April 26, 2024, 01:03:14 PM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 899233 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #4440 on: August 29, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »
How is it begrudging to say the Gunners were abject? United weren't superb. They were good. They were made to look better than good by ridiculously bad defending from Arsenal. Anyway I guess it's a matter of opinion but I really doh see how I could use the word "abject" and have it considered begrudging.

It's the whole tone of "they weren't that good, we were just bad"....comes off a lil begrudging  ;D  

Point is, as badly as Arsenal played, a merely good side may still not have scored 8.  It ain't easy to score 8 goals in a game even against poor opposition...Some of those goals were pretty memorable too...

Defensively Man U didn't look airtight, so you could argue that it wasn't a 100% complete performance, but it still hard tuh begrudge them the superb accolades.  Picture it if it was the other way around and be objective...How would you describe Arsenal's performance?  Just "good"? I doubt!!

But as you say, superb is subjective...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
abject or no abject...its 8...a rare occurence though...it hadda happen at least once ah season...i think with liverpool's resurgence and mancity storming the leage, this practically signals arsenal's suspension from the 'top 4'

doh even think norwich cud collect that

cue the Count

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5bqMDGWXO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L5bqMDGWXO8</a>

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4442 on: August 29, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »
Reminds me...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtwPTMr_akU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XtwPTMr_akU</a>

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: August 29, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
It's the whole tone of "they weren't that good, we were just bad"....comes off a lil begrudging  ;D  

Point is, as badly as Arsenal played, a merely good side may still not have scored 8.  It ain't easy to score 8 goals in a game even against poor opposition...Some of those goals were pretty memorable too...

Defensively Man U didn't look airtight, so you could argue that it wasn't a 100% complete performance, but it still hard tuh begrudge them the superb accolades.  Picture it if it was the other way around and be objective...How would you describe Arsenal's performance?  Just "good"? I doubt!!

Fair enough. I think I'm pretty critical of Arsenal's team when I look at their performances but I am probably not the best person to judge that. I'd be willing to say United's attack was superb but as an overall team performance (Arsenal also had a couple good scoring chances) I'd say good, even very good.

It was a big loss for us (worst since 1927) but I had come in expecting one, although not that bad. Like I said a few days ago, that was the weakest Arsenal team (on paper) we have seen in the last 5 years and probably the weakest we will see for the next 5. I could probably go even further and say that was the weakest Arsenal team I have ever seen including the period between GG leaving and Wenger taking over, although I ent no expert.

abject or no abject...its 8...a rare occurence though...it hadda happen at least once ah season...i think with liverpool's resurgence and mancity storming the leage, this practically signals arsenal's suspension from the 'top 4'

doh even think norwich cud collect that

Honestly I don't really see Liverpool as a convincing challenger for the top 4, granted neither is Arsenal at this stage. Thing is, this is pretty much rock bottom as far as Arsenal is concerned so they will probably only get better from here. Judging from the Arsenal v Liverpool game, with a team only a bit stronger than this week (until Frimpong got sent off) Pool not much better than that Arsenal side, which was also a weak one.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:18:53 PM by Dansteel - The Iceman »
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: August 29, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »
Reminds me...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtwPTMr_akU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XtwPTMr_akU</a>

Yorke = Legend  :salute:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »
Au revoir Arsene.
Yuh feel ? That board love he.

Granted, and for fairly sound reasons. However, the consequence of yesterday's loss is that a coalition of influential voices in opposition to him staying in place has definitely concretized. Whereas before much of their opposition could be categorized as based on philosophical differences, yesterday's loss provided a substantive basis on which to refute a couple prongs of his philosophy.

At the end of the day, I think one of Mr. Wenger's legacies is going to be that he took an expansive view of the role of a manager vis-a-vis the expenditure of pounds sterling ... a role that has not been embraced by many traditional British managers ... yet one that ultimately may redefine somewhat the managerial function and expectation.
This is not the first time there have been calls for head and he always come out. The relationship between him and the board is complementary. I get what you're saying , they could very well use him as a fall guy. But I figure it will be very difficult to find a better manager who will be that fiscally conservative which is what they live by at Arsenal.

