April 19, 2024, 08:17:14 PM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 896304 times)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #4920 on: November 29, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
Coquelin, Frimpong, and Chamberlin look like the real deal. Park looks way off Premier standard and Chamak not convincing as well, he eh scaring nobody.
Arsenal play some excellent football today, but suffered from a lack of a genuine striker to finshing the excellent work of the midfield and wide players.

Yes, a good game, These are some of the same players who were "in over their heads" for the Man U game earlier in the season. With all the hand wringing about goalies and defenders and the loss of Cesc and Nasri, Arsenal probably just need a couple good strikers.

The amount of running them fellas do in the middle of the park to close down Man City was amazing.

Every season Arsenal uncovers a gem .... This fella coqueline runs and runs and runsssss ..... !!!

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
Praise for Theo Walcott long overdue

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/7293799/theo-walcott-deserves-more-recognition-being-excellent-footballer-michael-cox

By Michael Cox
Special to ESPN.com

Arsenal fans have fewer player-specific chants than last season. They liked singing about Cesc Fabregas, of course, and Samir Nasri had a nice song to the tune of "Give It Up" by KC and the Sunshine Band, which will be revived for Tuesday's Carling Cup tie with Manchester City -- albeit with somewhat ruder lyrics. Robin van Persie's still a fan favorite and gets a nice chorus of his name, but there's only so many times you can sing "We've only got one song" before spoiling the joke.

The chant that got the most airtime during Saturday's home draw with Fulham was the simple, bellowed "Theo, Theo." Hardly the most nuanced chant, but that might be appropriate for hardly the most nuanced of players. Theo Walcott, as every English football fan will tell you, is about pace and little else.

Yet Walcott has become a terrific player over the course of 2011. His positioning is more varied; he links brilliantly with van Persie, surely the player of the calendar year; and only David Silva, Nani and Ashley Young have recorded more assists. Not bad for a player frequently criticized for a lack of an end product.

Walcott has always had the pace, but he has learned how to use it better. For the first few minutes against Fulham, he employed his speed to try to get in behind the defense. As soon as van Persie dropped deep between the lines, Walcott was on his way before the first pass had even reached the Dutchman. If Fulham left back John Arne Riise switched off for a second, Walcott was long gone. Had van Persie played the ball right to Walcott rather than left to the offside Andrei Arshavin in the first half, Arsenal wouldn't have had such a difficult afternoon.

But Walcott can do that only so often. There comes a point at which the opposition defends so deep that such a ball in behind is impossible -- the angle of the pass is too straight, and too likely to trickle through to the goalkeeper rather than slide into Walcott's path. A couple of years ago, Walcott spent entire games trying to encourage those through balls. It became predictable, Walcott too reliant upon that killer pass. "When I was younger, my teammates would kick it behind the defense and I'd run onto it and score," he told Arsenal Magazine last year. "It's not that easy anymore."

It certainly isn't. Now, Walcott's positioning is varied. Rather than incessantly going in behind (or making the run, stopping when the pass wasn't played immediately and then getting the ball when stationed next to the opposition left back), he drops off more, then speeds past an opponent with the ball. He did that brilliantly against Norwich's Marc Tierney for van Persie's equalizer in Arsenal's previous match.

Alternatively, because opponents are so keen to stand off and deny him space in behind, Walcott gets space for a cross. He has become adept at this skill -- Thomas Vermaelen's headed equalizer against Fulham came from one of his crosses; van Persie had a good headed chance from another; and Aaron Ramsey blazed over the crossbar when he should have hammered the ball into the net. Everything went down Arsenal's right, which reflected well on Walcott, especially because Arsenal didn't have any overlapping runs from right back, with Bacary Sagna injured and Johan Djourou not comfortable motoring forward.

It has taken a while for Walcott to become an all-round attacking threat. Perhaps, for a player frequently derided for his lack of footballing intelligence, he took a while to adjust to Arsene Wenger's methods. Wenger doesn't specifically instruct players; he puts them in environments during training that are intended for players to come to conclusions themselves. It's why he's so keen on playing five-a-side, for example.

"Five-a-side confronts the player with constant decision-making," Wenger told FourFourTwo. "When you receive the ball, you are faced with dozens of options. Your brain acts like a computer: It realizes it has been faced with this situation before and tries to come up with the right answer."

