March 28, 2024, 10:34:25 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 891685 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #4080 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:23 AM »
Allyuh men jokey yes..

I don't know why allyuh ragging on Fabregas, Nasri and Clichy for wanting to buss it. Any great player with some level of ambition wants to play and compete with the best players and wants the opportunity to win titles. When year after year, yuh surrounded by pull stones men who popping down around you at the business end of the season and the coach big answer is Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gervinho, why should they not want to leave?

Direct allyuh venom at the cheap ass board and manager who refuse to match the ambitions of their best players despite being one of the most profitably run franchises in the EPL.

Imagine Arsenal open to selling Nasri to a title contender, Man City. That is absolute madness for any amount of money. If he wants to go, they should let him leave but not to a direct competitor, let him go abroad.

When allyuh will wake up and realize that Arsenal is not interested in winning trophies but moreso in turning a profit?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:12:47 AM by dinho »

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: August 09, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »
dinho, Arsenal board must be slash yuh tyres de way you always goin on about them.

Nasri and Clichy is great players all of a sudden. Good yes but great?!? Nasri didn't even have a full good season. The man have talent. But both he and Clichy talk about their silverware ambitions and their football stay quiet. If Clichy go City to do that nonsense he play for United third goal on Sunday he not going to smell silverware.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has been a youth target for Arsenal for at least a year. The need to strengthen the squad doesn't mean to stop signing promising young players. People quarrel because we sign youth like they know Arsenal done wit transfer business. Gervinho, time will tell but I think he has performed well in the past and can make the step up.

In terms of this not selling to title rivals, that is a very recent policy. Look at men transfer between rivals in the early and mid 2000s. Not just in England either. A nonsense argument engendered solely by City's reluctance to do it in recent seasons.

Allyuh men jokey yes..

I don't know why allyuh ragging on Fabregas, Nasri and Clichy for wanting to buss it. Any great player with some level of ambition wants to play and compete with the best players and wants the opportunity to win titles. When year after year, yuh surrounded by pull stones men who popping down around you at the business end of the season and the coach big answer is Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gervinho, why should they not want to leave?

Direct allyuh venom at the cheap ass board and manager who refuse to match the ambitions of their best players despite being one of the most profitably run franchises in the EPL.

Imagine Arsenal open to selling Nasri to a title contender, Man City. That is absolute madness for any amount of money. If he wants to go, they should let him leave but not to a direct competitor, let him go abroad.

When allyuh will wake up and realize that Arsenal is not interested in winning trophies but moreso in turning a profit?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Victoria concordia crescit

giggsy11

« Reply #4082 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »
Allyuh men jokey yes..

You don;t think Clichy and Nasri were part of the group of men yuh referred to who were 'pooping down at the business end of the season'? I agree that Arsenal's lack of apparent ambition is a problem. I think Arsene9's problem is  he over estimates some of the talents of these players and does not put enough emphasis on strong character on the field.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:37:56 AM by Giggsy11 »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »

They does drop off the money over there

Looking at the 3 of dem, I ask did they did enough to help Arsenal win when they had the opportunities to be the difference? Now they looking tuh jump ship like some rats! Cesc I could give a bly due to his love for Barca the other two I don't think played like winners.

tell dem Giggsy ! tell dem! Dam rude especially since Clichy buckle in so many big games over the years and Nasri only now coming into his own.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: August 09, 2011, 10:45:05 AM »
Allyuh men jokey yes..

You don;t think Clichy and Nasri were part of the group of men yuh referred to who were 'pooping down at the business end of the season'? I agree that Arsenal's lack of apparent ambition is a problem. I think Arsene9's problem is  he over estimates some of the talents of these players and does not put enough emphasis on strong character on the field.

that is why on so many msg boards posters clamoring for more englishmen on the side ( men like big tony adams, keown et al).  clichy bless his heart give a lot of effort for arsenal, BUT sometimes he had some brain farts that cost us dear.   fabregas is the only one of that trio in the pic who could say he give his all for arsenal.  nasri only seeking a bigger payday, doh study he...them men will go friggin yeovil town if they getting tall dollars.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: August 09, 2011, 10:49:50 AM »
I doh believe none of this nonsense with Englishmen and strong character. What England win since 1966 with all dey character? Nutten! I tired hearing that rubbish. People who clamoring for English character just stupid ignorant and racist. Who on Arsenal team last season had more character than the Dutchman Robin van Persie? Steuuuups! Done dat talk nah!

