March 29, 2024, 08:01:11 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 892019 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #4620 on: September 17, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »
Bakes you cannot be half pregnant. He was offside! The assistant referee on that side was poor all day, but say wha! So were many of the Arsenal players.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: September 17, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
Arsenal fans have been dealing with 8-2 jokes 4-3 weeks now

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: September 17, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
Bakes you are wrong, that offside was big time. The lineman was not even in line with the last defender. The fraction in side the 6 yard box is a big deal. He was clearly and plainly offside, no replay was necessary to show he was.

I am not arguing that he wasn't offside... when I say Santos "kept him on" I meant in the eyes of the linesman.  He scored because the defending was poor not because he was 6 inches offside... it is an absolute exaggeration to be saying he was "clearly and plainly" offside, replays showed just how close it was and there was nothing clear or plain about it and it didn't gain him any advantage.  The cross came in from the right side of the box and there was no one in front of him to deny the pass, Santos was on his back.  That is what led to the goal, Santos' poor positioning... offside would have just bailed him out.  That's like jumping off a building then complaining that the safety net failed.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:07:19 PM by Bakes »

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4623 on: September 17, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »
Bakes you are wrong, that offside was big time. The lineman was not even in line with the last defender. The fraction in side the 6 yard box is a big deal. He was clearly and plainly offside, no replay was necessary to show he was.

I am not arguing that he wasn't offside... when I say Santos "kept him on" I meant in the eyes of the linesman.  He scored because the defending was poor not because he was 6 inches offside... it is an absolute exaggeration to be saying he was "clearly and plainly" offside, replays showed just how close it was and there was nothing clear or plain about it and it didn't gain him any advantage.  The cross came in from the right side of the box and there was no one in front of him to deny the pass, Santos was on his back.  That is what led to the goal, Santos' poor positioning... offside would have just bailed him out.  That's like jumping off a building then complaining that the safety net failed.

How can you say it was offside but say the positioning was poor, when being offside is an outcome of the defensive positioning? Because he was behind the guy means nothing if he stepped up in time.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: September 17, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
Arsenal fans have been dealing with 8-2 jokes 4-3 weeks now
You're such an ass lol ohh jeez!

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: September 17, 2011, 12:24:45 PM »
Watched the game, shocking!!  Santos played Yukubo (sp) onside twice and Yak scored both. You could say the own goals were unfortunate but set plays and mistimed tackles did not help. I have no problems with the attacking (Walcott played well today) but the defense is a mess and it is all due to coaching!
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: September 17, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
How can you say it was offside but say the positioning was poor, when being offside is an outcome of the defensive positioning? Because he was behind the guy means nothing if he stepped up in time.

How can I say it?  Just as I did... yuh can't read?  He did not "step up" in time he absent-mindedly drifted forward... everything about his defending on that goal was passive and without focus.  It is clear from his body language that he wasn't actively trying to step up to work the offside trap, and by failing to do so he made the call close enough for it to go against his team.  His positioning was poor because he failed to get ball side of the attacking player.  It is elementary for any defender to position himself between the ball and the man... he was a spectator on the play, not only wasn't he trying to play Yakubu offside, but neither was he trying to deny him in the box.  If you want to argue and fight up to defend that kinda defending then by all means be my guest.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:36:06 PM by Bakes »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: September 17, 2011, 12:59:52 PM »
Lesson to Arsenal:  You have to pay your top players the going market rate, or else they will ride out into the sunset.  That's the only way they are going to attract and retain the top talent.  They looking real shaky in the back.  Not good at all, especially with dem "fair weather" fans they have.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: September 17, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »
Arsenal is a mess at the back, especially on set plays.