I gather that Piers Morgan has called for Wenger's removal and that he's suggested Martin O'Neill as a replacement.

To get a sense of where Arsene is coming from google "financial fair play rules" and "wenger". You'll see a trajectory of interesting quotes from Wenger ... he's an activist. It's said that Arsenal is positioned to benefit from the FFPR and that this provides Wenger with a modicum of insulation.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: August 29, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
Dansteel your posts have me crackin up, yuh hardcore.  Maybe delusional but def. hardcore.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: August 29, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »
Dansteel your posts have me crackin up, yuh hardcore.  Maybe delusional but def. hardcore.
Gooner since 1991. Don't see how delusional though. I thought I was pretty even handed. But then if I was delusional I wouldn't see it, would I? ;D

:beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: August 29, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
Dansteel meant to say 'Absent'  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: August 29, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
Dansteel meant to say 'Absent'  ;D
Hehehe. Actually abject is bad enough. Absent might be nicer:

ab·ject
adjective
1. utterly hopeless, miserable, humiliating, or wretched: abject poverty.
2. contemptible; despicable; base-spirited: an abject coward.
3. shamelessly servile; slavish.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: August 29, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »
Reminds me...

Anybody watch the interview with Arsene at the end...had me rolling  :rotfl:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4451 on: August 29, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
Au revoir Arsene.
Yuh feel ? That board love he.

Granted, and for fairly sound reasons. However, the consequence of yesterday's loss is that a coalition of influential voices in opposition to him staying in place has definitely concretized. Whereas before much of their opposition could be categorized as based on philosophical differences, yesterday's loss provided a substantive basis on which to refute a couple prongs of his philosophy.

At the end of the day, I think one of Mr. Wenger's legacies is going to be that he took an expansive view of the role of a manager vis-a-vis the expenditure of pounds sterling ... a role that has not been embraced by many traditional British managers ... yet one that ultimately may redefine somewhat the managerial function and expectation.
This is not the first time there have been calls for head and he always come out. The relationship between him and the board is complementary. I get what you're saying , they could very well use him as a fall guy. But I figure it will be very difficult to find a better manager who will be that fiscally conservative which is what they live by at Arsenal.

I gather that Piers Morgan has called for Wenger's removal and that he's suggested Martin O'Neill as a replacement.

To get a sense of where Arsene is coming from google "financial fair play rules" and "wenger". You'll see a trajectory of interesting quotes from Wenger ... he's an activist. It's said that Arsenal is positioned to benefit from the FFPR and that this provides Wenger with a modicum of insulation.
You're right, I can think of at least 3 interviews where he used that term. He is an activist. Imagine their transfer record is only 15 million pounds for Andrei Arshavin.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: August 29, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Wenger is a good manager - he's proven that.  He just lacking quality right now.

His philosophy hasn't gotten him to the top of the heap in a while but he's consistently a top 3 team up until last season... I think calls for his head are harsh, but in the modern game I guess it's all about trophies...spend money and win trophies.   

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

giggsy11

« Reply #4453 on: August 29, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
Sagna was smart-he came down with the Old Trafford flu! :devil:

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: August 29, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »
Reminds me...

Yeah I saw that. His expression during that game back in 2001 was the same as his expression during the unfortunate events of Sunday's match. His hair was not as gray then, but the expression on his face was the same.

Ironically, he went on to preside over that legendary Arsenal team of 2003-04.

Perhaps a similar resurgence is in the offing.....