Allyuh men jokey yes..

that is why on so many msg boards posters clamoring for more englishmen on the side ( men like big tony adams, keown et al).  clichy bless his heart give a lot of effort for arsenal, BUT sometimes he had some brain farts that cost us dear.   fabregas is the only one of that trio in the pic who could say he give his all for arsenal.  nasri only seeking a bigger payday, doh study he...them men will go friggin yeovil town if they getting tall dollars.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:58:31 AM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: August 09, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
Sorry if I offend anyone. That stupidness does just get me vex to hear.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »
Dansteel, i might be a Chelsea fan but I have a soft spot for Arsenal because I respect how they try to play the game. But for a side that supposed to be challenging for trophies I think what the board is doing is a disgrace.

Allyuh need to read back an interview with Fabregas from a few months back about the invincibles team when he was coming into the side.

Basically what he said is that the great thing about that team is that the onus wasn't on any one player to be a leader and take responsibility in all the matches. The team was full of leaders who could all step up and pick up the slack when another player was off his game or out injured. Inspiration came from a number of places, Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Adam, Keown etc.

You look at the side now and is Fabregas, Van Persie and Nasri and nobody else, everything falls on their shoulders. They cannot sustain that for an entire season. If one is injured or if a team lock down any two then there is no one else who can step up to fill that void. Only a setta young promising players but no battle hardened warriors.

And who fault that is?

When young bucks Sczesney and Koscielney beps on theyself in the Carling Cup final who fault that was.. Fabregas fault or the manager fault for putting faith in inexperience? When allyuh side let Newcastle come back from 4 goals down and when allyuh throw way points season after season due to lack of experience and leadership at the end of the season, who fault that is the players??

Who fault it is that the squad players allyuh buy have to be cheap and have to be French or from the French league regardless of if they shitty like Silvestre, Squillaci and Koscielney?

Come nuh man allyuh wake up and smell the coffee. Last year, Wenger pull out of buying Schwarzer over a measley extra 1m pounds. That is frankoment cheapness, Schwarzer's experience and the impact on the defence was guaranteeing at least 8-10 extra points for the season. But no, he cant stretch a lil bit to spend an extra 1m pounds.

If i see Arsenal make a big signing or two before the transfer window done, I'll say ok they doing something.. If they don't, it would be unbelievable that they carrying their fans through the frustration for a next season especially when every other team around them is making significant moves to improve.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: August 09, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Allyuh men jokey yes..

Arsenal is not in the driving seat, Nasri is.  If Arsenal wants to hold up a transfer all Nasri have to do is say okay and sit tight for another season.  At the end Arsenal will have a malcontent on the squad who may or may not give his all and will miss out on a 25 million pound payday in the process.  Remember the issue isn't that Nasri wants out of Arsenal, it's more that he doesn't want to re-sign with them.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: August 09, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
Breaking News!!!!
Arsene Wenger has been spotted breaking into a Jewellery shop in Tottenham. Sources say he was after some silverware.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: August 09, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
Guys just a reminder that Arsenal hasn't won any silverware for 6 seasons. That is all.

Breaking News!!!!
Arsene Wenger has been spotted breaking into a Jewellery shop in Tottenham. Sources say he was after some silverware.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: August 09, 2011, 11:40:12 AM »
Allyuh men jokey yes..

Arsenal is not in the driving seat, Nasri is.  If Arsenal wants to hold up a transfer all Nasri have to do is say okay and sit tight for another season.  At the end Arsenal will have a malcontent on the squad who may or may not give his all and will miss out on a 25 million pound payday in the process.  Remember the issue isn't that Nasri wants out of Arsenal, it's more that he doesn't want to re-sign with them.