Van Persie explains Wenger's approach to correcting attacking moves. "I made a couple of little mistakes in a game," van Persie said. "He told me that a top player doesn't do those actions … it was up to me to find my answers. I was finding my own answers and that's how he helped me big-time." Van Persie is a player you can rely upon to find his own conclusions. For Walcott, it has taken longer.

Maybe that's why he had such trouble when given specific tasks by Fabio Capello ahead of last summer's World Cup. "I made a run inside from my position out wide on the right. Suddenly Mr. Capello started screaming at me at the top of his voice," Walcott recalls in his autobiography. "Training stopped and everyone stared at their feet and looked embarrassed. 'Theo,' he was yelling. 'I will kill you if you come inside like that again!'" Yet other players in England's training camp described the instructions as "simple," and to anyone who watched England under Capello in the buildup to 2010, it was obvious that he wanted his right winger to stay wide. Walcott just wasn't used to following orders.

His omission from that tournament spurred him on. "I just wanted to come back and prove people wrong, to make sure it didn't happen again," he said -- and he's now forcing opponents to alter their tactics to stop him. After Saturday's game, Fulham manager Martin Jol recalled the first half. "Walcott got a one-versus-one three times," he said. "You don't want that, and we tried to correct it." When Walcott got the ball in the second half, Fulham tried to double up against him, often with Dickson Etuhu. Gaps appeared elsewhere.

Walcott's still not perfect. He needs to arrive quicker at the far post when the ball is on the left to improve his goal-scoring tally, and he was partly responsible for the goal Arsenal conceded Saturday, when Riise broke past him.

But there seems a strange reluctance to accept that Walcott has become a fine footballer. A hat trick against Blackpool last season resulted in a "Match of the Day" montage that evening, demonstrating why he has "no football brain." After terrorizing Ashley Cole in Arsenal's 5-3 win at Stamford Bridge last month, one report read, "Credit where credit is due. Walcott was excellent."

Why so hesitant and forced? "Credit where credit is due" is hardly how you would praise or congratulate someone if the enthusiasm was genuine. It's not as if the performance was a one-off, either. Walcott's form has been good since he outwitted Cole in their previous meeting last Christmas.

Maybe the World Cup call-up in 2006 was the worst thing that could have happened to him; maybe he's a victim of a culture in which many are desperate for players to fail. Whatever the reasons for the negativity, Walcott is now a very good footballer, and it's time for him to get the recognition he deserves.

Michael Cox is a freelance writer for ESPN.com. He also runs zonalmarking.net
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: December 04, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Arsenal should buy Juan Vargas from Fiorentina. he is well suited to the Premier. A genuine wide player who can also play midfield.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: December 04, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
Think we need a genuine striker Chammak is done and Park I suspect is not up to scratch!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
Arsenal should buy Juan Vargas from Fiorentina. he is well suited to the Premier. A genuine wide player who can also play midfield.

If Chamberlain is the real deal...and Walcott playing well....and above all, Arsenal needs a striker to finish the good work of the wide men and midfielders, why would they buy yet another wide player in Vargas?  Shouldn't they be going after a striker? 

For me....if Pato is available...(he not exactly starting for Milan) they should go after him.  If not him, maybe Damaio from Internacional would be a good shout?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: December 04, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »

If Chamberlain is the real deal...and Walcott playing well....and above all, Arsenal needs a striker to finish the good work of the wide men and midfielders, why would they buy yet another wide player in Vargas?  Shouldn't they be going after a striker? 

For me....if Pato is available...(he not exactly starting for Milan) they should go after him.  If not him, maybe Damaio from Internacional would be a good shout?

Pato would be an excellent prospect but if he is available tho I suspect barca and those teams gonna go after him big time ... We have enough wide players and midfielders with Wilshire still to come back and Ryo (still need to get a good look at this kid).
I also suspect Arsene wants to reduce before he brings in players .. Arsharvin and Chammakk might be the unfortunate candidates we really need another effective striker ...  I dont know much about this Damaio youth .. but I understand he scored like 35 goals last season cyah be a bad prospect .. Podolski is an option but not sold on his scoring consistency ... Gotze is a midfielder and I don't think he'll go for him in January.
The position I feel needs a more consistent presence is that ramsey role .. even though he is doing an ok job.. I'm not sold on him ... I am looking at how Wilshire works out there when he recovers but we need a real forward in the event RVP goes down our backup options are not reliable options.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: December 04, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »
Because they do not have a genuine player wide left (who can play wide left).