Wenger has good attacking ideas, but clearly his team struggle with defensive organization.
Maybe the fix is with an addition to the coaching staff. Someone who can work with the defending.
New left back looks a good player.
Gervinho is good quality
Ramsey still feeling his way.
No excuses against the likes of Balckburn NONE! Giving up 4 goals, seriously.

my sentiments exactly.  some of the goals were unlucky but still...excuses, excuses.   is 4 int'l defenders playing back there (altho the way djourou is playing these days u wonder how the hell he starting for the swiss)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: September 17, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

How can I say it?  Just as I did... yuh can't read?  He did not "step up" in time he absent-mindedly drifted forward... everything about his defending on that goal was passive and without focus.  It is clear from his body language that he wasn't actively trying to step up to work the offside trap, and by failing to do so he made the call close enough for it to go against his team.  His positioning was poor because he failed to get ball side of the attacking player.  It is elementary for any defender to position himself between the ball and the man... he was a spectator on the play, not only wasn't he trying to play Yakubu offside, but neither was he trying to deny him in the box.  If you want to argue and fight up to defend that kinda defending then by all means be my guest.

Santos coulda push up harder, but yuh's see that all the time on corners - if the ball doh clear the danger area properly (as it didn't) defenders will get caught between stepping up and staying home and sometimes get caught in between...because with the ball coming back in so quickly, it hard to clear yuh lines before it get whipped back in, and the offside trap attempt wil back-fire...No way Santos or V.Persie coulda picked up Yakubu in that split second that ball got whipped back in...Arteta (who was markin' Yakubu) stepped up and left him open in the hole...Both Santos and Van Persie kinda got caught in no man's land because they didn't step up hard... Yakubu cheated a yard (as you would expect a forward to do) to take a risk on the off-side and was fortunate to find a pocket where the linesman had a hard time making the call... It all happened so fast - harsh to call it poor defending - more hard luck... especially since Yak was actually offside and the call wasn't made. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: September 17, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
Lesson to Arsenal:  You have to pay your top players the going market rate, or else they will ride out into the sunset.  That's the only way they are going to attract and retain the top talent.  They looking real shaky in the back.  Not good at all, especially with dem "fair weather" fans they have.

But wait! They were losing when the had those players that left, so I don't get your point. Arsenal were among the top scorers last season, again they are scoring goals, but defending remains poor. No different from the last few seasons. As anyone who follows the club closely will tell you, their ability to defend at the back and in midfield is their main weakness. What is shocking for me as an untrained observer, is that they are so poor on set plays. This is one part of the game where you can be the most prepared and organized. Its either that, or they just too dam weak in the air, further compounded by a lack of aggression.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
Santos coulda push up harder, but yuh's see that all the time on corners - if the ball doh clear the danger area properly (as it didn't) defenders will get caught between stepping up and staying home and sometimes get caught in between...because with the ball coming back in so quickly, it hard to clear yuh lines before it get whipped back in, and the offside trap attempt wil back-fire...No way Santos or V.Persie coulda picked up Yakubu in that split second that ball got whipped back in...Arteta (who was markin' Yakubu) stepped up and left him open in the hole...Both Santos and Van Persie kinda got caught in no man's land because they didn't step up hard... Yakubu cheated a yard (as you would expect a forward to do) to take a risk on the off-side and was fortunate to find a pocket where the linesman had a hard time making the call... It all happened so fast - harsh to call it poor defending - more hard luck... especially since Yak was actually offside and the call wasn't made. 

Really?  Look I just watch it again adn I have to change some of what I said, but it hardly helps Arsenal's cause.  On the cross to the far post Arteta was indeed marking Yakubu, with Van Persie at some indeterminate position, and Santos on the near post, marking an area, rather than a man.  As the ball went to the far post it occupies everyone's attention, with Arteta rushing out towards the ball, leaving four men in the box: Yakubu, Nelsen, Van Persie and Santos.  Van Persie wasn't marking anyone, nor was Santos... although you could give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was trying to mark both Blackburn players.  Look at the video (not sure how long it will be up for):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WRvjvlVbFNk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WRvjvlVbFNk</a>

At 1:14 Yakubu "cheats a yard offside" as you said... Santos steps up off the goal line to set the trap just as the pass is about to be made.  At 1:15 Santos then steps back towards the goal line, and almost level with Yakubu, whose foot is maybe 6 inches offside, and whose lean puts his shoulder perhaps a foot offside, if that.  Watch Santos' movement during that whole time, and ask yourself who he's marking... or what he's doing really.  As if he didn't already make the case easier for the linesman to keep the flag down, he then steps again with Yakubu as the ball comes in, not towards the player, but sideways towards the goal line, shadowing Yakubu.