Huh! Yuh have me with this one. One and the same  ???
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
Breaking News!!!!

with the brand of football Arsenal playing these last few years it really is amazing that their neighbors have more silverware than them since 2008

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: August 09, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »
Huh! Yuh have me with this one. One and the same  ???

Tevez has a multiple years still on his contract (as does Fabregas), both have indicated that they'd rather play elsewhere and not honor the remaining years on their contracts.  Nasri has not indicated that he's unwilling to honor the remaining year on his contract, meaning he's not actively seeking to leave Arsenal right now.  All he's saying is that he's not signing an extension with the team, but will play out his current contract then leave.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: August 09, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
Right. Had a good lunch. A couple points dinho:

I believe it was Wenger who said in 2006 that with the move to the Emirates and the subsequent financial constraints, it would take 4-5 years for Arsenal to challenge seriously for silverware. Given that the team has still managed to make it into the latter stages of the CL on a consistent basis, I not happy with the no trophies but I will take that.

I think, given all Wenger has done for the club, he earned the right to challenge for the title with his young squad. I remember at the beginning of the 2009/10 season he said that the team as was could win silverware. That team was destroyed by injuries (in the 4-1 defeat to Barca there were 5 starters on the pitch). This year was much better with injuries but it was made clear that the team still had too many weaknesses to win trophies.

I also should point out that Arsenal under Wenger has almost never signed big stars. Henry was riding bench as a winger in Juventus and Vieira was playing for AC Milan reserves. The last "big stars" Arsenal signed were Bergkamp and Overmars (unless you count Arshavin which is a matter of debate).

Given that Wenger was given a fully deserved chance to win titles with a team he built from youth, a team that while not having won silverware has done some great things, it is now up to him to strengthen the team to the point at which they can challenge credibly.

I don't understand the problem you have with him getting French league players. It has worked before, France has been FAR more successful in football than England in the last 15 years and many of the best players in the Premier League including your side's own Drogba, Anelka and Malouda came from that league. There is nothing wrong with him hiring players from the French league. Where you think Vieira, Pires and Henry got their start?

As to their being cheap, I cyah contest that fact other than to say that Arsenal doesn't think they can afford 50 million pound signings and none of us is really in a position to question them so I don't bother trying.

You contend that not signing Schwarzer was cheapness. I fail to see how Schwarzer would benefit the team given that Fulham conceded the same number of goals as Arsenal and more from open play. In such a case, why spend the money? You think Schwarzer would guarantee 8-10 more points? I have to disagree.

Finally, you claim that "every other team around them is making significant moves to improve". City sign Aguero, a striker who is at best a replacement for Tevez, and Clichy, who is one of now 4 left backs of good but not great quality. United sign Phil Jones (a youth international, much like Arsenal signings), Ashley Young, a very good player, David de Gea (another promising player with some youth caps). Chelsea sign a youth international midfielder for Spain on loan and a backup goalie. Liverpool sign Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson, 3 decent players but not great. The best of that bunch is Downing and he ent no big star. Arsenal sign 2 promising youths like everyone else and the only Ligue 1 player to make double figures in both goals and assists. I doh see how you could say they any worse off in transfer business than the rest of rivals with 3 weeks left in the window. Yes they need a good aerial defender but until September 1 I can't condemn Wenger for not signing just as people can't condemn United or City or Chelsea for not signing a creative midfielder.

This anti Wenger/ anti Arsenal management slant in the media isseriously lacking in substance. It is mostly hype because Arsenal frustrate by not signing big names (a policy I admittedly wish they would break sometimes). I think if they don't do the necessary transfers this season then it is on Wenger and the board but up to now I can't fault them for the job they have done. If september 1 reach and we don't have a new centre back I will be the first to say Wenger "out", but until then I have to say I think you wrong.

Dansteel, i might be a Chelsea fan but I have a soft spot for Arsenal because I respect how they try to play the game. But for a side that supposed to be challenging for trophies I think what the board is doing is a disgrace.