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »
Reminds me...

hear defener names i forgot about each time they were poor, stephanos and grimandi AND manniger was in goal, i remmber that day ANOTHER day when arsenal depleted by INJURIES

seems to me the obvious issues INJURIES and RIGHT NOW players arsene seems to over look

giggsy11

« Reply #4456 on: August 29, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
anyone see rosicky on the replay of rooney's first free kick goal?? d man cudnt give an ass whats going on

Ah watching it over-Rosicky look like he decided tuh take a walk once he heard the crowd roar! All he was missin was the bump in he walk!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: August 29, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »
Posted by Arsenal Transfers on August 29th, 2011

The first of what should be a flurry of signings tomorrow and before deadline day is André Santos. The 28 year old Brazilian will be signed from Fenerbache for around £6million and will give our left back role some much needed experience. He is 1.80 metres / 5ft 11 inches and has made 52 appearances for the Turkish club, scoring 10 goals. An excellent rate for a left back! However, lets hope he can defend first and foremost, then attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OQv7x_DDkw&feature=player_embedded

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: August 29, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
SOURCE

Arsenal begin rebuilding process with signing of Brazil left-back Andre Santos
Arsenal agreed a £6.2 million fee last night with Fenerbahce for the Brazil left-back Andre Santos and have also made an enquiry for Chelsea midfielder Yossi Benayoun.

With the transfer window closing tomorrow at 11pm, Arsene Wenger has begun taking decisive steps to try and strengthen a squad that was horribly exposed during Sunday’s 8-2 defeat against Manchester United.

A £4 million deal for South Korea striker Park Chu-Young – who is due to return to home to complete his national service in three years’ time – is likely to be announced today. It is understood that the initial fee for Chu-Young is as little as £2.5 million but could rise significantly according to add-ons, one of which is dependent on Park being excused his national service.

Arsenal are also poised to announce the signing of Santos, with Wenger having yesterday sanctioned the departure of Armond Traore to Queens Park Rangers .

Traore endured a particularly torrid afternoon during the Manchester United defeat and, while Kieran Gibbs is expected back from injury after the international break, Wenger has decided that he wants more experience in the left-back position.

Santos, 28, has the reputation as an attacking full-back and has made 22 senior appearances for the Brazil national team. He has the experience of playing in the Champions League and has been part of trophy-winning teams for both club and country.

As well as Santos and Chu-Young, Wenger also wants to add another defender and midfielder before tomorrow night. The interest in Benayoun is a slight surprise but, following the departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, he has been identified as a player who could offer both creativity and Premier League experience.

Benayoun indicated on his Twitter site that he is likely to leave Chelsea recently and gave up his number 10 shirt to new arrival Juan Mata. Liverpool and Lille are also monitoring the situation.

Wenger is also keen to reinforce in more central midfield areas. Of his initial targets, Marseille’s Lucho Gonzalez and Lille’s Eden Hazard now look almost certain to stay in France.

Everton have little interest in any swap deal involving Mikel Arteta for Nicklas Bendtner, while Rennes are holding out for around €30 million (£26.5 million) for Yann M’Vila.

Arsenal do, however, retain an interest in France midfielder Marvin Martin, who would be available at around £12 million. The situation regarding defenders is also complicated. Arsenal have already had bids rejected for Bolton’s Gary Cahill and Everton centre-back Phil Jagielka, while an enquiry has also been made to Chelsea over the availability of Alex.

That has not been followed up with a firm offer and there is an increasing sense that Cahill or Jagielka remain the most likely targets.

It is thought that Arsenal are prepared to go up to £12 million for Cahill, with the possibility of a further £3 million depending on appearances.

Cahill’s contract expires next season and so Bolton would risk losing him for nothing next year if they do not sell during this transfer window.

