. A lot of the mistakes he makes are due to trying to be too composed under pressure. He needs to watch some videos of Vidic.

Funny that you use Vidic as an example, because sometimes I feel he boots the ball out of play when he had a play to pass it. But I guess he does that because he understands his limitations  which supports your point about Djourou.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: August 03, 2011, 06:36:08 AM »

Funny that you use Vidic as an example, because sometimes I feel he boots the ball out of play when he had a play to pass it. But I guess he does that because he understands his limitations  which supports your point about Djourou.
Safety first.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4018 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »

Clearing the ball too often vs dallying on the ball too often. As a defender you're probably better off doing the former.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: August 03, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »
So it looks like Emmanuel Eboué is gone (one of the few hard men we have)  ???

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

1]; } ?>