Allyuh need to read back an interview with Fabregas from a few months back about the invincibles team when he was coming into the side.

Basically what he said is that the great thing about that team is that the onus wasn't on any one player to be a leader and take responsibility in all the matches. The team was full of leaders who could all step up and pick up the slack when another player was off his game or out injured. Inspiration came from a number of places, Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Adam, Keown etc.

You look at the side now and is Fabregas, Van Persie and Nasri and nobody else, everything falls on their shoulders. They cannot sustain that for an entire season. If one is injured or if a team lock down any two then there is no one else who can step up to fill that void. Only a setta young promising players but no battle hardened warriors.

And who fault that is?

When young bucks Sczesney and Koscielney beps on theyself in the Carling Cup final who fault that was.. Fabregas fault or the manager fault for putting faith in inexperience? When allyuh side let Newcastle come back from 4 goals down and when allyuh throw way points season after season due to lack of experience and leadership at the end of the season, who fault that is the players??

Who fault it is that the squad players allyuh buy have to be cheap and have to be French or from the French league regardless of if they shitty like Silvestre, Squillaci and Koscielney?

Come nuh man allyuh wake up and smell the coffee. Last year, Wenger pull out of buying Schwarzer over a measley extra 1m pounds. That is frankoment cheapness, Schwarzer's experience and the impact on the defence was guaranteeing at least 8-10 extra points for the season. But no, he cant stretch a lil bit to spend an extra 1m pounds.

If i see Arsenal make a big signing or two before the transfer window done, I'll say ok they doing something.. If they don't, it would be unbelievable that they carrying their fans through the frustration for a next season especially when every other team around them is making significant moves to improve.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:15:19 PM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
Ehy..I figure it out.

I have it...Wenger is a genius and a flicking BOSS!!...the man on a level alyuh cannot comprehend.

;D

The man sabotaging the competition from within, and getting paid for it too.

Every sale to a rival is for him to exploit when the time comes...really he wants Nasri to go Manu. We already sell 3 to Man City and Cesc to barca is for when we ketch them in the CL again.

All we need now is to sell bendtner and scillachi to Chelsea and the masterplan is complete  :rotfl:

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 09, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
I hear United give up on Sneijder and targetting Denilson now.

Ehy..I figure it out.

I have it...Wenger is a genius and a flicking BOSS!!...the man on a level alyuh cannot comprehend.

;D

The man sabotaging the competition from within, and getting paid for it too.

Every sale to a rival is for him to exploit when the time comes...really he wants Nasri to go Manu. We already sell 3 to Man City and Cesc to barca is for when we ketch them in the CL again.

All we need now is to sell bendtner and scillachi to Chelsea and the masterplan is complete  :rotfl:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 09, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
Miyaichi granted work permit to play for Club

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/miyaichi-granted-work-permit-to-play-for-club

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Ryo Miyaichi has been granted the work permit he requires to play first-team football for the Club this season.

The 18-year-old arrived in January and spent last season on loan at Dutch club Feyenoord in order to help his adjustment to European football, while awaiting the clearance needed to represent Arsenal in the UK.

An FA panel met on Tuesday at Wembley Stadium to decide the case and heard from Arsène Wenger, who was in attendance, before granting the work permit on the grounds that Ryo is an ‘exceptional talent’. Supporting testimonials were also sent by the Japan Football Association, which significantly helped the process.

Miyaichi has impressed greatly during pre-season and featured in all matches played outside the UK, but now he has been authorised a work permit which means that he is free to play for Arsenal in the UK.

Upon hearing the news, Arsène Wenger said: “We are absolutely delighted that Ryo has been granted a work permit. This is almost like a new signing for us, as we weren’t completely sure we would be given the authorisation. Ryo has worked extremely hard in pre-season and performed very well during the matches in Asia, Germany and Portugal.