Chamak will be lost to ANC anyway.

Gervinho when he played up front (his natural position) in the pre season he was scoring. To be fair to him he needs to get a shot at playing at his most comfortable position (to prove himself)

To get a striker of real quality now that is eligible for CL is a tough call. However, maybe Germán Denis, or Llorente may just do the business, but both are no Cavani  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: December 04, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
Because they do not have a genuine player wide left (who can play wide left).

Chamak will be lost to ANC anyway.

Gervinho when he played up front (his natural position) in the pre season he was scoring. To be fair to him he needs to get a shot at playing at his most comfortable position (to prove himself)

To get a striker of real quality now that is eligible for CL is a tough call. However, maybe Germán Denis, or Llorente may just do the business, but both are no Cavani  ;D

But the flanks is the position he played with Lille ... I think Sow played the striker role at Lille .... what was interesting was that against Man City Arsene played a 4-4-2 but I guess it was justified with the insane amount of work our two central mids put in ... but when Gervinho came on he put him on one of the midfield flanks .. so I'm not sure Arsene sees him as a striker .. he's not exactly the most clinical of finishers.
Besides regardless of which position he plays the runs he makes gives him opportunities but he isn't burying them. Podolski is left footed and has played the wide position for germany and above all is eligible for champions league football since his current club has not qualified for the champions league!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:41:00 PM by Ngozi »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
TriniGunners Facebook page real clear out dis thread boy!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:49 PM »
So, when Na$ri say he was leaving Arsenal to win trophies, I didn't realise he mean Europa League!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: December 07, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
So, when Na$ri say he was leaving Arsenal to win trophies, I didn't realise he mean Europa League!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

lol think he meant the carling cup !!!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: December 08, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »
Arsenal men making jokes bout winning trophies??

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: December 08, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »

Yuh acting like if Arsenal never win anything! So what if it's been 6yrs? Steups Lewwe we have some fun at the expense of the BOYchester clubs nah!  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: December 08, 2011, 01:34:17 PM »

Yuh acting like if Arsenal never win anything! So what if it's been 6yrs? Steups Lewwe we have some fun at the expense of the BOYchester clubs nah!  ;D

Big Up!
Oprah just bitter is all. She go cool down in a few weeks.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: December 08, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
News Flash:
Arsenal are hoping to lure Samir Nasri away from Manchester City with the promise of Champions League football.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: December 08, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
News Flash:
Arsenal are hoping to lure Samir Nasri away from Manchester City with the promise of Champions League football.
lol

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: December 08, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
sorry fellas been real bnusy these days and with the FB page Trini Warriors

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: December 08, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

What does "bnusy" mean?

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: December 09, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
Thierry Henry got his statue at the Emirates in celebration of the club's 125th anniversary! Legend14!  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: December 09, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »
Thierry Henry got his statue at the Emirates in celebration of the club's 125th anniversary! Legend14!  :beermug:

Big Up!
:applause: :notworthy:

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: December 09, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »

Thought that page was closed .. I tried to join it about a month a back and nada!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: December 09, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »

Thought that page was closed .. I tried to join it about a month a back and nada!

They opened a new one:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/trinigunners/

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:26 AM »
Golazzo!!!! By who else?

:notworthy:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: December 10, 2011, 11:27:33 AM »
Back to 4th (if City beat Chelsea on Monday we stay there). Of course our next league game is at City.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: December 10, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Back to 4th (if City beat Chelsea on Monday we stay there). Of course our next league game is at City.

that should be a good one if city plays an open game.  i feel we could beat them...their attack is top notch but that defense ain't nutten special.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: December 10, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
just in: th epentagon is doing research into modelling RVP left foot as a method of delivering precise military strikes...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: December 11, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »
just in: th epentagon is doing research into modelling RVP left foot as a method of delivering precise military strikes...
;D

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: December 11, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »

that should be a good one if city plays an open game.  i feel we could beat them...their attack is top notch but that defense ain't nutten special.
Yeah I not really nervous about facing City actually.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: December 11, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »

Probably becuz yuh know yuh cutass done booked.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: December 14, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »

Probably becuz yuh know yuh cutass done booked.

We shall see. They said that about Arsenal going to Chelsea. They even said it about Chelsea hosting Manchester City. I am confident that Arsenal can win at City. City is a good team despite Mancini and will be difficult to beat but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:20:57 AM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

1]; } ?>