Was Yakubu offside?  Yes, absolutely.  But even if his left foot was six inches towards midfield and he wasn't leaning, putting him perfectly in line with Santos... in fact even if he was comfortably onside that goal was still scoring because of poor defending by Santos and Van Persie.  Offside didn't cause that goal, it was merely incidental to it.  Should the flag have gone up regardless? Absolutely.  But the defending was poor, I really don't see how you can say any differently.

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: September 17, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »
Somebody please disconnect Arsenal damn self-destruct button? I mean really. They are capable of far better defending than that. And send home Djourou sh*tty twin brother for the old Djourou please?!?
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: September 17, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
Yup - watched it - exactly as I remember it... They weren't committed in their movement so yeah ah supposed they do sh*t...

If you expected either Van P or Santos to pick up Yakubu in the moments between Arteta leaving him to rush the ball and the cross getting whipped back in, then what ah go tell yuh...To me that's asking plenty.  Should they have pushed up harder?  yeah - as ah say, they looked to be caught in the middle of nowhere because the ball never really cleared the danger area... As they say either yuh going or coming, not half of each. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »
Yup - watched it - exactly as I remember it... They weren't committed in their movement so yeah ah supposed they do sh*t...

If you expected either Van P or Santos to pick up Yakubu in the moments between Arteta leaving him to rush the ball and the cross getting whipped back in, then what ah go tell yuh...To me that's asking plenty.  Should they have pushed up harder?  yeah - as ah say, they looked to be caught in the middle of nowhere because the ball never really cleared the danger area... As they say either yuh going or coming, not half of each. 

Well we might just have to agree to disagree... but my whole point wasn't to demonize either Santos or Van Persie, I fault Santos for "keeping him onside", and still doh understand why after he stepped up correctly he then proceeded to keep Yakubu "onside".  Overall though, somebody needed to be marking Yakubu better than that and that to me reflects poor defending. It could very well be that I being too harsh on dem... Arsenal is a team I usually root for (unless rooting for them affects my team's performance or standing, in which case I root against them) because I like Arsene and I like that they try to play positive football.  Maybe is just my disappointment that causing me to be unfairly harsh on dem.  :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: September 18, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »

Well we might just have to agree to disagree... but my whole point wasn't to demonize either Santos or Van Persie, I fault Santos for "keeping him onside", and still doh understand why after he stepped up correctly he then proceeded to keep Yakubu "onside".  Overall though, somebody needed to be marking Yakubu better than that and that to me reflects poor defending. It could very well be that I being too harsh on dem... Arsenal is a team I usually root for (unless rooting for them affects my team's performance or standing, in which case I root against them) because I like Arsene and I like that they try to play positive football.  Maybe is just my disappointment that causing me to be unfairly harsh on dem.  :beermug:

Nah man my post probably didn't come out right, but I was actually agreeing that they didn't defend it well - they were not decisive in stepping up and ultimately fairly disorganized on the play...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: September 18, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »
Too many new faces and therefore no cohesion in defending the set plays I'm afraid. The team will take time to click but I only hope it's not too late. Worst start to a season in Wenger's reign. Worst goal difference in 30+ years. Sort it out quickly please! To quote Sarah Palin, "Drill baby, drill!"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:13:10 PM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4637 on: September 19, 2011, 06:56:52 AM »

Was Yakubu offside?  Yes, absolutely.  But even if his left foot was six inches towards midfield and he wasn't leaning, putting him perfectly in line with Santos... in fact even if he was comfortably onside that goal was still scoring because of poor defending by Santos and Van Persie.  Offside didn't cause that goal, it was merely incidental to it.  Should the flag have gone up regardless? Absolutely.  But the defending was poor, I really don't see how you can say any differently.