Wenger continued: “Ryo has natural technical ability. He has good balance and phenomenal pace, and his passing and crossing is consistently of a high quality. He is a very exciting player. He had a successful time with Feyenoord in the Netherlands last season, who gave him the opportunity to play regularly, and we’re looking forward to his contribution this coming season with Arsenal.”

Miyaichi will be eligible to play for the first team as soon as the formalities of the paperwork are completed.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 09, 2011, 02:27:22 PM »
Arsenal announce squad for Play-Off Round

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-announce-squad-for-play-off-round

Arsenal Football Club has announced its squad for the Champions League Play-Off Round.

The Club has submitted an A list (List A) and a B list (List B) of players, all of whom will be eligible for the Play-Off Round tie with Udinese. 

List A for the Play-Off Round is final, although a single change to the squad can be made by Monday 15 August (the day before the first-leg game).

Should the Club progress to the Group Stage of the competition, an updated List A will be submitted by September 1, which will apply for the remainder of the competition.

Under UEFA rules, Arsenal is eligible to register 25 players to List A for the Play-Off Round and an unlimited number of players to List B.

A player qualifies for inclusion in List B if he was born on or after January 1, 1990 and has been eligible to play for the Club for an uninterrupted period of two years or more since his 15th birthday.

Arsenal's Champions League squad:
List A…
Manuel Almunia
Andrey Arshavin
Nicklas Bendtner
Marouane Chamakh
Abou Diaby
Johan Djourou
Emmanuel Eboue
Lukasz Fabianski
Cesc Fabregas
Gervinho
Kieran Gibbs
Carl Jenkinson
Laurent Koscielny
Vito Mannone
Samir Nasri
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Tomas Rosicky
Bacary Sagna
Alex Song
Sebastien Squillaci
Armand Traore
Robin van Persie
Carlos Vela
Thomas Vermaelen
Theo Walcott

List B...
Aaron Ramsey
Wojciech Szczesny
Jack Wilshere
Benik Afobe
Chuks Aneke
Zak Ansah
Daniel Boateng
George Brislen-Hall
Francis Coquelin
Craig Eastmond
Luke Freeman
Emmanuel Frimpong
Sead Hajrovic
Conor Henderson
Gavin Hoyte
Jernade Meade
Ignasi Miquel
Rhys Murphy
Nigel Neita
Oguzhan Ozyakup
Gilles Sunu
Sanchez Watt
Nico Yennaris

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 09, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
There's only one 4th place!
There's only one 4th place!
One 4th place!
There's only on 4th place!

Practicing next season chants...

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: August 09, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
As much as i'd like to believe in the man, Wenger doesn't make sense sometimes. He keeps saying that he will only sign players of super quality that can add something to Arsenal. How does this square with his signing of Silvestre, Squillaci and Sol? He has said that we need a CB since January and nada so far. Man needs a calpet to get moving!

Dansteel, the point about British 'Character' has less to do with international football than adaptability to the Premier League. Those are 2 different beasts. Man U won the PL last year on character. Maybe you haven't been watching but French football is like Trini football. They are at their lowest ebb currently. Remember SA 2010? 

Don't believe the hype about Csec and Nasri being in the CL squad. It also includes Bendtner, Almunia and Eboue who we know are all moving. Having said that, I think we will know more about our squad for this season when we see who lines up against Udinese next week.

I also do believe that the English media love to see Arsenal fail, but that is because of the perceived arrogance of Wenger who fails to see what everyone else sees. I agree that the team was not far last year but has he done enough so far? If we keep both or at least one of Csec and Nasri plus we add a top notch CB, we will contend.
TnT Patriot

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: August 09, 2011, 11:39:51 PM »
When it comes to points I doh care who lose as long as we able to take advantage but really city simply buying every player out there ...no strategy to it at all I cyah respect no team like that I mean really?
United is def the team to beat for no other reason than they are tough as hell mentally ... they don't ever give up!!!
Man city lose and what they gone to do buy another player again.... jeeezzzz

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: August 10, 2011, 07:08:51 AM »
Yeah I know he does take long. I just doh see any point in worrying about what he do until September 1. That is wasting time and unnecessary stress. The "super quality" quote is long long after he signed those 3 players.