The well-documented financial restrictions at Everton could also make it difficult to refuse a significantly improved offer for Jagielka.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: August 29, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
anyone see rosicky on the replay of rooney's first free kick goal?? d man cudnt give an ass whats going on

Ah watching it over-Rosicky look like he decided tuh take a walk once he heard the crowd roar! All he was missin was the bump in he walk!

na he make up he mind he didnt care before that. i mean come on..like the others in the wall u have to anticipate a rebound to be cleared...at least show yuh care

giggsy11

« Reply #4460 on: August 29, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »

na he make up he mind he didnt care before that. i mean come on..like the others in the wall u have to anticipate a rebound to be cleared...at least show yuh care

I read that Van Persie had tuh shoo him and Arshavin back onto the pitch tuh clap the visiting fans!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: August 29, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »
How is it begrudging to say the Gunners were abject? United weren't superb. They were good. They were made to look better than good by ridiculously bad defending from Arsenal. Anyway I guess it's a matter of opinion but I really doh see how I could use the word "abject" and have it considered begrudging.

I too thought we were very good and not superb and amazing like most fans thought..

I think the fluidity and pace from the mid and strikers killed Arsenal's poor back 4.. I thought Jenkinson and Traore were woeful as were the 2 CB's who were their first choice CB's last season so I am not giving them any lack of experience get out of jail cards as these 2 shithongs had 1 entire season together...

United especially in the first half and early stages of the second were poor defensively and in CM but I put that down to our lack of experience with only Evra being the real experience out there... Anderson has experience but he is still 22.. Cleverley has been awesome but he too is only a kid and gets caught out of position due to over exuberance... Smalling is very very new to the RB role.. Jones is new and 19.. Evans despite his potential has some crazy decision making moments and is only 23 and then De Gea is 20 and hardly speaks English or has the confidence yet to bark out orders and keep his defense organised like a Van Der Sar would have

Our average age was less that Arsenal's... Our team had as many or more inexperienced players as Arsenal had ( Jones, Smalling at RB, Evans, Cleverley, Welbeck and De Gea vs Jenkinson, Traore, The little CM, Ramsey) 

Imagine If we had our most experienced backline and lets say Fletcher in CM with either Clev or Ando...  It would have been a blood bath

We were very good, not superb but we did punish that Arsenal team with our very own kids and hit the net 8 f**king times... Crazy stuff
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:34:56 PM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: August 29, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
Reminds me...

Yeah I saw that. His expression during that game back in 2001 was the same as his expression during the unfortunate events of Sunday's match. His hair was not as gray then, but the expression on his face was the same.

Ironically, he went on to preside over that legendary Arsenal team of 2003-04.

Perhaps a similar resurgence is in the offing.....

De BBM's!! lol  ;D
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28:51 AM »
It official now. Traore gone QPR. Thank God but please don't tell me we gonna play our best centre back there when Djourou and Squillaci in a mess?!?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: August 30, 2011, 06:44:57 AM »
SOURCE

Arsenal agreed a £6.2 million fee last night with Fenerbahce for the Brazil left-back Andre Santos and have also made an enquiry for Chelsea midfielder Yossi Benayoun.

great things is start with man name Andre.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: August 30, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
SOURCE

great things is start with man name Andre.

lol

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: August 30, 2011, 07:14:39 AM »
rumors! 24+hrs to dead line

Per Mertesacker-CB
Andre Santos-LB
Park Chu-Young - F
?????????? - Midfield?? Playmaker?

i just wanna point out Dan Steel made a good point, AA can play in the hole behind the front man or front two strikers

would like to see that formation

song , frimpong/wilshire
         AA
Walcott/Ox RVP Gervinho/Ryo
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:17:58 AM by GunnerStunner »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: August 30, 2011, 07:26:38 AM »
rumors! 24+hrs to dead line

Per Mertesacker-CB
Andre Santos-LB
Park Chu-Young - F
?????????? - Midfield?? Playmaker?

i just wanna point out Dan Steel made a good point, AA can play in the hole behind the front man or front two strikers

would like to see that formation

song , frimpong/wilshire
         AA
Walcott/Ox RVP Gervinho/Ryo

That is the best position for him.. he is a CAM not a LW like Wenger uses him

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: August 30, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »
Nasri - Arsenal can't compete

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11670_7138491,00.html

Former star delivers damning review of former club

By Patrick Haond.