I not fighting up anything you know. I just find it pointless to be blaming a defender for an non-call by an assistant referee. Yes, it was close. Yes, he could have stepped up more. Yes, he could have been positioned differently. But all that doesn't really matter. Who cares if he would have still scored if he was onside? Why does that even mean anything? The point is he was off and the referee didn't see it. Everything else is secondary and has nothing to do with the offside rule. It was a tough call and it happens. On another day day the assistant might have raised his flag but this time arsenal were unlucky. That's football.  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: September 19, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »
I not fighting up anything you know. I just find it pointless to be blaming a defender for an non-call by an assistant referee. Yes, it was close. Yes, he could have stepped up more. Yes, he could have been positioned differently. But all that doesn't really matter. Who cares if he would have still scored if he was onside? Why does that even mean anything? The point is he was off and the referee didn't see it. Everything else is secondary and has nothing to do with the offside rule. It was a tough call and it happens. On another day day the assistant might have raised his flag but this time arsenal were unlucky. That's football.  :beermug:
I don't disagree... except, playing to get an offside call shouldn't be your primary form of defense, hence my contention that flag or no flag the play should have been defended better ("he was still scoring").

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: September 19, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
sickness
voodoo
something jus wrong man, need something extra f**king dramatic to wake shit up

now way playing like would you justify ever getting paid to perform like that. i the real job world men woulda been fired or on report already.

SOMETHING has to change, its the same khaki pants!

i mean rovers had 4 shots on goal! kos own goal wasnt even a shot at goal it was a cross back intop the 6yard box!
song like he blink or brain fart, until the ball hit him!~

tomorrow shrewsbury coming out for blood, any team coing at arsenal and we find it hard to win

we need to just put teams over our knees and flogg them mercilessly show no farkin respect for any side home or away! just get the job done! pretty football my arse we not even playing that anymore.

only thing pretty i want to see is silverware

yet we have a divided board, youngster earning more than they have earned, and senior players who should eanr more but find that more in pastures greener.

wake me when its over

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: September 19, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »
What is wrong is they have no cohesion in the back line and no defending from the front. That cohesion takes time for teams that use aggressive offside lines. Unfortunately, Arsenal made a lot of new signings and don't have enough time to integrate them properly, which is partly management's fault, partly circumstance.

Song own goal was just bad luck on his part. Up to that point he was having a MOTM performance, and honestly, I believe he is becoming one of the top holding midfielders in the Premier League. Maybe he could have done better, maybe he couldn't react fast enough. He was in an impossible position, which reflects on the team's defensive organisation. It is clear we need another dominant centre back leader so someone besides Vermaelen has to step up, because looking at Vermaelen's performances, I am sure Arsenal would have won trophies if he were fit last season. He in August he was a top 5 centre back in the league.

My suspicion is we will field a youth side against Shrewsbury. Maybe one or 2 veterans, but I hope Chamberlain and Ryo will play a part because they need to start playing quick.

On paper, Arsenal have at least a top 4 side. Stack up the starting XI against any team in the Premier League and Arsenal is a match for them in terms of personnel. The discipline and organisation is what needs work and quickly. I am sure Arsenal will regain Champions League form. My worry is that it will come too late for them to overhaul their rivals. But a bad first 5 games shouldn't scare us. Look at how Chelsea was blowing away sides at the start of last season (much like the Manchester clubs are this term) befor they hit a massive slump and couldn't recover in time.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: September 19, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
Most of this squad is new and the back line need to work together for a while with themselves and then the midfield. It will take time & unfortunately with the inconsistent start it creates anxiety.
                                              Thomas Paine

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: September 19, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
Like the young guns getting a run out tomorrow. With the side confidence low I still hoping for a good result but most important let's see what they have to offer. Looking forward to seeing the new boys in action.