I seriously doubt French football is like Trini football. France still produces better quality players than England which is what I was referring to about France being better. The Premier League is a better league but then they have more money and only just over a third of the players in the PL are English. Only 3 of the players in the team of the season were British. Oh and Man U didn't win the league on character. They won it because they had the best attack in England and a defence that allowed the least shots on target, backed up by the best goalkeeper in Europe last year. England's problem is that because they have many of the best clubs they think they have the best footballers, a fallacy that Germany brutally exposed in South Africa and better teams will continue to expose in the next few years. Everybody wants Arsenal to hire British players with "character". Players who, generally speaking, performed worse than Arsenal's did. Arsenal had the second best attack in the league and the 4th best defence. Samba ent going to improve on that, end of story. Maybe Jagielka or Cahill but I not so sure. The only thing I willing to concede is the 2 of them would be better than Squillaci, which may be enough.

I was just posting the CL story from the website. I know it only matters who steps on to the field. Just thought it was of interest. It certainly set ESPN crazy that they Cesc and Nanas were included.

I think they want to see Arsenal fail for many reasons, including that they think Wenger is arrogant. They don't like that he uses so many foreigners (which is changing, despite the fact that English footballers are less likely to be top quality), they don't like that he doesn't buy into the hype and splash money around for big sensational signings, they don't like that he places so much faith in youth and talent over battle hardened experience and "character" (which resonate with more people on a visceral level).

As much as i'd like to believe in the man, Wenger doesn't make sense sometimes. He keeps saying that he will only sign players of super quality that can add something to Arsenal. How does this square with his signing of Silvestre, Squillaci and Sol? He has said that we need a CB since January and nada so far. Man needs a calpet to get moving!

Dansteel, the point about British 'Character' has less to do with international football than adaptability to the Premier League. Those are 2 different beasts. Man U won the PL last year on character. Maybe you haven't been watching but French football is like Trini football. They are at their lowest ebb currently. Remember SA 2010? 

Don't believe the hype about Csec and Nasri being in the CL squad. It also includes Bendtner, Almunia and Eboue who we know are all moving. Having said that, I think we will know more about our squad for this season when we see who lines up against Udinese next week.

I also do believe that the English media love to see Arsenal fail, but that is because of the perceived arrogance of Wenger who fails to see what everyone else sees. I agree that the team was not far last year but has he done enough so far? If we keep both or at least one of Csec and Nasri plus we add a top notch CB, we will contend.

giggsy11

« Reply #4103 on: August 10, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »
Yeah I know he does take long. I just doh see any point in worrying about what he do until September 1. That is wasting time and unnecessary stress. The "super quality" quote is long long after he signed those 3 players.

I seriously doubt French football is like Trini football. France still produces better quality players than England which is what I was referring to about France being better. The Premier League is a better league but then they have more money and only just over a third of the players in the PL are English. Only 3 of the players in the team of the season were British. Oh and Man U didn't win the league on character. They won it because they had the best attack in England and a defence that allowed the least shots on target, backed up by the best goalkeeper in Europe last year. England's problem is that because they have many of the best clubs they think they have the best footballers, a fallacy that Germany brutally exposed in South Africa and better teams will continue to expose in the next few years. Everybody wants Arsenal to hire British players with "character". Players who, generally speaking, performed worse than Arsenal's did. Arsenal had the second best attack in the league and the 4th best defence. Samba ent going to improve on that, end of story. Maybe Jagielka or Cahill but I not so sure. The only thing I willing to concede is the 2 of them would be better than Squillaci, which may be enough.

I was just posting the CL story from the website. I know it only matters who steps on to the field. Just thought it was of interest. It certainly set ESPN crazy that they Cesc and Nanas were included.