Samir Nasri insists Arsenal can no longer afford to spend big in the transfer market.

Nasri completed his long awaited move to Manchester City last week before making his debut in the weekend win at Tottenham.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, meanwhile, saw his side crumble in humiliating fashion at Manchester United with an 8-2 loss, but Nasri says that the club have to change.

The France international insisted it was the right time for him to leave, telling l'Equipe: "Yes, it was [the right time to leave], there are sure signs.

"The departure of Cesc to Barcelona is one of them. The defeat against Birmingham in the League Cup final was very harmful for the minds.

"Arsenal remains a big club, but the building of Emirates Stadium changed a lot of things. It has changed the ambitions, so far. But it is not Arsene Wenger, it is the club's politics, the officials.

"Arsenal doesn't have the same funds. They can't make the same coups as before in the transfer market. They are rather forced to sell their best players and bet on young ones."

Nasri was asked about why did not extend his contract at Arsenal last year, but explained: "Why didn't I extend at Arsenal last autumn? They made me an offer and my advisers made another one.

"In this last one there was a clause that Arsenal officials didn't really accept.

"Then, it lasted. When they came back to offer me again in June, I made my decision. In my mind I wanted to leave, above all after the very difficult end to last season and I also already had nice contacts.

"At first Arsene Wenger wanted to keep me. Then, both clubs needed time to agree a transfer fee.

"My agents worked well. With the lawyers they wanted everything to be in order. When the transfer is big, you have to be patient. I am also happy Arsenal could get a nice fee. I prefer to leave that way than being a free agent. I did the same at Marseille. But that €28million fee doesn't put me under any pressure."
Happy

The French star maintains he was delighted to join City, despite links also to their city rivals United.

"From the start there was unanimity about my arrival at Manchester City. The coach, the executive director Garry Cook and chairman Khaldoun al-Mubarak, I felt everyone wanted me," he said.

"The players teased me for my first training session. They said: 'You needed time to come. We are waiting for you for one month and a half'. I know most of them, playing against them.

"Training with all those good players every day, I will improve. During sessions, there is a big intensity. At Arsenal it was already good, but here it is an upper level.

"When we finish the session with a match, you really feel like you're in an official competition. There are 22 players of a very high level. In the Premier League, very few clubs can show such wealth."

Nasri is yet to win a major trophy in his career and he is looking to out that right at City, adding: "You play football because you like it, but above all to win trophies.

"I am still dreaming about a national title, a cup or Champions League just like a kid.

"I want to feel satisfaction of a fulfilled season. Individually being named Player of the Year or being in the team of the league, that is reward but it can't replace the emotion of a trophy."

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »
He get #9? Welcome and good luck.

Arsenal to sign striker Chu Young Park

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-to-sign-striker-chu-young-park

Arsenal Football Club can confirm they have agreed to sign striker Chu Young Park from AS Monaco.

The 26-year-old South Korea captain scored 25 times in 91 appearances for the French club during three seasons in Ligue 1.

The one-time Asian Young Footballer of the Year made his debut for the South Korea senior side at just 19, and played in both the 2006 and 2010 World Cups. He replaced the retired Ji Sung Park as captain of the national team earlier this year.

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted to have signed Chu. He will add true quality to our attacking forces and will be a valuable addition to the squad.”

Chu Young Park said: "I am very honoured and I feel very happy to be at Arsenal. It is a dream to be here and I am really proud to be an Arsenal player. Now I just want to show how good I am and prove myself.

"In my opinion this is a great club, now I have to show what I can do on the pitch. I will do my best, I will never give up, I will show heart, I will give everything and I hope [the fans] will support me."

The deal is subject to the completion of formal registration processes.

Chu Young Park will wear the No 9 shirt at Arsenal. The striker prefers to be known as 'Ju' and will therefore have J. Y. Park as his shirt name.

1]; } ?>