Wenger – The players you will see on Tuesday

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-the-players-you-will-see-on-tuesday

Arsène Wenger says he is keen to let his youth players shine once more when Shrewsbury visit Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ryo, Francis Coquelin, Carl Jenkinson and Emmanuel Frimpong are all expected to feature for the Gunners in the Carling Cup clash.

Wenger’s selection policy paid dividends last season as his side reached the Final of the competition and the boss is ready to stick to his guns once more.

“We have a big squad now and we want to make use of that,” he told Arsenal.com.

“I will give a chance for young players to shine and find the right mixture in this competition between keeping our faith in young players and, of course, winning the games.

“That means having the right balance between experience and youth.”

Wenger confirmed that Arsenal’s home fans are set to catch their first glimpses of summer signings Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ju Young Park against the Shrews. And the starting XI will not be affected by Saturday’s defeat at Ewood Park.

“I had my team in my head before the Blackburn game and it will remain exactly the same,” Wenger confirmed.

“We will have Frimpong, Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ryo, and maybe one or two more. There is an also opportunity to see Park for the first time.

“Chamakh will also feature. You will also see Jenkinson start in his position. We will try to find a mixture between youth and experience.”

Watch Arsenal v Shrewsbury 'as live' on Arsenal Player shortly after the game finishes.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: September 19, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: September 19, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
 :devil: :rotfl:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: September 19, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »
Oh wait. Here's another joke. Arsenal is in a 6 year trophy drought.  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:16 AM »
long road to hoe, IF we win something over these jokers it will make the victory sweeter,
i shall not wine on dey head
i shall not shit on them from above
i shall not look at them in disdane
i shall not speak ill of them

i will thank them for making the acheivment all the more glorious
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:02:05 AM by GunnerStunner »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: September 20, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
long road to hoe, IF we win something over these jokers it will make the victory sweeter,
i shall not wine on dey head
i shall not shit on them from above
i shall not look at them in disdane
i shall not speak ill of them

i will thank them for making the acheivment all the more glorious

Pity Arsenal struggling so much these days. We could be showing these men how to win with class rather than money.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: September 20, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »
OK i stayed quiet about this because i was fuming mad when i read the "quotes" glad they aren't true, but wishing, hoping praying arsenal meet barca for a 3rd year running in champs league.
Cesc Fabregas has revealed he has received an apology, retraction and damages after a magazine published an article claiming the Barcelona midfielder said he left Arsenal because he feared a prolonged trophy drought for the club.

Cesc Fabregas re-joined Barcelona this summer for around £35 million
Sport magazine attributed quotes to Fabregas, 24, which were soon rejected outright by the former Arsenal skipper, who left the Gunners for Barcelona this summer for a fee in the region of £35 million.

Fabregas has now confirmed that the issue is in the process of being resolved. He wrote on his official Twitter account: "Got the apology and retraction from that magazine that made up an interview about me. Can't believe some journalists.

"I will also get ... damages that I will give to charity. Hope it teaches them a lesson. I would NEVER say a bad word about Arsenal Football Club."

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
OK i stayed quiet about this because i was fuming mad when i read the "quotes" glad they aren't true, but wishing, hoping praying arsenal meet barca for a 3rd year running in champs league.
Cesc Fabregas has revealed he has received an apology, retraction and damages after a magazine published an article claiming the Barcelona midfielder said he left Arsenal because he feared a prolonged trophy drought for the club.

Cesc Fabregas re-joined Barcelona this summer for around £35 million
Sport magazine attributed quotes to Fabregas, 24, which were soon rejected outright by the former Arsenal skipper, who left the Gunners for Barcelona this summer for a fee in the region of £35 million.

Fabregas has now confirmed that the issue is in the process of being resolved. He wrote on his official Twitter account: "Got the apology and retraction from that magazine that made up an interview about me. Can't believe some journalists.

"I will also get ... damages that I will give to charity. Hope it teaches them a lesson. I would NEVER say a bad word about Arsenal Football Club."

Let's hope the new signings click before UEFA "randomly" selects Arsenal v Barcelona again.

1]; } ?>