I think they want to see Arsenal fail for many reasons, including that they think Wenger is arrogant. They don't like that he uses so many foreigners (which is changing, despite the fact that English footballers are less likely to be top quality), they don't like that he doesn't buy into the hype and splash money around for big sensational signings, they don't like that he places so much faith in youth and talent over battle hardened experience and "character" (which resonate with more people on a visceral level).

Seriously? I am interested in what your definition of 'strong character' is. For me having strong character means being able to perservere when facing adversity. Getting the job done when faced with challenges. Being mentally tough and not breaking when facing adversity.

I feel you getting tied up with English players being used as the example of 'strong character'. I don't think English players have cornered the market on 'strong character'; I think the United players know how not to beat themselves due to the mentality that in ingrained in them and they play to the time, place and score. Like them or hate them; they have the will to win at any cost and will not settle for not dealing with a challenge or losing focus of the goal, which is to win the game. Which is another characteristic off having strong character. I think Arsenal worries to much about playing pretty football versus winning matches ugly or otherwise.
Arsenal in previous years also had a simialr mentality but has not had that since they began transitioning from the older players. Chelsea developed it under Jose and still maintains it.

You used Van Persie as an example but you need more than one player to stand up and lead when things are not going well on the field- you can't shy away from the challenge.  A man's character is found out when faced with adversity. And Arsenal's character has been lacking in recent years.
Just my 2cents!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: August 10, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »
Seriously? I am interested in what your definition of 'strong character' is. For me having strong character means being able to perservere when facing adversity. Getting the job done when faced with challenges. Being mentally tough and not breaking when facing adversity.

I feel you getting tied up with English players being used as the example of 'strong character'. I don't think English players have cornered the market on 'strong character'; I think the United players know how not to beat themselves due to the mentality that in ingrained in them and they play to the time, place and score. Like them or hate them; they have the will to win at any cost and will not settle for not dealing with a challenge or losing focus of the goal, which is to win the game. Which is another characteristic off having strong character. I think Arsenal worries to much about playing pretty football versus winning matches ugly or otherwise.
Arsenal in previous years also had a simialr mentality but has not had that since they began transitioning from the older players. Chelsea developed it under Jose and still maintains it.

You used Van Persie as an example but you need more than one player to stand up and lead when things are not going well on the field- you can't shy away from the challenge.  A man's character is found out when faced with adversity. And Arsenal's character has been lacking in recent years.
Just my 2cents!

I'm not really one for this "character" debate. There really isn't any way to prove it. My take on Manchester United is that they have a very very good attack (and defence) and part of what makes them so good is their ability to vary their style to get a result in a way Arsenal hasn't. It's a reason I'm happier that Arsenal signed so many wingers than I would be if they signed a defender (which they admittedly also do need).

My point about Character and British players is that I keep reading that "Arsenal needs players with English toughness and character" or Premier League hardened centre backs. It's not about character in general as I'm not willing to debate that. I just get annoyed hearing about the English character (which is what I was referring to) because it is just jingoistic nonsense to me. Most of the best examples of Character in the Premier League aren't English anyway. I wasn't debating the character or lack thereof of a team. It just pushes my buttons to hear this English character garbage.

In reference to my second point why do the Centre backs have to be premier league hardened? I seriously doubt that a good Centre Back has to have PL experience. Vermaelen was in the team of the season in his first year at Arsenal. I am sure Thiago Silva, Hummels or Lucio could walk on to any Premier League team and stick Rooney or Drogba in their back pocket for the whole match.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4105 on: August 10, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »

He says that will only spend big on players of "super quality". Silvestre, Squillaci and Sol were brought in as cover not as main signings.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: August 10, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
Right now the only thing wenger covering is his ass
As long as the club making money, qualifying for champs league and fighting on several fronts with an outside chance to win
the board happy and wenger safe 

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4107 on: August 10, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hDBLSUKJiDY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hDBLSUKJiDY</a>

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: August 11, 2011, 06:40:10 AM »
Right I just want those two to go, enough disruptions already.

Enough dicking around

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: August 12, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »
So wenger quoted today as saying "we have 4 center backs we don't need any more"  :-[

1]; } ?>